Paul Pogba: My attitude wasn't right

simplyared

Would that be the same Roy Keane who ultimately left United after being fined for giving an interview to MUTV so egregious it was never allowed to be shown? One where he threw specific players under the bus without saying a word against himself? The 4-1 at Boro was as bad as the performance yesterday, yet Keane is revered for his lack of professionalism (which ultimately hurt the club) while Pogba gets slated for taking responsibilty.

Christ, some of you are insufferable.
Whaaat!
The man, a true legend, 326 apps for the club (most of them as our captain). 12 yrs service and undoubtedly the best leader we've ever had. Inspiration for our younger players Scholes, Neville, Beckham, Butt, Giggs.
Quote from SAF:
" It was the most emphatic display of selflessness I have ever seen on football field. Pounding every blade of grass, competing as if he would rather die of exhaustion than lose, he inspired all around him. I felt it was an honour to be associated with such a player"
After the semi-final CL, Juventus away, where he won us the game almost single-handed.

And you, my friend, single out one incident, off the field towards the end of his career and use it to tarnish the career of one of the greatest players ever to wear the shirt.
You can say what the feck you like isufferable or whatever, but your attack on our captain is way out of order!

Last edited:

Ashley R1+O

So........... Dropped then?

Oh of course not, becuse the media shit wagon would fire up again "RIFFTTT RIFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTT". Absolutely inexcusable behavior and he needs a right old clip around the earhole and three weeks on the pine. But of course Jose can't do that.

sugar_kane

Both of his last interviews sound as though he's saying whatever his agent has briefed him to say in order to engineer an exit from the club.

Raiola is shameless, he'll get Pogba to do / say anything to get his own way, and Pogba is naive enough to trust him.

I can't see a happy ending to this situation for United.

Mourinho has been very careful in how he's responded to questions about a rift, saying there were no angry words etc, that Paul is polite/educated, without actually denying that he's said he wants out.

99withaflake

So........... Dropped then?

Oh of course not, becuse the media shit wagon would fire up again "RIFFTTT RIFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTT". Absolutely inexcusable behavior and he needs a right old clip around the earhole and three weeks on the pine. But of course Jose can't do that.
I've seen "Man Utd" fans across social media with Paul Pogba as their profile picture....but he's wearing a Juventus shirt! There's lots of people like this. Quite similar to Ronaldo FC. They'll just follow whichever team he plays for and back whatever he says. Many supporters these days support the player over the manager and even the club.

Craig Ward

For a Manchester united captain to admit his own and his team mates attitude is not right is inexcusable.

Of course, the media and us fans will micro analyse everything surrounding the club currently as we are in a bit of a bad spot.

If Jose drops Pogba, the shit storm will kick off big time.

Pogba wasn't the worst player on the pitch for us, but it doesn't excuse his performance or his admittance his attitude isn't right.

I would never have put Pogba as captain, his ego is big enough and despite 1 conveniently leaked video of him rallying the troops for france he has done nothing to warrant it. He doesn't lead the team 1 iota. Not many of our current lot do mind, but putting Pogba as captain was done for the wrong reasons.

Shameful performance.

We are a team not putting a shift in for the shirt, not putting any determination into performances for the manager and playing without any clue as to what the tactics/style of play is. The players do not seem to WANT to win for us. Big worry

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
It wouldn't be a problem except that you can apply this statement to his entire time at the club.

Yesterday twice he lost the ball trying to show off in his own half while we were two goals down. This from any other player would be shocking but from Pogba it is just what you have come to expect.

It isn't something you can lay at the feet of team mates or the manager. It is just a bizarre absent mindedness he has to the situation and the game that's going on around him.

The odd games out are the ones where he does focus properly. I like him but until he starts playing to win games and with respect for the team he's playing for, we're just going to carry on getting Steven Gerrard overdosed on morphine
Ouch!:mad:

Although, I guess if Pogba had 1/10th the attitude, drive, and leadership of Gerrard, this thread wouldn't have existed :D

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Pogba should be really disappointed in himself, the team is built around him, has a great game against Leicester, had a torrid game against Brighton due to their press so he gave up, he should have been more vocal with his teammates, you are made a captain for a reason, let's see how he and the team react vs Spurs, it seems that Pogba raises his game whenever he wants to (as we saw last year when we beat the top 6 with him playing superb, then losing against relegation-fodders because he didn't seem interested)

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I mean we just lost a game. Should he not have been depressed?
It was utter hopelessness and completely devoid of emotion. I have never seen that from Pogba.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
Let’s hope Pogba leads his agent and shuts him up ! If Pogba is such a leader he'd intervene over Raiola's comments and not settle for branding his 'feelings' with a hashtag.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We basically have to play him because otherwise half the caf and the media will whine. And then when we play him we have a 50:50 chance of a good performance like we've had for 2 seasons.

And then some saps will come out and use their "he had a good World Cup card" before we rinse and repeat for the next game.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If in the post match interview Pogba said that they outplayed them but, were unlucky people would hate for him to say that too.

Norris

Did anyone actually watch his post match interview with MUTV? That was the most depressed Pogba I have ever seen. I got even sadder after watching that 2 minute interview.
I certainly did and the only real question for me was what he meant by attitude. As a poster pointed out earlier in the thread, did it mean, he had a more "casual approach" into the game thinking it would be a cakewalk or that he was not really arsed while the game was going on. Honestly, I think maybe it was a bit of the former, since despite his poor performance, he was still trying to create opportunities. Either it did not come off, or there were really not many options for him and he had to take a lot more risks.

Zoo

Pogba should be really disappointed in himself, the team is built around him, has a great game against Leicester, had a torrid game against Brighton due to their press so he gave up, he should have been more vocal with his teammates, you are made a captain for a reason, let's see how he and the team react vs Spurs, it seems that Pogba raises his game whenever he wants to (as we saw last year when we beat the top 6 with him playing superb, then losing against relegation-fodders because he didn't seem interested)
He was one of the few who didn't give up, it was the other way round he was trying too hard and showed immaturity in his game. But it's also understandable because we're a mess: poorly coached with little structure and don't work hard enough.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There's no problem in owning up, but it doesn't mean he gets to go off scot free for his abysmal performance. He will be criticized for his performance, regardless of whether he owns up to it or not.
What’s that got to do with anything?

?!?!

He hasn't written anything! It was an interview on live television. You can't be serious. :lol:
My apologies, I don't do social media and I thought he'd repeated his post-match remarks on Twitter. However, I saw the interview, and it struck me as blatant attention seeking. His abysmal performance was due to his 'attitude being wrong', he says. He wants everyone asking why a £250,000 per week footballer should be saying 'woe is me; I'm so unhappy'. There was nothing ambiguous in his remarks; his English is excellent; his ego is huge, as Scholes has said. If he wants to stay at United, he needs to drop the self-pity and start producing. If he wants away, do it properly and ask for a transfer. Either way, playing like a child in a strop against Brighton isn't on, and the support has a right to be angry. He wasn't the only one who was dog shit on Sunday, but he and Martial both looked like they didn't want to be there.

Norris

What’s that got to do with anything?
It's got everything to do with the opinions on this thread. No matter what he does in that situation, he's not going to get criticized either way. How is that so hard to understand ?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Both of his last interviews sound as though he's saying whatever his agent has briefed him to say in order to engineer an exit from the club.

Raiola is shameless, he'll get Pogba to do / say anything to get his own way, and Pogba is naive enough to trust him.

I can't see a happy ending to this situation for United.

Mourinho has been very careful in how he's responded to questions about a rift, saying there were no angry words etc, that Paul is polite/educated, without actually denying that he's said he wants out.
Pogba isn't naive at all. He's been a pro for close to a decade, he knows what he is doing much better than what you think. If he lets Raiola do certain things, I can assure you it's with his agreement. Pogba isn't a kid coming from a poor country and whose destiny completely depends on what his agent will do for him (lots of sharks and crooks in the professional who basically take hostages kids because they have no choice). Pogba is a superstar and a very clever man.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pogba isn't naive at all. He's been a pro for close to a decade, he knows what he is doing much better than what you think. If he lets Raiola do certain things, I can assure you it's with his agreement. Pogba isn't a kid coming from a poor country and whose destiny completely depends on what his agent will do for him (lots of sharks and crooks in the professional who basically take hostages kids because they have no choice). Pogba is a superstar and a very clever man.
Exactly.

People think that Raiola has hypnotised Pogba or something. :lol:

Look Pogba wants to leave. People act like, cos he was in our academy, he loves the club. We stole him from Le Harve and he left for Juventus a few years later. He's not Rashford or Lingard. He didn't grow up in the North West adoring Manchester United. Expecting him to act like the local lads is mad.

Barcelona have indicated they want Pogba. Pogba's probably thinking 'Ronaldo's gone, Barca finished 17 points ahead last season, if I go there I get sunshine and trophies. Why stay at United?'

People are looking at this as United fans, they need to get away from it and look at it like Pogba, as an employee: He's got a good job but he's seen a better job opportunity and he wants it. Its that simple.

All these controversies that he and Raiola are cooking up are just attempts to get the move Pogba wants.

I fully agree with you. Pogba's remarks were, IMHO, calculated to provoke a specific debate about his current discontent, which is why many of us are annoyed. He made it about himself, rather than an unacceptable performance/defeat at Brighton AGAIN. We need to see so much more from him from now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's got everything to do with the opinions on this thread. No matter what he does in that situation, he's not going to get criticized either way. How is that so hard to understand ?
Still doesn’t make sense, especially in light of the post you responded to. I was saying he’s taken criticism on, as opposed to claiming others. You have then said it ‘doesn’t excuse his performance and he should be criticised if he doesn’t play well’. Doesn’t appear there was a suggestion he shouldn’t be.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Exactly.

Look Pogba wants to leave. People act like, cos he was in our academy, he loves the club. We stole him from Le Harve and he left for Juventus a few years later. He's not Rashford or Lingard. He didn't grow up in the North West adoring Manchester United. Expecting him to act like the local lads is mad.

Barcelona have indicated they want Pogba. Pogba's probably thinking 'Ronaldo's gone, Barca finished 17 points ahead last season, if I go there I get sunshine and trophies. Why stay at United?'

People are looking at this as United fans, they need to get away from it and look at it like Pogba, as an employee: He's got a good job but he's seen a better job opportunity and he wants it. Its that simple.

All these controversies that he and Raiola are cooking up are just attempts to get the move Pogba wants.
This is exactly the kinda shit Verratti tried to pull with PSG when Barca were interested in him 2 years ago but in the end they stood their ground and even forced him to do a public apology/fire his agent. Pogba isn't a baby, the way some are talking about this it's like Raiola is Satan on Earth. He's just an agent, working for his client.
I fully agree with you. Pogba's remarks were, IMHO, calculated to provoke a specific debate about his current discontent, which is why many of us are annoyed. He made it about himself, rather than an unacceptable performance/defeat at Brighton AGAIN. We need to see so much more from him from now.
Spot on. Cannot for this windows to close so we'll have a clarity at least. Isn't it fecking stupid that the PL alone adopted this early closing date for the transfer window :wenger: ?

Offsideagain

Personally, I would take no criticism of Keane or Scholes, two outstanding players for an outstanding club. Scholes could have played in any team anywhere in the World for more money and ditto Roy Keane. Both were no angels, but I can’t recall a game where both didn’t give 100%.

I’m not convince Pogba has given his all in every match but, he does seem to be trying way too hard now as if he’s trying to make a point. Trying to win the game single handed and trying moves that won’t work with the players we have.

stu_1992

The player's attitude being wrong was plain as day, and it's been a recurring problem for years. But still for a player to just come out and say was still very shocking to me, and to be honest it made me quite angry. Why is your attitude wrong? What are you doing to fix it? How is the team attitude being addressed? The big players like Pogba set the tone for everyone else, but you also have to lay blame at the door of the manager too for not stomping this out.

Norris

Still doesn’t make sense, especially in light of the post you responded to. I was saying he’s taken criticism on, as opposed to claiming others. You have then said it ‘doesn’t excuse his performance and he should be criticised if he doesn’t play well’. Doesn’t appear there was a suggestion he shouldn’t be.
You mentioned that some people on here were behaving like real drama queens. The first sentence of your initial post. My response was with direct respect to that. You will always find people on either spectrum of being angry with what Pogba said or would not have said etc. It's an absolutely normal emotion to lay out for a spectator.

Anyways, think it's too much of a diversion from the thread.

Zlatattack

As annoying as it is that we lost and he played shite, he put his hands up and admitted it. I don't see anything wrong with that, the performance was wrong, not the admission of guilt.

He should now focus on making amends next week.

shaky

The player's attitude being wrong was plain as day, and it's been a recurring problem for years. But still for a player to just come out and say was still very shocking to me, and to be honest it made me quite angry. Why is your attitude wrong? What are you doing to fix it? How is the team attitude being addressed? The big players like Pogba set the tone for everyone else, but you also have to lay blame at the door of the manager too for not stomping this out.
I was a bit taken aback by the admission and disappointed that the guy asking the questions didn't pursue the statement further. Is he going to go into the Spurs game with the wrong attitude as well? Does he think he even deserves to be playing ahead of guys like Herrera who have the right attitude?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You mentioned that some people on here were behaving like real drama queens. The first sentence of your initial post. My response was with direct respect to that. You will always find people on either spectrum of being angry with what Pogba said or would not have said etc. It's an absolutely normal emotion to lay out for a spectator.

Anyways, think it's too much of a diversion from the thread.
I get you now. Apologies.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Reuters: Prima Donnas* SLAM United fans

Opera's first lady Maria Twix has hit out at Manchester United supporters for comparing their lacklustre idols to prominent stage singers. "I work my arse to the bone every day to perfect my craft," Ms Twix said, "and these twats reckon Paul Hashtag is just like me! 'F*ck's sake... "
  • Prima donna assoluta Ethel Sprats also chipped in, chippily: "They can't even get the bloody name right, posting that it's 'Pre Madonna' or 'Primer Donut'.
*" It's Prima Donne, you moron! "

JB7

Purely playing Devils Advocate here, but obviously Pogbas comments after the match have put all the post-match discussion onto him rather than the terrible team performance. It could be argued that it is true leadership to ensure the majority of blame/publicity is put onto himself and thus shielding his team from the same level of scrutiny going into a big match next weekend.

ForestRGoinUp

Exactly.

Hasn’t been stated any better than this so far.

Pyro19

As annoying as it is that we lost and he played shite, he put his hands up and admitted it. I don't see anything wrong with that, the performance was wrong, not the admission of guilt.

He should now focus on making amends next week.
Exactly. You can blame the performance but blaming a player for accepting his shortcomings and owning up to the fact that his attitude wasn't right in context to the game.

Would the fanbase be happy if he acted super pissed and blamed his center backs for making stupid and basic mistakes and Mourinho for having coached all the attacking out of this team?

This incident has shown me that majority of our "fans" are just that. They're fairweather fans and not supporters. They'll get pissed at a defeat and then attack everyone and everything while ignoring the context and intention.

Time to stay away from redcafe until the next match. Disgusted by some of the comments in here.

DickDastardly

Well, if this continues for a couple of weeks, we should definitly pass him on to who ever the feck wants to deal with the boy.

I started loving this club cos of Cantona, his cockiness and charisma, but it was all natural, yeah, he did have the raised collar shit, and there was no twitter or instagram, but still, you could see it was him.
No acting, no bullshit.

Pogba is trying too hard, he is trying to emulate that cockiness and hardness he saw from Zlatan, but it's just not working for him.

Nobody fears him on the pitch, he's always flapping his arms around when he doesn't get the foul he was crying for, basicly acting like a kid who thinks his god given talent should always work.

He's won it all with Juve, with no actual challenge, and now he's a world cup winner as well, with out actually carrying the team or anything like that, so you could understand his arrogance, but, it's just not working for him with us.

If he pulls his head out, gets rid of the cancer agent and pulls his weight, it might work.
Not holding my breath though..

clarkydaz

At what point during the game did he analyse the situation and conclude his attitude wasnt right? As we were losing for quite a long time

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I like Paul but his recent remarks suggest one of two things:

1. He's doing everything to avoid publicly saying "I want to leave."

...or 2. He's doing everything to avoid publicly saying "I want the manager to leave."

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I like Paul but his recent remarks suggest one of two things:

1. He's doing everything to avoid publicly saying "I want to leave."

...or 2. He's doing everything to avoid publicly saying "I want the manager to leave."
If Mourinho left tomorrow it would make no difference. Do you think Pogba fancies sticking around to try and catch Man City when he's been, allegedly, told Iniesta's shirt number has been reserved for him?

Mourinho leaving has become a catch all for every problem at the club. If Mourinho leaves Pogba will be happy, if Mourinho leaves we'll play like we did when we won the Treble etc. What's next? If Mourinho leaves we'll get a fabulous Brexit deal? If Mourinho leaves the deficit will dissapear and the national debt will go down too?

Mourinho's being blamed for a lot of things that have nothing to do with him. If Mourinho leaves we start a cycle again, new manager trying to catch up with Man City. Pogba's coming into his prime years. Does he really want to spend his prime years, potentially, not winning and looking up at what City's doing? His behaviour suggests otherwise.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
We basically have to play him because otherwise half the caf and the media will whine. And then when we play him we have a 50:50 chance of a good performance like we've had for 2 seasons.

And then some saps will come out and use their "he had a good World Cup card" before we rinse and repeat for the next game.
Had a good world cup with Kante one of the hardest workers around him and a squad generally so good that they could beat most teams without getting out of 2nd gear.

The world cup didn't show much more to Pogba than we already knew. He has plenty of quality, but a very selective attitude.

I actually took his acknowledgement of bad attitude against Brighton as a good thing. I'm hoping with the world cup fresh in his mind he has been reminded what it takes to win and how not doing that or not having the team doing it means he is realising what is required for all games.

A Pogba with consistency could drive the whole mood and success of United. We showed last year with all the 4-0 games what we have in potential.

Backrow Singer

If Mourinho left tomorrow it would make no difference. Do you think Pogba fancies sticking around to try and catch Man City when he's been, allegedly, told Iniesta's shirt number has been reserved for him?

Mourinho leaving has become a catch all for every problem at the club. If Mourinho leaves Pogba will be happy, if Mourinho leaves we'll play like we did when we won the Treble etc. What's next? If Mourinho leaves we'll get a fabulous Brexit deal? If Mourinho leaves the deficit will dissapear and the national debt will go down too?

Mourinho's being blamed for a lot of things that have nothing to do with him. If Mourinho leaves we start a cycle again, new manager trying to catch up with Man City. Pogba's coming into his prime years. Does he really want to spend his prime years, potentially, not winning and looking up at what City's doing? His behaviour suggests otherwise.
100% mate. I guess that's football though, people like to make assumptions that suit their own agendas.

I don't know what we should do with him but in all honesty, I'm past caring really. On his day, he's a good player but those days are so, so rare. He could be Man of the Match against Spurs on Monday and everyone will be "as if people were criticising him" but he needs the game to go in a certain way for that to happen. He's so unadaptable. People talk about the lack of movement but a lot of the passes he gave away against Brighton were simple, simple passes. He lost the ball multiple times in dangerous areas. That has nothing to do with anyone, or anything else other than Paul Pogba, nothing.

What's the answer? Keep picking him and hope the game suits him? Don't pick him and risk it all? If we don't pick him and we're still struggling, he'll throw a paddy if we call on him again. He'll have one good game in seven and its "I told you so" and then he's quite again for weeks. Unfortunately, the situation is a laughing stock and is everything I dislike about modern football.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I wouldn't worry too much, this could be the shock that this team needed. It's certainly not the first time this has happened. Under SAF I remember you lot losing 4-1 to Middlesbrough and Keane going nuts afterwards blaming Ferdinand, saying the attitude wasn't right and everyone thought they were a superstar, you went on to win a whole load of games of the back of it including beating Chelsea.

For what it's worth, I thought Pogba's reaction was good, he didn't try and blame anyone else and he admitted it was an appalling performance. Seems a mature response to me and given his words after Leicester he could have gone off the deep end, but he didn't.

Mou was the same made it all about collective blame, again could have gone off the deep end but didn't.

Losing is never good news, but this could be what is needed and with Sanchez coming back in and possibly Herrera, things can turn around very quickly.

From my point of view, you wont suffer long term from losing 3 points here, but for us a Brighton, these could be the biggest 3 points of the season!
My thought exactly, good post.