Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Think he'd look far better and be much more productive playing in a different system than Mou's fairly rigid 4-2-3-1.

If he played in our current setup for example in place of Matic I think he'd look awesome. He'd have so much movement ahead of him with Hazard, Costa, and Pedro plus two attacking fullbacks who spend the majority of their time in advanced positions.

When you guys have the likes of Mata, Zlatan, Rooney who are all pretty static and slow and no real attacking LB it sort of limits his options.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Think he'd look far better and be much more productive playing in a different system than Mou's fairly rigid 4-2-3-1.

If he played in our current setup for example in place of Matic I think he'd look awesome. He'd have so much movement ahead of him with Hazard, Costa, and Pedro plus two attacking fullbacks who spend the majority of their time in advanced positions.

When you guys have the likes of Mata, Zlatan, Rooney who are all pretty static and slow and no real attacking LB it sort of limits his options.
Mhiki was a huge miss for us today. I agree the 3 you mentioned didn't exactly help although we created a lot when they had eleven players. When they went down to ten and got in 2 banks of 4 Pogba and everyone else went to shit.

Masked Muchacho

Sorry, but you are absolutely clueless when it comes to tactics. Either you automatically regard a Mourinho's team as rigid or think that a roaming front 4, cm with permission to do what he pleases and rb playing as a winger is static. Either way you talk out of your arse (don't take it as an attack on Chelsea, just Pogba's shortcomings are his fault, not Mourinho's).

Last edited:

SirScholes

We've tried him at no 10 and he is less effective than others like Mata and Mhki.

In the spirit of @LuisNaniencia, serious constructive question: should we get rid of our other no 10s so Pogba can play there?
In a handful of games? I seem to remember him and Zlatan linking up well when he did. I only saw the first half as I had to go out so can't really comment much doesn't sound good tho.
Still need to remember we didn't sign a finished product

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Sorry, but you are absolutely clueless when it comes to tactics. Either you automatically regard a Mourinho's team as rigid or think that a roaming front 4, cm with permission to do what he pleases and rb playing as a winger is static. Either way you talk out of your arse (don't take it as a attack on Chelsea, just Pogba's shortcomings are his fault, not Mourinho's).
You're right, I'm clueless. I didn't watch every second of every Chelsea game with Mou as the manager or anything. What would I know? :houllier:

I do know this - it ain't working or maximizing Pogba's talent.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Mourinho needs to reel him in and sort his whole attitude out. He's not professional enough what so ever. Every week he looks aesthetically dafter that the previous, and thinks all the fans want to see is fancy moves and efforts. Get your fecking head down and put in some proper, consistent performances.

Sir Alex would never put up with this. The flashiest player we had under him was Ronaldo and although he wore fancy boots and had shit hair, he knuckled down every single day and became the player he was. Jose needs to understand this and drop players who aren't up to spec - just like he did with Rooney, Mkhi, Martial, Shaw. Why should Pogba and Ibra be any different?
Every man in the world would die to have Ronaldo's hair.

Re: Pogba

He is very disappointing. He needs to grow up quickly because we paid so much money for him. Madrid bought Bale around the same fee and they were similar ages, Madrid did not make any excuses and say he was young. He simply needs to stop fecking about his hair and just put his head down and get better. He will regret being a failure for the second time.

Hahao

Def not better than Modric. Still not even close
On his good day he does look like he can be the best midfielder in the world but he's still not there.
Too much style very often not enough substance. He needs to work on his fundamentals and defense.

Hahao

In a handful of games? I seem to remember him and Zlatan linking up well when he did. I only saw the first half as I had to go out so can't really comment much doesn't sound good tho.
Still need to remember we didn't sign a finished product

He's not a 10. He needs to learn to carry the midfield. Model himself after the likes of Yaya Toure and Viera.
He's shown some flashes of brilliance, he just isnt consistent enough.

Masked Muchacho

You're right, I'm clueless. I didn't watch every second of every Chelsea game with Mou as the manager or anything. What would I know? :houllier:

I do know this - it ain't working or maximizing Pogba's talent.
That is the point. You have watched every second of CHELSEA's games, not Uniteds. Current Mou's approach is in no way rigid (not exactly free flowing, but with a lot of freedom). The problem with Pogba is him being immature and borderline idiotic.

Last edited:

Sereques

The persistent long ball in second half was very stupid. At least do something different.

El Jefe

I'd rather not go around the circles again as I've stated my opinion quite clearly in several posts before.

But I will say that 'Pogba failing to live up to expectations proves the point that expectations were unrealistic to begin with' is just about the most disingenuous and convoluted thing I've read in RedCafe's football forums. Its a common tactic used by @Brwned on this topic. You now too.

As for others playing worse than Pogba today, this is the Pogba thread meant for discussion about Pogba's performance.
If that is being used to absolve Pogba of any blame or criticism, it is absolute horseshit.

At the moment Pogba is so far away from being as good as he and Mourinho thinks he is.

frank lee madeer..

His general play can be quite good ,but his finishing is absolutely appalling.
I think its time he was ' rested' the odd game whilst other combinations are explored.

dove

So far he looks like an absolute waste of money and I can't see anything that any other midfielder for £40 million couldn't do. His finishing is just horrendous for an attacking midfielder. So far he looks much more like highlights player, making some nice dribbles from time to time but I don't really think he adds much to the team and his constant attempts to shoot from 30 meters are annoying. Hopefully next season will be better for him...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
When you buy someone his age, regardless of price, you can expect there to be flaws or things he needs to iron out.

For £90m though I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a player who has a winning mentality and composure about him.

Pogba doesn't. He goes to pieces under pressure. He fannies around at the wrong time in games, and in the wrong areas. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of being a winner, let alone portray it.

The thing is, when we signed him and Zlatan, a lot was made of them bringing character and winning mentality back into the dressing room.

Zlatan has shown that he has a winning mentality and can influence the team in th right way. Pogba's has shown that he likes showing off.

He needs to grow up, to be blunt. He plays like he's still 18 years old.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
There are so many players in our team who would be viewed differently if we just finished our fecking chances. Rooney, Ibra, Pogba himself all missed glorious chances and that cost us the game. Its been the case all season. Rarely will a player perform consistently well over the course of 90 minutes, however, everything bad is so much more emphasised when things aren't going our way. Game should have been finished after 20 minutes - In fact, we should have been 4-1 up after 15 or so minutes.

People are far too worried. He literally bossed the last 20 minutes of our most important game of the season thus far.

Cheekiey

This thread is ridiculous, 1 minute he is one the best midfielders in the league to now a donkey...

Get a grip to those saying he is this and that, the whole team in that second half fluffed it not just Pogba. It was like the incident shook things up and everyone played with caution. It nullified the game, we then tried too hard and tried to force it to score.

Yes that 2nd half performance was bad by Pog, but Ibra had a shocker, Rooney, Rashford and a few others did, it wasn't down to 1 player. Pogba had a good first half I thought, he did win the Pen and a few free kicks in good areas.

Born2Lose

Think some of the criticism here is way over the top, but he should have scored a lot more goals than he has. Some of the misses have been dire for a player of his stature.

More time on the training ground and less on twitter I think.

Gladiator

There are so many players in our team who would be viewed differently if we just finished our fecking chances. Rooney, Ibra, Pogba himself all missed glorious chances and that cost us the game. Its been the case all season. Rarely will a player perform consistently well over the course of 90 minutes, however, everything bad is so much more emphasised when things aren't going our way. Game should have been finished after 20 minutes - In fact, we should have been 4-1 up after 15 or so minutes.

People are far too worried. He literally bossed the last 20 minutes of our most important game of the season thus far.
Folks are concerned because united are trying to get into the top 4 and players who are associated with making a difference in the game are not taking their chances. why is there surprise they're getting criticised

rotherham_red

This forum has gone to the dogs, with little to no perspective. He had a bad (terrible) game. So what? Get over yourselves and get to feck. If you can't support the team in the bad times, you sure as shit don't deserve to support them in the good times either!

BigBebe

We should leave him out of the Chelsea game. I don't think he is handling the pressure well and a high profile game like that probably won't help him.

He has been one of our best players this season but we don't want him to burn out or lose confidence - a couple of games against Rostov would be fine for him.

Ekeke

Don't think he's been one of the best players in the league this season. Off the top of my head I can think of quite a few who have been much better.

I just think I was expecting way more of him even in his first season. For the fee you guys paid and the hype that surrounded him I was thinking I'd see a dominant player. He's looked miles from that.
At worst top 5. He's never going to "look like a £100 million player" because you can't. It would take season after season of quality performances to be worth that. He's not even finished with 1 season.

He has created plenty, which we have proceeded to miss on a frequent basis. He should be getting on the scoresheet more often and he did have a run of games where he let himself down near the start, but overall he's done more than the other CMs in the league and any manager would put him in their team of the year.

NinjaFletch

At worst top 5. He's never going to "look like a £100 million player" because you can't. It would take season after season of quality performances to be worth that. He's not even finished with 1 season.

He has created plenty, which we have proceeded to miss on a frequent basis. He should be getting on the scoresheet more often and he did have a run of games where he let himself down near the start, but overall he's done more than the other CMs in the league and any manager would put him in their team of the year.
There's absolutely no chance Pogba has been 'at worst' top 5 in the Premier League this season.

For starters: Costa, Hazard, Sanchez, Ibrahimovic, and Kane have had better seasons.

I'm not even sure he's been in our top 5 players this season, although he's so talented, and creates so much, even when he doesn't play well, that its hard to judge.

legball

Pogba was very poor yesterday & have been so in different games this season, but that's it, those that can't help but bring up the fee, would Pogba's performance yesterday have been any acceptable if he was signed on free? Not in my opinion. Well, I don't think our 4-2-3-1 is the best use of him, that's one, but that's not an excuse for messing up shooting chances etc. The biggest issue for Pogba is that he always seems to be caught in two minds, to pass or dribble, to shoot or to pass etc. The best midfielders always know what to do before they receive the ball, thankfully, it's something he's good at, as he proved at Juventus, I just think this team is different (in terms of overall quality, style & how settled it is) & the pressure is higher, it's in his head, he'll sort it out.

The fans though, I've seen a lot of people say Pogba doesn't control games, sorry but that says you don't know your football, or you're watching him for the first time and expecting him to do it because, well, he's a CM, right? That's like saying Kante doesn't score enough goals or provide enough assists, the only reason one would expect that is because they don't understand football. Pogba is a midfielder in the mould of Lampard, rather than Xavi or Modric. Ultimately, he's there to link CM-attack, assist and chip in with goals, that's what the criticism should be about, not this "he doesn't control games" nonsense. He has a lot of improvement to do, but so too does the team, manager and everyone associated with United. He'll be fine.

Sorry, but you are absolutely clueless when it comes to tactics. Either you automatically regard a Mourinho's team as rigid or think that a roaming front 4, cm with permission to do what he pleases and rb playing as a winger is static. Either way you talk out of your arse (don't take it as an attack on Chelsea, just Pogba's shortcomings are his fault, not Mourinho's).
@Orc is spot on actually. We were like statues yesterday, just like we were at the start of the season when Rooney was playing every game. Pogba's biggest problem is that Miki is the only one who makes runs without the ball (looking at Martial here) to stretch defences. With him missing there is no movement ahead of Pogba whatsoever.

togg

@Orc is spot on actually. We were like statues yesterday, just like we were at the start of the season when Rooney was playing every game. Pogba's biggest problem is that Miki is the only one who makes runs without the ball (looking at Martial here) to stretch defences. With him missing there is no movement ahead of Pogba whatsoever.
It's the main area of his game that is so frustrating - it's like he thinks football only happens when you have the ball!!

Born2Lose

In the league he's scored 4 goals from 85 shots, that's really not good enough for any Premier league footballer, let alone a £90m one.

Ibrahimovic has also taken a 109 shots to get his 15 goals.

MadMike

how was he poor yesterday? every chance we had came through him.
He missed at least two (1v1 with the keeper and the air-shot) golden chances to score. He also panicked as a CM and hoofed the ball a bit too much in the last 10-15 mins against a defence that was sitting very deep and found it very easy to clear them.

But yeah, he also played Rooney through, had a great shot on target outside the area that Boruc saved, won the penalty and the free kick that Ibra wasted and was at the heart of most of our good moves.

He frustrates me too at times and he rightly comes in for criticism. Although that said, we've seen the Herrera/Carrick midfield all of last year and there's little creativity from that. Love him or hate him, Pogba creates a LOT of opportunities for himself and other players with his movement and passes. The fact he doesn't finish them is what understandably frustrates fans.

hubbuh

I'd rather not go around the circles again as I've stated my opinion quite clearly in several posts before.

But I will say that 'Pogba failing to live up to expectations proves the point that expectations were unrealistic to begin with' is just about the most disingenuous and convoluted thing I've read in RedCafe's football forums. Its a common tactic used by @Brwned on this topic. You now too.

As for others playing worse than Pogba today, this is the Pogba thread meant for discussion about Pogba's performance.
Christ don't be so sensitive. Nothing to take from that.

Dante

Average bang
Pogba was ok for 75 minutes, then his head went.

Pogba and Herrera may not be great fits for each other tactically speaking, but they are good psychological foils for each other instead.

Both are technical and creative midfielders who try far too hard when they think they're the only ones on the pitch with the capability of making things happen.

Herrera was terrible at times last season when he was attempting to make everything happen himself. Pogba was the same earlier in the season, and again yesterday. Both need each other to calm themselves down.

Trizy

how was he poor yesterday? every chance we had came through him.
They just need someone to blame. Even though the whole team has been shite on numerous occasions, they'll always pick on Pogba.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
For someone so technically gifted he flaps and panics so badly in and around the box sometimes, falling over and losing his balance or not striking the ball with any semblance of technique.

hubbuh

Sorry, I reckon you're the one that is absolutely clueless. One of United's main issues (as has been well documented) in recent times has been our ineffectual movement on and off the ball. It's the reason why Mhki has been so integral to our play. As good as Martial can be, too often he is static when he should be looking to get in behind. Pogba has flattered to deceive too often this season, but his performances don't exist in a vacuum. If you think we are currently a free flowing team you are deluded. We are moving towards that, but are some way off.

Z_Wolf

He missed at least two (1v1 with the keeper and the air-shot) golden chances to score. He also panicked as a CM and hoofed the ball a bit too much in the last 10-15 mins against a defence that was sitting very deep and found it very easy to clear them.

But yeah, he also played Rooney through, had a great shot on target outside the area that Boruc saved, won the penalty and the free kick that Ibra wasted and was at the heart of most of our good moves.

He frustrates me too at times and he rightly comes in for criticism. Although that said, we've seen the Herrera/Carrick midfield all of last year and there's little creativity from that. Love him or hate him, Pogba creates a LOT of opportunities for himself and other players with his movement and passes. The fact he doesn't finish them is what understandably frustrates fans.
This. Yesterday there were 4 players closer to the opposition's goal than him. They are more obliged to score, surely?

Robbie Boy

I love that some actively want him to fail to eh, prove how right they were all along or something like that.

MadMike

I love that some actively want him to fail to eh, prove how right they were all along or something like that.
I don't think that's the case. Nobody wants him to fail, he is a Man Utd youth product and one of our own.

I think people are frustrated that we fail to win and look to take it out on players. That said, Pogba does not look the finished article yet, he lacks composure and a clear head. He behaves a bit like a kid, which he is is some ways, but one that cost us 90m. That is more than Ronaldo or Bale cost so people have expectations of him to be the complete player which he isn't, yet.

Some criticism is over the top, some isn't it. It's a forum, that shit happens

JON.B

Sloop
He's been someway off bing the same player he was at Juve, I expected him to take a little time to settle but I've been disappointed with the lack of influence he's had, in both the big games and the lesser ones where you expect him to dominate and look a cut above the rest.

Robbie Boy

I don't think that's the case. Nobody wants him to fail, he is a Man Utd youth product and one of our own.

I think people are frustrated that we fail to win and look to take it out on players. That said, Pogba does not look the finished article yet, he lacks composure and a clear head. He behaves a bit like a kid, which he is is some ways, but one that cost us 90m. That is more than Ronaldo or Bale cost so people have expectations of him to be the complete player which he isn't, yet.

Some criticism is over the top, some isn't it. It's a forum, that shit happens
Oh he was shite yesterday, he deserves criticism.

I was more talking about a certain 2/3 posters who love to gloat when he plays poor.

Ban

When he has an off day he loses his head. Wants to do all by himself, wants to prove he's good, tries too much and it gets worse and it goes in circles then. Over complicates basic things, dilly dallies on the ball when he should just make a first time pass or tries to dribble when he really doesnt have to.

He just needs to keep it simple and be calm.

Status
Not open for further replies.