Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He had a good enough game but the chance he messed up could have costed 2 points. Martial and Lukaku were free, it was 3 vs 1 and he tried to shoot from outside the box. Very poor decision, luckily it didn't cost us anything but very poor effort.

Also not sure what he should do to win free kicks, at least 2 players fouls him but he holds his ground to play out of the trouble as long as possible and foul isn't given when he loses possession. Very frustrating and poor performances from refs.
He needs to jump on the floor and roll around like Ashley Barnes :lol: It's silly, players that TRY and get on with the game whether in the box or outside end up getting penalised. IF you fall over at the slightest contact it's a free kick.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He needs to jump on the floor and roll around like Ashley Barnes :lol: It's silly, players that TRY and get on with the game whether in the box or outside end up getting penalised. IF you fall over at the slightest contact it's a free kick.
Exactly. And we have pundits and journalists who wants fair play from players. No wonder players are encouraged to go down for slightest of contacts.

Barnes was laughable in both games. Rolled over the floor for slightest of contacts.

Icemav

Very selfish game by him today, thought he was very poor overall tbh. The same balls he lost in the middle WILL be punished by a good team.
Agree. Thought he was dreadful. Worst player on the pitch in the first half. Real prima donna stuff. Needs to develop some toughness. You need that to be a midfielder.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Agree. Thought he was dreadful. Worst player on the pitch in the first half. Real prima donna stuff. Needs to develop some toughness. You need that to be a midfielder.
Pogba needs to develop toughness? He is a physical monster; and he makes opposition midfielders look like children in most games.

Pogba lost his head in this game because Mike Dean gave Burnley a free license to do whatever they wanted to him. It wasn't prima dona stuff, but a player being obviously fouled to the point that he became frustrated with a shite referee (Lingard did the exact same thing, and was manhandled by Burney over and over with the ref doing nothing).

A competent referee would have punished Burnley's obvious 'rough em up' game where they grabbed and kicked at our players at every opportunity. Strangely enough, Mike Dean was perfectly happy giving Burnley a free kick whenever the ball got near Barnes. Shocking refereeing performance.

Suedesi

This passage of play encapsulates Pogba (sorry I don't have the video, but anyone who saw the match can instantly recognize what I'm talking about) in all its highs and lows.

Carries the ball magnificently for 50 yards, with one feint of the hips goes past Tarkowski and then is presented with Martial on the left, Lukaku on the right. Both entirely unmarked, both very highly likely to score, the pass was easy to make.

What does Paul do? Shoots from distance and has it blocked by Mee.

fecking criminal decision making.

DiceRoller

I wonder at what point he’ll become the dependable big game player against the top teams.
Just don’t see it at the moment. Too patchy.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I wonder at what point he’ll become the dependable big game player against the top teams.
He played magnificently against Arsenal away. He’s the reason we won along with De Gea and Lingard.

He’s been pretty much getting assists every game - which is too patchy? One off day doesn’t change my opinion on him.

haram

We need a 3 man central midfield if we are going to really compete in the big games and see the best of Pogba.

Canagel

My issue wasn't him not passing to Martial/Lukaku. He should've done better with the shot. If you watch it back he had all the time in the world to set himself up for the shot but he doesn't pull the trigger until the last second. I was screaming at my TV screen when he did that because we could've comfortably seen the game out.

DiceRoller

He played magnificently against Arsenal away. He’s the reason we won along with De Gea and Lingard.

He’s been pretty much getting assists every game - which is too patchy? One off day doesn’t change my opinion on him.
One good game against a team that folds to us so often.
I’m talking about the big ones: to see him be the man against City, Liverpool, Chelsea.
For him to be in big games consistently and afterwards say we couldn’t have done it without him in the way you would with a KdB, Hazard, Silva etc.

It felt like he needed a good DM. We got Matic now he needs to be part of a 3.
We’ll get the 3 and then what?
At some point you’ve got to take the game and elevate those around you rather than waiting for the perfect trio.

It’s what really great players do. And I, like many, just don’t see that in him.

OldTrevil

Those saying he was the worst player on the pitch or terrible are talking pure nonsense. He was still the main one driving us forward despite the couple of missed passes. Those burnley cnuts already conceded from the start that they are worse players and bet on being more skilled in fouling. The cnut dean indulged his fellow cnuts as if he enjoys seeing great players illegally stopped from playing.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

This passage of play encapsulates Pogba (sorry I don't have the video, but anyone who saw the match can instantly recognize what I'm talking about) in all its highs and lows.

Carries the ball magnificently for 50 yards, with one feint of the hips goes past Tarkowski and then is presented with Martial on the left, Lukaku on the right. Both entirely unmarked, both very highly likely to score, the pass was easy to make.

Bloody hell that still-shot makes it look even worse than I remembered it yesterday.

I’m gonna cut him some slack. His powerful running is what created the opening in the first place, and he’s just off the back of 4 assists in two games.

IrishRedDevil

I know it was poor play but calm down, his decision making is normally great and he is the one player in our squad always trying to assist others. This time he took the greedy option but he is our most regular assister.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

It was brainless. He was still very influential and pivotal to us winning but could also have been the reason we lost.

He needs to realise he is not a Messi or a Ronaldo who has that killer finishing ability to smash it in at end of a long run time and time again. He will never have that level of composure or finishin consistency even if He does improve this area.

As a midfielder when the game is still 1-0 - you need to go for the high percentage play and feed the guys who are more likely to score than you in goal situation. Martial had already scored so his pecker was up, keep playin him in and watch him grab a few goals and take the game away from Burnley. It was very immature to go alone in that situation especially when he knows he's not a killer in front of goal and the result was still tight.

Focus needs to be on supplying forwards especially if they look in decent form and aren' t being wasteful.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If anyone ever says anything positive about his shooting I will start reporting the posts. His shooting is one of the worst we had over the years and yet no one ever had as much freedom to shot as he has, and no one from our fans is even holding it against him. The likes of Nani would be booed by our fans if he took half of these shots he is taking, despite being far better at shooting than Pogba. I bet he is far less effective shooting from distance than Herrera and people literally hate Herrera for his shooting alone and think Pogba is good shooter from distance.

Also, potentially we have a player who can become one of the best in the world in few years, but people seriously overrate him at the moment, he is nowhere near as good as people here describe him. I am not sure 1% of neutral fans rate him as many people here do.

Silas

If anyone ever says anything positive about his shooting I will start reporting the posts. His shooting is one of the worst we had over the years and yet no one ever had as much freedom to shot as he has, and no one from our fans is even holding it against him. The likes of Nani would be booed by our fans if he took half of these shots he is taking, despite being far better at shooting than Pogba. I bet he is far less effective shooting from distance than Herrera and people literally hate Herrera for his shooting alone and think Pogba is good shooter from distance.
Too far.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Honestly, I don't see much difference between Pogba's blocked shots or shots that are close but never on target to Herrera's shots that go in row Z. If anything, most of Herrera's shots are from dangerous situations where he doesn't want to lose the ball so he just kicks it randomly, while Pogba takes shots from ridiculous situations, shots from 40m away from goal to shots from awful timings like counter attacks like in the situation on the picture above. His shooting in general is terrible.

devil in me

Also, potentially we have a player who can become one of the best in the world in few years, but people seriously overrate him at the moment, he is nowhere near as good as people here describe him. I am not sure 1% of neutral fans rate him as many people here do.
:lol:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not great yesterday but he’s some player and youngish to still be forgiving for his rough edges. Going to be one of the very best I hope we make him captain and build around him to keep him. Can decide any match on his day and wouldn’t swap him for any other midfielder in the world bar none right now.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

I understand and agree what you are saying, but it’s abit too harsh - afterall he created this all by himself, there’s probably no one in the league, or even in Europe or the world could do that - turning defense into attack all by himself in such magnificant 50 yards run.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I understand and agree what you are saying, but it’s abit too harsh - afterall he created this all by himself, there’s probably no one in the league, or even in Europe or the world could do that - turning defense into attack all by himself in such magnificant 50 yards run.
Exactly. And, to be fair to him, he's not been greedy at all, this season. Wanted to score a chance he created himself, luckily it didn't cost us anything so just sweep it under the rug.

haram

Im sorry, the run was amazing but now its worth nothing. If he had passed it he would have got all the credit anyway. It was just a terrible decision. Pass the ball to the striker.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There are. PSG have two of them.

AgentP

This is the only thing that is stopping him from being the best midfielder in the world. Apart from Ronaldo, I don't think any other top player would take a shot in this position.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I know it was poor play but calm down, his decision making is normally great and he is the one player in our squad always trying to assist others. This time he took the greedy option but he is our most regular assister.
It's his decision making on counter attacks. That he seems to feck up the vast majority of the time, wanting to either dribble past someone first or score himself rather then instantly passing it on to kick off the counter or make a great chance. Tries to be too clever. That decision making is exactly what is stopping him from joining the top midfielders in the world and he won't make that step until that mentality changes. Instinctively picking the right choice instead of trying to do something alone.

Jaybomb

Im sorry, the run was amazing but now its worth nothing. If he had passed it he would have got all the credit anyway. It was just a terrible decision. Pass the ball to the striker.
I was fuming when he did that. Lukaku was miles open. Pogba just wanted to say he scored an amazing goal. Luckily it didn’t cost us.

IrishRedDevil

It's his decision making on counter attacks. That he seems to feck up the vast majority of the time, wanting to either dribble past someone first or score himself rather then instantly passing it on to kick off the counter or make a great chance. Tries to be too clever. That decision making is exactly what is stopping him from joining the top midfielders in the world and he won't make that step until that mentality changes. Instinctively picking the right choice instead of trying to do something alone.
:houllier:

He’s easily one of the top midfielders in the world. Give me the list of who is better?
9 assists in 14 games, so calm down and think of the bigger picture.

bosnian_red

:houllier:

He’s easily one of the top midfielders in the world. Give me the list of who is better?
9 assists in 14 games, so calm down and think of the bigger picture.
Judging by the top level theyve shown for an extended period over the last few years? Modric, Kroos and Dr Bruyne, for players playing similarish roles. Those 3 are considerably more consistent and reliable with their decision making. Pogba at his peak is right up there, but he does have moments like yesterday pretty often too and that holds him back.

It's not all about getting some random assists. Modric rarely got assists or goals. Kroos never stacked them up. It's about playing the right pass that can set up the pass for a tap in at the right moment. How often do you see de Bruyne or Silva playing balls to sane to lay one on a plate for Sterling or Aguero? Or messi/iniesta doing that at Barca, putting alba in who then squares it to whoever. He shouldn't care about any stats he gets, as for moments like yesterday, if he passed to martial at the right moment martial would then have squared to lukaku for a tap in and it would've been an excellent team goal. He's a central midfielder. Not a forward. If his mentality switches to making the right decision instead of padding his own stats then that's what would put him in the top tier of midfielders.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Did you take a per 90 minutes xA, since Pogba has played 1000 minutes less? If not then you are a shocking statistician.
He's got an xA per 90 minutes of just 0.22.

Özil .40
Coutinho .39
De Bruyne .36
Fabregas .35
Eriksen .29

He's only close to Eriksen, and Eriksen is playing on the right flank, out of position, since he's a righty.

IrishRedDevil

Judging by the top level theyve shown for an extended period over the last few years? Modric, Kroos and Dr Bruyne, for players playing similarish roles. Those 3 are considerably more consistent and reliable with their decision making. Pogba at his peak is right up there, but he does have moments like yesterday pretty often too and that holds him back.

It's not all about getting some random assists. Modric rarely got assists or goals. Kroos never stacked them up. It's about playing the right pass that can set up the pass for a tap in at the right moment. How often do you see de Bruyne or Silva playing balls to sane to lay one on a plate for Sterling or Aguero? Or messi/iniesta doing that at Barca, putting alba in who then squares it to whoever. He shouldn't care about any stats he gets, as for moments like yesterday, if he passed to martial at the right moment martial would then have squared to lukaku for a tap in and it would've been an excellent team goal. He's a central midfielder. Not a forward. If his mentality switches to making the right decision instead of padding his own stats then that's what would put him in the top tier of midfielders.
Not the last few years, who is better today?

Throwing names at me like Modric and Kroos would be incorrect. Try again.

Assists isn't a 'random stat'. It's setting up a goal, which is important. 9 assists in 14 games is great. De Bruyne has 10 in 24 games for example. Pogba must make the correct decision for the assists yeah?

bosnian_red

Those same players... Real Madrid are having a bad season but doesn't mean that what modric and kroos have shown over the last 4 years is to be ignored.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He's got an xA per 90 minutes of just 0.22.

Özil .40
Coutinho .39
De Bruyne .36
Fabregas .35
Eriksen .29

He's only close to Eriksen, and Eriksen is playing on the right flank, out of position, since he's a righty.
Fabregas is the only CM in there, the rest play further up the pitch. I think Fabregas is extremely potent in his passing, and would have no problem if someone said Fabregas had better passing vision than Pogba.

If you don't mind, could you do the same comparisons for xG per 90 with these same players? I don't know how to find those stats.

IrishRedDevil

Those same players... Real Madrid are having a bad season but doesn't mean that what modric and kroos have shown over the last 4 years is to be ignored.
I couldn't care what they done 2/3/4 years ago. I'm talking about this season and Pogba would take their spot easily.

You said he isn't a top midfielder in the world, and that was incorrect.

bosnian_red

Assists isn't a 'random stat'. It's setting up a goal, which is important. 9 assists in 14 games is great. De Bruyne has 10 in 24 games for example. Pogba must make the correct decision for the assists yeah?
For central midfielders, assists don't mean much. Did Scholes ever get a lot of assists? Xavi or Iniesta? Modric or Kroos? Pogba has never been on their level and it's his mentality that needs to change to get that step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.