Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

the hea

Great to see that Van Gaal keeps on giving chances to our young players, will be interesting to see if he plays at RB or CB.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He was great at right back away at Swansea last season when he was randomly thrown in.

Oh no, wait, he wasn't. Poor kid, being horribly managed.
:lol: embarrassing.

Sam

:lol: embarrassing.
No, just true.

He had a few shockers away last season actually. The kid is clearly talented, and I think has a promising future. But randomly throwing him in for games like this, especially out of position, is poor management.

diarm

Just complained about this on another thread. Was bang out of order I think.

We conceded one goal from a corner and defended very well otherwise. McNair came back in after a while out and I thought did well.

Our attack has been shite for 12 months and he's never singled one of them out for such public criticism.

saivet

Not see his comments, but I do think he was poor today.

Raw

I'm actually quite annoyed that LVG singled him out like that. Young players can't be doing with that.

drdoityourself

Fine performance, petty from van Gaal, strange philosophy. Digs into the youngsters at any opportunity yet walks on eggshells around the senior players. You would think it would be the other way around. Build the youngsters up.

prateik

He was alright. Smalling was the star defender. Blind was the ball playing defender.
McNair was the 3rd guy. Who had little to do.
Made a mistake. The 2 defensive midfielders and 4 defenders on the pitch didnt do enough to cover for him. And he gets the blame.

He is young, probably too bored watching us play keepball at 1-1. I don't blame him much.

Van Gaal is just deflecting from our other problems

Ludens the Red

I don't remember McNair doing anything terrible at any stage, thus making his performance significantly better than Darmian, Carrick, Rooney and Young's, not sure why LVG has had a go but left others out.

Devil may care

He was ok, young and learning in a shitty formation under a hostile crowd, LvG can feck off and suck Rooney's nob with the singling a youngster out cowardice.

ZDwyr

I thought he did alright. A few errors but that is understandable considering he hasn't played in a while.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Was shit but it's difficult when he isn't a fullback and seemingly doesn't have the skills (dribbling, pace, passing/crossing) to play there and provide an attacking threat. Really did play like a CB at fullback.

He was very poor. A professional should never be passing the ball out or running it out, and he did both today.

kundalini

I can think of quite a few central defenders who looked very ordinary at right back. Normally McNair looks reasonably composed on the ball but not today.

Devil may care

Other than against lower league opposition he's struggled at RB, definitely don't see his future there.

Kag

His mentality is such a big issue. Again, a couple of little mistakes have such a negative influence on the rest of his game, to the extent that it falls apart completely.

It's actually quite rare for a United academy product to lack resilience and confidence.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's not a right back. He always looks impressive when he plays at centre back. I just don't think he's good in those tight spaces along the touchline. Smalling and Jones had similar performances when played at full back. I don't know why LvG keeps persisting with it and then dragging him off early, which will do nothing for his confidence.

I think he has a future here. We just need to stop playing him at full back, which we constantly lambasted when Smalling and Jones played there.

criticalanalysis

I've never been that impressed with him at centre back or right back? He was a midfielder right at youth? He needs to have the pitch in front of him not down the touchline and in his own penalty box.

Poor management from LVG imo.

DocRockter

Him going to Mata and then taking the free-kick was interesting to see.. Put one or two good crosses in but defensively quite iffy..

Robbie Boy

I honestly don't see what some on here see in the guy. I even read tripe saying he can be as good as Stones; I mean what, just what! He's not good enough. It's all well and good brining through youth team players but not just for the sake of it.

khoazany

I honestly don't see what some on here see in the guy. I even read tripe saying he can be as good as Stones; I mean what, just what! He's not good enough. It's all well and good brining through youth team players but not just for the sake of it.
He's still learning the defensive side of the game.He might or might not turn out to be good enough but people need to understand that.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
So quick to rule out young players, some people need to see that Chris Smalling is 26 and is having his first world class season for Man Utd.

Roboc7

He is only involved in first team because of injuries, he is nowhere near ready.

Personally I don't think he is a great prospects he is just a decent player who has come through the academy who has been in the right place at the right time, he needs a couple of years out on loan to have any chance of having a long term future here.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He has only looked good at RB against that cup match vs a lower division team.

He seems to be one of LVG's youth 'projects' which he always seems to have though, so I expect him to get plenty of chances.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
He's awful and will never be good enough to play at this level.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Any word why Young didn't start at RB today?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He's not a RB. He played at CM for U18s and CB for the U21s.

I hate seeing him stuck out there, it's unfair to him. Varela at FB is a better option, definitely.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He was a colossus away at Stamford Bridge last year. Plays well when ball-playing cb with the freedom to launch the attacks from time to time. I think he could make a decent DM if played that way since the academy days but our coaching far more knowledgeable opinion of his skills means they try to fetch him a good career at CB. My view is he can make a decent one no problem.

Last edited:

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Yesterday, there were moments when he found himself on the right side of the halway line with the whole wing in front of him and two opponents for company. not really Paddys thing, moreso because of audible urges to go at them. No other United player there to help him out, let alone his winger Mata who's probably dancing in circles somewhere in the centre mid at that time. With his game style you either go on a gallop hoping to get a foul/corner or pass it back.

RB won't work. CB/DM could perhaps but too many factors influencing his progress.

I'd give him time. He's well above Blackett, though, whom I never quite understood the point of.

ZDwyr

He obviously isn't a RB and shouldn't be played there. So I won't be too harsh on him but it was a bad game.

kundalini

His mentality is such a big issue. Again, a couple of little mistakes have such a negative influence on the rest of his game, to the extent that it falls apart completely.

It's actually quite rare for a United academy product to lack resilience and confidence.
Good point. I noticed it last season a few times.

Acole9

Outstanding
He looks better at centre back than at right back. I don't know why we keep playing him there, it all seems to be based on one decent performance against a League Two side in an FA Cup replay at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.