Paul Scholes | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
absolute legend.... We ll never have anyone like him, both on and off the pitch.
I hope the likes of pogba, morrison and the rest look up to someone like scholes as their model instead of listening to some money-grabbing cnut.
I think one of scholes secret, apart from his class, is that he was always focused on what goes ON the pitch and was not distracted by money issues.
Morrison has left in January mate.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Fletch isn't playing. I very much doubt he will next year either from what I've heard about what he's got. I'd love to be wrong and see him back though.
he hopes to be back in light training this season, with the aim to build him up during pre-season. (according to Fergie)

Devilton

Amazing. The defense too have to take plaudits for this run but imo Scholesy has been the definitive reason and/or difference in the title race.
The only definitive thing the return of Scholes proves is what most united fans have known for years...our midfield is crying out for some genuine quality.

Nucks

RT History Department
Scholes is amazing.

I'd love to see him play another season or two. I think what Scholes and Giggs need to keep trucking is basically the entire offseason off. Don't bring them into the training camps. They are consummate professionals they will take care of their fitness levels, just let them relax somewhere until its go time :)

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Could he overtake Sir Bobby's appearance record?

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I can't see Scholes retiring again in a hurry at the end of the season. let's face it, in the time he's been back he's probably been our best player. However old you are, why retire if you're still the best player at Man United?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Amazing. The defense too have to take plaudits for this run but imo Scholesy has been the definitive reason and/or difference in the title race.
And the 2 points we dropped was in the amazing comeback from 0-3 down against Chelsea to 3-3. It was 1-3 when Scholes came off the bench.

No dropped points in the games he started.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We've basically kept the ball for fun with him in the team. There is a case for us passing the ball aimlessly at times a bit too much but whatever were doing is working and Scholes has imo been the catalyst this season for our drive past City.

Plechazunga

We've basically kept the ball for fun with him in the team. There is a case for us passing the ball aimlessly at times a bit too much but whatever were doing is working and Scholes has imo been the catalyst this season for our drive past City.
I think the aimless thing will change when Nani gets back. We've become so reliant on Antonio, we're just keeping the ball and waiting trying to create a bit of space on the right before passing it to him.

I like Young but until he gets to the box he's not that explosive, he usually works it back to the middle. Once Nani is back, the true value of being able to pass it round the opposition will be visible.

Smores

I think he'll retire again at the end of the season unfortunately. I reckon he retired last season thinking we were going to sign a quality midfielder and he didn't want to play a bit part. It'll be the exact same situation again this summer.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
This is making the thought of losing him again all the more painful. He won't be coming out of retirement the next time we're unable to come close to replacing him.

At the same time, if he stays another season, I hope we don't return to the last couple where he was being phased out and not producing his best. This is the way I want to say goodbye to him - as an unlikely but genuine contender for player of the year!

Rival fans have predicting our demise since the 90s, but when we lose him and Giggs forever, things will never be the same.

twitter thread suggester
I can't see Scholes retiring again in a hurry at the end of the season. let's face it, in the time he's been back he's probably been our best player. However old you are, why retire if you're still the best player at Man United?
Never mind him being the best player, he's now seen what life without top football is like, and he hated it.

I reckon he'll now play as long as he possibly can physically as long as he avoids big injuries. I could even see him change club a few years down the road when he's no longer good enough to play much. He won't want to go back to that empty void he experienced after his retirement any time soon.

twitter thread suggester
I think he'll retire again at the end of the season unfortunately. I reckon he retired last season thinking we were going to sign a quality midfielder and he didn't want to play a bit part. It'll be the exact same situation again this summer.
Nah, his decision to come back wasn't a favor to Manchester United, he did it because he missed playing at the top level. He didn't realize what he was giving up last season. Now he knows, and I'll be very surprised if he wants to go back to retirement which he hated so much any time soon.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
signing a quality midfielder :confused:

No chance of that, scholes will never retire :lol:

mu77

my 14 yr old said scholesy was gonna score because they were backing off so much.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
The only definitive thing the return of Scholes proves is what most united fans have known for years...our midfield is crying out for some genuine quality.
While we do, yes but it is virtually impossible to replace Scholes. Whoever we get will be inferior. Unless of course, Xavi and/or Iniesta suddenly decide to switch from Paella's to pies.

Plechazunga

Never mind him being the best player, he's now seen what life without top football is like, and he hated it.

I reckon he'll now play as long as he possibly can physically as long as he avoids big injuries. I could even see him change club a few years down the road when he's no longer good enough to play much. He won't want to go back to that empty void he experienced after his retirement any time soon.
It's quite surprising as Scholes has always seemed such a mature bloke, and the supposedly wise thing to do is know when your time has come and bow out before you decline. But the truth is he's still just so good. Plus I think he might have hidden depths of darkness and passion, only seen in his mental tackles. It'll probably turn out he's been banging Giggsy's wife for twenty years.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
It's quite surprising as Scholes has always seemed such a mature bloke, and the supposedly wise thing to do is know when your time has come and bow out before you decline. But the truth is he's still just so good. Plus I think he might have hidden depths of darkness and passion, only seen in his mental tackles. It'll probably turn out he's been banging Giggsy's wife for twenty years.
:lol:

Ash_G

No scholes return doesn't show a weakness in our midfield, it shows the difference in having a solid partnership in midfield, with two real midfielders. Its the same as the problems we were having in defence when the centre backs kept changing. Again if we had had fletcher, clev and ando fit all season and they hadn't been performing so we needed scholes, that would be a problem, but that wasn't the case, we simple had no midfielders or very few options for large periods of the season and that contributed to our problems. Our defenders haven't suddenly got better, but we've had more players fit since Christmas and we're better for it.

What we can take from this season though and the revelation over the serverity of fletchers illness is that we need another midfielder in his prime as having just carrick is an issue. We have to many injury probe players and to many players only suited to certain games. The talent is fine but there are big fitness issues.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Scholes' return this year has been a beautiful thing, really. To come back in such form, after having not played for 6 months, spurring us on toward the title in the process against the money of City....fairytale stuff. This has been a wonderful season - it'd be fecking tragic if we cocked it up now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Scholes' return this year has been a beautiful thing, really. To come back in such form, after having not played for 6 months, spurring us on toward the title in the process against the money of City....fairytale stuff. This has been a wonderful season - it'd be fecking tragic if we cocked it up now.
Given he's a part of the "we" I don't see that happening at all. The way he's been controlling games, we should coast it :devil:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Some things with Scholes are debatable. It's debatable whether his return just happened to coincide with us improving. It's debatable that his coming back has helped Carrick to play well.

What isn't debatable though is that, whatever way you look at it, he has been playing well for us and has put in some exceptional performances as well.

mswiss

No scholes return doesn't show a weakness in our midfield, it shows the difference in having a solid partnership in midfield, with two real midfielders. Its the same as the problems we were having in defence when the centre backs kept changing. Again if we had had fletcher, clev and ando fit all season and they hadn't been performing so we needed scholes, that would be a problem, but that wasn't the case, we simple had no midfielders or very few options for large periods of the season and that contributed to our problems. Our defenders haven't suddenly got better, but we've had more players fit since Christmas and we're better for it.

What we can take from this season though and the revelation over the serverity of fletchers illness is that we need another midfielder in his prime as having just carrick is an issue. We have to many injury probe players and to many players only suited to certain games. The talent is fine but there are big fitness issues.

I wonder how Gibson would have done if we hadn't sold him. He seems to be playing well for everton.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I wonder how Gibson would have done if we hadn't sold him. He seems to be playing well for everton.
He's doing well for Everton yes, but he's at a club where a lot less will be expected of him and there is less pressure on him. I always thought that Gibson was a half decent player, but his problem was that he was just out of his depth here. Everton is more to his suited level in all honesty.

mjs020294

Scholes's performance and influence on the last 14 games as highlighted why he is the best player of the premier league era IMA

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Given he's a part of the "we" I don't see that happening at all. The way he's been controlling games, we should coast it :devil:
Let's hope so. :D

I still find seeing him play surreal, even now. Personally, I was fecking devastated when he retired. There was that YouTube compilation from a couple of years ago going round when he retired...that one taken from about 5 games of the 09 season... with him keeping play ticking, hitting 60 yard passes with consistent ease, turning out of situations involving 2 or 3 players and slotting it calmly to Carrick...etc.

I couldn't stop watching it. It made feel awful, but I think I may well have been pining in the same fashion as a dog whose owner had gone on holiday! To see him come back, playing at the same level...it really is a beautiful thing like I say. A great story - very befitting of someone of his talent and humility.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
EPL games Scholes has started:
W Bolton 3-0
W Stoke 2-0
W Liverpool 2-1
W Norwich 2-1
W Tottenham 3-1
W WBA 2-0
W Wolves 5-0
W Blackburn 2-0
W QPR 2-0

Started 9, won 9, 27 out of 27 points.
Scored 23. conceded 3.

EPL Sub appearances:

W Arsenal 2-1 [ on 74 @ 1-1]
D Chelsea 3-3 [63 @ 1-3]
W Fulham 1-0 [78 @ 1-0]

Scored 3 conceded 0 with Scholes on the pitch as a sub.
Overall scored 26 conceded 3 with Scholes on the pitch.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
W Bolton 3-0
W Stoke 2-0
W Liverpool 2-1
W Norwich 2-1
W Tottenham 3-1
W WBA 2-0
W Wolves 5-0
W Blackburn 2-0
W QPR 2-0

Scored 23. conceded 3.

EPL Sub appearances:

D Chelsea 3-3 [63 @ 1-3]
W Fulham 1-0 [78 @ 1-0]

unbelievable.

Iron Stove

W Bolton 3-0
W Stoke 2-0
W Liverpool 2-1
W Norwich 2-1
W Tottenham 3-1
W WBA 2-0
W Wolves 5-0
W Blackburn 2-0
W QPR 2-0

Scored 23. conceded 3.

EPL Sub appearances:

D Chelsea 3-3 [63 @ 1-3]
W Fulham 1-0 [78 @ 1-0]

That is just ridiculous.

Really hope he comes back next year. I see no one out there who can replace what he offers.

Gazza

W Bolton 3-0
W Stoke 2-0
W Liverpool 2-1
W Norwich 2-1
W Tottenham 3-1
W WBA 2-0
W Wolves 5-0
W Blackburn 2-0
W QPR 2-0

Scored 23. conceded 3.

EPL Sub appearances:

D Chelsea 3-3 [63 @ 1-3]
W Fulham 1-0 [78 @ 1-0]

fecking hell. Aside from Scholes's contribution to that stat, the whole team has to take loads of credit for such a good defensive record. Magnificent!

Twisted_Woody

Scout
W Bolton 3-0
W Stoke 2-0
W Liverpool 2-1
W Norwich 2-1
W Tottenham 3-1
W WBA 2-0
W Wolves 5-0
W Blackburn 2-0
W QPR 2-0

Scored 23. conceded 3.

EPL Sub appearances:

D Chelsea 3-3 [63 @ 1-3]
W Fulham 1-0 [78 @ 1-0]

:eek: Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.