Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

The ones who are moaning him yesterday and today are the same ones who said we were absolutely garbage without him in the team when he was out in that long injury layoff. He's the least of our problems and it was him who ran half the length of the match in the 85th minute to create that shot opportunity entirely by himself. It would have been a worldie like the one Lingard scored at Watford had it gone in

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I couldn't care what they done 2/3/4 years ago. I'm talking about this season and Pogba would take their spot easily.

You said he isn't a top midfielder in the world, and that was incorrect.
I said he isn't in the very top tier, which has those 3. You're discounting last season entirely? 2017 as an overall year? Well I guess by that shout that Mo Salah is one of the top 5 players in the world right? Sanchez is purely average. Modric and Kroos are average. Ronaldo is shit, etc etc

bosnian_red

The ones who are moaning him yesterday and today are the same ones who said we were absolutely garbage without him in the team when he was out in that long injury layoff. He's the least of our problems and it was him who ran half the length of the match in the 85th minute to create that shot opportunity entirely by himself. It would have been a worldie like the one Lingard scored at Watford had it gone in
Yeah that's not the point at all. If he wants to be seen as truly one of the best in the world, that's what has to change. Who gives a feck if he had a great run before when he chose the completely wrong decision because he was being selfish? It's not an isolated incident. If that stuff happened once in a while, and normally in counter attacking situations he picked the right choice, then fine. But when games get stretched like yesterday and against leicester, he has those moments all the time. Gets way too selfish and wants to get the glory himself. You're never going to be the best thinking like that and it costs the team points. Costed us away to leicester and could've done yesterday.

redflair

I think he's seen Alexis in the wing mirrors and decided to put on an exhibition.

He does that from time to time - but let's hope he returns to the slowly-evolving, quality midfielder we've seen this season rather than the patchy, wasteful one of last.

Still has temperament and ball-hogging issues but the introduction of more fizz and fire in Sanchez might see the best of him - and raise his game to new levels.

Emzreus

This passage of play encapsulates Pogba (sorry I don't have the video, but anyone who saw the match can instantly recognize what I'm talking about) in all its highs and lows.

Carries the ball magnificently for 50 yards, with one feint of the hips goes past Tarkowski and then is presented with Martial on the left, Lukaku on the right. Both entirely unmarked, both very highly likely to score, the pass was easy to make.

What does Paul do? Shoots from distance and has it blocked by Mee.

fecking criminal decision making.
Exactly. And considering we were only one goal ahead and under pressure. In every other instance, going on a 50 yard run gives you the right to take the shot but looking at the game, Lukaku was blocked I think, twice(due to bad first touches iirc), so was Lingard and Marcus later on, I can't help but feel this particularly wasn't talked about beforehand.

Burnley are what, top in blocked shots, right? @Damien If Jose had talked about this, maybe Pogba and other players would have done a shot feint before taking the shot or given someone in a better position with less risk of a block. Anyway, we won so it doesn't matter.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Have you watched them this season?

I'm not talking about the past 3/4 years, who cares how good a player was in the past, I am talking about today/this season.
Do you think Lingard is better player than Ronaldo?

Greck

The way he stops playing to whine in disbelief after every heavy challenge has to stop.

I don't know how certain players in our team get these privileges. That kind of petulance should have been stopped since the start of the season. Then saw Lukaku do the same when he still had a fair chance at retaining the ball. He could try it at Old Trafford to see what our fans think of it.

Canagel

I can't wait to see his link up play with Sanchez. Two world class players; one in midfield and one in attack. We need more players of this calibre to really challenge the Barcelona's the Bayern's the Madrids etc. Signing Sanchez is another step towards bridging that gap.

Revaulx

Not great yesterday but he’s some player and youngish to still be forgiving for his rough edges. Going to be one of the very best I hope we make him captain and build around him to keep him. Can decide any match on his day and wouldn’t swap him for any other midfielder in the world bar none right now.
I don’t.

He doesn’t possess any of the qualities a captain needs. More than that, putting any sort of pressure on him seems to lead to loss of his own form.

The most obvious candidate for captain on current form is surely Jones. Consistent, hard working, articulate and prepared to show leadership.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t.

He doesn’t possess any of the qualities a captain needs. More than that, putting any sort of pressure on him seems to lead to loss of his own form.

The most obvious candidate for captain on current form is surely Jones. Consistent, hard working, articulate and prepared to show leadership.
High praise for Jones indeed maybe a bit too much in my opinion. Jones can also be described as lacking football intelligence, rash and a sick note. Think we can pick at all our players, I think putting Pogba as the leader would bode well as he’s clearly our most influential player.

Don’t get me wrong this isn’t personal on Jones he has done well at times this season. Just pointing out we haven’t a great deal to pick from.

RedRoach

It was a poor game for him, but comes after a series of wonderful performances in the last few games and he is critical to us. Give the guy a break. Burnley were closing down spaces and putting in some biting challenges and he was clearly frustrated and at times petulant. However, the guy is world class and one of only a few truly world class players we have (De Gea and soon Sanchez are the others).

That run of his was sensational and yes he should have delivered the pass to one of Lukaku or Martial, but the guy is allowed to have an off day now and then.

Revaulx

High praise for Jones indeed maybe a bit too much in my opinion. Jones can also be described as lacking football intelligence, rash and a sick note. Think we can pick at all our players, I think putting Pogba as the leader would bode well as he’s clearly our most influential player.

Don’t get me wrong this isn’t personal on Jones he has done well at times this season. Just pointing out we haven’t a great deal to pick from.
I did say on current form. His injury record (tempting fate here :confused:) seems to be much improved.

I just don’t see anything in Pogba’s game to suggest that making him captain would benefit either the team or, crucially, him personally. He seems at his best when he’s most carefree. If that means he’s allowed to dream of his next hairstyle while playing, then fine as long as he produces the goods.

Icemav

Pogba needs to develop toughness? He is a physical monster; and he makes opposition midfielders look like children in most games.

Pogba lost his head in this game because Mike Dean gave Burnley a free license to do whatever they wanted to him. It wasn't prima dona stuff, but a player being obviously fouled to the point that he became frustrated with a shite referee (Lingard did the exact same thing, and was manhandled by Burney over and over with the ref doing nothing).

A competent referee would have punished Burnley's obvious 'rough em up' game where they grabbed and kicked at our players at every opportunity. Strangely enough, Mike Dean was perfectly happy giving Burnley a free kick whenever the ball got near Barnes. Shocking refereeing performance.
They were pretty wet looking "fouls". He had his arms in the air more than a basketball player. Pogba was playing central midfield away at Burnley on a cold evening and needed to toughen up and stop looking at the ref for protection for what was not very rough play at all. From what I could tell they were up for it and he wasnt.

Icemav

Yes many of the same people who said we missed him when injured, thats everybody btw, are some of the same people who thought he played brilliantly against Stoke and also are criticizing him for a wet performance against Burnley. Its called being objective.

haram

Not really performance related but this is a great ad :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The last page or so of this thread has made me angry and confused. Pogba doesn’t pass once against Burnley and all of a sudden it’s a problem he has, and he has poor decision-making?

pseudo_canadian

The last page or so of this thread has made me angry and confused. Pogba doesn’t pass once against Burnley and all of a sudden it’s a problem he has, and he has poor decision-making?
There's a really weird (see: annoying) desperation by some posters on here who latch on to one mistake Pogba makes and suddenly jumps to the conclusion that he's awful at said ability/part of his game.

I don't know who made the original post on here, but someone made a great point of most people over-inflating Zidane and his performances with very rose-tinted glasses. Basically, that if you go back and watch him on a game to game basis (not just the highlights) he makes a lot of mistakes (and similar ones to Pogba really) on top of all the magnificent things he did. People never show Zidane's mistakes and poor decisions in those career highlight videos.

If you made a a highlight video of Pogba from when he joined Juve to now it would be ridiculous, but that's not reality. Even the best players in the world will be at fault from time to time in their play.

Last edited:
Tottenham 2:0 Man Utd

bosnian_red

Stop fecking playing him in a double pivot. He's awful there against anyone decent. Needs a midfield 3 with him being the most attacking mid, otherwise we look all over the place.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Again, utterly pointless having him in a mid 2 against decent sides - it's basically just forfeiting the game, so predictable is the outcome.

It will never, ever work against the top sides.

It baffles me that the same mistake is made over and over again.

I'd rather have Fellaini, Matic, Herrera than just Pogba, Matic.

It doesn't work!

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He can’t play in a 2 man midfield against the better teams. Jose is being stubborn.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He can’t play in a midfield 2. Half the time he doesn’t know where he is.

Infra-red

Herrera or Fellaini need to come on at half time if we're to avoid a hammering.

The weakness of the Pogba-Matic midfield pair is being brutally demonstrated tonight. Have to play a three in these big games.

Jagga7

Playing a 2 man midfield against top teams is suicidal not stop, it doesn't matter who you got in there. Mourinho has to take the blame for it, he set the team all wrong.

Vilev

So shit against Spurs. It's like we are playing with 9 men, without him and Martial.
People were lauding him after his commanding performance against Stoke a bottom-3 team, but his real current level is seen today. Pogba while has tremendous potential is simply not really world class currently. I think though it's not 100% his fault, 50% lies with Jose Mourinho who does not seem to find a way to use him properly.

But Pogba is awful today, no defensive presence at all, hardly anything in attack, already a couple lost balls and these pathetic glances towards the ref. Whatever tactics manager uses, whatever his role if Pogba wants to be one of the best he must do better. Simple as that.

Gazza

Disappointed with how easily he's been taken out of the game by Spurs pressing. He definitely isn't being served by our defensive shape when Spurs have the ball but this is the sort of performance which adds weight to some of the concerns about Pogba not quite being in the highest class. I love the guy but we need more from him today.

What do people think, how much of Pogba's ineffectiveness is due to
A) his teammates
B) tactics and formation
C) his own limitations
D) Spurs pressing like demons ?

Eddy_JukeZ

While Jose didn't use him well in this game,

Pogba has let everyone down with his 1st half performance. He was awful. Strolling about as if it's a training game. He needs to step up.

NK86

Has been all over the place today. Need to take off Lingard for Herrera and play with 3 in midfield.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Disappears against the better teams almos every time I've watched him tbh.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yeah like everyone is saying stop playing him in a 2 man midfield.

wr8_utd

:'(
Another big game another disappearance. Not disappointed with because it's what I've come to expect from him. The Arsenal game was an exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.