Patrice Evra Hates Thursdays | West Ham on a free?

Runner

Disappointed by Evra, always liked him as a character but think he's out of order striking a fan. At 36 this could be the end of a great career and it'll be a shame if it is. Many fond memories of him playing for us.

GrandJury

GrandJury

If he was racially abused. Great job

If he was just insulted then that's poor form from. His experienced enough to hand it.
If words were used in a certain way that’s racist...good job?

If it’s any other words aimed at him it’s wrong?

Do you see the problem here?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I assume none of you have experienced racism then, it’s not just something you can shrug your shoulders at. “Oh well, he might get banned from the ground” won’t have gone through Evra’s head.

GrandJury

I’m going to be honest. The way Liverpool fans defended Suarez regarding the incident with Evra was disgusting.

The way people are already assuming racism and trying to justify Evra kicking someone in the head is disgusting too.

Great job people. You are just as bad.

GrandJury

I assume none of you have experienced racism then, it’s not just something you can shrug your shoulders at. “Oh well, he might get banned from the ground” won’t have gone through Evra’s head.
Well I’m Bi, and I’ve experienced homophobia, and no that doesn’t justify me assaulting someone because I’m a grown god damn man who understands violence because of insults is not a good enough excuse for me to attack someone.

Anyone defending this is frankly a piece of shit.

idmanager

If its racism, hopefully Evra comes out with a scathing statement against the bullshit that is stuff like Kick Racism out of football. Might even be his only way out.
Having seem him over so many years, he is not someone who loses it so easily.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I can think of a few examples of things people could say to me that might see me attack them. In all those cases I'd be wrong to do so though. Racist comments or not, reacting by physically attacking people is wrong, which is why you'd likely get punished for it. The same applies to Evra, even if I do have a lot of sympathy for footballers in terms of the abuse they have to put up with from crowds.

Assuming racism in this case is odd too.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Evra deciding to one-up Zidane in the game of crazy ways to end a glittering career.

If its racism, hopefully Evra comes out with a scathing statement against the bullshit that is stuff like Kick Racism out of football. Might even be his only way out.
Having seem him over so many years, he is not someone who loses it so easily.
If that is the case, he should be applauded by Kick Racism out of football for taking their message so literally.

GrandJury

I can think of a few examples of things people could say to me that might see me attack them. In all those cases I'd be wrong to do so though. Racist comments or not, reacting by physically attacking people is wrong, which is why you'd likely get punished for it.

Assuming racism in this case is odd too.
Well said especially the bold.

Lennon7

Well I’m Bi, and I’ve experienced homophobia, and no that doesn’t justify me assaulting someone because I’m a grown god damn man who understands violence because of insults is not a good enough excuse for me to attack someone.

Anyone defending this is frankly a piece of shit.
But the man (allegedly) throwing racial insults at Evra is a confirmed piece of shit. As I said, I don't generally agree with violence but you can see why Pat saw red. It makes sense standing up for yourself, mate.

diarm

I’m going to be honest. The way Liverpool fans defended Suarez regarding the incident with Evra was disgusting.

The way people are already assuming racism and trying to justify Evra kicking someone in the head is disgusting too.

The terrible posts just keep on coming.

People hypothesising about whether such actions would be justified as a reaction to racist abuse, are just as bad as people who wore t-shirts and publicly defended a confirmed and admitted racist?

Take a second.

GrandJury

But the man (allegedly) throwing racial insults at Evra is a confirmed piece of shit. As I said, I don't generally agree with violence but you can see why Pat saw red. It makes sense standing up for yourself, mate.
I don’t think violence is juatifyable regardless of words that have been spoken. This isn’t standing up for himself, this is assaulting someone.

GrandJury

The terrible posts just keep on coming.

People hypothesising about whether such actions would be justified as a reaction to racist abuse, are just as bad as people who wore t-shirts and publicly defended a confirmed and admitted racist?

Take a second.
The people assuming that this happened from racist abuse blindly defending Evra when we know nothing are just as bad as the people blindly defending Suarez when they know nothing.

Learn to read what I’ve actually posted. I’m clearly talking about the initial reaction, and yes there’s hypocrisy everywhere.

Take a second to read and think.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Exactly. I don't think many understand the feeling of being a victim of racism, it makes you feel like you're not human in someone else's eyes. Disgusting. One of the worst things that can come out of someone's mouth.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The people assuming that this happened from racist abuse blindly defending Evra when we know nothing are just as bad as the people blindly defending Suarez when they know nothing.

Learn to read what I’ve actually posted. I’m clearly talking about the initial reaction, and yes there’s hypocrisy everywhere.
To be fair, I don't think it's just because it's Evra. I think we're predisposed to expect any black player acting like this to be because of racism given how much we hear about it in football. I do agree with you though about not mindlessly defending him without hearing the full story.

stevoc

:lol: Very good.
As soon as i saw your user name i got a flash from the past, Ajax and winger popped into my head. Googled it and sure enough Babangida a winger who played for Ajax in the 90's i had completely forgotten about.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It is indeed easy to see why Evra might have reacted. That doesn't mean his behaviour is justified though. Physically attacking someone because you don't like something they said is scumbaggy behaviour, even if the victim also happens to be a scumbag.

Lennon7

I don’t think violence is juatifyable regardless of words that have been spoken. This isn’t standing up for himself, this is assaulting someone.
Racial abuse should not be taken lightly. There should be consequences. Maybe kicking someone is too far but they deserve it.

It's not like Evra is a thug. He shouldn't and didn't have to put up with it.

This is all assuming he was racially abused. If he kicked him for very little reason then I'm not in Pat's corner at all.

Lennon7

It is indeed easy to see why Evra might have reacted. That doesn't mean his behaviour is justified though. Physically attacking someone because you don't like something they said is scumbaggy behaviour, even if the victim also happens to be a scumbag.
But it's not like he "didn't like what was said". It's not like the fella said he didn't like Breaking Bad, he (allegedly) racially abused Evra. It's fecking disgusting and I'm with Evra as he didn't stand for it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But it's not like he "didn't like what was said". It's not like the fella said he didn't like Breaking Bad, he (allegedly) racially abused Evra. It's fecking disgusting and I'm with Evra as he didn't stand for it.
It hasn't been alleged.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Risk a criminal record and my livelihood just because someone said something racist to me...have a word.

And before you ask, I have been on the receiving end of racism, and I shrugged it off because the person was an idiot (which is almost always the case with racists).

The moment you start making violence acceptable as a response to racism is the moment you lose the intellectual battle. All you do by being violent is justify their racism, 'I told you I was right, look how violent they are'.

diarm

There was nothing clear about that. You said: "the way Liverpool fans defended Suarez regarding the incident with Evra was disgusting". But please go on, teach me to read again.

Not even sure many people have even assumed it was racism. Maybe one? The vast majority of posts have been in response to either that one comment, or another one where someone said even if it was racism, it wouldn't be justified.

You're sitting on a high horse with no legs mate.

GrandJury

To be fair, I don't think it's just because it's Evra. I think we're predisposed to expect any black player acting like this to be because of racism given how much we hear about it in football. I do agree with you though about not mindlessly defending him without hearing the full story.
Which is the problem, this guy quite frankly could have said anything. Just because Evra is black doesn’t mean he was racially abused.

Racial abuse should not be taken lightly. There should be consequences. Maybe kicking someone is too far but they deserve it.

It's not like Evra is a thug. He shouldn't and didn't have to put up with it.

This is all assuming he was racially abused. If he kicked him for very little reason then I'm not in Pat's corner at all.
There’s plenty of people I think should get kicked in the head. It doesn’t justify actually doing it.

It hasn't been alleged.
Which is the whole problem. People are assuming he must have done this because of racism because he’s black when we actually know nothing besides he assaulted someone.

Zelex

If I was in Evra's scenario I would have either ignored it or walked off the pitch in protest. Evra was wrong in his behaviour however he is human and I understand that people react differently..and whilst I don't condone his actions, I deeply empathise with his frustrations as a black male. To be frank, I don't feel any sympathy for the fan involved (assuming this is a racial incident).

GrandJury

There was nothing clear about that. You said: "the way Liverpool fans defended Suarez regarding the incident with Evra was disgusting". But please go on, teach me to read again.

Not even sure many people have even assumed it was racism. Maybe one? The vast majority of posts have been in response to either that one comment, or another one where someone said even if it was racism, it wouldn't be justified.

You're sitting on a high horse with no legs mate.
Oh please are you just ignorant of history? Everyone knows that Liverpool fans swarmed to Suarez’s back and United fans backed Evra before anyone even knew what the feck had actually happened.

This whole thread is an initial reaction with people saying it’s racism already or justifying it if it was before knowing any of the facts. So yeah, learn to read and think.

You can read this thread for yourself. Here’s a tip, we know nothing about what this guy did, go ahead and ctrl+F racism.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

How in the feck is that just as bad? You'd be shit on a jury

GrandJury

How in the feck is that just as bad? You'd be shit on a jury
Really? Because all we know right now is Evra booted a fans face off.

Seems your making some assumptions to justify your position.

@diarm I'm replying here to your 'wow' since I've ran out of posts (even though it says it resets at midnight UK time).

Great rebuttal, worthy of a 6 year old.

@VeevaVeeI (The post count didn't seem to reset at midnight) in response:

Assuming guilt when we know nothing is exactly similar.

Last edited:

Ekeke

Risk a criminal record and my livelihood just because someone said something racist to me...have a word.

And before you ask, I have been on the receiving end of racism, and I shrugged it off because the person was an idiot (which is almost always the case with racists).

The moment you start making violence acceptable as a response to racism is the moment you lose the intellectual battle. All you do by being violent is justify their racism, 'I told you I was right, look how violent they are'.
Very true. And now it puts others in a position where they now have to provide a harsh instead of lenient punishment, to make sure others dont do the same thing.

diarm

Oh please are you just ignorant of history? Everyone knows that Liverpool fans swarmed to Suarez’s back and United fans backed Evra before anyone even knew what the feck had actually happened.

This whole thread is an initial reaction with people saying it’s racism already or justifying it if it was before knowing any of the facts. So yeah, learn to read and think.

You can read this thread for yourself. Here’s a tip, we know nothing about what this guy did, go ahead and ctrl+F racism.
Wow. :wenger:

klsv

As far as I know, Marseille ultras and most of the usual travelling fans are left-wing, and very much anti-racist, having had huge fights with right-wing supporters of other clubs and some infighting earlier. I'd imagine a racist Marseille fan would be beaten up by their own peers before getting anywhere near Evra.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They're still just words. Nasty horrible words but, still, just words. We don't live in a world where people are allowed to physically attack each other just because someone said nasty horrible words.

idmanager

If football as a sport wasn't so shit with dealing with racism, people wouldn't start assuming stuff.
Comparing it and calling it equally bad as actual racism is moronic and probably naivety from someone who doesn't know how racist abuse feels.
Maybe it was racist, maybe it was not. But knowing the sport and the history around the subject, you can't blame anyone for saying out the obvious. I am sure even those who don't say it out have had the same though crossover their minds for a second at least.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As far as I know, Marseille ultras and most of the usual travelling fans are left-wing, and very much anti-racist, having had huge fights with right-wing supporters of other clubs and some infighting earlier. I'd imagine a racist Marseille fan would be beaten up by their own peers before getting anywhere near Evra.
That's why I'm skeptical about the racist theory, that wouldn't go down well at Marseille but you never know.