Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiriticon

I have a feeling, if he's not injured, that Mourinho has asked him to take on more defensive duty since Alexis arrived.

I reckon he's been told to sit tight in midfield and I feel he's not taking it well.

acnumber9

So Mourinho said he wasn't injured? Pretty shocking performance from Pogba if so.
Yeah he did. If it wasn’t an injury then he needs dropping. Which is bad news for us when McTominay is one of our options to replace him.

el3mel

He's like a different player since that Spurs game. Something is wrong. He wasn't good in 2 men midfield previously but he wasn't that terrible either at the start of the season in it. Mourinho deserves blame for putting him in such role but at the same time he needs to help himself. He has been a shadow of himself for now.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Sick of people using his position on the pitch to excuse his total lack of interest, effort, or bite. The self indulgence levels are through the fricking roof. In modern day football unless your name is Ronaldo or Messi everyone has some degree of defensive responsibilities, especially more so if you’re a midfielder ffs. Changing where is in that midfield isn’t suddenly going to change his level of commitment to them, and if it does then wow.

Did look like he had an issue today, though Mou said he doesn’t. Weird.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I think we should be playing a 3 man midfield as well but, even though he has mostly been used in a 2 he is still having a great season.

Bobski

Pogba doesn't have the intensity in his game to play as a box-to-box, he isn't a box-to-box, he is an attacking midfielder. View him as a #10 instead of #8.

Doesn't excuse his shady mentality lately. I kinda hope he was injured today, because he looked very weird on the pitch today, either that or he has become in fm terms "disillusioned" by Mourinho's approach to him.
Not productive enough as 10 compared to the best in that role. Once you define him as a one position player then he has to excel in that one position. He does not, his great worth was his ability/potential to be a box to box force.

Prove greatness by doing it when it is tough and your contribution is required. Not when others win the game and you are just a statement on top.

Hephaestus

Or not wanting to admit that a player played a match with an injury that could have been made worse. Mourinho is hardly the most honest source but who knows, maybe he was injured maybe he wasnt.
Yeah could be that. I just have a hard time believing that a normally excellent player who went off early in the warmup and spent 60 minutes walking round the pitch, consistently mistiming every single pass, header, tackle and run was completely fit.

manunited1919

Pogba doesn't have the intensity in his game to play as a box-to-box, he isn't a box-to-box, he is an attacking midfielder. View him as a #10 instead of #8.

Doesn't excuse his shady mentality lately. I kinda hope he was injured today, because he looked very weird on the pitch today, either that or he has become in fm terms "disillusioned" by Mourinho's approach to him.
JM was questioned yesterday about this, and said that box-to-box is a term he doesn’t really understand. For him, Pogba is a midfielder, and that’s it, and he clearly expects his midfielders to do defensive duties, as he expects everyone in the team to do.

I hope JM comes around to playing a midfield 3, as that is what this team sorely needs. But I am afraid he can be obstinate and expect him to insist on Pogba adapting to his formation instead of adopting a formation where we would get the best out of Pogba.

Marcelinho87

KDB is the best midfielder in the league currently. However, Pogba was voted one of the best two central midfielders in the world when he was at Juve, he won 4 titles in a row, reached the CL final and a major international tournament final that year. You can't rewrite history I'm afraid, it is what it is. To say that KDB is 'twice' the player is risible nonsense given what Pogba has already achieved in the game, achievements KDB still aspires to despite being older.
Juventus as a team won those titles and reached those finals, not Pogba FC.

As an individual KDB is currently the better player.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He's the kind of player other teams used to have and would not be getting the best out of while we had Darren Fletcher playing like he was possessed. You would think that if Fergie was his manager, he would be getting way more out of him or he would just throw him out. Funnily enough Fergie was his manager and he did throw him out.

But the thing is that Pogba can be good if he plays in his actual position. He is not only being man-managed poorly but is being completely failed by our 'system'. Why the feck does he keep getting played in a midfield 2? It's utterly bizarre. He played so well against Everton with 2 midfield players behind him and Jose then changes back to the old way. The manager is clueless I'm afraid.

Canagel

I think Pogba is the better player but KDB is performing better with a defined role that Pep has given him. He isn't as talented as Pogba.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So he limped and he posted a video where it doesn't show he limped. :lol:
The Journalist Simon Peach posted the video and if you read his tweet carefully, he does state that "eventhough it's not clear in the video" Pogba was in fact limping.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Not productive enough as 10 compared to the best in that role. Once you define him as a one position player then he has to excel in that one position. He does not, his great worth was his ability/potential to be a box to box force.

Prove greatness by doing it when it is tough and your contribution is required. Not when others win the game and you are just a statement on top.
He shouldn't play as a 10 in terms of just behind the striker, but he is an attacker in a 3 man midfield, preferably with a holding midfielder like Carrick and a box-to-box beside him like Vidal/Nainggolan.

In his last season for Juventus he had 8 goals and 12 assists in the league, i think only Pjanic had the same amount of assists. Why buy a player to play a different role than the role that actually made him worth buying for a world-record fee?

JM was questioned yesterday about this, and said that box-to-box is a term he doesn’t really understand. For him, Pogba is a midfielder, and that’s it, and he clearly expects his midfielders to do defensive duties, as he expects everyone in the team to do.

I hope JM comes around to playing a midfield 3, as that is what this team sorely needs. But I am afraid he can be obstinate and expect him to insist on Pogba adapting to his formation instead of adopting a formation where we would get the best out of Pogba.
Yeah, and it makes Mourinho look a bit stupid imo. Of course i shouldn't sit here and pretend that i know more than Mourinho, but we all know how Pogba is best used, so why does he insist on not doing it.

jem

Sick of people using his position on the pitch to excuse his total lack of interest, effort, or bite. The self indulgence levels are through the fricking roof. In modern day football unless your name is Ronaldo or Messi everyone has some degree of defensive responsibilities, especially more so if you’re a midfielder ffs. Changing where is in that midfield isn’t suddenly going to change his level of commitment to them, and if it does then wow.

Did look like he had an issue today, though Mou said he doesn’t. Weird.
I really can't argue with any of that.

jem

I think Pogba is the better player but KDB is performing better with a defined role that Pep has given him. He isn't as talented as Pogba.
That is an incredible leap of faith you're taking there. I hope you're right, but I really suspect that you are not.

Borden

Not injured according to Jose. Just a disgraceful performance then. He's not helped by being played outside his best position, but no excuse for that lack of effort.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Bruyne is a much more intelligent player then Pogba, is great technically with both feet, makes the right decisions consistently, great at driving forward with the ball at his feet and picking the right option and timing, he's also a brilliant passer and a better passer then Pogba is.

Pogba has all the raw attributes, but his intelligence isn't there. Mental part is the biggest part of the game, and Pogba is like a youth player in that regard.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A player of his expectation cannot be defended by a "hes better in a 3" excuse tbh.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If it's true that Mourinho said he wasn't injured then that performance was fecking pathetic. We're better off selling him and buying a proper midfielder who doesn't need to be completely pampered and everything built around him to produce even an acceptable level of play. Joke performance.

Sterling Archer

Not injured according to Jose. Just a disgraceful performance then. He's not helped by being played outside his best position, but no excuse for that lack of effort.
He actually is not injured!? Wow. Yup, disgraceful. There is no intensity or desire in his play atm. We may as well have been down a man

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Beginning to worry slightly about him, seems to be regressing when he had started the season so brightly. Jose isn’t using him in the right way that’s obvious but that doesn’t excuse his own lack of performance. It shouldn’t matter where you play, win your battles, show your quality within that position regardless if you think you should be there or not.

Bobski

He shouldn't play as a 10 in terms of just behind the striker, but he is an attacker in a 3 man midfield, preferably with a holding midfielder like Carrick and a box-to-box beside him like Vidal/Nainggolan.

In his last season for Juventus he had 8 goals and 12 assists in the league, i think only Pjanic had the same amount of assists. Why buy a player to play a different role than the role that actually made him worth buying for a world-record fee?

Are you comfortable building the team around Pogba with his attacking output? You could do it with guys like Lampard and Gerrard because they could get you 20+ goals. I think if Mou trusted Pogba could do that he would have already given that system an extended try. It also has to be questioned if what is best for Pogba is naturally best for the team, especially now with Sanchez, who do you want of those 2 to have a free role.

He just has to grow up. France have the same problem with him, difficult for him and Griezeman to co-exist, but you give the more attacking role to the guy who is more productive, and it is not Pogba.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't care about this midfield 2 crap, there is no excuse for not trying. There were also doubts about De Bruyne in deeper role. Forget his passing and better positional awareness, the man is running all the time.

He started to annoy me. Put him in midfield 3, surround him with players who will run for him. Also, wash his laundry and cuddle his hair while we at it.

Canagel

De Bruyne is a much more intelligent player then Pogba, is great technically with both feet, makes the right decisions consistently, great at driving forward with the ball at his feet and picking the right option and timing, he's also a brilliant passer and a better passer then Pogba is.

Pogba has all the raw attributes, but his intelligence isn't there. Mental part is the biggest part of the game, and Pogba is like a youth player in that regard.
I disagree. People are letting a few poor games cloud their judgement on Pogba. I mentioned a few weeks ago that Mourinho has no clue how to use him and he's proving me right with every passing game. He is not a DM. It's like putting KDB at DM. I can't judge Pogba until he is played in the right set up in the right position. He is just as good a passer as KDB if not better due to the range he has, the difference is KDB has runners and options everytime he touches the ball and the overall attacking set up at City is much more cohesive than United.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Pogba is undoubtedly a very talented player and usually he makes a huge different to our play. He does have a little chip on his shoulder though, tends to showboat and goes missing when it really matters. Will be interesting to see how he responds to being subbed off again.

Right now he is no where near the level of a Robson or Keane. He doesn't dominate games and carry the team on his shoulders, which he should do considering his talent. Hopefully he will come back swinging and become the player we all hope he can be.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Effort, wanting to play and die for your team (while keeping a cool head, he really impressed me today). Pogba is in love with himself and this persona he's create in his fantasy world where he's the best. In the real world, you need to work hard to prove it.
Well exactly. You’d be laughed at if you suggested signing Shelvey but today he did exactly what Pogba could and should be doing. No matter what formation he’s played in. It’s not a big ask ffs. We’re not expecting him to be a Mascherano or Kante ffs. Just do for us what that hook nosed gimp did for Newcastle today. When you’re being shown up by Jonjo Shelvey then there really aren’t any excuses left to make.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Are you comfortable building the team around Pogba with his attacking output? You could do it with guys like Lampard and Gerrard because they could get you 20+ goals. I think if Mou trusted Pogba could do that he would have already given that system an extended try. It also has to be questioned if what is best for Pogba is naturally best for the team, especially now with Sanchez, who do you want of those 2 to have a free role.

He just has to grow up. France have the same problem with him, difficult for him and Griezeman to co-exist, but you give the more attacking role to the guy who is more productive, and it is not Pogba.
Yes, i believe it's essential to our further success that Pogba is playing in his best position. Alexis can still drift around like he wants, he doesn't slack the defensive work anyways. It's not like Pogba doesn't help in defence, he is just not that good at it. I think Pogba playing in his current role is making him second-guess everything and overall frustrated. Call it bad mentality or whatever.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Well exactly. You’d be laughed at if you suggested signing Shelvey but today he did exactly what Pogba could and should be doing. No matter what formation he’s played in. It’s not a big ask ffs. We’re not expecting him to be a Mascherano or Kante ffs. Just do for us what that hook nosed gimp did for Newcastle today. When you’re being shown up by Jonjo Shelvey then there really aren’t any excuses left to make.
And Diamé too. Shearer said one thing that struck me, a player should never even get praised for working hard. Well with Pogba, it's so much worse than that.

Classical Mechanic

You see - this is a poor argument imo - you may disagree (and you may be right) but football is a team game and a player who happened to play in a dominant team in a league - such as Juve and wins medals as a result is great but it is not proof of that player being amazing. Lots of good, decent and pretty great players played in winning sides. Would you rather have KDB or Pobga in your side? If you asked any fan in England of any club apart from Utd they would all say KDB.

And his fellow pros were the ones who voted him into the world team of the year because they saw him as one of the very best players in midfield that year, not good or very good but absolutely elite. I know Balaks thinks footballers don't know much about football but it as good a measure as any of player quality given that every pro player in the world votes.

It is weird how both of you use the team game argument but don't seem to be able to acknowledge the possibility that KDB is elevated by his team and that Pogba is undermined by his.

I did acknowledge that KDB is the better player currently though.

Giggs86

Was our best player since the start of the season and then suddenly decided to turn into Paul Pogba-Pogba. Weird.

Maybe he was such s good friend of Miki and didn't like him leaving?

If he's not injured I can't see any reason whatsoever for him playing like he doesn't give a shit. Spurs and now this. Hopefully he gets his head out of his ass real fast before we play Sevilla.

Laurentiu amt

I'm okay with his performance today, maybe our manager will finally understand that our midfield needs to get the best out of him, not the best out of nobody.
He's moving him around too much.

R'hllor

At the start of the season he looked good even in midfield 2 because Matic could do the work and provide freedom for him, games passed and Matic looked more and more fecked like he was under same manager in Chelsea, so either Pogba adapts to that or we add another body so his freedom stay intact.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He's been pretty shite since Miki was kicked out. Sanchez coming in probably upset the dressing room a tad. They all need to get over it though.
The last thing we need are these issues when we're in a fight for top four.

Status
Not open for further replies.