Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

El Pasillo

Jesus > Benzema (5 league goals ffs)
Well, Benzema is playing deeper where he put much more emphasises on creating chances and contributing in build-up unlike G. Jesus...

The Frenchman is still a much better player than G. Jesus if you watch the Frenchman play.

cyberman

Exactly. This only works if he's not improving the team. I don't think anyone would complain if Jose spent $500m and won the league comfortably while playing mesmerizing football scoring tons of goals.
Fahcts: yes, they are funded by oil money; yes, their spending is insane; it's not going away; but they are also playing well.
They also had to spend a fortune to go from 1 point above fourth to champions.
The money is the backbone of their success. No amount of yes buts can change that.
They buy Walker for 50m while we are targeting a Porto right back for the future. Even Liverpool are approaching a more expensive first 11 than we have.
City are in a financial league of their own and it shows. Its too big of an advantage to dismiss so easily.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Thats because he/she barely posts. @padr81 posts regularly and I really shouldnt have forgotten.
To be honest, I was spending an unhealthy amount of time on here (and dare I say an unhealthy amount of that time was spent arguing rather than debating) compared to the City forums, plus more importantly I had a lot of family strife over the past 9 months - basically spanning most of the season so I haven’t been in a position to enjoy it as much as I normally would - so I decided to go into semi-retirement and scale down my input. I only came back on today to post in the Sterling thread as it’s been a good debate in there so I’ll wind it back in for now.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Well, Benzema is playing deeper where he put much more emphasises on creating chances and contributing in build-up unlike G. Jesus...

The Frenchman is still a much better player than G. Jesus if you watch the Frenchman play.
:lol: everytime Benzema appears, you follow him around:boring:

Since Benzema has no bearing on Pep's spending or Manchester City, I will not derail this thread with any lengthy discussion about him in here. I will just say for the record I appreciate Benz's hold-up play and his CL performances very much, that was very good against Bayern and Liverpool.

I will hold my opinion anyway that Gabriel Jesus is better than Benzema. He is one of the biggest striker talents with Mbappe and Werner and his minutes to goal ratio is very good. He would offer a secondary goal scorer which Madrid missed badly in the first half of the season. He is also regularly one of the best players for Brazil and the biggest Brazilian talent at the moment. I think Real Madrid would be very happy to have him, just like every team in the world. Can't stand his face, tho.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think a few people are trying to cope. It's not the first time a team has had significant financial hegemony over its rivals. Our spending to is insane compared with historic levels.

cyberman

Think a few people are trying to cope. It's not the first time a team has had significant financial hegemony over its rivals. Our spending to is insane compared with historic levels.
Nobody is saying theyre a bad side but down playing their financial muscle to prove a point doesn't ring true.
We have spent a lot and yet they've spent 50 percent more! God help us if Utd actually win the league next year and City spend to catch up...that's where the future problems lie IMO.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don't rub it in anyone's face dude. in fact I'd say some on this forum jump on and call out what I/city or liverpool fans say and let it slide from others.

I post a simple thing praising pep without dismissing any other club, murder, death, killing, im arrogant, getting carried away etc... A dick, should be banned etc.. Not by everyone but by a minority.

Duffer last season makes a joke about lack of title race and praising conte, its fine.

You only have to look at bluemoon and you'll see I'm equally hated there because they think I'm a red.

Granted my posts are longwinded most the time as i work at a pc all day and im usually bored, I'm not as funny as Duffer but meh.. I do like a good argument.

That said I'm sure there are fans who come on to rub it in but they are usually gone before I notice them.

Also @M18CTID is a good poster and he had my back on BM too. Manchester Dan, there are a few who don't.

Last edited:

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
They also had to spend a fortune to go from 1 point above fourth to champions.
The money is the backbone of their success. No amount of yes buts can change that.
They buy Walker for 50m while we are targeting a Porto right back for the future. Even Liverpool are approaching a more expensive first 11 than we have.
City are in a financial league of their own and it shows. Its too big of an advantage to dismiss so easily.
And I get accused of cherry-picking my examples :lol:
Well done, you’ve identified a prospect who may be good enough to fill the vacancy at a price that may turn out to be a bargain. Many here wanted Alex Sandro brought in for a quick fix at around 60m.
I could throw Gabriel vs Lukaku at you or B Silva vs Pogba or Gundogan vs Matic.
Let’s be realistic, both City and United will spend heavily for the foreseeable future but it is the ability of the players to meld into an outstanding team while assisted by a set of coaches and execs who excel in their roles to give the players the tools they need to win the big trophies who will come out ahead in the next few years.

cyberman

And I get accused of cherry-picking my examples :lol:
Well done, you’ve identified a prospect who may be good enough to fill the vacancy at a price that may turn out to be a bargain. Many here wanted Alex Sandro brought in for a quick fix at around 60m.
I could throw Gabriel vs Lukaku at you or B Silva vs Pogba or Gundogan vs Matic.
Let’s be realistic, both City and United will spend heavily for the foreseeable future but it is the ability of the players to meld into an outstanding team while assisted by a set of coaches and execs who excel in their roles to give the players the tools they need to win the big trophies who will come out ahead in the next few years.
Many want Bale too but we're not getting him. If anything reports says Sandro is staying.
The Portuguese lad is the only solid fullback we're linked to!
A quality (for now) squad player that saves us money for a Fred or Toby.
For me, Sanchez signing is the same principal. We only have him because he was so cheap which allows us to pump our funds elsewhere.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't rub it in anyone's face dude. in fact I'd say some on this forum jump on and call out what I/city or liverpool fans say and let it slide from others.

I post a simple thing praising pep without dismissing any other club, murder, death, killing, im arrogant, getting carried away etc... A dick, should be banned etc.. Not by everyone but by a minority.

Duffer last season makes a joke about lack of title race and praising conte, its fine.

You only have to look at bluemoon and you'll see I'm equally hated there because they think I'm a red.

Granted my posts are longwinded most the time as i work at a pc all day and im usually bored, I'm not as funny as Duffer but meh.. I do like a good argument.

That said I'm sure there are fans who come on to rub it in but they are usually gone before I notice them.

Also @M18CTID is a good poster and he had my back on BM too. Manchester Dan, there are a few who don't.
I think you misunderstood. I was actually saying you're a good poster.

fellaini's barber

You guys make it sound like if you gave Fat Sam $500 million he'd win the league with 100 points. Yes the man spends money but some posts in here are fecking disrespectful. He has a very good squad which he has spent a lot of money and ditched a lot of players to improve but the most important factor in this City team is their style of play. You guys refuse to realise that if they hired some other type of manager they could be going after players like Arnautovic instead of Mahrez for instance

el3mel

You guys make it sound like if you gave Fat Sam $500 million he'd win the league with 100 points. Yes the man spends money but some posts in here are fecking disrespectful. He has a very good squad which he has spent a lot of money and ditched a lot of players to improve but the most important factor in this City team is their style of play. You guys refuse to realise that if they hired some other type of manager they could be going after players like Arnautovic instead of Mahrez for instance
You do realize that City have bought loads of great players (either still present or not) under other average managers ? Aguero, Yaya Toure, Otamendi, Sterling, Silva, KDB ..etc ? It's not like Pep went on and changed their transfer policy for instant.

fellaini's barber

You do realize that City have bought loads of great players (either still present or not) under other average managers ? Aguero, Yaya Toure, Otamendi, Sterling, Silva, KDB ..etc ? It's not like Pep went on and changed their transfer policy for instant.
Toure has barely played for Pep, Otamendi is a suddenly great player now? Sterling was not rated on the caf before last season(I thought he was shite), they did pretty well without Aguero for a portion of the season, KDB we all knew was awesome but his improvement this season was phenomenal. Lets not forget that same manager who wants players like Arnautovic once had KDB and sold him. Its funny how players we used to mock on here have suddenly become cheat mode players because of their performance last season. We had a bunch of good players bought under other managers, not as good as City's of course but with the money we've spent so far we can't be using that excuse till now, not after 4 transfer windows. Especially considering the fact that half the players we bought are all either underperforming, sold off or on the bench so it looks like we're still where we started when Jose came.

City finished few points above us 2 seasons ago, you are kidding yourself if you think this 20 point gap increase came due to the addition of Mendy(barely played), Ederson, Laporte(January) and Danilo(barely played) because we spent a lot of money too.

el3mel

Toure has barely played for Pep, Otamendi is a suddenly great player now? Sterling was not rated on the caf before last season(I thought he was shite), they did pretty well without Aguero for a portion of the season, KDB we all knew was awesome but his improvement this season was phenomenal. Lets not forget that same manager who wants players like Arnautovic once had KDB and sold him. Its funny how players we used to mock on here have suddenly become cheat mode players because of their performance last season. We had a bunch of good players bought under other managers, not as good as City's of course but with the money we've spent so far we can't be using that excuse till now, not after 4 transfer windows. Especially considering the fact that half the players we bought are all either underperforming, sold off or on the bench so it looks like we're still where we started when Jose came.

City finished few points above us 2 seasons ago, you are kidding yourself if you think this 20 point gap increase came due to the addition of Mendy(barely played), Ederson, Laporte(January) and Danilo(barely played) because we spent a lot of money too.
Pointless post. You're just memorizing your points and repeating them without even reading the original post carefully. You said that another manager would have them signing Arnautovic instead of Mahrez, actually no, City have always been signing some of the best players around, they didn't need Pep to change their policy or target the likes of these players, because they have been signing them before Pep arrived for years and under several other average managers like Mancini and Pellegrini. Pep has nothing to do with their transfer policty, he just got a job at a club that is used to spending loads on great players. City are like Madrid have a certain transfer policy irrelevant of the manager managing them.

Try to read before replaying again please.

fellaini's barber

Pointless post. You're just memorizing your points and repeating them without even reading the original post carefully. You said that another manager would have them signing Arnautovic instead of Mahrez, actually no, City have always been signing some of the best players around, they didn't need Pep to change their policy or target the likes of these players, because they have been signing them before Pep arrived for years and under several other average managers like Mancini and Pellegrini. Pep has nothing to do with their transfer policty, he just got a job at a club that is used to spending loads on great players. City are like Madrid have a certain transfer policy irrelevant of the manager managing them.

Try to read before replaying again please.
Oh I see, so City would have signed all the players they've signed under Pep regardless of who was manager? This is new information. So you think they'd have this same team even if Moyesy was their manager? Or that if Jose was their manager and he told them he wanted Arnautovic because he needed 'presence' City would have told him to feck off and buy Sane instead? Pep has no say in the type of player he wants playing for him? What a stupid post coming from someone calling my post pointless. feck sake

el3mel

Oh I see, so City would have signed all the players they've signed under Pep regardless of who was manager? This is new information. So you think they'd have this same team even if Moyesy was their manager? Pep has no say in the type of player he wants playing for him? What a stupid post coming from someone calling my post pointless. feck sake
Yes and the list of top players they signed under average at best managers like Mancini and Pellegrini prove this. They are always signing the best players around and didn't need Pep to do this. You on the other hand have zero proof on your point and are just listing what you used to repeat in other discussions anyway.

fellaini's barber

Yes and the list of top players they signed under average at best managers like Mancini and Pellegrini prove this. They are always signing the best players around and didn't need Pep to do this. You on the other hand have zero proof on your point and are just listing what you used to repeat in other discussions anyway.
You want me to prove to you that Pep is responsible for the players bought by the club he's paid to manage? So City is responsible for all the 'top' players they bought under different managers and are 'always signing the best players around' as you put it, as opposed to we and other clubs who have been going around actively trying to sign shit ones right? Are they responsible for all the players Pep has let go to? All those top players they bought which they suddenly didn't want anymore as soon as Pep came along. I guess they have to take the credit for the bombs like Bravo and Nolito , they really got it wrong then.So Pep just sits there and they toss the players at him:lol:. Seriously man, your point is really too dumb for me to be arguing about and I'm done, goodnight

Flytan

I disagree with that entirely. Sure they signed top quality players when they had other managers but it was different. They signed players after they had fallen out with their previous clubs or the players weren't linked to big clubs across Europe (and if they were they'd have to overpay them - hence the amount of deadwood contracts they used to have).

Pep is attracting top quality talent to play for them over the likes of other big clubs. He's taking players ahead of other clubs (such as United unfortunately) and almost every developing talent wants to play for him. Neymar has stated he wants to play for him one day, he's simply a manager that is able to relate to and make better almost any player in his team.

I hate admitting this but at least he's only at a club like City and not a traditional power

el3mel

You want me to prove to you that Pep is responsible for the players bought by the club he's paid to manage? So City is responsible for all the 'top' players they bought under different managers and are 'always signing the best players around' as you put it, as opposed to we and other clubs who have been going around actively trying to sign shit ones right? Are they responsible for all the players Pep has let go to? All those top players they bought which they suddenly didn't want anymore as soon as Pep came along. I guess they have to take the credit for the bombs like Bravo and Nolito , they really got it wrong then.So Pep just sits there and they toss the players at him:lol:. Seriously man, your point is really too dumb for me to be arguing about and I'm done, goodnight
I think that's the best option for yoi because it's clear that you had no point from the start anyway. I gave you a list of some of the best players around that City had been buying for years but you're still insisting he's the one responsible for their transfer policy the last 2 years. :lol: Yeah goodnight.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We wouldn't need to spend so much if it wasn't for joke teams like this. It's no surprise the market exploded to the point of ridiculousness not long after PSG and City were bought and have been desperate to win everything in this fashion.

When we used to spend more than everyone, it was only just and we didn't exactly take the piss considering how much money we had and had earned.

el3mel

I disagree with that entirely. Sure they signed top quality players when they had other managers but it was different. They signed players after they had fallen out with their previous clubs or the players weren't linked to big clubs across Europe (and if they were they'd have to overpay them - hence the amount of deadwood contracts they used to have).

Pep is attracting top quality talent to play for them over the likes of other big clubs. He's taking players ahead of other clubs (such as United unfortunately) and almost every developing talent wants to play for him. Neymar has stated he wants to play for him one day, he's simply a manager that is able to relate to and make better almost any player in his team.

I hate admitting this but at least he's only at a club like City and not a traditional power
Like ?

fellaini's barber

Its ridiculous, based on his reasoning that means if City had hired Fat Sam, Moyes and Simeone instead of Pellegrini, Mancini and Pep they'll have this same team....why? 'because they've always signed top players' fecking hell why should we even bother trying to compete, they'll always buy the top players and play amazing football manager regardless, its over guys

Last edited:

Flytan

We've been linked with Jorginho throughout the year only to have the player himself state he wants to play for Pep. Kyle Walker was linked to us as well. I *think* there were some reports about Stones as well since Jose coveted him at Chelsea? Obviously there's no way to prove whether or not we were in for all those players but I don't see why we wouldn't have been when they're all in positions we could easily improve in.

el3mel

We've been linked with Jorginho throughout the year only to have the player himself state he wants to play for Pep. Kyle Walker was linked to us as well. I *think* there were some reports about Stones as well since Jose coveted him at Chelsea? Obviously there's no way to prove whether or not we were in for all those players but I don't see why we wouldn't have been when they're all in positions we could easily improve in.
We get linked with thousands of players in the media every day, but it doesn't mean we actually tried to get them all. So far they didn't get any player that we actually tried to sign or made an offer for him, not just us but I don't remember them doing that for other English clubs as well.

Flytan

We get linked with thousands of players in the media every day, but it doesn't mean we actually tried to get them all. So far they didn't get any player that we actually tried to sign or made an offer for him, not just us but I don't remember them doing that for other English clubs as well.
Ah yes, they were the only club that coveted De Bruyne, Sane, Mendy, Stones, G Jesus, and Kyle Walker. No single big club in Europe wanted them

el3mel

Ah yes, they were the only club that coveted De Bruyne, Sane, Mendy, Stones, G Jesus, and Kyle Walker. No single big club in Europe wanted them
Clubs got interested, but how many make actual offers ? And BTW, why are listing KDB when he was signed under Pellegrini ?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Pep or money is the question you need to ask here, would half of these pep worshipping players have decided to join had there not been money on the table too for wages and their buy out clauses??
They went to City for the money, same as players go to United, Real, Barca. If United had Pep but no money you think the same type of players would join??

SER19

OK don't take the report of a serious writer on a serious publication if you don't want to.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...a-and-meet-71m-british-transfer-10367222.html

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...s/manchester-city-transfer-paul-pogba-9618641

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-news/man-city-ready-give-up-6023055

These are a few more indications that there was an attempt to thrash out a deal between City and Pogba in the summer of 2015 but it stalled due to excessive wage demands and other add ons but if you want to bury your head in the sand and not accept this inconvenient truth then go ahead.
Again, these are just papers regurgitating a story. For every one of these I can give you twenty for players united or Chelsea or Arsenal etc were allegedly close to signing. But let’s say it’s true, I still don’t know what point it proves. There are many reasons clubs will not stump up the money, perhaps they wanted him but didn’t feel he was worth it?perhaps they thought he was worth it but didn’t like dealing with the agent? Perhaps the negotiations became time consuming from other targets which levy manages often. But if city were able to sign messi for the fee and wages that were being discussed they would have. In a heartbeat. The money is there and the sheikh would have it transferred in as quick a time as it takes to say slave labour. I’m never quite sure what the feck city fans are on about as if not spending more than 80m - while simultaneously spending over 300m on defenders , five of which are in the top 10most expensive defenders of all time- is some indication of financial limitation.

If you want to speak about burying ones head in the sand then have a conversation with an city fan about this and watch them cling onto to some absurd convoluted notion like a last shred of dignity as if tonconvince themselves they haven’t shattered English football and the chances of 99% of sides ever competing at the top.

Cal?

CR7 fan
We’ve set PL records that are unlikely to be erased in my lifetime. Many are already conceding next season’s PL to us already (not me BTW). The reason most of us follow Football is to witness whether the favourites (Liverpool or United most years, City and Chelsea more recently) prevail or whether they come unstuck and someone like Leicester comes along and upsets the odds.
Ferguson famously knocked Liverpool off their perch. Pundits consider City almost uncatchable at the moment. Can your current group of players, coaches and execs bring you back to the top of the English game?
Let’s find out and enjoy the ride.
Pundits? They probably thought Arsenal were unbeatable back in summer 2004 too

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
I thought the whole point of this thread is Pep's insane spending but you are saying the spending would've happened anyways regardless of who's coaching City? Ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bearded One

I feel that whenever there is that need to look inwards, we like to point fingers on City. About inflating the market, single deals across the length and breadth of Europe are looked at as yardstick for future deals. They have indeed spent ridiculous sums particularly on defenders but when you look at central midfielders and forwards, there are many deals that trump theirs. I think KDB is their record buy in this period and they have managed to sign players like Sane and Jesus in the same market where Torres went for the odd £50m many years ago. Di maria was signed for more, Pogba, Lakaku.

When you consider that it was initially Mourinho that tried to land Stones, "the new John Terry" for big money whilst at Chelsea is indication that you cannot point to one club in the epl and exonerate everyone else.

It begs the question, what is the appropriate amount a striker should go for, and then a midfielder and then a defender?

Whenever there is opportunity to take a look at ourselves we prefer to point our fingers at someone else. LIverpool will only get better and if Klopp doesn't feck off from the epl, slowly but surely they will challenge for the title big time. Look at how they are going about their business in an orderly and premeditated way rather than scatter gun and it makes you wonder.

City indeed spent bucket loads last term but they also recouped money 90 million euros, i think from players they didn't want and players they could do without - trade off to secure the best. We can take a leaf from their book I suppose but if a Fellaini was still being cajoled to stay, then it makes you wonder. Also note that their two most expensive players had little impact on their 100 point haul but we like to quote the numbers so that we can feel better. Nothing bad in that at all only that we must also look inwards.

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
I know the spending has been insane but Pep has really changed the entire squad pretty much to build what he felt it was his concept of football. That was not going to happen with Zaba and Sagna as his fullbacks. Let's get real, the only reason there is a debate about Pep's spending is because it has being extremely successful, breaking all sort of records this past season. I truly believe if that was not the case then we would be all laughing at City (well not me particularly, I would be hoping we bring Sampaoli though).

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
Do they really need Jorginho? It seems they only buy to stop the others from doing that.
Yeah they do, Fernandinho has been playing a crazy amount of games and has been exposed in certain games. He is not getting any younger either.