Peterson, Harris, etc....

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
fecking hell.
Its not objectively wrong as far as crime statistics go. Unless you believe the data has been manipulated beyond any having any value at all. There is also only half as many Asian Americans compared African Americans as well.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Peterson’s always crying… he seems very emotionally unstable.

Kind of like if you mixed Kermit the Frog with an emo teenager and put the result into the body of a middle aged man with a cult YouTube channel.

Bless him.

Jordan Peterson is astrology for men. Yeah to take Peterson seriously for a second, he reminds me of when I used to go to therapy. The whole clean you're room schtick is not to dissimilar to therapy classes recommending going on at least one daily walk or a couple minutes of daily exercise, it's all very basic CBT stuff expect Peterson thinks it can be expanded into politics(Along with his old 1950's conservatism) which is just a very odd way of looking at the world.

In the end I do feel sorry for him.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Peterson’s always crying… he seems very emotionally unstable.

Kind of like if you mixed Kermit the Frog with an emo teenager and put the result into the body of a middle aged man with a cult YouTube channel.

Bless him.
You're right, he's completely unstable. It worries me that people buy his self help books. If his 12 rules -which conveniently became 24 rules so he could publish another book- were actually effective, then he must not have followed them himself?

Eriku

One wonders why African Americans are overrepresented? Does one really? There’s an insane amount of PTSD in the more troubled areas of inner city America, disproportionately populated by African Americans. There’s the facts borne out by epigenetics, that generational trauma can carry on genetically, and worsen their odds of breaking the cycle. Outside of first nation peoples, what population has been systematically fecked over in the US than the African Americans? If you’re locked out of the legit economy, you’ll damn sure take part in the black economy, and that shit is policed differently and cannot be taken to court.

Makes horrible sense to me.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Hmmmmm

10 Things Brave People Do Differently
Contrary to popular belief, being brave isn't about lacking fear. Rather, being brave is about facing your fears head first

7 Ways 'Fearless' People Conquer Fear
Courageous people are as afraid as anyone else. It is actually their fear that makes them courageous, not the lack of it. But they manage their fear differently.

7 Ways to Feel More Courageous
In fact, one of the best ways to be courageous is to understand what you're afraid of and then refuse to allow that fear to paralyze you.

How to be brave: 16 steps to let go of fear
Nobody said you can’t be afraid. Be afraid. Admit that you are afraid. Some of the bravest things you’ll do in your lifetime require fear in order for you to rise above.

Being Brave is Not the Absence of Fear: It’s The Courage to be Vulnerable
Being brave is not about the absence of fear, it’s about having the courage to be vulnerable – to press on in spite of fear.

Becoming Brave: Help Your Child Move Past Fear
Bravery doesn’t mean fearlessness. It means doing something even though we’re scared.

Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire
“-Can a man be brave when he is afraid?- Bran asked after a moment's thought. -"It's the only time he can be brave,"- his father said.”

So profound.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
James Lindsay the damned grifter blocked me from Twitter and I have no idea why. I even bought and read his critically acclaimed book. It would suggest to me that he mainly wants Twitter acolytes at this stage.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Exceptionally dumb thing for a "scientist" to post, basically saying you can't model stock prices (though you can and are paid a ton if you do), so you can't model anything else.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

Exceptionally dumb thing for a "scientist" to post, basically saying you can't model stock prices (though you can and are paid a ton if you do), so you can't model anything else.
You got owned, lib!

nimic

something nice
Scout

Damn shame he didn't die from his self-induced coma after getting addicted after writing books about how not to get addicted. But I guess this reduced Twitter ghoul is cosmic irony enough.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

We all have a favourite grifter and mine is JP, the man is hilarious.

NotThatSoph

Peterson is very mad because a trans person won a race, predicting the incomming fall of all women's athletic records. It's an interesting reaction, considering that the winner is a trans man who is still competing in the women's category because he hasn't started hormone therapy.

MarylandMUFan

Peterson is very mad because a trans person won a race, predicting the incomming fall of all women's athletic records. It's an interesting reaction, considering that the winner is a trans man who is still competing in the women's category because he hasn't started hormone therapy.
So basically none of the athletic components of being a man. And, eventually, I assume he will compete against men which may even give him a disadvantage. I am supportive of trans causes, I do wonder how athletics (especially combat sports) will adapt. In the end, will we no longer have the classic binary women's/men's sport categories in favor of something different (hormone levels, body mass, something)?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So basically none of the athletic components of being a man. And, eventually, I assume he will compete against men which may even give him a disadvantage. I am supportive of trans causes, I do wonder how athletics (especially combat sports) will adapt. In the end, will we no longer have the classic binary women's/men's sport categories in favor of something different (hormone levels, body mass, something)?
In combat sports weight class is always the deciding factor. Think they can just keep it that way?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
In combat sports weight class is always the deciding factor. Think they can just keep it that way?
No, a 135lb woman would typically not be as strong as a 135lb man. Naturally the man would normally have a higher proportion of muscle and a different skeletal structure. I think men's and women's categories will stay for a long time, it's as good an arbitrary distinction as any.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No, a 135lb woman would typically not be as strong as a 135lb man. Naturally the man would normally have a higher proportion of muscle and a different skeletal structure. I think men's and women's categories will stay for a long time, it's as good an arbitrary distinction as any.
Yeah that's fair enough.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Would love to know what any female athletes feel about this. I believe we had another thread going on the topic.

For me it's a tricky one. I'm all for trans folk doing as they please,but don't believe that women athletes who choose to remain binary should be at a disadvantage in their respective sports. And all the science/results point towards 'males' having real advantages.

NotThatSoph

Yep. Peterson, and by proxy his followers, saw "trans" in the headline and blew a gasket because they thought a trans woman won and they were ready to predict the end of the world. Even funnier, a trans woman did compete as well. She didn't win.

Something similar is happening in this tread now, but thankfully without the transphobic vitriol. This is a story about a trans man winning a women's race, and he's competing against women because he hasn't started hormone theraphy yet. This is not a story about trans women. Yet the talk automaticically goes to be about how women's sport is potentially under threat by trans women, even though Iszac Henig beat a trans woman in this very race.

This is an opportunity to laugh at how Peterson is making himself look like an idiot because he jumped the gun, or to congratulate Henig with a great race. If we want to talk about trans people then it's an opportunity to talk about trans men, who people seem to forget exist at times. Or we can talk about trans women competing against cis women. Again.

Mike Smalling

Would love to know what any female athletes feel about this. I believe we had another thread going on the topic.

For me it's a tricky one. I'm all for trans folk doing as they please,but don't believe that women athletes who choose to remain binary should be at a disadvantage in their respective sports. And all the science/results point towards 'males' having real advantages.
Here are a few quotes/articles from some of the most high profile cases that came to mind.

- Quote by a female MMA fighter who fought the trans woman Fallon Fox.
I've fought a lot of women and have never felt the strength that I felt in a fight as I did that night. I can't answer whether it's because she was born a man or not because I'm not a doctor. I can only say, I've never felt so overpowered ever in my life and I am an abnormally strong female in my own right.
- Female weight lifter podium from Tokyo Olympics refuse to answer questions about Laurel Hubbard. Could be interpreted as opposition, or maybe they just didn't want to get dragged into the debate. Link.
- Hannah Mouncey was not selected for Australia Women's handball team, as her teammates refused to shower with her. Link.

I am sure opinions are very diverse on the matter, and will obviously vary across sports, geographies, etc. These are just the first examples that came up from the cases I knew about.

Mike Smalling

Jim Jeffries, a comedian, was infinitely more effective against Peterson than Phd Professor Michael Eric Dyson

There was a similar one with Joe Rogan, where he completely exposed his hypocrisy on equality of outcome.

Mike Smalling

To be fair, it is actually quite commendable that Peterson concedes when he's wrong in this clip. The vast majority of people do not do so, ever, regardless of the proof put in front of them.
It was either that or condemn the Civil Rights movement though :lol: not really a tough call.

nimic

something nice
Scout
To be fair, it is actually quite commendable that Peterson concedes when he's wrong in this clip. The vast majority of people do not do so, ever, regardless of the proof put in front of them.
It should tell us something about this supposed intellectual that all it took for him to change his mind in the span of thirty seconds was for a comedian to point out the obvious contradiction. I don't really give him a lot of credit for saying he's wrong, because the alternative is for him to say on TV that the civil rights movement was a mistake.

Trequarista10

It should tell us something about this supposed intellectual that all it took for him to change his mind in the span of thirty seconds was for a comedian to point out the obvious contradiction. I don't really give him a lot of credit for saying he's wrong, because the alternative is for him to say on TV that the civil rights movement was a mistake.
To change his mind on a question he was asked 10 seconds earlier and gave a quick, relatively indecisive response to.