Park Ji Sung

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
try to consider valencia was playing for wigan and park united, i dont need to go into more detail really.
I've gone to get stats to furher back up my argument but found that Wigan have scored a paltry amount of goals in these last three seasons :nervous:

Either way, he's not that much more productive than Park has been, given that he's played about one and a half times the amount of games.

Fergies Formula

I've gone to get stats to furher back up my argument but found that Wigan have scored a paltry amount of goals in these last three seasons :nervous:

Either way, he's not that much more productive than Park has been, given that he's played about one and a half times the amount of games.
Just look what he has given us though in the games he has played in. Do you not think: he beats his man more regularly? stretches the defense? gets to the by-line to whip balls in?? the goal against bayern was a sign of things to come, and of course he is more exciting to watch?

He makes things happen and has great potential, the stats arent really a fair comparison considering that at wigan he was in an average team, one who wouldn't dominate possession and one which wouldn't be creating chances for him every game and have players to always there to finish, its very different circumstances.

Do you think park should be a starter for us then? and why?

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Just look what he has given us though in the games he has played in. Do you not think: he beats his man more regularly? stretches the defense? gets to the by-line to whip balls in?? the goal against bayern was a sign of things to come, and of course he is more exciting to watch?

He makes things happen and has great potential, the stats arent really a fair comparison considering that at wigan he was in an average team, one who wouldn't dominate possession and one which wouldn't be creating chances for him every game and have players to always there to finish, its very different circumstances.

Do you think park should be a starter for us then? and why?
I think the attacking role that Park plays is underappreciated, and further to this think that he'll be playing a different role this season (same as Rooney, same as Berba) - his first two seasons here showed us that he's well capable of crossing and beating a man (just look at his assist for Rooney at the Riverside in 2008, in what was a 'backs against the wall' situation). Like Rooney these last few campaigns he's been deployed in ways that helped play up the game of the Best Player in the World at that time, which is entirely understandable.

He makes things happen not just in terms of passing and shooting, but with his pressure as well (example: Rooney's goal v City last season), and I don't think it's fair to immediately replace him with Valencia and Nani because ostensibly they're going to assist more and score more than him in our new system, with no game evidence to back this up - it's akin to saying that we should drop Berba for Owen from the start of the season because we've got a new system.

At the moment I do consider him a starter, yes. He didn't have the best preseaon, due to injury, and his showing at Burnley was definitely poor, as was the performances of Anderson, Carrick, and Owen. I do think until Nani starts taking his chances, and Valencia proves himself, that Park is a starter, yes.

Also Valencia scored against Boca.

Fergies Formula

I think the attacking role that Park plays is underappreciated, and further to this think that he'll be playing a different role this season (same as Rooney, same as Berba) - his first two seasons here showed us that he's well capable of crossing and beating a man (just look at his assist for Rooney at the Riverside in 2008, in what was a 'backs against the wall' situation). Like Rooney these last few campaigns he's been deployed in ways that helped play up the game of the Best Player in the World at that time, which is entirely understandable.

He makes things happen not just in terms of passing and shooting, but with his pressure as well (example: Rooney's goal v City last season), and I don't think it's fair to immediately replace him with Valencia and Nani because ostensibly they're going to assist more and score more than him in our new system, with no game evidence to back this up - it's akin to saying that we should drop Berba for Owen from the start of the season because we've got a new system.

At the moment I do consider him a starter, yes. He didn't have the best preseaon, due to injury, and his showing at Burnley was definitely poor, as was the performances of Anderson, Carrick, and Owen. I do think until Nani starts taking his chances, and Valencia proves himself, that Park is a starter, yes.

Also Valencia scored against Boca.

fair enough, at least you justify your point of view. I am of the impression that our wingers now need to be able to have great ability, a good first touch and be able to relieve the pressure from the midfield by forcing something to happen and putting the defense on the back foot, I feel in the final third both nani and valencia have more of an unpredictable style about them, where as park is a player who is better at stopping the opposition playing with his energy and spacial awareness.

I believe this even more so now that ronaldo has left, when ronaldo was given no defensive responsibility because he was so good at going forward park made up for his freedom with his dogged work. Losing that quality in ronaldo means we need to gain some in other areas, so i would prefer to see two skillful yet hard working wingers to help out the strikers in the quest for goals and assists.

Your right it was Boca

chewingkebabs

The thing I have noticed about this place and some other United forums is that Park is always the scapegoat whenever things go wrong, and he rarely gets credit when things go right.

In the last game and the CL final, you would've thought from some of the comments here that Park singlehandedly lost the game for us. The entire team, save a couple of players, played badly. Somehow a few bad games negated an entire season and a half where he regularly started and played a key role in winning the CL.

Park is what he is. He's a defensive workhorse, he makes great runs into spaces, he runs his socks off. Bad points are that he can't score in a brothel and he gets bullied off the ball too easily. You can't blame him for not scoring a wondergoal, just as you can't blame O'Shea for not dribbling through 4 defenders.

I think Fergie likes that Park is so consistent. He gives you 100% effort, no matter what. Whereas Nani doesn't always give you that.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Park isn't good enough for United. Lots of people really, really want him to be, but he just isn't.

Backup player at best. Shouldn't be starting this many games for us, especially with Ronaldo gone.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Park isn't good enough for United. Lots of people really, really want him to be, but he just isn't.

Backup player at best. Shouldn't be starting this many games for us, especially with Ronaldo gone.
I agree. He can do the job when you need steel and workrate on the flanks and had become important for United because of that (due to Ronaldo's lack of workrate) but yes I can't see him be as important to us as he was during that season anymore.

championo

Top Stalker
My only problem with Park is his boots, he always looks like he is ice skating or something. If he can stay on his feet, he can help us. He falls at the most inopportune time.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

"starting this many games" feck off. He has started ONCE this year in 2 games.
He is vital for tough away ties and thats where he will get most of his starts and frankly he is perfect on the wing in these games.

He had a bad game at Burnley but he is actually one of our most consistant players and rarely plays a bad game.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
The thing I have noticed about this place and some other United forums is that Park is always the scapegoat whenever things go wrong, and he rarely gets credit when things go right.

In the last game and the CL final, you would've thought from some of the comments here that Park singlehandedly lost the game for us. The entire team, save a couple of players, played badly. Somehow a few bad games negated an entire season and a half where he regularly started and played a key role in winning the CL.

Park is what he is. He's a defensive workhorse, he makes great runs into spaces, he runs his socks off. Bad points are that he can't score in a brothel and he gets bullied off the ball too easily. You can't blame him for not scoring a wondergoal, just as you can't blame O'Shea for not dribbling through 4 defenders.

I think Fergie likes that Park is so consistent. He gives you 100% effort, no matter what. Whereas Nani doesn't always give you that.
The difference is that O'Shea is a stop gap, he comes in when our first and second choice defenders are injured and does a decent job. Park, despite what many describe about his squad status, is a first teamer right now. He has got to be one of the weakest in any of the top 4, perhaps even top 6 clubs.

Also the reason that he gets scapegoated often (sometimes wrongfully) is that he is a limited player, work rate and some tireless runs is all he can offer. At least Tevez can actually threaten the opposition at times, and score some important goals so naturally people will start pointing fingers when Park contributes little to nothing.

CptMarvel

Great player for games where you have a Maicon and Messi attacking down the same flank, waste against Burnley.

Would like to have seen Ferguson experiment with him in the middle during Hargos absence, had it been tried and worked we could have used him in the CL final.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
My only problem with Park is his boots, he always looks like he is ice skating or something. If he can stay on his feet, he can help us. He falls at the most inopportune time.
That's not really boots, that's core strength and balance.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
"starting this many games" feck off. He has started ONCE this year in 2 games.
He is vital for tough away ties and thats where he will get most of his starts and frankly he is perfect on the wing in these games.

He had a bad game at Burnley but he is actually one of our most consistant players and rarely plays a bad game.
Park doesn't do enough with the ball when he has it. Simple as that. Lots of work for the team, few assists, very few goals.

He is not what this team needs at the moment. Lack of end product from any of our front four/five players is going to cost us a lot more this season than last, for obvious reasons.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Kuyt is like a Park that can offer something in attack, and score/assist reasonably well too.

I think Parks main role for the last couple of seasons was to act as a counterbalance to Ronaldo - providing defensive workrate and energy in contrast to Ronaldo's all-out-attack mentality. With the latter of those gone, it really just eliminates the need for a winger in the mould of Park.

With that said, if I were Fergie, I would seriously consider using Park in central midfield to provide some of that same energy and workrate that we are so often lacking in the middle of the park, against teams such as Barca, Arsenal or Chelsea that try to dominate in the middle - and often succeed against us.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Kuyt is like a Park that can offer something in attack, and score/assist reasonably well too.

I think Parks main role for the last couple of seasons was to act as a counterbalance to Ronaldo - providing defensive workrate and energy in contrast to Ronaldo's all-out-attack mentality. With the latter of those gone, it really just eliminates the need for a winger in the mould of Park.

With that said, if I were Fergie, I would seriously consider using Park in central midfield to provide some of that same energy and workrate that we are so often lacking in the middle of the park, against teams such as Barca, Arsenal or Chelsea that try to dominate in the middle - and often succeed against us.
Then they have nothing in common

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
Say what you like but he sucks. Glad he was'nt in the team today.
He doesn't suck, he was brilliant for us at times last season. He did the hard and dirty work thereby opening up spaces for the likes of Ronaldo and disburdening our defense. Without getting much acknowledgement from the fans for it.

I agree in that his time should be up now with Ronaldo gone. We have not many players in our team that are a goal threat and we need at least one attacking wing. Park was a pivotal player when Ronaldo was here, now he should be just a backup player.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
I agree with the sentiment that we performed much better without him against Wigan. But that is probably down to the fact that Nani had a good game for a change, Nani was very threatening with the ball at his feet, unlike Park who tbf, his game isn't based on penetrating dribbles or blazing speed. I still think that Park is only useful as long as we don't sign another quality winger and Nani is not yet consistent enough.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just signed a new deal. According to his agent anyway.

09-14-2009 17:41

Park Ji-sung Gets New Deal With Man Utd

Korea's first English Premier League (EPL) player, Park Ji-sung, has agreed to a new three-year deal with Manchester United. The value of the deal was not disclosed but is said to be worth about 7.3 billion won per year.

Korean football star Park Ji-sung has reportedly agreed to a new multi-year contract with last year's English Premier League (EPL) champion Manchester United.

"Park and Man United agreed on a three-year deal. The contract will expire June 30, 2012. But we can't reveal the salary due to a mutual agreement," Park's agency, JS Limited, told the press on Monday.

Some reports have said the 28-year-old will earn 3.6 million pounds (7.3 billion won) a year and the agency confirmed his salary is in that neighborhood.

It had been rumored that Park would sign a four-year deal worth about 65,000 pounds a week, less than the 70,000 pounds a week he has reportedly agreed to. Park had left contract negotiations to his agent but did insist on a three-year deal instead of four.

Park scored two goals and added two assists while playing in 25 of United's 38 premiership games last season. He also became the first Asian footballer to play in the UEFA Champions League final.

While Park has been criticized for his lack of offensive production, manager Sir Alex Ferguson and his teammates have praised him for his unselfish play.

Some were concerned that his place on the team might have been in jeopardy and that a new contract may not have been completed with the emergence of midfielders Antonio Valencia and Nani, who have already produced quite well offensively this season.

Over his last 10 seasons as a professional footballer, Park has seen his salary rise tremendously. The first contract he signed was with Kyoto Sanga FC in 2000, which paid him around 400 million won annually.

Park then moved to Europe, joining Dutch squad PSV Eindhoven where his salary more than doubled to 600,000 euros (840 million won).

The Seoul native signed with Manchester United in 2005 for a deal worth 2 million pounds (3.8 billion won) and then re-signed the following year for 2.8 million pounds (5.2 billion won).

Since then, his salary has risen gradually - 3 million pounds in 2007-08, 3.1 million pounds in 2008-09 - to his lastest agreement, which is worth 18 times more than his first pro contract.

Park also becomes the seventh highest paid Red Devil behind Rio Ferdinand (120,000 pounds per a week), Wayne Rooney (110,000 pounds), Dimitar Berbatov (100,000 pounds) and others. Michael Owen (50,000 pounds) and Nani (30,000 pounds) are among the players who make less than Park.

Link
Funny the way his agent refuse to release the details of his salary but the newspaper goes on to state as fact that he's become the seventh highest earner at the club. Looks like the Korean press are just as bad as the local rags when it comes to publishing unsubstantiated nonsense.

I'm pleased he's got a new contract. He's been a quality player for us and played a big part in our recent success.

He played like a bag of shite in his first start this season, mind you, and I fully expect this contract to provoke the usual barrage of criticism from those who refuse to allow any United player a dip in form. Ho hum. C'est la caf.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
I remember so many vital moments that Park contributed to Uniteds 3 PL and 1 Cl so people who are actually saying he provides nothing in attack must seriously watch more of him than judge him by his stats.

Park is kind of like Fletcher, big game player. Knocked it on Barca, Scored Vs Arsenal last season, scored Vs Chelsea and contributed much much more to United's game then people suspect. If he's shit, he would've been shown the door ages ago by SAF.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Just signed a new deal. According to his agent anyway.

Funny the way his agent refuse to release the details of his salary but the newspaper goes on to state as fact that he's become the seventh highest earner at the club. Looks like the Korean press are just as bad as the local rags when it comes to publishing unsubstantiated nonsense.

I'm pleased he's got a new contract. He's been a quality player for us and played a big part in our recent success.

He played like a bag of shite in his first start this season, mind you, and I fully expect this contract to provoke the usual barrage of criticism from those who refuse to allow any United player a dip in form. Ho hum. C'est la caf.
Great player, a vital asset in Europe and a model pro. A well deserved contract. Says a lot that he was promised a move to chelsea if he stayed a year longer at PSV but he chose us, at a time when players were turning us down left right and centre. No gratitude from our fans I guess.

Decotron

Great player, a vital asset in Europe and a model pro. A well deserved contract. Says a lot that he was promised a move to chelsea if he stayed a year longer at PSV but he chose us, at a time when players were turning us down left right and centre. No gratitude from our fans I guess.

Its a shame alright. I hate the way people focus on what he doesn't do rather than appreciate what he brings to the team. Agreed on his importance in Europe.

Chris H

Video Posting God
To those of you who cringe every time you see Park on the teamsheet, I wish you a very uncomfortable three more years. Suck it, you whining bunch of spoiled muppety brats.

Rant over. Ah, that feels better.

He earned that new contract with his performances last season. Unfortunately he didnt end it on a high note and has started slowly this year. But we shouldnt quickly forget how useful he is to our team. When he's at his best he brings energy, workrate and intelligent spatial awareness to our game. He's a different kind of winger/attacking midfielder to others and provides his own distinctive quality.

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
Funny innit. On here we rightly laud park for his contribution to the team and club and over on red issue they have a whole thread saying how shite he is. I wonder why the views are so contrasting?

Merman

Funny innit. On here we rightly laud park for his contribution to the team and club and over on red issue they have a whole thread saying how shite he is. I wonder why the views are so contrasting?
Have you read this thread? At least the original post?

Adebesi

Ive always been a big fan of Park, I like his heart. But I do understand people being excited about Nani and Valencia coming good. It is always nice to see United playing with real width and balance. Plus, you get the sense with those two that they have the potential to be much better players than Park, though neither of them are at the moment. I would love to see Nani especially fulfil his potential.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Nice to see us tie him down on a new contract but having said that SAF has to use him wisely.. He is rubbish when he is not used well.. He should have been the one removed on 45 mins in the CL Final against Barcelona.. But anyway IMO Park should never be a regular starter at this club.. Having said that.. I am certain he is very pivotal to our success and should play a decent role in our season(s) to come..