Phil Jones | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is the hype over him on the caf right now a bit over the top? He's been doing well but barring the tongue in cheek comments you'd think he was the next Iniesta looking a frighteningly good young player.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Is the hype over him on the caf right now a bit over the top? He's been doing well but barring the tongue in cheek comments you'd think he was the next Iniesta looking a frighteningly good young player.
I think he is just one of the positives, so we are all running with it. We have to cling to any positive we can get this season.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead

A lot of it in here is tongue-in-cheek but you'd be hard pressed to find a better young defender, the boy can play centre-back and holding midfield to very high standard.

amolbhatia50k

A lot of it in here is tongue-in-cheek but you'd be hard pressed to find a better young defender, the boy can play centre-back and holding midfield to very high standard.
I think smaller is a better defender. Varane from what I've seen looks on another level entirely. Jones looks a great utility mans so far. Not sure I can see him being top drawer in one position. Although his defending has been better in recent games when he's played there.

ArmchairCritic

I think smaller is a better defender. Varane from what I've seen looks on another level entirely. Jones looks a great utility mans so far. Not sure I can see him being top drawer in one position. Although his defending has been better in recent games when he's played there.

Jones is similar to Vidic and Terry in that he seems to live to defend, however he's quicker than Vidic and Terry and I think he will surpass Smalling and I'd have him over Varane purely because of the job he can do in midfield. Jones is a superb, superb young player. For some reason the Basel game at Home and Newcastle games away in his first season (both when he was paired with Rio) seem to dominate people's perceptions of Jones as a centre-half.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

I don't agree with this at all.

I think Jones will be a nailed on world class player really. Smalling looks like he'll be a pretty good defender but for me Jones is on another level talent wise. I also disagree with people who say that he's only playing as a midfielder because our team lacks quality in the midfield department, I think some of his performances in the midfield would put any defensive midfielder to shame.

I think the progression of him along with Januzaj has been the two major positives of Moyes's run so far.

amolbhatia50k

I don't agree with this at all.

I think Jones will be a nailed on world class player really. Smalling looks like he'll be a pretty good defender but for me Jones is on another level talent wise. I also disagree with people who say that he's only playing as a midfielder because our team lacks quality in the midfield department, I think some of his performances in the midfield would put any defensive midfielder to shame.

I think the progression of him along with Januzaj has been the two major positives of Moyes's run so far.
I think he's got the ability to be a top player, no doubt. He's very complete. I'm just not sure exactly where I see him do that as of yet. I haven't seen a great defender in him yet and I haven't seen a great midfielder in him yet but I've seen a potentially great skillset when taken a whole.

The poster above says that looks like he "lives to defend". I don't think I've ever seen that in jones. He quite frequently looks very sloppy and ad hoc in defence. Very unlike terry and vidic who genuinely seem to be proper defenders. Smalling looks much more like a "born defender" to me, whereas jones is right now a much more complete player.

ArmchairCritic

I think he's got the ability to be a top player, no doubt. He's very complete. I'm just not sure exactly where I see him do that as of yet. I haven't seen a great defender in him yet and I haven't seen a great midfielder in him yet but I've seen a potentially great skillset when taken a whole.

The poster above says that looks like he "lives to defend". I don't think I've ever seen that in jones. He quite frequently looks very sloppy and ad hoc in defence. Very unlike terry and vidic who genuinely seem to be proper defenders. Smalling looks much more like a "born defender" to me, whereas jones is right now a much more complete player.

Jones' issue is he's too aggressive, Vidic would have been proud of a challenge like this

Also this one against Norwich when he held a two on one option before making a challenge was magnificent:

It's pretty pointless to make any sweeping judgements on defenders until they mature but as with Evans you can see Jones has so much to his game. Whilst Smalling is a better pure defender (a la Rio) Jones seems to have more intensity in game (a la Vidic) hence my comparison. How many times do you see Jones flying around to make challenges? Of course he needs to learn how to pick between them but he strikes me as player who will do anything to stop the other team from scoring.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Your definition of a 'complete' player is inconsistent with your verdict on his ability. 'versatile' should be a better choice.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He can tackle, man-mark, pass to a decent degree, drive the ball forward and is very mobile. Scores a goal here and there as well. He's as complete a footballer for his age as there are.

Dante

Average bang
I honestly think Moyes plans to use him as a sweeper, with the fullbacks playing high up to provide the width. I realise it doesn't fit in with the traditional United way, but it'd get the most out of him and the likes of Kagawa/Januzaj too, as there'd be less onus on our attacking midfielders to stay on the touchline.

Shimo

Found it interesting how one of the CBs would go forward and Jones would drop back. Have to think that was something we have worked on as it let us get into the opposing half without trying 50 sideways passes then hoofing it up.

Eric'sCollar

Don't know if Phil will be ready for Hull after delivering presents all around the world. If anyone can though, it will be him.

Annahnomoss

I honestly think Moyes plans to use him as a sweeper, with the fullbacks playing high up to provide the width. I realise it doesn't fit in with the traditional United way, but it'd get the most out of him and the likes of Kagawa/Januzaj too, as there'd be less onus on our attacking midfielders to stay on the touchline.
I also think a Beckenbauer role is the only way to utilize Phil Jones to his full potential. He would then be both an extra man in the midfield and the defense with the freedom to surge forward when he finds good opportunities.

He has made such huge development in such a short time that I wouldn't see it unlikely for him to be able to develop the incredible tactical nous necessary for such a role.

Not saying it would work or not but would be surprised if Moyes was to make such an unorthodox tactical move though as he seems to be of the more orthodox type.

amolbhatia50k

Jones' issue is he's too aggressive, Vidic would have been proud of a challenge like this

Also this one against Norwich when he held a two on one option before making a challenge was magnificent:

It's pretty pointless to make any sweeping judgements on defenders until they mature but as with Evans you can see Jones has so much to his game. Whilst Smalling is a better pure defender (a la Rio) Jones seems to have more intensity in game (a la Vidic) hence my comparison. How many times do you see Jones flying around to make challenges? Of course he needs to learn how to pick between them but he strikes me as player who will do anything to stop the other team from scoring.
He's great at those tackles where the main thing he has to do is cover ground and show commitment. I'm yet to see genuine defensive gifts when it comes to proper defending I.e awareness, composure, anticipation etc. I see more of that in smalling. But he's still very young.

Also, vidic was a very complete defender, a quality "pure" defender. He read the game brilliantly.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's great at those tackles where the main thing he has to do is cover ground and show commitment. I'm yet to see genuine defensive gifts when it comes to proper defending I.e awareness, composure, anticipation etc. I see more of that in smalling. But he's still very young.

Also, vidic was a very complete defender, a quality "pure" defender. He read the game brilliantly.

One of his most improved qualities, IMO. His ability to read dangerous passes from the opposition and just step into them to cut them out is something he has done an awful lot this season. He's made it look easy, like Rio used to do. He's not as headless as he used to be. He seems to have improved the balance between discipline, and just getting stuck in.

Eric'sCollar

Don't know if Phil will be ready for Hull after delivering presents all around the world. If anyone can though, it will be him.
I was wrong. The long sleigh ride was a bit too much. If only they replaced milk and cookies with energy drinks. Next year.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Is it just me or does it seem like all of our players have been picking up either knee or groin injuries? Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.