Patrice Evra Hates Thursdays | West Ham on a free?

Jagga7

There no way Evra did this without just provocation. Evra is human as the rest of us and lost his cool for a second. He's still a legend to me.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't know why are you even talking about racial abuse when there is nothing in that direction so far.

As for this, he is in the wrong, no doubt. He could be verbally abused, but still, this is not the way to answer. It could provoke him, but the fact he is a professional player, role-model, etc, makes it worse.

Still, I'm struggling to judge him since I love the guy so much. Which makes me in the wrong too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Really? Because all we know right now is Evra booted a fans face off.

Seems your making some assumptions to justify your position.
I don't have a position and haven't made any assumptions (how comically hypocritical). All I know is.. hating Suarez for being accused of racism towards one of our players does not compare to people assuming this was racially motivated.

Ekeke

There no way Evra did this without just provocation. Evra is human as the rest of us and lost his cool for a second. He's still a legend to me.
Even if we assume that it was a racist remark, lets say it was the worst thing you could say and involved his mother.

Is it okay for a "professional" footballer who is being paid to do a job, to then escalate things not just by squaring up to a fan, not just by putting his hands on him, not just some light pushing but kicking him in the face? No. There is no defending that.

Because if you defend Evra escalating the situation, then you can defend the fan escalating the situation beyond what Evra did. Whats next, the fan pulls out a knife and stabs him? If its okay for Evra to escalate the situation its okay for someone else. Even if we discount the guy who was kicked, because this argument assumes that he made a terrible comment in the first place, what if its a fan 2 seats next to him that is offended by Evra attacking a fan. Is it okay for him to escalate things and bring out a knife?

Its understandable to get heated IF he was even subject to something horrible such as racism. But the only way to sort it out is to speak to staff and get that person reported and removed/banned from the stadium.

Baby Groot

For historical comparison: The Cantona Kick

If some mod would be kind to emblem the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Don't agree with people saying it's fine to react with violence if it was racial insults.
Was enough people there for him to take it to the police if so. Violence is one thing, but a kick to the head even can end a life. Should be the end of his career for sure.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whether it's racist abuse, homophobic abuse, sectarian abuse or even just someone saying horrible things about a loved one, grown adults are expected to resist the urge to respond by physically attacking someone. If you instead respond by kicking someone in the head (understandable and satisfying though it may be) you're very clearly in the wrong and have no grounds for complaint when you're rightly punished for it.

Jagga7

Even if we assume that it was a racist remark, lets say it was the worst thing you could say and involved his mother.

Is it okay for a "professional" footballer who is being paid to do a job, to then escalate things not just by squaring up to a fan, not just by putting his hands on him, not just some light pushing but kicking him in the face? No. There is no defending that.

Because if you defend Evra escalating the situation, then you can defend the fan escalating the situation beyond what Evra did. Whats next, the fan pulls out a knife and stabs him? If its okay for Evra to escalate the situation its okay for someone else. Even if we discount the guy who was kicked, because this argument assumes that he made a terrible comment in the first place, what if its a fan 2 seats next to him that is offended by Evra attacking a fan. Is it okay for him to escalate things and bring out a knife?

Its understandable to get heated IF he was even subject to something horrible such as racism. But the only way to sort it out is to speak to staff and get that person reported and removed/banned from the stadium.
Of course it's not ok and Evra will get the just punishment, but in the heat of the moment he did something stupid, something that every person in the world can relate too. We can't set higher standards for footballers than to the rest of us.

There is a problem with fans thinking they can get away with what ever they want as the think they have anonymity of being in large crowds.

edcunited1878

So called fans of OM jeering Evra throughout the warm up. Their own player.

So if fans pay, then they have all the right to boo and jeer their own players, no questions asked?

What he did was wrong and he knows it. Whether or not he regrets the action is probably another thing. He is an emotional player and it got the best of him in the moment but everyone has their breaking point and there it was.

Let's see what comes out of this.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Don't agree with people saying it's fine to react with violence if it was racial insults.
Not ok but understandable. After a career of getting racially abused (assuming that is what happened) then you can crack and make a mistake. He will get a long ban and may face minor criminal charges depending on the circumstances. Sounds about right.

TheReligion

Abusive
Some of you lot here are getting far too serious. Carry on and I'll head kick the lot of you myself you moaning ald cnuts.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Not ok but understandable. After a career of getting racially abused (assuming that is what happened) then you can crack and make a mistake. He will get a long ban and may face minor criminal charges depending on the circumstances. Sounds about right.
Understandable I agree with.

Plato

They're still just words. Nasty horrible words but, still, just words. We don't live in a world where people are allowed to physically attack each other just because someone said nasty horrible words.
But we live in a world where people are allowed to be racist.

It's just words. It's just a kick to the face.

R'hllor

This place and people here :lol:. Yesterday green was green, today and tomorrow it is purple just depends from which side wind blows, fecking hell.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Just curious, if the player got sent off before the match during warm-ups, would the team start off with 10 players?

Parry Gallister

Wouldn't do something like that without massive provocation and we all know how people can act like cnuts when they are in a crowd. Not condoning it or supporting it til the facts are out.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't see why this would have any bearing on that.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I have sympathy for him. He was obviously taking some serious verbal abuse and couldn't control himself.
I'd have sympathy for any player in this situation. The shit they have to listen to is insane sometimes, I know they are professionals and getting paid a lot of money but at the end of the day they are still human

Cantona'sCollar

Because if you defend Evra escalating the situation, then you can defend the fan escalating the situation beyond what Evra did. Whats next, the fan pulls out a knife and stabs him? If its okay for Evra to escalate the situation its okay for someone else.
Rubbish. So because Evra happens to be good at playing football, he cannot respond to someone giving him racist abuse? No idea what that guy said, but I would probably do the same thing to him if it made Evra react like that. This double standard with fans & players is pure BS - don't give if you are not prepared to take. Evra should be disciplined, obviously, and he's also a rolemodel. Doesn't change the fact that the guy probably deserved a kick in the face - it just makes Pat more of a rolemodel. People need to stop being so soft. Everything is 'unacceptable' these days.

Aza Boy

When you waved banana with the purpose to mock people, that he is like a monkey, in your own country which consist of so many immigrants from Africa whom already contributed in all aspects specifically in Football, you are the lowest of human being...

And how come he insulted Patrice like that, from the face of his friends surround him, the man itself looked like no french origin itself...

Feck racism, if i was there, i will put my fist on that man face...

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Provocation or not, what he did was wrong. There was no need for violence. The fans shouldn't have been so close but there was no need to rile them up by kicking them.

Tony Babangida

As soon as i saw your user name i got a flash from the past, Ajax and winger popped into my head. Googled it and sure enough Babangida a winger who played for Ajax in the 90's i had completely forgotten about.
He was also a pro-evo legend back in 2002, with 99 pace and acceleration. I think he was almost equally as fast in real life!

kr0nix

What level of racist abuse do you think people should be able to engage in with impunity?
None whatsoever. If a person engages in racist abuse they should be punished according to the full extent of the law. Vigilante justice is not the answer.

We don't know that it was about racism but let's go with it anyway. There are mechanisms in place to punish people for using racist language in a football stadium. A boot to the head isn't one of the potential penalties, nor should it be.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Exactly. I don't think many understand the feeling of being a victim of racism, it makes you feel like you're not human in someone else's eyes. Disgusting. One of the worst things that can come out of someone's mouth.
I agree with that. Where I think we disagree, is whether or not vigilante justice is an acceptable solution to such.

fretless

Not sure why everyone is calling him a fan. The guy was a troll. He went to the match to get a reaction from the players. He wanted to act all tough with his mates and see what they could stir up.

The players dealt with the abuse for thirty minutes or so as reports state and then they confronted the fans. No job pays you enough to sit through continued abuse.

The stewards and security failed at their job. The situation should have been handled before it got to the point where players had to confront the trolls asking them to stop.

kr0nix

Rubbish. So because Evra happens to be good at playing football, he cannot respond to someone giving him racist abuse? No idea what that guy said, but I would probably do the same thing to him if it made Evra react like that. This double standard with fans & players is pure BS - don't give if you are not prepared to take. Evra should be disciplined, obviously, and he's also a rolemodel. Doesn't change the fact that the guy probably deserved a kick in the face - it just makes Pat more of a rolemodel. People need to stop being so soft. Everything is 'unacceptable' these days.
Who decides what level of "provocation" is enough to warrant a kick to the face? If I were to insult your mother or religion would you say that warrants a kick to the face as well?