Paying £6m to let Sanchez play elsewhere for a year (the Old Trafford illogical)

Ranchero

So the pattern is clear. More senior players are leaving the club than we are actually bringing in.

How so?

Smalling is on his way on loan, and Darmian appears to be looking for a move.

On top of that we have seen Herrera, Lukaku and Fellaini disappear without being replaced, when we were already woefully short in quality creatively in central midfield.

But the most illogical development is the idea that we pay £6m to let Sanchez to play somewhere else for a year, when with the Martial injury - and he is out of the Southampton game on Saturday - we are woefully short of firepower in forward areas. Yes, you guessed it, there is no replacement for Sanchez.

We only need one injury to throw that front line into a state of flux in terms of proven quality.

[Picture removed]

It is United that actually need loan players in midfield and up front, so what crazy logic decides it is a good idea to let Sanchez go elsewhere...unless you are replacing him.

Any damage caused by his high wages in the dressing room, with Pogba's nose well and truly out of joint, has already been done.

The danger is that Mason Greenwood will be thrown into the deep end to sink or swim, without gradually bringing him into the side. For an extremely talented young player, especially in a side that has lacked confidence and results, this could be damaging to him.

On top of all that our best players, De Gea and Pogba don't want to be here.

De Gea, despite all the PR, has not signed a new contract, and it appears the Frenchman is not looking at any improved terms either, while continuing to court Real Madrid.

For Saturday, and with Lingard's form shot to pieces, I would gamble on Angel Gomes, because we really have to. And it seems obvious that Greenwood will be allowed time to shine now. I hope he has the kind of game that made him man of the match in the last game of the season against Cardiff.

The transfer window has gone, but, please, let's this time actually work on deals NOW, so that we are not scrambling for ideas in the January window. We are allowed to forward plan. But it seems to me that the words 'plan' and 'forward' don't appear to be very prominent in the Ed Woodward dictionary...if at all.

Last edited:

Withnail

But the most illogical development is the idea that we pay £6m to let Sanchez to play somewhere else for a year, when with the Martial injury - and he is out of the Southampton game on Saturday - we are woefully short of firepower in forward areas. Yes, you guessed it, there is no replacement for Sanchez.
In what world does Alexis Sanchez constitute 'firepower'?

fps

It's not illogical, he's shot as a player, hasn't integrated into the squad so is bad for moral, with the additional blow that he's earning more than everyone else essentially to make the odd special guest appearance. He also can't hold his fitness. This is better than the alternative and the damage this player is causing to the focus and drive of the club.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
@Ranchero why do you always put random images in the middle of your posts? I don’t remember anyone ever doing this before.

Snafu17

Why does it feel like I'm reading an article.
Because of this recent dumb RedCafe trend of inserting Daily Mail-esque pictures in the OP.

We know how Sanchez looks like, there's no need for a fecking picture.

Ranchero

It's not illogical, he's shot as a player, hasn't integrated into the squad so is bad for moral, with the additional blow that he's earning more than everyone else essentially to make the odd special guest appearance. He also can't hold his fitness. This is better than the alternative and the damage this player is causing to the focus and drive of the club.
I don't get that he is bad for moral. So, he is not the most sociable of players. There are plenty like that. The money issue remains an issue. Inter are only paying a small portion of his wages. And Pogba still knows that we valued him more highly. The flit to Italy doesn't change that.
@Ranchero why do you always put random images in the middle of your posts? I don’t remember anyone ever doing this before.
Okay I will remove it.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A very good article in the Athletic that made sense to me. If he's sat here at Utd it causes us two problems.

1) He's still a disruptive element.
2) If he's sat on the bench his value will diminish making him even harder to get rid of next year.

I agree with both points. Ok he could go to Inter, get his Mojo back and bang in 15 goals etc. That put's us in a much better position to get him off the books with a permanent sale, at least we would have a bargaining position. Ok we are still contributing to his wage but he wanted out, he is out and we are paying part of his wage, not all.

Absolute best case scenario is we sold him and he's off the books, second best scenario, is what we have landed on I believe.

Ranchero

Because of this recent dumb RedCafe trend of inserting Daily Mail-esque pictures in the OP.

We know how Sanchez looks like, there's no need for a fecking picture.
I don't think it is a trend. It is something I do for aesthetic reasons, to break up the text.

ostentatious

I don't get that he is bad for moral. So, he is not the most sociable of players. There are plenty like that. The money issue remains an issue. Inter are only paying a small portion of his wages. And Pogba still knows that we valued him more highly. The flit to Italy doesn't change that.
Sanchez staying in the team earning the most while not being anywhere near one of the top contributors could negatively impact the morale, and understandably too. I don't think it had anything to do with Sanchez's attitude or professionalism. This could happen even if he was the most sociable of players

Ranchero

A very good article in the Athletic that made sense to me. If he's sat here at Utd it causes us two problems.

1) He's still a disruptive element.
2) If he's sat on the bench his value will diminish making him even harder to get rid of next year.

I agree with both points. Ok he could go to Inter, get his Mojo back and bang in 15 goals etc. That put's us in a much better position to get him off the books with a permanent sale, at least we would have a bargaining position. Ok we are still contributing to his wage but he wanted out, he is out and we are paying part of his wage, not all.

Absolute best case scenario is we sold him and he's off the books, second best scenario, is what we have landed on I believe.
Firstly, I don't understand that he is a disruptive element. He isn't belligerent. He didn't act like Lukaku. The fact he is on big money is an issue for the club's structure not him, and it is an issue that doesn't go away by his departure.

Secondly, with all the games we are playing this season, he won't be on the bench all the time if fit. He is a world class player when on his game, and just perhaps a run of starts while not recovering from injury might have kickstarted his season. Anyone who saw how he played for Chile in the summer was not seeking a player at the top of his game, but he was still very effective.

And all that having been said. If we were going to get rid of Sanchez, and it is clear that that was always going to be the case, where is the replacement. Or, indeed, Lukaku's replacement.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I was worried that it's been 2 weeks since we had dramatic Ranchero thread, now I'm relaxed.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The choice is pay him say £14m not to play for us, or £6m not to play for us. It makes sense.

I don't agree with the Smalling one but if the decision has been made that he'll rarely play this season then saving another £8m also makes sense (£3m plus £5m in wages).

The two deals will boost profits by somewhere between £10m - £20m. Unfortunately that's where we're at as a club.

stepic

you a wannable journalist or something?

rubbish article, so you're on track for a budding football journalism career. given his output the last few seasons, we are saving money by getting rid. it makes perfect sense. the guy is DONE.

Thiagoal

I personally like a photo to break up the text- gives the eyes a rest!

As for the post though I couldn’t disagree more! Sanchez is done in the fast paced Premier League and I’m delighted we’re saving 8 million pounds and aren’t compelled to play a player that will contribute nothing to our team

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
you a wannable journalist or something?

rubbish article, so you're on track for a budding football journalism career. given his output the last few seasons, we are saving money by getting rid. it makes perfect sense. the guy is DONE.
Photos, rubbish article? Can be easily football journalist. James Robson built his career like that.

Is this a competition of how many threads about the exact same thing but with a different title can our moaning members create in a week?

If this one isn't of your taste, try any of the following...

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/not-replacing-lukaku-and-sanchez.450224/#post-24634990

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/how...-wages-of-our-offloaded-players.450204/unread

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/out-fellaini-herrera-lukaku-sanchez-in-daniel-james.450162/unread

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/board-undermines-solskjær-transfer-plans.450212/

Give it a rest you tiresome fecks. I've zero doubts every last one of you was banging on at how shit Fellaini, Sanchez and Smalling are and how we need to "shift the deadwood", but if you don't get a bunch of new fecking toys with it you'll create a thread a day to cry about it.

Do you lot even enjoy football at all?

Lukaku > replaced in squad by Greenwood
Sanchez > replaced in squad by James (has already scored more PL goals in 3 games as Sanchez did last season).
Smalling > replaced in squad by Maguire
Fellaini > wank non-footballer, already replaced last Summer by Fred.

Herrera is literally the only one worth having a little cry about.

Last edited:

NWRed

So the pattern is clear. More senior players are leaving the club than we are actually bringing in.

How so?

Smalling is on his way on loan, and Darmian appears to be looking for a move.
Darmian is not a senior player, Smalling leaving is obvious for both him and us, Ole wants to play out from the back and Smalling is the CB with the poorest ball skills, he wants first team football and won't get it here

On top of that we have seen Herrera and Fellaini disappear without being replaced, when we were already woefully short in quality creatively in central midfield.
and how exactly does losing/getting rid of Herrera and Fellaini reduce our creativity, losing Herrera may reduce our industry in midfield, a seperate issue, but not our creativity, and getting rid of Fellaini reduces nothing but the average height of the squad, and the number of elbows in opposition faces.

We only need one injury to throw that front line into a state of flux in terms of proven quality.
better than paying him £14m or whatever his actual wages actually are to not play here, it's quite ironic you use the phrase 'proven quality' when discussing Sanchez as the one thing he has proven in 18 months is that he isn't PL quality any more.

It is United that actually need loan players in midfield and up front, so what crazy logic decides it is a good idea to let Sanchez go elsewhere...unless you are replacing him.
and what exactly is it that Sanchez provided that we need to replace?

Any damage caused by his high wages in the dressing room, with Pogba's nose well and truly out of joint, has already been done.
how is that an argument for not getting rid of him?

The danger is that Mason Greenwood will be thrown into the deep end to sink or swim, without gradually bringing him into the side. For an extremely talented young player, especially in a side that has lacked confidence and results, this could be damaging to him.
the actual danger is in persevering with players who have proved they aren't up to the job instead of giving our youth a proper chance. If we don't give players like Greenwood, Gomes, Chong and Garner a chance they won't develop into the players they can become and will eventually leave, either to fulfill their potential elsewhere or be lost to the game.

On top of all that our best players, De Gea and Pogba don't want to be here.

De Gea, despite all the PR, has not signed a new contract, and it appears the Frenchman is not looking at any improved terms either, while continuing to court Real Madrid.
The way to convince our best players to stay is to show them that the future is bright, to do that we need to correct the problems created over the last 6 years, this summers business is a good start.

For Saturday, and with Lingard's form shot to pieces, I would gamble on Angel Gomes, because we really have to. And it seems obvious that Greenwood will be allowed time to shine now. I hope he has the kind of game that made him man of the match in the last game of the season against Cardiff.
I couldn't agree more, it's time to give them a chance and, more importantly, give them time to develop.

The transfer window has gone, but, please, let's this time actually work on deals NOW, so that we are not scrambling for ideas in the January window. We are allowed to forward plan. But it seems to me that the words 'plan' and 'forward' don't appear to be very prominent in the Ed Woodward dictionary...if at all.
That is the job of a DoF, hopefully that's what we'll be putting our effort into for the next few months.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Darmian, Herrera, Fellaini, Smalling, Sanchez, Lukaku

6 players out

Maguire, AWB, James,

3 players in, plus Greenwood, Gomes and Chong expected to step up more this year. 6 for 6, no problem there, your squad was bloated anyway.

As for Sanchez it's worth the cash, if he plays well for Inter, his value goes back up, if he stays at Utd on the bench, his value goes down and you're paying his full salary. Makes sense to me

El Zoido

Sending Sanchez out on loan is the best bit of business we’ve done in years. His disruptive nature is well-documented, his salary has affected the negotiating power of the club in terms of new signings and renewals, as well as caused upset in the dressing room where players that are 10x better than him aren’t even on half his salary. How anybody can be against this deal is completely bewildering to me, we just need him out of the club by any means.

Phil Osophy

Sanchez is a big problem for the next 3 years that won't be fixed by remaining here. He's not welcome, he doesn't want to be here, so his mediocre performances will only get worse while his wages keep influencing every negotiation in a negative way.

By sending the guy out on loan he can have a new start in a softer league that he knows well, and hopefully after performing better there will be some suitors next summer from MLS, China or anywhere else trying to sign the guy. That's our only chance to solve the problem, because at the moment not even these chinese clubs would touch the guy with a pole.

I think we could have kept him for 5 months and reinforce in January once he leaves, but nobody can guarantee that there will be offers for him then, so they've taken the first one they recieved and moved on.

It's a very short and very young squad so we're thin for the season, but Alexis remaining won't change that fact. He's been a nothing entity despite all his experience and he can't offer any guarantees right now, so it's mostly an irrelevant loss. He's a body in the squad, so is Greenwood or any kid from the u-23 that could offer at least the same he did here, because doing less is very difficult.

If we want to avoid starting Gomes and Greenwood for any reason (too young to put pressure on them, or whatever) there's enough players to make a starting line up even without Martial and leaving Lingard on the bench if we want to.

Darmian, Herrera, Fellaini, Smalling, Sanchez, Lukaku

6 players out

Maguire, AWB, James,

3 players in, plus Greenwood, Gomes and Chong expected to step up more this year. 6 for 6, no problem there, your squad was bloated anyway.

As for Sanchez it's worth the cash, if he plays well for Inter, his value goes back up, if he stays at Utd on the bench, his value goes down and you're paying his full salary. Makes sense to me
At least the non-United fans have an actual clue about our squad.

youngrell

Is this a competition of how many threads about the exact same thing but with a different title can our moaning members create in a week?

If this one isn't of your taste, try any of the following...

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/not-replacing-lukaku-and-sanchez.450224/#post-24634990

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/how...-wages-of-our-offloaded-players.450204/unread

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/out-fellaini-herrera-lukaku-sanchez-in-daniel-james.450162/unread

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/board-undermines-solskjær-transfer-plans.450212/

Give it a rest you tiresome fecks. I've zero doubts every last one of you was banging on at how shit Fellaini, Sanchez and Smalling are and how we need to "shift the deadwood", but if you don't get a bunch of new fecking toys with it you'll create a thread a day to cry about it.

Do you lot even enjoy football at all?

Lukaku > replaced in squad by Greenwood
Sanchez > replaced in squad by James (has already scored more PL goals in 3 games as Sanchez did last season).
Smalling > replaced in squad by Maguire
Fellaini > wank non-footballer, already replaced last Summer by Fred.

Herrera is literally the only one worth having a little cry about.
Well said.

settembrini

It's silly to try and pretend that losing guys like Sanchez, Darmian and Valencia will hurt us. All three are complete deadwood who we are better off without. Sanchez especially was a huge burden on the wage bill and if you think the other players were content to watch him be paid hundreds of thousands more a week than they were to play worse than almost all of them then you're crazy. He's also been replaced by James who you might have noticed scoring twice for us already this season. So in 3 games he's scored 40% of the total goals Sanchez scored for us in 45.

The players we have lost that we might miss are Herrera, Smalling and Lukaku.
1. Herrera. Good player but it would have been silly to try and match what PSG offered him given his age. The plan to replace him is the formation change and increasing the playing time for McTominay and Pereira. Fred could also be used a lot more this season.
2. Smalling. Good player but we had seven CBs in the first team squad. With Maguire as a new signing and Tuanzebe needing game time we had to cut the numbers somehow and he was the only one we were able to find a taker for.
3. Lukaku. Good player in his first season but unfit and not good in his second. After Mourinho was sacked and he lost his undroppable status he turned into a giant baby and forced his way out. He is being replaced by Greenwood who is a huge talent and the idea that he is being thrown into the deep end is laughable. He's been training with the first team since Solskjaer took over, he made appearances off the bench and even started a PL game last season, he was taken on the tour and played well in pre-season. It's been a textbook example of how to integrate a young talent into a first team squad and rather than given Solskjaer credit for it people are idiotically criticising him as if he had just grabbed him from the academy and put him on the bench this season out of desperation.

MonkeysMagic

It's the warped logic of some fans that Sanchez offers us anything worthwhile in attack that baffles me! They obviously have been watching our games over the last 18 months in a parallel universe where Sanchez played with the vigour, intensity and creativity of 2016!

I accept we are low on numbers, experience and creativity but it is precisely because we recruited players that perhaps wanted to go elsewhere but came to Utd for the riches on offer that we are in this mess!

Whilst I question his coaching credentials, I wholeheartedly support Ole's stance in removing overpaid, underperforming 'experienced' players for younger ones. And taking a more pragmatic approach to transfer dealings.

Ventura

Are we really only paying 6m to get rid of him for the season? That's a fantastic deal.

Red00012

We’ve reduced how much wages we give him, he’s out of the dressing room and we don’t have to wait for him to actually have a decent game and give a feck.
Instead Greenwood gets more playing time due to lack of options.
A win win situation.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes it sounds mad to pay someone 6m to play elsewhere for a year...

Until you remember he's on about 20m a year, and it's actually brilliant to ship that huge amount of wages off!

Withnail

Firstly, I don't understand that he is a disruptive element. He isn't belligerent. He didn't act like Lukaku. The fact he is on big money is an issue for the club's structure not him, and it is an issue that doesn't go away by his departure.

Secondly, with all the games we are playing this season, he won't be on the bench all the time if fit. He is a world class player when on his game, and just perhaps a run of starts while not recovering from injury might have kickstarted his season. Anyone who saw how he played for Chile in the summer was not seeking a player at the top of his game, but he was still very effective.

And all that having been said. If we were going to get rid of Sanchez, and it is clear that that was always going to be the case, where is the replacement. Or, indeed, Lukaku's replacement.
The standard of International Football is now so far below the PL there really isn't any conclusions you can draw from those performances. However, he hasn't been on his game for so long now that it really can't be put down to not getting a run of starts or recovering from injury. It's wishful thinking to believe he'd ever come good for United and he's best off gone.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Sunk cost fallacy comes to mind here. Look it up.