Paul Pogba: My attitude wasn't right

Kita

He looked completely uninspired and was walking in the midfield. Couple that with lazy passes and frustration fouls. Very poor performance from him. You can say it about a lot of players today, but hes the captain and led a team to the World Cup.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He just looked like someone that has had sleepless nights for the past week. This is why you don’t get involved with the media circus. It is unbelievably distracting

RedDevil@84

What does he mean by "My attitude was not right"

The team needs a psychologist probably.

ForeverUnited93

Wtf is this shit from Pogba? Captain of the team, and his attitude wasn’t right? The preparation wasn’t right, why? WHY??

This club is fecked at the moment, 2 games in and out attitude ISNT RIGHT?????

I hope they all enjoy watching City and Liverpool dominate the PL this season.

SoCross

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he means his "approach" rather than "interest". He went into the game with the idea it would be a lot easier than it was and that he'd be spending the day on the front foot creating. He was completely wrong and their physicality and commitment caught him off guard and he never got a chance to grow into the game.
I think it’s pretty much this and this is getting all overblown.

forevrared

Wtf is this shit from Pogba? Captain of the team, and his attitude wasn’t right? The preparation wasn’t right, why? WHY??

This club is fecked at the moment, 2 games in and out attitude ISNT RIGHT?????

I hope they all enjoy watching City and Liverpool dominate the PL this season.
The quote is out of context, which makes all the hysteria in this thread more laughable. If you actually watch the interview, there's nothing to suggest he's given this laissze-faire interview saying he personally was responsible. I thought he came off as very genuine.

"The attitude we had was not like we wanted to beat them, they had more hunger than us. ... I put myself first, my attitude wasn't right enough. ... It's going to be a big lesson for us."

He says the team did not show the hunger to win. He's absolutely right. They were all bad. He doesn't let himself off the hook, because he's captain and he's the one speaking to the press. Would you rather he have taken a page out of Mourinho's book and thrown the rest of them under the bus and not taken responsibility? He'd have been slated even harder. The question then, given the general response in this thread, is whether you think it's the manager or the fill-in captain's job to prepare the team. Obviously most here think it's the latter.

Berba's_Flick

Fergie was right about him. Couldn't be trusted to put in a shift then and still can't be. The shit he gets away with is appalling. You're the freaking captain of Manchester United!!! You're attitude wasn't right?? Gtfo here. It's times like these I miss Roy Keane and Gary Neville. Well that's all history now. Must get used to this mediocrity of a team

99withaflake

He says the team did not show the hunger to win. He's absolutely right.
Which is exactly why the team should be getting slated. There is no excuse for lack of hunger, desire and effort. Lose when giving 100% and the fans will forgive. Lose when not giving 100% (which is what happened for most of that second half) and there is a big problem which the fans are right to call out.

forevrared

Which is exactly why the team should be getting slated. There is no excuse for lack of hunger, desire and effort. Lose when giving 100% and the fans will forgive. Lose when not giving 100% (which is what happened for most of that second half) and there is a big problem which the fans are right to call out.
I don’t disagree with any of that. I disagree with the majority who are attacking his character in particular because they misinterpreted an out of context quote.

If the entire team is unprepared, there’s only one person who should shoulder the blame. Most attacking Pogba are apologists for that person.

Rake

Where is the full interview? It is stupid to take 1 line and discuss it like it is the only thing he said

Patrick08

We can all blame him, but it's worth to be noted that we are a one or two man team heavily dependent on Pogba and Matic to win and provide security to back 4.

United should not flop when Pogba flops.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I wouldn't worry too much, this could be the shock that this team needed. It's certainly not the first time this has happened. Under SAF I remember you lot losing 4-1 to Middlesbrough and Keane going nuts afterwards blaming Ferdinand, saying the attitude wasn't right and everyone thought they were a superstar, you went on to win a whole load of games of the back of it including beating Chelsea.

For what it's worth, I thought Pogba's reaction was good, he didn't try and blame anyone else and he admitted it was an appalling performance. Seems a mature response to me and given his words after Leicester he could have gone off the deep end, but he didn't.

Mou was the same made it all about collective blame, again could have gone off the deep end but didn't.

Losing is never good news, but this could be what is needed and with Sanchez coming back in and possibly Herrera, things can turn around very quickly.

From my point of view, you wont suffer long term from losing 3 points here, but for us a Brighton, these could be the biggest 3 points of the season!

Reactions: SteveJ

RedDevil5

I wouldn't worry too much, this could be the shock that this team needed. It's certainly not the first time this has happened. Under SAF I remember you lot losing 4-1 to Middlesbrough and Keane going nuts afterwards blaming Ferdinand, saying the attitude wasn't right and everyone thought they were a superstar, you went on to win a whole load of games of the back of it including beating Chelsea.

For what it's worth, I thought Pogba's reaction was good, he didn't try and blame anyone else and he admitted it was an appalling performance. Seems a mature response to me and given his words after Leicester he could have gone off the deep end, but he didn't.

Mou was the same made it all about collective blame, again could have gone off the deep end but didn't.

Losing is never good news, but this could be what is needed and with Sanchez coming back in and possibly Herrera, things can turn around very quickly.

From my point of view, you wont suffer long term from losing 3 points here, but for us a Brighton, these could be the biggest 3 points of the season!
The problem is we had games like this last year and the year before it and nothing really changed. If this was a one off, sure. But we've all seen this movie before.

Pyro19

Mature response. Accepting responsibility for his mistakes and shit attitude. Blames nobody but himself.

What are we blaming him for again?

SoCross

That's absolutely it. You can tell based on the way he explains his comments when pressed for a follow-up. English is his second language, ffs.
Yeah mate. But what’s the fun in that right.

However the way we attacked was appalling. There was no plan, just hopeful punts up the field to Lukaku and Fellaini waiting for their knockdowns. So much space between our players, no one open for a pass ultimately resulting in us losing the ball.

The_Order

He talked about the Brighton players having more hunger - started to say that the players came out with the wrong attitude then changed it to say he had the wrong attitude and absorbed all the blame.

Didn’t feel like he was blaming José at all or suggesting anything bad between them.
Think a lot of people are seeing things that isn't there on this quote. He was on the pitch, José wasn't, he's taking responsibility as captain. That's commitment not everything he says is a cry to go to Barca.

99withaflake

So we're blaming the entire team and our dinosaur of a manager too right?

Got it.
Lots of people are blaming the manager, lots of people are blaming the entire team, lots of people are unhappy with Pogba, lots of people are unhappy with pretty much everyone involved.

Glad it makes sense.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Good of him to admit it. Not sure it means a lot to the travelling supporters (never mind the rest of us).

Pretty worrying that the 'attitude' isn't right only two games into the season.
Isn't this what they were saying after the Huddersfield game last season? There is something badly wrong at our club.

RoyH1

For fecks sakes, never ever buy the snippets from the press. They are always taken out of context and presented in a way to give maximum impact for the holier than thou indignation merchants.

Emrethis

Isn't this what they were saying after the Huddersfield game last season? There is something badly wrong at our club.
Since Fergie retired, we sold off all our players who held the club in their hearts and replaced them with players who joined us for no other reason than money and prestige. Then, overcome with the fear of being overtaken by Man City and ending up like Liverpool, we sacrificed everything to hire a manager who would win us the league. We didn't win the league.

Now, having ourselves given up everything that money can't buy, our stacks of cash can't and won't solve the problem.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Since Fergie retired, we sold off all our players who held the club in their hearts and replaced them with players who joined us for no other reason than money and prestige. Then, overcome with the fear of being overtaken by Man City and ending up like Liverpool, we sacrificed everything to hire a manager who would win us the league. We didn't win the league.

Now, having ourselves given up everything that money can't buy, our stacks of cash can't and won't solve the problem.
I have to agree. I have said elsewhere that we are signing players who look great on the adverts etc, not if they go on the pitch and battle hard for the cause. The club needs looking at from top to bottom. A DOF would be a start. Someone who will decide the style of play and buy accordingly.

Emrethis

I have to agree. I have said elsewhere that we are signing players who look great on the adverts etc, not if they go on the pitch and battle hard for the cause. The club needs looking at from top to bottom. A DOF would be a start. Someone who will decide the style of play and buy accordingly.
Indeed. Anyway, we'd best leave it at that, any more would probably derail the thread :lol:.

kps88

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he means his "approach" rather than "interest". He went into the game with the idea it would be a lot easier than it was and that he'd be spending the day on the front foot creating. He was completely wrong and their physicality and commitment caught him off guard and he never got a chance to grow into the game.
But that's still a pretty bad mentality to have and shows we haven't learnt anything from last season. Our attitude going into these sort of games always seems to be off.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
It could (and probably) will be used that way.

Quite a smart thing to say if Pogba does have an issue with Mourinho. Initially people ask 'why aren't the players mentally prepared?' from an individual perspective. Then after people ask 'wait, why isn't the manager preparing them right?'
Or you could ask why SAF didn't let Pogba rule the roost. He didn't see the discipline, the mental focus.

Pogba just wants to be flashy big bollocks and he isn't doing anywhere near enough.

Rory 7

Yep. Pretty much the same lines last year. This time we have Pogba admitting his attitude to the game was wrong. There is something very wrong with this club. Has been since Fergie left. Seems to me the disciplinarian that was Fergie has never been replaced, because manager after manager is on very thin ice with our board. Players lose focus as a result. We’ve basically gone back to the pre-Fergie days.

DownRiver

Anyone heard about the rumours about him and his supposed GF on twitter? I don't want to say more, as it may be wrong and defamation.

Rory 7

For fecks sakes, never ever buy the snippets from the press. They are always taken out of context and presented in a way to give maximum impact for the holier than thou indignation merchants.
The interview was broadcast live on Sky. It’s worth watching. If only just for you to realise how pathetic it is to here our record signing admit his attitude going into a game was wrong.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
It puzzles me that there were United-fans who thought Everything was fine after Mourinhos comments about Pogba. Everything is not right - and it probably never will be. So its a question about who you want to stay ?
You're probably right that everything isn't right but for the clubs sake the pair of them need to resolve the problem.

It's one bad result and it could change against Spurs.

If somebody has to leave it will be Jose.

Marcky411

That statement of Pogba speaks volumes, one short sentence which inadvertently points to the failings of the manager. It is the manager's job to see that the players are up for the task in hand and to see the players are pumped up for the game before it starts. If you look at all our games it takes us 20 minutes just to try and settle in and then contemplate how we should approach the match. Yesterday was an excellent e.g. that nobody had a clue what they had to do, there was no game plan no structure everybody was all over the place and Brighton took the game to them. Who knows maybe they were expecting Brighton to sit back and were caught off guard with them coming out guns a blazing. If that was the case then the preparation for the game was completely wrong and Utd totally underestimated their opponent and that cost them dearly.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I am starting to actually hate our squad. The whiney, soft, pathetic, woe to me crap that comes out of the club these days is like something from a low rent reality TV show.

I can't get my head around this being the same club that Big Pete, Brucie, Pally, Keano, Robbo, Choccy, Sparky, Eric etc used to play for. If this lot got the Galatasary welcome to Hell they'd probably go weak at the knees.

Smores

It's up to the players not the manager to ensure they bring a proffesional attitude to work. The manager is only responsible for elevating them beyond that.

I'm glad we're going down the route of giving Pogba the captaincy as it might make him take some responsibility and leadership on the pitch. We're sorely missing some leadership out there.

Eddy_JukeZ

I am starting to actually hate our squad. The whiney, soft, pathetic, woe to me crap that comes out of the club these days is like something from a low rent reality TV show.

I can't get my head around this being the same club that Big Pete, Brucie, Pally, Keano, Robbo, Choccy, Sparky, Eric etc used to play for. If this lot got the Galatasary welcome to Hell they'd probably go weak at the knees.
Hate is harsh, but it does feel disconnected from our past teams.

This club hasn't been the same since SAF retired.

I wish I relished those years more, because I(and probably others) really took them for granted :(

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Hate is harsh, but it does feel disconnected from our past teams.

This club hasn't been the same since SAF retired.

I wish I relished those years more, because I(and probably others) really took them for granted :(
For me hate is not harsh at all. Why should I support players who obviously don't give a damn about us?

There are a little over half a dozen lads in that dressing room that I think actually care for United. The rest are just expensive mercenaries. They haven't bought into the club like your Evras and Vidic's. People who came into the club but took it on wholesale. They care more about what their agents think than what we think and most would absolutely leave for City if it meant more cash and an easier life.

I remember Fergie saying one of the things he always measured about buying players was their character, and that even if a player was really talented he wouldn't buy them if they lacked the right character.

We've filled our club with players that lack the heart to play for it.