Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I was doubtful as to whether there was even one example of a player who deliberately performed some sort of sabotage in a protest to their manager against their position. Your post implies it happens all the time, including on Thursday apparently. I’ve never heard of any player doing this.
Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it's never happened. It's not the type of thing you go shouting from the rooftops when you're still playing for obvious reasons, unless you're Dutch or German, but there's tons of examples of players on the after-dinner circuit, and/or in Autobiographies talking about it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it's never happened. It's not the type of thing you go shouting from the rooftops when you're still playing for obvious reasons, unless you're Dutch or German, but there's tons of examples of players on the after-dinner circuit, and/or in Autobiographies talking about it.
Okay, well this is why I asked.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The development of the team has been amazing. Pogba is now considered anywhere between the second and fifth best player on the team and you can tell he thrives with a good set up and better players around him. We can't forget that Pogba, despite his role in whatever happened to the culture in the club before Ole came, was also a victim on the pitch the same way Rashford, Shaw and Martial was, and pretty much anyone who Mourinho didn't fancy. Not everyone reacts the same. The football he has been playing has been incredible since his return, some of the best we've seen from him. To see him actually play like a world class midfielder 3-4 times in a row is truly a satisfying feeling after previous disappointments and inconsistencies. I think he is finally ready to put his whole game together now :drool:

RUCK4444

The development of the team has been amazing. Pogba is now considered anywhere between the second and fifth best player on the team and you can tell he thrives with a good set up and better players around him. We can't forget that Pogba, despite his role in whatever happened to the culture in the club before Ole came, was also a victim on the pitch the same way Rashford, Shaw and Martial was, and pretty much anyone who Mourinho didn't fancy. Not everyone reacts the same. The football he has been playing has been incredible since his return, some of the best we've seen from him. To see him actually play like a world class midfielder 3-4 times in a row is truly a satisfying feeling after previous disappointments and inconsistencies. I think he is finally ready to put his whole game together now :drool:
I’ve posted defiantly for a long time now exactly this would happen. His ability has been crystal clear in his time here and he’s done it consistently in other, more talented, teams.

As for the bolded bit I would say he is probably still no. 1
(Still no 1 in ability with Bruno being more important to our overall team performance.)

Paul is a unique mix of ability and athleticism. So important that we do everything we can to get him to renew.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Yeah people are confusing Bruno being our most important player in being the catalist in our current resurgence to him being our best player. Pogba is still our best player.

You watch United play and Pogba in our midfield and he pops out as the best player in the team. He's got everything in that midfield. Skill, power, technique, passing range etc.

He's the reason why we're controlling all these games. He's assured on the ball and help us build from the back. Pre lockdown while we were on a decent form we were still nowhere our current level where we're just blowing teams.

Pre lockdown, in our run we still had games like Everton and Wolves draws where we couldn't control those games. Even the Tottenham game post lockdown showed that, and as soon as Pogba came in we became settled and completely controlled that game and started knocking on their door.

People shouldn't let his new withdrawn role from the spotlight(goals and assists all the time and even in this case I'm expecting him to pick up the pace since he still makes many key passes every game) fool them, the guy is still our best player.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yeah, just saying 'best player' might disregard some context, and in terms of talent I totally understand if you want to call Paul our best player. However at the moment I think Bruno is clearly our best player, he is doing something else. Without downplaying Pogba's contribution to the form of the team, I'd also like add that both Martial and Rashford have been performing around the same level as him in these games and both are obviously very talented players, there is a case to be made for both of them. Then you have Greenwood who in all honesty can be credited as much if not more than Pogba as a reason we're looking so balanced. Not only has he scored goals for the team in very crucial moments that has allowed the team to settle down with less pressure, but he has contributed in the build up as well as being an attacking threat on that right side that we haven't had yet. His class and talent can't be understated in such comparisons.

Anyways, the point was that Pogba clearly benefits from having less pressure to create something on his own with these players around him and I have to give him a lot of credit for adapting to the need of the team. While he did well at Juve with good players around him, he didn't really play the same role he performs so well in right now. By all means get your wins but clearly Pogba is showing us a different side of him right now. In his first season here I think he played a bit like this though just less refined and without the experience he now displays and I liked it back then, but it has been an inconstant ride after that so finally seeing him get back to that but at a much higher level is just great.

Class of 63

Sourness
Yeah people are confusing Bruno being our most important player in being the catalist in our current resurgence to him being our best player. Pogba is still our best player.

You watch United play and Pogba in our midfield and he pops out as the best player in the team. He's got everything in that midfield. Skill, power, technique, passing range etc.

He's the reason why we're controlling all these games. He's assured on the ball and help us build from the back. Pre lockdown while we were on a decent form we were still nowhere our current level where we're just blowing teams.

Pre lockdown, in our run we still had games like Everton and Wolves draws where we couldn't control those games. Even the Tottenham game post lockdown showed that, and as soon as Pogba came in we became settled and completely controlled that game and started knocking on their door.

People shouldn't let his new withdrawn role from the spotlight(goals and assists all the time and even in this case I'm expecting him to pick up the pace since he still makes many key passes every game) fool them, the guy is still our best player.
Yep he's got all that, and if he listens to the coaches, and learns where to be on the pitch at any given time when playing in a two man midfield, and importantly why, we might just have a player on our hands, the only problem with that is that Real Madrid will come even harder for him so we'll probably have to give him a new contract that he hasn't yet earned so when that happens it us calling the shots, and not Pogba and Real Madrid.

Conor

So no source, then. Thought as much.
Whoscored from the 15/16 season, I'm sure you'll find they are the same numbers as wherever you're getting them from, I hardly pulled them out of my arse to argue your point. Keep trying.

emdee

There was a play in the second half where Grealish and another Villa player had him cornered near the sideline area of the halfway mark and he casually beat the double got free and played a ball to Shaw who was in great attacking position. The skill he displays sometimes for a player of his size doesn't make sense

Quinzaine

He is our outright best player. He's the Jordan to Bruno's Pippen.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Yet another backhanded compliment effort; Paul is the best player here while still improving. Fernandes could score 1000 penalties and that will not change, Paul is our only elite player and hopefully he stays and starts scoring regularly again.

Fernandes has done better in his position than Parreira or Lingard but he has been no catalyst. The team was already playing much better from around November and was just screaming for someone who had some ability in that area of the field.

Yeah, just saying 'best player' might disregard some context, and in terms of talent I totally understand if you want to call Paul our best player. However at the moment I think Bruno is clearly our best player, he is doing something else. Without downplaying Pogba's contribution to the form of the team, I'd also like add that both Martial and Rashford have been performing around the same level as him in these games and both are obviously very talented players, there is a case to be made for both of them. Then you have Greenwood who in all honesty can be credited as much if not more than Pogba as a reason we're looking so balanced. Not only has he scored goals for the team in very crucial moments that has allowed the team to settle down with less pressure, but he has contributed in the build up as well as being an attacking threat on that right side that we haven't had yet. His class and talent can't be understated in such comparisons.

Anyways, the point was that Pogba clearly benefits from having less pressure to create something on his own with these players around him and I have to give him a lot of credit for adapting to the need of the team. While he did well at Juve with good players around him, he didn't really play the same role he performs so well in right now. By all means get your wins but clearly Pogba is showing us a different side of him right now. In his first season here I think he played a bit like this though just less refined and without the experience he now displays and I liked it back then, but it has been an inconstant ride after that so finally seeing him get back to that but at a much higher level is just great.
No context is needed, he is the best player we have end of.

Fernandes simply is not on that level and after Paul leaves that title will most likely fall to Martial and Greenwood. Fernandes has done well since he came in there is no need to overrate him, there is a reason no one else wanted him and you will see more of why next season when every team is back in full flow. Funny people always commented on penalties forming a large part of Paul's goal tally but it is never mentioned for Fernandes.

Yep he's got all that, and if he listens to the coaches, and learns where to be on the pitch at any given time when playing in a two man midfield, and importantly why, we might just have a player on our hands, the only problem with that is that Real Madrid will come even harder for him so we'll probably have to give him a new contract that he hasn't yet earned so when that happens it us calling the shots, and not Pogba and Real Madrid.
Back with this nonsense, if Paul has not earned a new contract then none of the players who have recently renewed have either. He has been our best player every day since he came back so time to accept if he does sign a new contract he will again be our best paid player on massive terms.

Shiva87

Yea, I agree with that, my observation would be similar. Although I think Iniesta was a more purposeful goalscorer than Pogba. When the opportunity arises anyway. You look at goals like his last minute semi-final winner vs Chelsea for example. A bit of the Ramos mentality in that one.
Agree with this. Though Pogba does (like iniesta) come up with goals in key games! WC final, Europa final, City 3-2 comeback game, etc come to mind.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
:lol: you really are a funny guy. Do you genuinely think Pogba doesn't know how to play in a 2 man midfield?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I was doubtful as to whether there was even one example of a player who deliberately performed some sort of sabotage in a protest to their manager against their position. Your post implies it happens all the time, including on Thursday apparently. I’ve never heard of any player doing this.
Hahah love this Rozay cutting the crap right at the source :lol:

Shiva87

:lol: you really are a funny guy. Do you genuinely think Pogba doesn't know how to play in a 2 man midfield?
It's like he is talking about a 17 year old Garner and not Pogba! Dont understand what so many of our fans get out of under-estimating Pogba and his importance to this team.

Adam-Utd

It's like he is talking about a 17 year old Garner and not Pogba! Dont understand what so many of our fans get out of under-estimating Pogba and his importance to this team.
I think they probably just don't understand football and have been listening to the pundits and papers saying he's rubbish and we should be getting rid of him.

So many people last year were saying "pogba is a problem and united need to get rid before they can go forward" :lol: absolute jokers.

Pogba is a master in midfield. Anybody who says he isn't a good player is either bias or don't know what they're talking about.

I see people were even saying he had a poor game against Villa because he got tackled once, it's just crazy.

I'd hate to see what they thought of Pogba if he gave the ball away as much as Fernandes does!

Shiva87

I think they probably just don't understand football and have been listening to the pundits and papers saying he's rubbish and we should be getting rid of him.

So many people last year were saying "pogba is a problem and united need to get rid before they can go forward" :lol: absolute jokers.

Pogba is a master in midfield. Anybody who says he isn't a good player is either bias or don't know what they're talking about.

I see people were even saying he had a poor game against Villa because he got tackled once, it's just crazy.

I'd hate to see what they thought of Pogba if he gave the ball away as much as Fernandes does!
I had an argument with another poster about that. Bruno actually gave the ball away as well in the same game leading to a big chance, which Maguire scuffed out.

I really don't like this tribalism where we can't just enjoy the fact that for the first time in 7 years, we have 3 players playing at a top level. Pogba, Bruno and Martial. It's not any one of them alone!

Martial was as important to our pre lockdown for as Bruno. But hands down, Bruno has been the single most important signing we have made from a leadership perspective!

Keane was not our "best" player in any of his teams, but he was definitely the most important player to that team. I see something very similar with Bruno. Fingers crossed he doesn't drop off from this level.

Class of 63

Sourness
Back with this nonsense, if Paul has not earned a new contract then none of the players who have recently renewed have either. He has been our best player every day since he came back so time to accept if he does sign a new contract he will again be our best paid player on massive terms.
You've seen my nonsense, and raised it!

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Whoscored from the 15/16 season, I'm sure you'll find they are the same numbers as wherever you're getting them from, I hardly pulled them out of my arse to argue your point. Keep trying.
You say last 5 years, and conveniently pick a timeframe where Pogba was missing for most of a season while Bruno was racking them up, from a website that conveniently doesn't cover all competitions. No response about the clubs they were playing for, or the level at which they were producing these numbers either. And I'm the one shifting timelines and supposed to be 'trying'. :lol:

My opinion might be unpopular, but at least I put effort into stating why. I am no Nostradamus, I have a simple proposition that could very well be wrong. You're just wumming around, not even bothering to read posts, and throwing out personal comments and hyperboles without any real effort in engaging in a debate.

Not going to reply to you any further, it's a waste of time.

Adam-Utd

After a decade playing in that area of the pitch i'd guess he does, or should, but he doesn't have the aptitude to play in a two as he ain't disciplined enough too.
So you don't think he's shown he's plenty disciplined since returning to the team?

I personally think he's been very disciplined, I expected to see him making a lot more forward runs than he has been.

TrustInJanuzaj

I don’t think there is much between Pogba and Bruno. Pogba is more talented so I get people saying he’s the best player but you simply can’t look past Bruno’s statistics in that number 10 role. He’s an absolute beast and just churns our goals and assists.

Class of 63

Sourness
So you don't think he's shown he's plenty disciplined since returning to the team?

I personally think he's been very disciplined, I expected to see him making a lot more forward runs than he has been.
In fairness to the lad he has buckled down since he's come back and looks as though he's trying to make a fist of it, but you can tell he doesn't feel comfortable curtailing his natural attacking instincts for the benefit of the team. I think it helps him having Matic alongside him, reminding him of his responsibilities and It'll be interesting to see how gets on in that new deeper role when Matic gets rested.

He'sRaldo

I don’t think there is much between Pogba and Bruno. Pogba is more talented so I get people saying he’s the best player but you simply can’t look past Bruno’s statistics in that number 10 role. He’s an absolute beast and just churns our goals and assists.
I think it's easier to find a Bruno to play in front of Pogba, than to find a Pogba to play behind Bruno. Pogba when played furthest forward put up world class stats for us as well, but he's needed deeper so we can dominate the midfield the way we have in the past few games.

With that said Bruno is also extremely productive, so in the AM role they may very well be equals. But Pogba is class all over the pitch.

TrustInJanuzaj

I think it's easier to find a Bruno to play in front of Pogba, than to find a Pogba to play behind Bruno. Pogba when played furthest forward put up world class stats for us as well, but he's needed deeper so we can dominate the midfield the way we have in the past few games.

With that said Bruno is also extremely productive, so in the AM role they may very well be equals. But Pogba is class all over the pitch.
I do think Bruno could also drop deep and still remain a good player and be productive. Pogba plays with an elegance that honestly is pretty much unmatched in football, but Bruno has that Cristiano Ronaldo like quality of just providing moments at the perfect time for the team. They are both equally difficult traits to find so I don’t think either of them are that easy to replace. The best thing is that we have them both, and honestly the thought of those two combining next season is enough to make me very excited.

Adam-Utd

I do think Bruno could also drop deep and still remain a good player and be productive. Pogba plays with an elegance that honestly is pretty much unmatched in football, but Bruno has that Cristiano Ronaldo like quality of just providing moments at the perfect time for the team. They are both equally difficult traits to find so I don’t think either of them are that easy to replace. The best thing is that we have them both, and honestly the thought of those two combining next season is enough to make me very excited.
I guarantee you Pogba is 10x better as a CM than Bruno is. Bruno's game just isn't efficient enough to play deep, but he's a fantastic CAM.

In fairness to the lad he has buckled down since he's come back and looks as though he's trying to make a fist of it, but you can tell he doesn't feel comfortable curtailing his natural attacking instincts for the benefit of the team. I think it helps him having Matic alongside him, reminding him of his responsibilities and It'll be interesting to see how gets on in that new deeper role when Matic gets rested.
Pogba has played fine when Matic was subbed so I don't see that as being an issue at all. He's not a 18 year old that needs babysitting, the guy is a world cup winner in this exact position.

IF he went to Madrid this summer I guarantee you everybody would soon have a very different opinion on him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is our outright best player. He's the Jordan to Bruno's Pippen.
Fair enough if you think Pogba is better but I still think my point holds up, and my response to that comparison would be that Pogba thrives doing the Pippen role, and has failed trying to do what Jordan did. Bruno isn't anything like Jordan either, but in terms of this squad he would be the closest. Last time I thought of that comparison Pogba wanted to be Jordan, afraid to be Pippin, acting as Rodman in all the confusion. Hopefully he has found himself as a player now, it does look like it.
Yet another backhanded compliment effort; Paul is the best player here while still improving. Fernandes could score 1000 penalties and that will not change, Paul is our only elite player and hopefully he stays and starts scoring regularly again.
Backhanded compliment :lol: Stop being incredibly sensitive and slightly paranoid. Your opinion is just fine without the dramatic effect, and my disagreement is also fine.
No context is needed, he is the best player we have end of.
Fernandes simply is not on that level and after Paul leaves that title will most likely fall to Martial and Greenwood. Fernandes has done well since he came in there is no need to overrate him, there is a reason no one else wanted him and you will see more of why next season when every team is back in full flow. Funny people always commented on penalties forming a large part of Paul's goal tally but it is never mentioned for Fernandes.
Again, you come off as incredibly sensitive and while you accuse me of giving backhanded compliments you actually seem to create arguments out of pocket just to play Bruno down, which is totally unnecessary.

TrustInJanuzaj

I guarantee you Pogba is 10x better as a CM than Bruno is. Bruno's game just isn't efficient enough to play deep, but he's a fantastic CAM.
I do agree pogba is better in that role but I think in a pinch Bruno could play as a number 8 like he did in the Wolves game and as he has for other clubs in the past.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness

Pogba has played fine when Matic was subbed so I don't see that as being an issue at all. He's not a 18 year old that needs babysitting, the guy is a world cup winner in this exact position.

IF he went to Madrid this summer I guarantee you everybody would soon have a very different opinion on him.
Its slightly different when we are in control of the match and he doesn't have to be as disciplined, and for France he played in a less offensive team surrounded by players like Kante and Matuidi who can run and cover him till the cows come home, something he doesn't have at United.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Its slightly different when we are in control of the match and he doesn't have to be as disciplined, and for France he played in a less offensive team surrounded by players like Kante and Matuidi who can run and cover him till the cows come home, something he doesn't have at United.
We don't necessarily have to depend on Pogba being disciplined in that role every game against the best teams though. Obviously it would be nice if he can prove that he is up for it against the better teams in that role, and I think he is, but even if he isn't just having him there to help crush the easier teams is worth a lot. We could play Fred, McTominay, Pogba in a midfield 3 and Bruno as a floating striker or whatever against top teams if the way we're playing now doesn't work. There is no reason to be negative right now about Pogba.

Conor

You say last 5 years, and conveniently pick a timeframe where Pogba was missing for most of a season while Bruno was racking them up, from a website that conveniently doesn't cover all competitions. No response about the clubs they were playing for, or the level at which they were producing these numbers either. And I'm the one shifting timelines and supposed to be 'trying'. :lol:

My opinion might be unpopular, but at least I put effort into stating why. I am no Nostradamus, I have a simple proposition that could very well be wrong. You're just wumming around, not even bothering to read posts, and throwing out personal comments and hyperboles without any real effort in engaging in a debate.

Not going to reply to you any further, it's a waste of time.
You made a crap shout and like 5 people called you up on it. give it up. I picked 5 years as a pretty normal arbitrary time, which fit given the ages of the players, Fernandes' first few years in this supposed rigged timeframe that I picked aren't even good, so that strawman goes out the window. Your prediction was bad and you should move on.

Le Red

The fanboys are at it again. People saying Pogba has been one of our best players still makes them angry.
No, you gotta say he's the best, the best that ever was or ever has been. Bruno who?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The fanboys are at it again. People saying Pogba has been one of our best players still makes them angry.
No, you gotta say he's the best, the best that ever was or ever has been. Bruno who?
Yep. I find this possibly the most annoying thread on red cafe. Can’t help popping in from time to time though. :wenger:

How dare anyone think that anyone could come to the club and instantly have a bigger impact than Pogba?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.