6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

I missed the game, but had hoped we'd play forward faster. That was the case? Were there any positives to it?

We struggle playing possession football as our attackers lack ability in closed space. It makes sense for our midfield to pass forward to the wings and give them room to attack, despite any errors that ensue.

It's a balance though, between pragmatism and playing with risk.
In truth the only real positives from the game last night were Greenwood and Axel, but I did think our tempo was better and we did create more chances than in recent games, and right now any small improvements have to be looked at as a plus IMO.

Stevondo8

Really? I think a team with top attack and actual organization on the pitch is exactly where he'll do extremely well. He'll rack up tons of assists and him losing the ball or not tracking back all the time would be easily forgotten (especially if he's playing next to players doing their job like it was in Juve). I don't think he'll ever be considered a success in a squad having the likes of Young, Mctom, Matic, Pereira, Lingard, Mata, Rashford, etc. featuring frequently and any sort of attacking play coaching seemingly being non existent for years. Such a swap could benefit both sides although I imagine people here would be quite disappointed when they find out that Veratti or whoever else will also make mistakes and will have a lot of mediocre to bad performances in such a dysfunctional side.
Of course he’d get goals and assists at PSG, they’re miles better than every other team in their league...reckon I could do a job for PSG in that league!

I get your point about the United squad and on paper Pogba wipes the floor with all the players you mention, but in reality, on the pitch when it matters, he’s just as useless as the rest of them 90% of the time. (Arbitrary % picked at random but you get the point, majority of the time his performances do not stand out for positive reasons)

I find it crazy when people talk about Pogba like he doesn't care. Its completely against the mindset of a top pro in the modern game. These guys aren't the Matt Le Tissiers of the world, back in the 90s with all the talent but couldn't give a feck and consequently achieved sod all. You don't get to Pogba's level in 2019 without the inbuilt drive to compete against anything and everything. He might have bad games but it's not because he doesn't put the effort in.

Its been obvious for years he's the kind of player who needs a functioning team around him. Here we seem to expect him to do everything on his own.

fergiesarmy1

I find it crazy when people talk about Pogba like he doesn't care. Its completely against the mindset of a top pro in the modern game. These guys aren't the Matt Le Tissiers of the world, back in the 90s with all the talent but couldn't give a feck and consequently achieved sod all. You don't get to Pogba's level in 2019 without the inbuilt drive to compete against anything and everything. He might have bad games but it's not because he doesn't put the effort in.

Its been obvious for years he's the kind of player who needs a functioning team around him. Here we seem to expect him to do everything on his own.
Wow, I’d suggest it is the complete opposite most players had to put a shift in in 80s and 90s it was the bare minimum (there are exceptions of course).

In this day and age with clowns like Lingard focusing on thier clothing empire, most players poncing about on some form of social media or other football has become just a part of the gig of a full time footballer and the bigger and more famous you are the more time seems to be spend focusing on non football matters.

Wow, I’d suggest it is the complete opposite most players had to put a shift in in 80s and 90s it was the bare minimum (there are exceptions of course).

In this day and age with clowns like Lingard focusing on thier clothing empire, most players poncing about on some form of social media or other football has become just a part of the gig of a full time footballer and the bigger and more famous you are the more time seems to be spend focusing on non football matters.
Name me one top PL player now who doesn't play and train 100%. They're all incredible athletes and hugely motivated even if it doesn't always look that way to fans. They have to be, the competition is so high. Talent alone isnt enough anymore.

Then go back to the or 80s or 90s and write a list, you'd be here all day. Drinking, women, gambling, skipping training, they lived however they wanted.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Poor game today but even so at least he was trying to make something happen. I was losing my mind with the amount of time our fullbacks and wingers were getting towards the byline then just passing it backwards.. at least pogba was trying something. I dread to think what we would be like without him.
In fairness they might be fed up, as I imagine James must be, where there is absolutely fecking no-one in the box to take advantage of crosses anyway. It takes the mick, we have no one at all who gambles on low crosses to snatch up.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
We would be lucky to get 130 million for him. Shows he can be exceptional when he feels like it but is way too often mediocre at best.

romufc

You can tell his attitude is 'these games are beneath me'. Its so frustrating cos he should have easily won us the game in the first 20-30 minutes.

And he cant say anything, cos he had a few chances to score. Its annoying cos hes brainless at times, and when he gets frustrated, he starts doing things that make it more complicated and thus fcks up.

His good is really good, however his bad is really bad, and we see that more often than not.
When I saw Pogba in the team sheet I thought right, Ole would have said Pogba go out there take the game to them 2-0 at half time and your job is done so Garner can get a outing.

fergiesarmy1

Name me one top PL player now who doesn't play and train 100%. They're all incredible athletes and hugely motivated even if it doesn't always look that way to fans. They have to be, the competition is so high. Talent alone isnt enough anymore.

Then go back to the or 80s or 90s and write a list, you'd be here all day. Drinking, women, gambling, skipping training, they lived however they wanted.
Lukaku, Phil Jones, Luke Shaw that’s just at our club.

There was more of that going on in the 80s or 90s but Lukaku wouldn’t have been allowed on the pitch in his shape back in the day.

There was more of that going on in the 80s or 90s but Lukaku wouldn’t have been allowed on the pitch in his shape back in the day.
I'm talking more about players at Pogba's level. Jones is a joke at this point.

Shaw I'd wager was some kind of mental issue and Lukaku seemed to think he was doing the right thing by piling weight on.

fergiesarmy1

I'm talking more about players at Pogba's level. Jones is a joke at this point.

Shaw I'd wager was some kind of mental issue and Lukaku seemed to think he was doing the right thing by piling weight on.
We shall see if he pulls a sicky on Monday after that workout.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

I think a Phil Jones training at 100% would be a serious danger to himself and everyone around him.

papayafc

Any player who cares scores with that header. I score with that header.

Pogba doesn’t care but we knew that already.
Hello, been lurking for many years but after last night I decided it was officially time to join in the fun.

I cannot believe the vitriol directed at Pogba. Our fans routinely call him a virus/disease. It's loaded language and it's totally toxic.

Hatred towards Pogba turns people irrational. Yes it was a sitter. Do you think Juan Mata missed an even easier sitter against West Ham because he also ‘doesn't care'? Pogba was very clearly extremely frustrated after he missed that chance.

Was a poor game from him, no doubt. Particularly in the first half. Second half he was ok and held onto the ball better. Hope it was rustiness and he is ready to go against Arsenal as he is still our only quality creative outlet in midfield.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPRouve

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Hatred towards Pogba turns people irrational.
I don’t actually hate Pogba for not caring anymore. His attitude last year was disappointing but now he’s right to think this isn’t the squad or club for him. I don’t consider him a traitor for wanting no part of this fiasco.

ostentatious

You can tell his attitude is 'these games are beneath me'. Its so frustrating cos he should have easily won us the game in the first 20-30 minutes.

Wasn't a good game from him, but he was trying yesterday, and was really frustrated when he missed the header. That's surely not the sign of a man who thought the game was beneath him, is it? And he's just back from an injury and not yet fully match fit. Glad he got the minutes in.

ostentatious

Any player who cares scores with that header. I score with that header.

Pogba doesn’t care but we knew that already.
Wow. Anyone who cares doesn't miss a single big chance, you mean? Seriously? By all means, criticise his game, but try to be objective about it.

fergiesarmy1

Wasn't a good game from him, but he was trying yesterday, and was really frustrated when he missed the header. That's surely not the sign of a man who thought the game was beneath him, is it? And he's just back from an injury and not yet fully match fit. Glad he got the minutes in.
Looking frustrated for missing a sitter isn’t a good sign, I’d expect professional players to look that way in training for missing that. As someone posted it was a few weeks out with an “ankle injury” not recovery from a broken leg.

ostentatious

Looking frustrated for missing a sitter isn’t a good sign, I’d expect professional players to look that way in training for missing that.
It may or may not be a good sign (a lot of professional players however do show their frustration in matches and I'm sure that in some cases it would even have been thought of as signs that the player cares), I wasn't speaking about that earlier. The post that I quoted talked about how hist attitude was that of a man who thought such games were beneath him. I felt that the show of frustration after missing the header and all the desperate (and bad, at times) efforts to do something by himself all showed that wasn't the case.

As someone posted it was a few weeks out with an “ankle injury” not recovery from a broken leg.
So what? Missing weeks of playing actual matches, and even training tend to make a player lose his match fitness. The only way you get that back is by playing again. Again, I'm not saying that it's impossible for a player to come back from an injury and pick up right from where he left off, but that it's not uncommon or inconceivable that a player may need time to play himself into some form after an injury.

fergiesarmy1

It may or may not be a good sign (a lot of professional players however do show their frustration in matches and I'm sure that in some cases it would even have been thought of as signs that the player cares), I wasn't speaking about that earlier. The post that I quoted talked about how hist attitude was that of a man who thought such games were beneath him. I felt that the show of frustration after missing the header and all the desperate (and bad, at times) efforts to do something by himself all showed that wasn't the case.

So what? Missing weeks of playing actual matches, and even training tend to make a player lose his match fitness. The only way you get that back is by playing again. Again, I'm not saying that it's impossible for a player to come back from an injury and pick up right from where he left off, but that it's not uncommon or inconceivable that a player may need time to play himself into some form after an injury.
He was playing against Rochdale (youngsters in most cases), I used to coach kids about 12-14 years old and I could dribble past them all when I felt like it.

Not saying a professional team 2 divisions below is anywhere near the same level before nut jobs lose their shit but I was no World Cup winner but I’d assume a £100m World Cup winner in his prime could stand out half fit against Rochdale reserves. He didn’t, some of their players looked better if you didn’t know who he was.

fergiesarmy1

So apparently De Gea paid for everyone after the Rochdale game to go for a team bonding meal which is a nice thing to do considering he got a nice new contract

Pogba didn’t go

Denis79

Well, if a team doesn't offer around that ball park I doubt we'll sell.
I'm fairly certain he won't sign a new contract with us, I'm also fairly certain our board will look to get as much as possible for him. They won't let it go past next summer, if he doesn't sign a new contract I can bet anything they'll let him go for around a 100M.

Heinzesight

I think we are all kidding ourselves he’s going to suddenly become this consistently good player. I thought he would, we know he has the talent but not the application to do it over a full 90.

He’s world class one minute and absolute shite the next. This is what he is and it won’t change at his age. Need to get rid. What’s the point in keeping him. Three years the same shit. And he talks shit...don’t forget the turd he’s spouted since he’s been here.

fergiesarmy1

Simon Jones in the daily mail. He wasn’t the only one who didn’t go but he gets the headline. Young, Jones, Rojo, Romero, Maguire also not there. Article says only 10 players were there.
Doesn’t get the captains armband again Rochdale (Ole said Axel didn’t get it because he grew up in Rochdale)
Plays like crap again after another few weeks out
Doesn’t go on a team bonding session

Clearly gonna stay :lol:

papayafc

Doesn’t get the captains armband again Rochdale (Ole said Axel didn’t get it because he grew up in Rochdale)
Plays like crap again after another few weeks out
Doesn’t go on a team bonding session

Clearly gonna stay :lol:
Others didn't go and the reason cited, as I understand it, was being disappointed at the performance. Nice selective reading...

We've Won It All

It really is crazy how one player can be so differently thought of by our fanbase. I myself am in the, 'get rid of him' camp. My thoughts are based on his football outputs and are nothing do with his hair, that is for sure.

The guy has no regard for possession of the football. Now, that is one thing if you play very high up the pitch, but Pogba has shown many times that he can't play inbetween the lines with his back to goal. He doesn't have a feel for the pitch at all when playing with his back to the defensive line. He needs, and wants, the ball at his feet facing the goal. Therefore, he has to play relatively deep as a CM and that has resulted in him gifting the ball away in our own half time, after time, after time.

Paul has the same issue so many of our squad have. He has the technical ability to produce ANYTHING you would want on a football pitch; more so than perhaps anyone in world football not named Messi. The problem is that high level technical consistency is far more important than world class technical ability.

The notion that Pogba gives the ball away so much as a result of trying to force the issue because of a lack of ability elsewhere is a fallacy. He gives the ball away in all kinds of manners all over the pitch and early on in games too.

All of these things frustrate me, but the most frustrating thing for me is his attitude defensively. If you watch, he ALWAYS commits when closing down an opponent. This looks great if you dispossess your opponent but it is reckless from a defensive shape perspective. You have to 'jockey' your opponent at times. You can't just fly in and win the ball. It sickens me when I see him commit himself and get taken out of the game with a simple give and go or when he just gets beaten by the guy he's closing down.

I am just not a fan. I don't believe you can build around his reckless, unpredictable style of play.

Bestietom

When last did Pogba have a good game for us. City when he scored 2 in the comeback, is the last one comes to mind. He is far too inconsistent and if we can get 150million for him, let him off ASAP. I have no time for players that don't give their all for the team.

Raw

When last did Pogba have a good game for us. City when he scored 2 in the comeback, is the last one comes to mind. He is far too inconsistent and if we can get 150million for him, let him off ASAP. I have no time for players that don't give their all for the team.
He had plenty of good performances during that run of wins under Ole.

Problem is Pogba is not the kind of player to take the game by the scruff of the neck and win it all by himself when everyone else is playing poorly. Pogba will perform at his best when the rest of the team is playing well.

Apokalips

Others didn't go and the reason cited, as I understand it, was being disappointed at the performance. Nice selective reading...
He's also been seen going to watch our Under 18s and giving encouragement and guidance to the youngsters. Not quite the dedication I'd expect from someone who so desperately wants away, but I guess maybe he was telling them to leave it something?

fergiesarmy1

He's also been seen going to watch our Under 18s and giving encouragement and guidance to the youngsters. Not quite the dedication I'd expect from someone who so desperately wants away, but I guess maybe he was telling them to leave it something?
I’d be more impressed if he showed up on a pitch now and again, last goal from open play for club or country was middle of February (not far of our Jesse’s record who gets called out daily for that) but apparently that doesn’t matter to pogba fans as he’s a non defending defensive midfielder now or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.