PFA player of the year 2013

Swaters16

I don't think Bale deserved it. I count the entire season not just the patch where Bale was brilliant. He wasn't the best player in the league consistently and was therefore probably less deserving of the award than Mata, Carrick, Suarez and RVP who were all great for the entire season, barring a few games for all of them.

I don't mean to discredit Bale but if he had his purple patch at the start of the season and scored 3 goals in the whole second half, he would not be PFA player of the year right now. It also helps massively he's British (let's not kid ourselves). He had a very, very good season of course but I disagree with him winning both awards.

For me RVP should have been player of the year and young player of the year should go to someone who has not played six seasons or more of professional football.
I'd like Carrick to have won it but that's simply dream land - no goals means no personal awards in England. Up until now hasn't Carrick just been shit in the media's eyes

On a side note, am I the only one that feels players that are banned for an extended period of time for unsporting conduct should be disqualified from being eligible for PFA awards? It seems to me that the best player should also be someone who is respectable and abides by the laws of the game. Not just an attack on Suarez but how could the best player be someone who doesn't play by the rules or harms fellow professionals?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
It's possible to win these awards as a defensive player, Cannavaro won player of the year in '06 didn't he?

Anyway, Bale will join United eventually, mark my words.
Maybe he prefers Madrid? More money, playing with his hero (or following in his footsteps), levy will prefer to sell him abroad, Madrid have no problems coughing up huge sums, seems to fit their style of play, di Maria is decent but not irreplacable by Madrid standards.

NinjaFletch

I don't think Bale deserved it. I count the entire season not just the patch where Bale was brilliant. He wasn't the best player in the league consistently and was therefore probably less deserving of the award than Mata, Carrick, Suarez and RVP who were all great for the entire season, barring a few games for all of them.

I don't mean to discredit Bale but if he had his purple patch at the start of the season and scored 3 goals in the whole second half, he would not be PFA player of the year right now. It also helps massively he's British (let's not kid ourselves). He had a very, very good season of course but I disagree with him winning both awards.

For me RVP should have been player of the year and young player of the year should go to someone who has not played six seasons or more of professional football.
I'd like Carrick to have won it but that's simply dream land - no goals means no personal awards in England. Up until now hasn't Carrick just been shit in the media's eyes

On a side note, am I the only one that feels players that are banned for an extended period of time for unsporting conduct should be disqualified from being eligible for PFA awards? It seems to me that the best player should also be someone who is respectable and abides by the laws of the game. Not just an attack on Suarez but how could the best player be someone who doesn't play by the rules or harms fellow professionals?
Carrick has been getting consistent praise from all portions of the media, they've been fawning over him this year.

And the second part is rubbish, Suarez biting someone has nothing to do with how good a footballer he has been. They're unrelated.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I agree that Bale shouldn't have won but not because he was inconsistent, he's been pretty consistent. Even RVP and Suarez have gone a fair number of games not scoring many. But the reason I think the latter two are more worthy is because their all round game is still on a higher level than Bale's. Bale is not a kick and run merchant or a one trick poney but his Suarez and RVP have that touch of class that Bale doesn't have.

I'd have gone for 1) RVP, 2) Suarez 3) Bale

And I agree that the young player award is a farce. Only 21 or younger players should be elidgible and experience should also count I reckon (like you mention).

RK

Carrick has been getting consistent praise from all portions of the media, they've been fawning over him this year.

And the second part is rubbish, Suarez biting someone has nothing to do with how good a footballer he has been. They're unrelated.
I disagree. "Player of the Year" and being a "good" footballer should take into account the sportsmanship of a player, and how they represent the game. Where in the award does it say it should be based solely on ability?

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I disagree. "Player of the Year" and being a "good" footballer should take into account the sportsmanship of a player, and how they represent the game. Where in the award does it say it should be based solely on ability?
I agree, moral player of the year and all that. Can't go around being banned for being a cnut but win the end of year awards.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
At least two of the bookings Bale received for diving came after contact was made, if memory serves.

Now you can argue all you want about if it's enough contact to go down but it's not going to stop 99% of footballers deeming it enough, so I don't think the PFA can hold that against him.

He'd have got my vote.

Cina

Yeah, Bale probably did actually deserve it this year, which is more than can be said for 10/11.

Delighted to see Rio and DDG in there, they fully deserved it.

Just read that Suarez was the runner-up with RVP in 3rd...
It was voted for whilst RvP was going through a barren patch for us, hardly surprising.

Castia

Bale deserves it for me he's been great pretty much all season. He's scored some classy goals and is at the stage where he's winning spurs points on his own.
Interesting to say he wants to win things and be involved in the champions league though....for the first time I want Arsenal to finish 4th just to see if Bale asks to leave.

humdinger

I slagged Bale off when he won it last time as I thought others (Nani!) genuinely deserved it more by a margin but fair play to him this time as he's been excellent.

Yes RVP and Suarez have also had excellent seasons and to some people they were better but I think there's not much in it so have no qualms with Bale winning it.

The short list was a joke though. Michu and Fellaini deserved nominations and as has been repeatedly said DDG and Rafael were both better than Welbeck. Shows how much media can influence the outcome.

YPOTY rules need reassessed though. Agree that age should be lowered.

RedRover

I think Bale deserves it 100%.
Absolutely. How can anyone say a player who's had such a great season didn't deserve it?

RVP has been fantastic, but he had a dip in form probably around the time the votes were going in and it probably cost him.

Regardless - the players voted for Bale. That's good enough for me.

Kinky Melinky

I tend to agree. It's a bit like calling a band shit because they spent / spend their lives snorting coke, shooting heroin and shoving fish up women's fannys.

Swaters16

I tend to agree. It's a bit like calling a band shit because they spent / spend their lives snorting coke, shooting heroin and shoving fish up women's fannys.
It's not though. You can go around biting people all you want outside of work but if you do it on the pitch it is affecting the game.
A better comparison is if rock stars were snorting coke on stage.

Kinky Melinky

It's not though. You can go around biting people all you want outside of work but if you do it on the pitch it is affecting the game.
A better comparison is if rock stars were snorting coke on stage.
Ok...rock stars snorting coke on stage, and bringing strippers on-stage getting onstage blowjobs whilst the women get their tits out.

I'm not sure you've been to a Steel Panther gig. Naff parody music, but exceptionally talented musicians who do all of the above.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Bale is a worthy winner.

Also a nice winner in the sense that it proves that the PFA are not racist since they chose someone who resembles a chimpanzee.

redevil2

Ok...rock stars snorting coke on stage, and bringing strippers on-stage getting onstage blowjobs whilst the women get their tits out.

I'm not sure you've been to a Steel Panther gig. Naff parody music, but exceptionally talented musicians who do all of the above.
Where's the moral compass of people these days? You were trying to make your point by saying its perfectly fine if the said band you describe gets the top award in thier industry. There are many exceptionally talented people around but why would you prefer to award them if they are doing all of the above activities you cited?

Kinky Melinky

Where's the moral compass of people these days? You were trying to make your point by saying its perfectly fine if the said band you describe gets the top award in thier industry. There are many exceptionally talented people around but why would you prefer to award them if they are doing all of the above activities you cited?
Nah I don't think that's what this is really about. All I am saying is that despite a person's actions, it doesn't take away from a particular talent they have. Whether a person applauds or deplores their actions is a different kettle of fish.

All I am saying is that the scouse cnut is a good player and that his biting has nothing to do with how good or bad he is as a player. It's revolting behavour without a shadow of a doubt, but so are some of the things Cantona and Keano did. All 3 of the aforementioned are or were excellent players.

Quinton Fortune

I dont think anyone could have complained if Carrick, Van Persie, Bale or Suarez won. Arguably they've all had to carry their team for a sustained period at times this season. Bale has probably carried Spurs more than any of the others and their teams though. The difference will be massive if Bale goes and they don't invest in a class replacement and new striker.

amolbhatia50k

Absolutely. How can anyone say a player who's had such a great season didn't deserve it?

RVP has been fantastic, but he had a dip in form probably around the time the votes were going in and it probably cost him.

Regardless - the players voted for Bale. That's good enough for me.
Because they think RVP and Suarez have been better? I think Bale has been brillliant but the other two have more dimensions to their game and are more refined in the overall quality in their game.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Because they think RVP and Suarez have been better? I think Bale has been brillliant but the other two have more dimensions to their game and are more refined in the overall quality in their game.
That's irrelevant. The most limited player could have a better season than the most refined player and deserve the award. Although on the contrary you could argue that Bale has a skill set that RVP doesn't have and RVP has plenty in his locker that Bale doesn't have. Being able to run as fast as him and keep the ball under control, whack in a few skills and score most of your goals from outside the box, things that you won't see in every single game from RVP, but pretty likely from Bale at the moment.

Bale has that excitement and flair about him, and considering the majority of footballers are as fickle as us fans; although much richer, you can see why Bale would be voted.

As most have said though, any one of the three as footballers could've won and it would've been somewhat justified. So it's not even a talking point though some seem intent on making it into one.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Bale has done enough to justify winning. However I don't get why a player should be entered in both categories. If a young player is entered in the PTY he should not be allowed to win the YPTY award.

If Suarez had kept out of trouble maybe he would have won. He's a great footballer but the voters will put into consideration other things.

amolbhatia50k

That's irrelevant. The most limited player could have a better season than the most refined player and deserve the award. Although on the contrary you could argue that Bale has a skill set that RVP doesn't have and RVP has plenty in his locker that Bale doesn't have. Being able to run as fast as him and keep the ball under control, whack in a few skills and score most of your goals from outside the box, things that you won't see in every single game from RVP, but pretty likely from Bale at the moment.

Bale has that excitement and flair about him, and considering the majority of footballers are as fickle as us fans; although much richer, you can see why Bale would be voted.

As most have said though, any one of the three as footballers could've won and it would've been somewhat justified. So it's not even a talking point though some seem intent on making it into one.
Of course it's relevant. Suarez creates havoc by being basically being the premier league's best dribbler. And Rvp is fantastic at leading the line and opens up teams through his technical ability. These are, believe it or not, things that actually impact games rather than just for show. Of course bale has things in his locker that the other two don't (pace). But I think they're just better footballers than him.

Having said that I'm definitely not part of the caf brigade that seems to have some irrational hatred for bale. He is absolutely quality.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Is there a full list of the votes or does it only display the top 3? Would be nice to see where Mata came!

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Either one of Bale, RVP and Suarez could've deservedly won it, in the end I think they opted for the one that thrilled everyone the most.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
Bale deserves it 100% for me.He epitomizes the PL perfectly, a mixture of pace, strength and technique.
He has come a long way from the left-back who was in a team that couldn't win a game when he was playing. The evolution of Bale that very same left-back player to where he is today is nothing short of brilliant.

As far as I'm concerned, he deserves the two awards and puts him alongside Andy Gray and Ronaldo. Couldn't have happened to a nicer player and I hope he goes a long way, whoever he plays for next.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Does anyone know if there is a video of Reginald D Hunters set?

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The Football Writer's Award is to be announced at 12pm. I suspect RVP for this one.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Either one of Bale, RVP and Suarez could've deservedly won it, in the end I think they opted for the one that thrilled everyone the most.
Yes, that's probably right. It'll be interesting to see if Bale has won the writer's award. A double would surely be pretty convincing, even for his critics.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
It is Bale. 53% of the vote, 2nd was RVP 43% 3rd was Mata 2%.

Suarez got 2 votes.