Paul Scholes the pundit

GueRed

Rubbish pundit. He speaks like a fan...:D

Biased, flip flops, sensationalist. crap soundbites etc

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Somebody who judges the player according to the evidence. And who is willing to re-assess his opinion when the evidence changes.
It's not the number of goals that makes or breaks Martial's suitability to the centreforward role.
So what changed from last season for him to change his opinion? I totally agree that number of goals doesn't make or break and think it's totally fine to re-asseds an opinion based on evidence changing.

But what's the evidence? What made Martial a good "number 9" last season and a con man who tricked us all this year?

Is it perhaps not flippant and fair-weather to change your opinion so drastically, so quickly? If he was posting here, I'm sure a number of posters would drag up what he said before and call him hypocritical.

Bubz27

you can score 20+ goals and not be a great number 9

maybe on the flippant point

personally I use my eyes and Cavani's movement and hold up play is far superior to Martial's in that role

I scoffed when some people like Roy Keane suggested the player we needed was Harry Kane as I am desperate for us to buy wide players particularly on the right

watching Kane develop into a fantastic 9 and a player who is dropping deep creating for his team mates makes you realise how right Keane was about Kane

with Martial and Rashford we are still talking potential to be great forwards - Martial just turned 25 I think as well so hoping we see him become the player he can be soon
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. But I was talking about Scholes and how he seems to change his opinion according to recent form. Went from calling him a proper number 9 to a con man, and all because he's had a poor start to the season?

Basically he's either being over the top now or was being over the top 3 months ago. Either way, that's poor form from a professional.

Dante

Average bang
So what changed from last season for him to change his opinion? I totally agree that number of goals doesn't make or break and think it's totally fine to re-asseds an opinion based on evidence changing.

But what's the evidence? What made Martial a good "number 9" last season and a con man who tricked us all this year?

Is it perhaps not flippant and fair-weather to change your opinion so drastically, so quickly? If he was posting here, I'm sure a number of posters would drag up what he said before and call him hypocritical.
He was holding up play and being a nuisance for the centrebacks at a particular selection of teams. Once we stopped playing those teams and/or the centrebacks at other teams figured him out, he showed that he didn't have the all-round game required to be a centreforward.

It's no different to think Phil Jones could be a rightback because he looked brilliant there for a few games. Or that Lingard was a top class winger after a string of good performances.

Martial showed some of the traits needed to be a centreforward. He showed promise for the role. Then the promise turned out be false.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The ex-players are absolutely terrible when it comes to judging Ole. And the Pogba situation as well - they all feel the need to preface any criticism by stating he's a fantastic lad and great in the dressing room, but his agent is the problem.

When it comes to United, almost none of what they say has any worth. Scholes and Phil are the worst, as they have nothing of any substance to say, at any point. Gary almost has the balls to go after the owners, and he does when it comes to Ed, but Ole is untouchable for him too.

The foreign ex players who aren't employed by the club are possibly the least biased ones, like RVP.

But no one - outside that one ex youth player speaking to Phil de Bruin - calls out the owners. Why this respect? Is it all self-interest?

Dante

Average bang
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. But I was talking about Scholes and how he seems to change his opinion according to recent form. Went from calling him a proper number 9 to a con man, and all because he's had a poor start to the season?

Basically he's either being over the top now or was being over the top 3 months ago. Either way, that's poor form from a professional.
No.

Look at the your own post for the quote:

"He’s turned himself into a No.9 every game I watch, more and more."

Martial was in the process of making himself a #9 and was getting there. He was never the finished article. That's something that can only be determined by time. And time has determined he isn't one.

Bubz27

He was holding up play and being a nuisance for the centrebacks at a particular selection of teams. Once we stopped playing those teams and/or the centrebacks at other teams figured him out, he showed that he didn't have the all-round game required to be a centreforward.

It's no different to think Phil Jones could be a rightback because he looked brilliant there for a few games. Or that Lingard was a top class winger after a string of good performances.

Martial showed some of the traits needed to be a centreforward. He showed promise for the role. Then the promise turned out be false.
So the promise turned out to be false because he's had a bad 10 games this season?

Bubz27

No.

Look at the your own post for the quote:

"He’s turned himself into a No.9 every game I watch, more and more."

Martial was in the process of making himself a #9 and was getting there. He was never the finished article. That's something that can only be determined by time. And time has determined he isn't one.
Like my original point, it's flippant. So if he starts to play like that again is he turning into a proper no 9 again? Or 10 poor games has meant he's definitely not a centre forward anymore?

Dante

Average bang
Like my original point, it's flippant. So if he starts to play like that again is he turning into a proper no 9 again? Or 10 poor games has meant he's definitely not a centre forward anymore?
He's never had the attributes to be a centreforward. If he learned them, then of course he will.

Bubz27

It's the other way around. He believed the promise based on 10 good games last season.
I see what you're saying but that isn't true is it. Martial was consistently good last year, he didn't have a hot spell where he bumped his numbers up. The only poor spell he had was when Rashford was injured. And obviously when Martial was injured. When they played together we looked good and Martial looked good.

Either way, I'm saying Scholes is too quick to jump on him this year, you're saying he believed it too quickly last year. Doesn't bother me which way you think, just that Scholes hasn't been very rational one way or the other.

Dante

Average bang
I see what you're saying but that isn't true is it. Martial was consistently good last year, he didn't have a hot spell where he bumped his numbers up. The only poor spell he had was when Rashford was injured. And obviously when Martial was injured. When they played together we looked good and Martial looked good.

Either way, I'm saying Scholes is too quick to jump on him this year, you're saying he believed it too quickly last year. Doesn't bother me which way you think, just that Scholes hasn't been very rational one way or the other.
He's been perfectly rational. You're the one who can't seem to understand that opinions can evolve based on changes in evidence.

GlasgowCeltic

Him and Rio are more or less the same as pundits, say whatever’s in your head, if it contradicts what you just said, so be it. Also both start every sentence with “like we said before the show” as if they make sure to keep any insightful conversations off camera

Bubz27

He's been perfectly rational. You're the one who can't seem to understand that opinions can evolve based on changes in evidence.
For goodness sake, the entire point is that he changed his opinion too flippantly. One way or the other, he was too hasty.

I've even clearly spelt out, and said that it's a good thing, that people base opinions on evidence. What I questioned was the evidence in the first place. At the moment, it seems like Martial could have 10 good games again and Scholes would say "Yeah, he's becoming a no 9 again now. Ignore what I said before when I said he was conning us."

I didn't really think it was difficult to understand.

EngimaMK

2 players sharing a dressing room for years Yet Rio says the Rooney saga affected/bothered him while Scholes said it didn’t .
It's almost as if some things bother some people but don't bother others in the same way.

cyberman

He might need to take a step back after tonight. Nobody is saying we’re back and will steamroll Liverpool, just enjoy a win and stop trying to be psychic about Sunday.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
He might need to take a step back after tonight. Nobody is saying we’re back and will steamroll Liverpool, just enjoy a win and stop trying to be psychic about Sunday.
I can appreciate what he is saying but he should be enjoying the moment.

He is right, we have to improve… a lot.

cyberman

I can appreciate what he is saying but he should be enjoying the moment.

He is right, we have to improve… a lot.
But Liverpool is Sunday and we’ll worry about that then, that’s a completely different game and, if anything, they now play as high and reckless from the back as Atalanta do.
it’s not all one way and it seems over emotional. Which is weird since we won.

MichaelRed

He knows Ole will keep doing this. Rare job saving results but ultimately we're not good enough to compete against the very best.

IrishMcD

He is spot on. Nice that he is finally critiquing the team as is his role as a pundit.

RC89

He's right. Yes it was a dramatic and exciting second half but we have to remember this was our third group stage game, and it was a must win somehow... And we were having to perform miracles to bear Atalanta B. What he provided was a reality check and it was needed.

Redlyn

It's true that he was a proper downer tonight. But he is right. We cannot keep a clean sheet.

RuudTom83

fecking misery, couldn't even enjoy that! match for 60 seconds before the doom and gloom.