Paul Pogba - Juventus player

3KDré

Funny thing is, he could easily play that de jong position that ETH is looking for right now. I think he would have been unreal under Ten Hag.
Maybe, but he's too immobile and he doesn't control the game the same way Eriksen does. I never thought I would have said it but I prefer Eriksen, he keeps the side ticking.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yeah and Adama Traore goes through bottles of baby oil before every game - what does that have to do with anything? Why are you telling me about what random players can do? Forum full of weirdos

These are just clips of Pogba beating opponents to retain the ball and/or open passing options.
The twitter post literally said greatest of all time. So the comparison with other midfielder especially one who also plays for us and does very well regardless of his age and not being a flashy player like Pogba is normal.

But I believe France would have won the World Cup with him playing though. He is just not the same player for us in the terms of importance.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
He wouldn't, he is nothing like De Jong type of player. He absolutely never was that kind of midfielder, have you actually ever watched him?
Pogba can play any midfield role except for maybe defensive mid. Hes got everything you need in his arsenal you just have to get him switched on and keep to your tactics.

Maybe, but he's too immobile and he doesn't control the game the same way Eriksen does. I never thought I would have said it but I prefer Eriksen, he keeps the side ticking.
Don't disagree at at all except from being immobile. I don't think he's immobile he just looks awkward when in control of the ball, but he is always in control of the ball. He doesn't "control' a game like eirksen but i feel like he has it in his arsenal to do it.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

such a technically gifted player despite his size. Silky. In fact, his size caused him to be mis-profiled by many. All them years wasted in a double pivot. Sigh
Still one of my favorite players to watch despite his deficiencies. If it wasn't for his injury history and the shit squad building of the managers he played under, he could have worked out. Great player. Don't @ me.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Still one of my favorite players to watch despite his deficiencies. If it wasn't for his injury history and the shit squad building of the managers he played under, he could have worked out. Great player. Don't @ me.
He would never have worked out at United, his game is more suited to a slower pace like Serie A, not the hurly burly of the PL, but ultimately it's his attitude that is the problem, he was so arrogant in his own ability that most of the time he wasn't a team player, it was all about him, bit like Ronaldo recently.

KeanoMagicHat

such a technically gifted player despite his size. Silky. In fact, his size caused him to be mis-profiled by many. All them years wasted in a double pivot. Sigh
This modern trend of calling everyone the greatest of all time is so tedious.

Also it doesn’t say much about him as a great player if he couldn’t play a double pivot and couldn’t play number 10 either.

TsuWave

The twitter post literally said greatest of all time. So the comparison with other midfielder especially one who also plays for us and does very well regardless of his age and not being a flashy player like Pogba is normal.
It’s just a hyperbolic way of appreciating how skilful he is - and it’s just a colloquialism/turn of phrase these days. I assume you guys are old and flabby if you’re taking it literally

dubplate warrior

I wonder how much better he would be in this team compared to the last, where the instruction would be much better and he would have people shouting at him on the pitch and holding him accountable. He was so talented, and actually complements Casemiro stylistically to a tee.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It’s just a hyperbolic way of appreciating how skilful he is - and it’s just a colloquialism/turn of phrase these days. I assume you guys are old and flabby if you’re taking it literally
I've seen the thread before making a comment. And yep he was ultra hyped in that twitter thread.

Kelly15

Also it doesn’t say much about him as a great player if he couldn’t play a double pivot and couldn’t play number 10 either.
It's just click bait. People like the attention they get so they say something controversial to stir the pot.

And i agree with you completely.

Xeque_279

One of those guys that has all the skill but not he mentality. Insanely rare to find a midfielder with his combination of skill and physique. So sad he couldn't fulfil his potential.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Wasn’t his best position considered a double pivot because of his French career?
He wasn’t mis-profiled at all, he was only brought back there because he was such a liability further forward
His best performances in his club career (for both Juve and ourselves) came as the most attacking of a midfield three. That's why he was so expensive when we signed him, but in the entire time he was here we only really used him there for two short periods. Once for a couple of months in his first season which coincided with the best the team played that season (he himself wasn't amazing, but it was just a well balanced midfield that worked well), and once for a couple of months when Ole took over and both we as a team and he as an individual were brilliant.

Even for France he very rarely played in a true midfield two. They'd either use an outright midfield three, or a supposed midfield two that would have another player on the wing who in reality was a central midfielder by trade. It was very noticeable that France would always play that way when Pogba was in the team, but when he was injured or otherwise not there they were much more likely to have true attacking wingers on both sides. So if even France didn't use him in a true midfield two in the international scene (which is generally much slower and weaker opposition, while he was playing for arguably the most talented team in the world), and Juventus didn't use him that way...why did we expect him to be able to do the job consistently in the strongest and fastest league in the world? Try him in that role? Sure. But why keep trying over and over when it was obvious that he was inconsistent in that role, and basically never try the other obvious option? It was just so mind-numbingly stupid that it still frustrates me.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Then Bruno came in and took the most advanced midfield position and made it his own, something which Pogba couldn't do in the 6 years he was here.

MadDogg

An exceptionally difficult player to fit in. Can't play number 10. Can't play in a 2.
Can't play with slow defenders behind him.

Needs one ball player and one superstar defensive mid around him.
Is it really that difficult to fit him in? I'd say it's the most common formation that top teams have used throughout europe for the last 20 or so years. A three man midfield, with one more focused on defense, one more focused on controlling the team, and one being a bit more offensive. Obviously there's a lot of overlap between them, but it's a very common set-up. Even we tried to regularly use that set-up during his time here, but we'd just have him as the controller while playing the likes of Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Mkhitaryan or Fellaini in that more attacking role.

I'd hardly say Matic and Herrera were 'superstars', but the three of them together were simply a balanced midfield with each player playing in the role that suited him. Surprise surprise, all three of them suddenly played extremely well (Pogba especially was brilliant) and the team as a whole was great and had the best results since SAF left.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is it really that difficult to fit him in? I'd say it's the most common formation that top teams have used throughout europe for the last 20 or so years. A three man midfield, with one more focused on defense, one more focused on controlling the team, and one being a bit more offensive. Obviously there's a lot of overlap between them, but it's a very common set-up. Even we tried to regularly use that set-up during his time here, but we'd just have him as the controller while playing the likes of Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Mkhitaryan or Fellaini in that more attacking role.

I'd hardly say Matic and Herrera were 'superstars', but the three of them together were simply a balanced midfield with each player playing in the role that suited him. Surprise surprise, all three of them suddenly played extremely well (Pogba especially was brilliant) and the team as a whole was great and had the best results since SAF left.
It’s myth that he performed consistently well in any particular role/formation when he was at United. Hence every manager ended up trying him in every possible role/formation because as soon as they found one that seemed to work for him it went to shite again shortly after.

Furthermore he was capable of playing well in almost every role/formation. The problem was always doing so consistently. Obviously being very injury prone didn’t help.

MadDogg

It’s myth that he performed consistently well in any particular role/formation when he was at United. Hence every manager ended up trying him in every possible role/formation because as soon as they found one that seemed to work for him it went to shite again shortly after.

Furthermore he was capable of playing well in almost every role/formation. The problem was always doing so consistently. Obviously being very injury prone didn’t help.
In general I would agree, but when did he actually play badly in the role I'm talking about though? The same role that he played for Juventus?

In the entire six years he was here, he only played in that role for about four months in total. Two months in his first season where I'd say he was average-to-good, and two months in his third season when he was good-to-brilliant. In both he ended up being moved back into a deeper role because of the availability of other players, rather than his own performances. Of course this also comes with the caveat that he never played it enough to prove he could do it consistently, but I think it's fairly obvious that it's the only role that he had a fairly good chance of doing it in.

There were times where we played him next to the likes of Fellaini and Herrera where the theory seemed to be he'd be the most offensive of the three, but in reality he'd still have to play as the deepest because the other two were utterly incapable of playing out from the back and controlling the team around. Which is why after a while we'd swap it around so Fellaini was obviously starting as the more offensive one.

crossy1686

career ending

People buy player PR like no other time in the history of football. Pogba has never even been the greatest player on the pitch most days.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
In the 90s he would have been considered one of the best midfielders in Europe. The game has moved on too much however.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Has he even played a game for them yet since being back? Going into a new year and he’s played no games this season :lol:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I wonder how much better he would be in this team compared to the last, where the instruction would be much better and he would have people shouting at him on the pitch and holding him accountable. He was so talented, and actually complements Casemiro stylistically to a tee.
He’ll still be crocked and on the bench.

LordSpud

Juve fans were apparently outraged about the skiing vid. So glad he's their problem now. He's this generation's Balotelli for me. Didnt he do the same thing when he was injured for us? Caught dancing at his brother's wedding or something? Also playing basketball? Something like that.

clarkydaz

didnt he always go to Dubai/Miami to 'recover' in warm climates? This week is a nice reminder Pogba and Lingard are not at the club anymore

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Juve fans were apparently outraged about the skiing vid. So glad he's their problem now. He's this generation's Balotelli for me. Didnt he do the same thing when he was injured for us? Caught dancing at his brother's wedding or something? Also playing basketball? Something like that.
Imagine dancing at your brother's wedding. Disgusting.

FujiVice

He must be desperate for attention, after not playing for a year. Sad this is how he can get it. "I'm skiing ... no I'm not lol" Clown.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Pogba opinions are always so extreme.

Hes a player with some odd weaknesses considering how good he can be. Those got magnified in a poor United team.

his biggest weakness is his attitude. Still a player I’d pay money to watch. At his peak (which is not as rare as his haters think) he’s absolutely beautiful

Threesus

He left us when we look like we are finally getting our act together. Probably one of the most unluckiest footballers that I have seen. And a victim of the United circus post-fergie.

Any idea why he has become so injury prone?

Gurtej

He left us when we look like we are finally getting our act together. Probably one of the most unluckiest footballers that I have seen. And a victim of the United circus post-fergie.

Any idea why he has become so injury prone?
i said it before that I find his body structure and the way he use to run even when young a bit weird and I said it’s highly likely he will have persistence injury issues….

glad we let him go

Vanrouge

Hes a player with some odd weaknesses considering how good he can be. Those got magnified in a poor United team.

his biggest weakness is his attitude. Still a player I’d pay money to watch. At his peak (which is not as rare as his haters think) he’s absolutely beautiful
I agree with this. He's a wonderful player to watch, such a rare mix of power and technical ability, but a combination of bad luck with injuries and his own inconsistencies made his time at United disappointing. It still hurts that he didn't work out for us.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

cyberman

The Instagram vid was obviously in response to him getting shit over the Juve tweet. He wanted to show that he wasn’t actually skiing. I’m fairly sure professional footballers aren’t allowed to ski anyway. The club insurers won’t let them.
Neuer is out for the season from a skiing accident

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

I think he is way too injury prone and takes a long time to come back into form after he recovers. His attitude issues are overblown. His numbers at United werent bad at all unlike some posters who constantly shit on him were trying to project. His injury record for last few years was horrible