Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I don't think he's that good at all. Amazed how someone can be held in such high esteem, but yet has countless underwhelming performances. He has the odd world class game, but they come around once every solar eclipse. He's shit.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The more i think of him the more i believe that he is hugely overhyped. Still a good player on his day, but nowhere near as good as 90 million.

It is like one of those hollywood movies that gets 5 star reviews from the tabloids and is advertised on tv to make it look good and then when you see it, it is not as good as it was hyped up to be. That is what has happened with Pogba.

For 90 million, understandably fans are expecting a prime Pirlo or Zidane or Scholes, which Pogba is none of. He is a 40 million pound player that is hyped beyond belief.

CaptainBirdseye

We definitely could but fact remains he is a very talented footballer, hasn't worked in other positions as we hoped and we have a dearth in quality at RW, what's to lose? I'd personally go with the diamond anyway as we don't have proper wingers quite simply:

DDG
Henderson
AWB_______Maguire__Lindelof___Telles
Williams___Bailly_____Tuanzabe__Shaw
_____________Matic
__________________________Fred
______________Pogba___VDB_____
________________________Mctom___Fred
___________________Bruno_________
________________________Mata___
______________Rashford___Martial_____
__________________________Cavani_______Greenwood_____

Even if we simultaneously fielded all these players against another 11, I'd see us struggling right now.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Can people not see it as well, that Pogba is the only player where we say we have to adapt the formation or players to him, to get him to perform. We dont say about bruno that we need to play a diamond or a 4-3-3 or a 3-5-2 or whatever to get the best out of him. He delivers regardless of what team we field or formation we play.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The more i think of him the more i believe that he is hugely overhyped. Still a good player on his day, but nowhere near as good as 90 million.

It is like one of those hollywood movies that gets 5 star reviews from the tabloids and is advertised on tv to make it look good and then when you see it, it is not as good as it was hyped up to be. That is what has happened with Pogba.

For 90 million, understandably fans are expecting a prime Pirlo or Zidane or Scholes, which Pogba is none of. He is a 40 million pound player that is hyped beyond belief.
Massive recency bias.

He's clearly not playing to his top level at the moment, maybe his foot injury has permanently ruined him, it happens.

Go back though and watch Pogba at Juve / Early United and he was so much better. He just looks slow and heavy at the moment, hopefully it's just a case of getting back into full fitness - 6 months with zero matches isn't easy to come back into.

snowkarl

So what are our expectations for him in the last year here at United? Since it's pretty clear now he will leave for Juventus or Spain next year (hopefully, and not an English club), do you think he'll start working harder and perform or continue with his poor form?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Pogba oozes that mentality of Raiola players like Zlatan.

They view themselves as the best player in the team and the team adapts to bring out that single players ability.

In the modern game you cant be consistent as a team trying to blend your team to get the best out of single players. The game has moved on from that and has build teams that all function together to create a solid tactical system.

Whilst Pogba is clearly being misused here - I cant see the guy playing for a team like City, Liverpool, Barcelona or Bayern. They require that team ethic of playing in a single way and adapting when needed to work around the opposition team.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He should be dropped and forced to work hard to earn back his place. I have no doubt that he couldn’t care less about United but maybe he cares about France and in order to be in form for the Euros he might be willing to at least look again like a professional footballer playing in the PL. Ole really needs to drop him.

Foxbatt

France has so many top class players plus they do not press him in the International matches like they do in the PL so he has the time and space to do whatever he wants.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He should be dropped and forced to work hard to earn back his place. I have no doubt that he couldn’t care less about United but maybe he cares about France and in order to be in form for the Euros he might be willing to at least look again like a professional footballer playing in the PL. Ole really needs to drop him.
This. There is everything to gain by doing that, Pogba will either force himself and improve or we'd give his playing time to a more willing player.

DanClancy

Given we paid £90m he's the biggest disappointment of the lot and I expect him to leave next summer and we'll be lucky to get half that.

Stats can be so dangerous with Pogba, the amount of times he gets caught in possession in a dangerous area or fails to track a runner is just unforgiveable.

Saddy

Unconvincing clip - only the referee really got a foot in to tackle or close him down as he would experience against every Premier League side. Stand off and allow him to play he's pretty good but that ain't happening anywhere near enough for us.

He cannot play alongside Bruno - it's not a strong enough midfield defensively and exposes a very fragile defence

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Unconvincing clip - only the referee really got a foot in to tackle or close him down as he would experience against every Premier League side. Stand off and allow him to play he's pretty good but that ain't happening anywhere near enough for us.

He cannot play alongside Bruno - it's not a strong enough midfield defensively and exposes a very fragile defence
Our midfield looks a mess whoever plays, I think this points to a larger issue. Saying that Pogbas form has been poor since his return

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I know he gets asked the questions, but he really needs to stop answering. Not like Madrid will even go for him if he doesn't pick his form up anyway. Hope they do. He's not worth the hassle. Not enough time on the ball in the premier league for him to be at his best.

The Original

The pass at 38 seconds typifies his recent approach, a simple floor pass here quickly exploits the space but he wants to play a slow in the air hollywood pass...

The way people micro analyse everything Pogba does is actually amazing. A lofted pass is your definition of a Hollywood pass??

I think its pretty obvious to anyone who has played football at any level, that over longer distances lofting the ball is far more efficient and less risky because grass slows the ball, requiring considerably more power to get the ball to the same target.

monosierra

I know he gets asked the questions, but he really needs to stop answering. Not like Madrid will even go for him if he doesn't pick his form up anyway. Hope they do. He's not worth the hassle. Not enough time on the ball in the premier league for him to be at his best.
He has the abilities of a top player, but unfortunately it has not worked out for him tactically and mentally for him here. I will be happy to sell him to Madrid for no less than 10 mil less than what we paid for him. Unfortunately it looks like he will leave a free agent.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

It’s my dream too, please feck off already. Unfortunately, it isn’t Madrid’s dream to have him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
The way people micro analyse everything Pogba does is actually amazing. A lofted pass is your definition of a Hollywood pass??

I think its pretty obvious to anyone who has played football at any level, that over longer distances lofting the ball is far more efficient and less risky because grass slows the ball, requiring considerably more power to get the ball to the same target.
Have you watched the ball Im talking about? Its not a long pass...

Cloud7

Wrong time to answer that question that way Paul. Wrong time.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I really hope we sell this idiot. Puts in a handful of great performances per season and the rest of the time he's anonymous.

I hear his name more in the media than by the commentators in our games.

I'd rather have someone who would give at least a 7/10 most games.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Copied from Reddit

People should read the full interview first

> First asked about his future, he said, relayed by RMC Sport: “I’m at Manchester. A lot has been said, but I haven’t. I heard a lot of noise like I was going to leave and that I should go to this or that club. Today, I’m still in Manchester, and I’m fighting to bring the club back to the highest level”.
>
> Then came a question about a contract extension.
>
> He replied: “I prefer to focus on the ball and especially my comeback. I haven’t been told anything. I haven’t spoken with Ed Woodward. We haven’t spoken about a renewal. For now, I’m in Manchester and I’m especially thinking about coming back to the best of my ability.
>
> “I think there will then be a time when the club will come to speak to me and maybe offer me something, or not. For now, nothing has happened I can’t tell you something I don’t know. I’m thinking about myself, coming back and putting good performances for my club”.
>
> As for the whole Real Madrid/Zinedine Zidane wanting him that never appears to go away, Pogba decided not to avoid the question, but answered it in full.
>
> He said: “Zidane? We all heard it, things were said. My reply? Yes, every football player would like to play at Real Madrid. It may be a dream. It’s a dream for me, why not one day. As I said, I’m in Manchester and I love my club. I’m performing in Manchester, I’m enjoying myself and I want to do everything to put the club back where it deserves to be. I’ll give my all, just like my teammates”.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Not much to write home about there, still looks like he's absolutely steaming for fitness. Don't think you could fool me with that sneaky pass and move sprint he broke into early on in that collection of clips. Glad he's continuing to get minutes into the legs while building himself back after Covid.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Madrid won't go for him. They're probably saving up for Mbappe and Camavinga. I think we need to be careful about this new contract. Make it based on a strong belief in the player not a run of form that'll screw us over for years.

Mr PG

Why do people never understand a very simple concept.
Pogba is world class in a less physical league.
Tall guy yes , physical player no, doesn’t embrce the physical side either and it’s the same reason his agent picked italian league for him when he couldn’t dislodge an unretired scholes.
Fergie didn’t try too hard keep him because he thought he could make it in his teams but because he knew he was definitely worth at least £30k-£40k at the time.

Even Pogba critics will acknowledge the guy is exceptional at no 10.

Gopher Brown

Exactly, his performances have blown that move to RM we all kind of expected after 3 years here. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen a performance from him at United and thought, ‘yes, world class player right there’

A typical game for him consists of 2-3 nice long range passes out to the wings, a couple of fouls won by some good close control, and 87 minutes of being slightly out of position and disinterested.

Ibi Dreams

I don't think he's that good at all. Amazed how someone can be held in such high esteem, but yet has countless underwhelming performances. He has the odd world class game, but they come around once every solar eclipse. He's shit.
Think I agree with this. He's got a lot of talent on the ball, but he's just... not that good at playing football. He doesn't play well most of the time, he doesn't seem to understand what he should be doing most of the time. I still don't know what he's meant to be, box to box or AM or deep lying playmaker. Many "worse" players are much better at playing with their team and understanding and fulfilling their role in the team.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The problem with Pogba is that he has failed to develop vital parts of his game because of his immense physical talent. He's never had to learn how to resist a press by quick decisions and passes because even if a player could press him, he would just shield them from the ball and shrug them off. But teams have learned this and actively hunt him inside our own half when pressing us because he will try his shielding technique on one while the other player nicks the ball off of him. Essentially, Pogba is a giant Ozil with better goalscoring prowess at this point. Meaning he's a player that will float around while playing passes that only a select few in football can, and will have moments of genius combined with large portions of the game passing him by. Both players are fantastic footballers but both struggle to fit into a side in the modern game because every top team has turned into a high pressing manic style of defending to win the ball high up the pitch and create easy attacking opportunities. Neither of these players are any good at pressing or defensive work, so they can't contribute to their own teams pressing which causes a disjointed effort and results in teams bypassing them too easily.

Pogba being put into a slower game 20 years ago would have been lauded as a Ballon D'or candidate, but the tempo of the game now requires more energy, decisiveness, and cohesiveness as a unit for a team to have success at the top level, which is why a team like Liverpool has workhorses that run themselves into the ground as a unit. They don't need any genius passers of the ball (although TAA is one with crosses) because a large portion of their goals come from winning the ball back and immediately being in 3v3 situations and isolating their forwards onto defenders in positive situations, so build-up play isn't as vital. It's also why they can look toothless in games where a team is content to defend and just hoof the ball up to attackers against them, as they then have to rely on numerous crosses from their fullbacks or a bit of individual magic from the forwards. It still works most of the time, but it's the only flaw in Klopp's system.

Tony247

If Ole has even single ball left he would bench Pogba in next matches and let Donny get in the team.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
He has the abilities of a top player, but unfortunately it has not worked out for him tactically and mentally for him here. I will be happy to sell him to Madrid for no less than 10 mil less than what we paid for him. Unfortunately it looks like he will leave a free agent.
He'd be 29 then too. What a waste of everyone's time if that's the case.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Tall guy yes , physical player no, doesn’t embrce the physical side either and it’s the same reason his agent picked italian league for him when he couldn’t dislodge an unretired scholes.
Fergie didn’t try too hard keep him because he thought he could make it in his teams but because he knew he was definitely worth at least £30k-£40k at the time.

Is he really? Didnt he make a name for himself as a wide midfielder at Juve, not a number 10?

United Junkie

Would you guys swap Pogba for Hazard + some cash. But the second question also is who would have to pay some cash? Us or Madrid...

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Would you guys swap Pogba for Hazard + some cash. But the second question also is who would have to pay some cash? Us or Madrid...
I mean, Hazard is essentially a cripple at this point, so he wouldn`t even pass the medical test, would he?

Gavinb33

There was always a saying you can tell the very best players by their bottom level.

Pogba's bottom level is full on diabolical and you cant hide it among the rest of the team, the truly great players bottom level is never as noticeable as his

OrcaFat

Pogba is absolutely world class in any league against any opposition. On his day. Trouble is, he is too often out of match fitness and lacks the mental strength (motivation/ intelligence) to be effective when he is below his top condition.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Pogba is absolutely world class in any league against any opposition. On his day. Trouble is, he is too often out of match fitness and lacks the mental strength (motivation/ intelligence) to be effective when he is below his top condition.
So youre attributing his poxy attitude to being fit it or not?
Absoulte shite.

Attitude is key and his is shite which is unfortunate as when he wants to play he's class.

Sooner the better he leaves he's a dark cloud hanging over the team. Offers nothing reliable.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
There was always a saying you can tell the very best players by their bottom level.

Pogba's bottom level is full on diabolical and you cant hide it among the rest of the team, the truly great players bottom level is never as noticeable as his
Right on point

fps

I agree he doesn’t have the physicality which some assume him to have due to his size, he is very strong but his engine isn’t great and he’s had injuries which have affected it further. I haven’t seen Pogba be world class anywhere in the sense I define it - a base level of performance that puts him among the very top players on the pitch in every match he plays. The lack of buyers prepared to pay Man Utd money for him reflects that he is not the game changer and dominator he was signed to be.

If Pogba was exceptional at 10 he would be Man Utd’s starting apex of the midfield three and Bruno would never have been signed. He looks great but he just isn’t that (£90m, game changer, leaderby example, top wages in the team) good anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.