6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

Average game from him but it didn't matter anyway, it was about getting some match sharpness.

Against Arsenal i expect him to be on fire though.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I actually don't think the lack of effort was the problem last to be honest (though that has been an issue in some games in the past). I think he was just trying to pull off the spectacular - not seen him take that many long shots for a long time. Was a very frustrating performance but perhaps can be put down to rustiness.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
One of his worst games easily, yes back from injury but still so horrible. I would think a player would ease himself into a game after an injury, not try too much crazy stuff by carrying the ball but this is in his DNA I guess. The sloppy passing doesn't surprise me after the injury though

fergiesarmy1

You're not living in the reality of a professional athlete who can play upwards of 60 games a year between club and international competition. These people aren't machines and this was just a game for him to get back into shape so he can, hopefully, perform better in the league games that actually matter, not this worthless competition. It's naive to think players will play their hardest and treat every game of equal importance, not to mention Pogba could risk injury going full clip with a month off. This was a perfect opportunity for him to get back into match fitness, which I suspect will still take a couple more games.
Paul Pogba has never played more than 60 games in a season, 2018 he managed 47 combined with France and that included a World Cup!

If he is stepping onto the pitch at Old Trafford in front of thousands fans and not trying then he is cheating the manager, his team mates particularly the youngsters who should be leading by example, the fans and the opposition.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
One of the things we should be looking to do as part of this ‘rebuild’ is moving Pogba on at some point. Exactly the opposite of the kind of player we need at the club.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

One of the things we should be looking to do as part of this ‘rebuild’ is moving Pogba on at some point. Exactly the opposite of the kind of player we need at our club.
Phone up PSG and ask for a swap with Verratti.

If PSG are smart, they'd hang up right away though.

Bestietom

You're not living in the reality of a professional athlete who can play upwards of 60 games a year between club and international competition. These people aren't machines and this was just a game for him to get back into shape so he can, hopefully, perform better in the league games that actually matter, not this worthless competition. It's naive to think players will play their hardest and treat every game of equal importance, not to mention Pogba could risk injury going full clip with a month off. This was a perfect opportunity for him to get back into match fitness, which I suspect will still take a couple more games.
No it's not naive to think that a player who is being paid top wages by a club, should give 110% every game. If managers were to allow this, there would never be a chance of success.

Hammondo

I think it goes to show how many clueless fans there are when the think we would get close to 180m for him.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He was lively during 30 mins, lost a lot of balls, but faded after 50 min and was an absolute waste of space.

Ole should have replaced him to be honest

izzydiggler

You'd hope nights like last night would show him (and his acolytes) that if you don't approach the game right, you are going to struggle.

He's talented but nowhere near the player (I think) he thinks he is. He seems to think he can just walk out against 'lesser' opposition and walk all over them because he's a superior player...but is continually poor against said opposition, you'd expect him to be able to perform against. Didn't work at the end of last season against the likes of Everton, Cardiff and Bournemouth last season and when you don't stand out against Rochdale...I mean something is very wrong - and this is after a few weeks of 'evidence' of how important he is for us.

How anyone can defend him is beyond me, yet you read how he's 'world class'. Mind boggling.

kouroux

No it's not naive to think that a player who is being paid top wages by a club, should give 110% every game. If managers were to allow this, there would never be a chance of success.
It really is naive all things considered, this is from the POV of fans and it makes sense looking at it like that but in reality, players will never play with the same intensity every game.

Bestietom

You'd hope nights like last night would show him (and his acolytes) that if you don't approach the game right, you are going to struggle.

He's talented but nowhere near the player (I think) he thinks he is. He seems to think he can just walk out against 'lesser' opposition and walk all over them because he's a superior player...but is continually poor against said opposition, you'd expect him to be able to perform against. Didn't work at the end of last season against the likes of Everton, Cardiff and Bournemouth last season and when you don't stand out against Rochdale...I mean something is very wrong - and this is after a few weeks of 'evidence' of how important he is for us.

How anyone can defend him is beyond me, yet you read how he's 'world class'. Mind boggling.
And we will probably pay him 500k a week to do this.

Bestietom

It really is naive all things considered, this is from the POV of fans and it makes sense looking at it like that but in reality, players will never play with the same intensity every game.
I understand that players can have off days, but you can see if a player is trying or not.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What's this talk about him being injured at the end of the game?

kouroux

I understand that players can have off days, but you can see if a player is trying or not.
Yes, you can. I don't like the analogy with every day life but for them it's like our equivalent for our daily jobs. I sure as hell don't give 100% and there are days I do the bare minimum.
It would be amazing if even half of them had the mindset of fans but it just isn't

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Paul Pogba has never played more than 60 games in a season, 2018 he managed 47 combined with France and that included a World Cup!

If he is stepping onto the pitch at Old Trafford in front of thousands fans and not trying then he is cheating the manager, his team mates particularly the youngsters who should be leading by example, the fans and the opposition.
He was hurt most likely at some points throughout that season, but I'm not talking about Pogba specifically but just any top professional footballers who compete at the highest level can have a huge amount of games to play in a year. If you think they're giving 110% on those meaningless cup games with important league games coming up as they're coming back from injury, you're out of your mind. He's getting back in shape in a worthless competition, he's not playing a CL final FFS.

It's naive because it's not rooted in the reality of professional sports and it happens all the time, players aren't machines that perform at peak intensity even in meaningless cup games. They're going to have to pace themselves and that inevitably means picking and choosing which games you will go full clip at. These kinds of third rate league cup games shouldn't even be played by players like Pogba, they're a waste of time but in his case, this was just a warm up to get back into shape for the games that actually matter. I don't think Ole himself would want Pogba to go at 100% on his first game back against semi-professionals, it's just nonsense if you're looking at the big picture.

fergiesarmy1

He was hurt most likely at some points throughout that season, but I'm not talking about Pogba specifically but just any top professional footballers who compete at the highest level can have a huge amount of games to play in a year. If you think they're giving 110% on those meaningless cup games with important league games coming up as they're coming back from injury, you're out of your mind. He's getting back in shape in a worthless competition, he's not playing a CL final FFS.
Well according to some nut jobs on here he’s up there with Ronaldo and Messi and they seem to give it their all in most games, rarely get injured and do actually put in over 60 games a season usually.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Well according to some nut jobs on here he’s up there with Ronaldo and Messi and they seem to give it their all in most games, rarely get injured and do actually put in over 60 games a season usually.
Well, I'm not too keen on entertaining those kinds of assessments of Pogba in comparison to those two, and I can't say for CR7 who is an animal, but I've seen Messi take some games off, he's just such an incredible player that he'll still make an impact even at half speed.

Zlatattack

Time to cash in during the summer i think. He's never shown consistency for us, he gives less of a f--- every passing day.

fergiesarmy1

Well, I'm not too keen on entertaining those kinds of assessments of Pogba in comparison to those two, and I can't say for CR7 who is an animal, but I've seen Messi take some games off, he's just such an incredible player that he'll still make an impact even at half speed.
Fair enough. Even a half fit half trying Paul Pogba should look better against a reserve Rochdale team at home though and that is my issue. Over-hyped, over-paid and still over-here unfortunately in my opinion.

Bestietom

It's naive because it's not rooted in the reality of professional sports and it happens all the time, players aren't machines that perform at peak intensity even in meaningless cup games. They're going to have to pace themselves and that inevitably means picking and choosing which games you will go full clip at. These kinds of third rate league cup games shouldn't even be played by players like Pogba, they're a waste of time but in his case, this was just a warm up to get back into shape for the games that actually matter. I don't think Ole himself would want Pogba to go at 100% on his first game back against semi-professionals, it's just nonsense if you're looking at the big picture.
Then I hope we are looking at the big picture and the ones that didn't perform give that extra 20% or whatever more it takes in the upcoming games. We will see.

Bondi77

He was rubbish today but he was not on his own on that score. I just find it concerning that he seems to have no quality in his play now when it comes to getting a shot on target or even a simple finish with his head.
I really do wonder if he is suited to the fast pace of the English game even against this type of opposition as he loses the ball quite a lot when he is pressured; I am not saying he is a bad player as he was obviously very good at Juve but I think in Italy you get more time on the ball and he is more comfortable playing in that league.

fergiesarmy1

He was rubbish today but he was not on his own on that score. I just find it concerning that he seems to have no quality in his play now when it comes to getting a shot on target or even a simple finish with his head.
I really do wonder if he is suited to the fast pace of the English game even against this type of opposition as he loses the ball quite a lot when he is pressured; I am not saying he is a bad player as he was obviously very good at Juve but I think in Italy you get more time on the ball and he is more comfortable playing in that league.
He had better players around him as well just to show I’m not totally biased :lol:

youngrell

The OTT reactions continue with regards to Pogba, I see. To the point where people are saying he doesn't care about the game/competition?

He showed clear frustration throughout that match when things weren't going right. That was not the reactions of someone who doesn't care.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Any player who cares scores with that header. I score with that header.

Pogba doesn’t care but we knew that already.

Stevondo8

The problem with Pogba is that he has been so hyped up in press/by fans/his price tag that we all expect him to dominate every game he plays in, but he doesn’t.

He’s obviously a very talented footballer, but I just don’t think he’s a very good player to have in your team. How often does the showboat/Hollywood pass actually come off? Rarely.

You can maybe forgive him a bit of rustiness after being injured for a month or so last night, but do we honestly expect him to be the best midfielder on the pitch against arsenal? I don’t. I think it’ll be a real battle between him and Xhaka to see who can be the most ineffective. Let’s hope I’m very much wrong however.

youngrell

Any player who cares scores with that header. I score with that header.

Pogba doesn’t care but we knew that already.
So why did he hold his head in his hands and hit the post in frustration? To show how much he doesn't care that he missed a glorious chance?

El-Manos

Do people remember his debut here? He looked so feckin good. Maybe our coaches turned him to shit:lol::lol:

izzydiggler

Do people remember his debut here? He looked so feckin good. Maybe our coaches turned him to shit:lol::lol:
Here we go again...the coaches this time.

Perhaps if he took some responsibility for his own performances, we might actually get some consistency and ultimately, the fulfilment of his potential. Won’t hold my breath though.

nyanza

Phone up PSG and ask for a swap with Verratti.

If PSG are smart, they'd hang up right away though.
Really? I think a team with top attack and actual organization on the pitch is exactly where he'll do extremely well. He'll rack up tons of assists and him losing the ball or not tracking back all the time would be easily forgotten (especially if he's playing next to players doing their job like it was in Juve). I don't think he'll ever be considered a success in a squad having the likes of Young, Mctom, Matic, Pereira, Lingard, Mata, Rashford, etc. featuring frequently and any sort of attacking play coaching seemingly being non existent for years. Such a swap could benefit both sides although I imagine people here would be quite disappointed when they find out that Veratti or whoever else will also make mistakes and will have a lot of mediocre to bad performances in such a dysfunctional side.

El-Manos

Here we go again...the coaches this time.

Perhaps if he took some responsibility for his own performances, we might actually get some consistency and ultimately, the fulfilment of his potential. Won’t hold my breath though.
It was an obvious joke man, relax. Obviously he should be held responsible for his own form.

Sylar

You can tell his attitude is 'these games are beneath me'. Its so frustrating cos he should have easily won us the game in the first 20-30 minutes.

And he cant say anything, cos he had a few chances to score. Its annoying cos hes brainless at times, and when he gets frustrated, he starts doing things that make it more complicated and thus fcks up.

His good is really good, however his bad is really bad, and we see that more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.