Phil Jones | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue always red

Moyes to hijack the PA in the 85th minute at 1-0 down and plead "Help me Phil Jones, you're my only hope.". Jones will then rip off his clothes, revealing his United skin. Fearing the wrath of Phil Jones, Mourinho will then sub off Cech so Jones can come on and Jones will play as Chelsea's keeper. We'll then score 10 in the remaining 5 or so minutes.

nemanja15

I've had enough of him in midfield now. He wasn't completely awful today (although what he did for the first goal was comical) but it's clear he's not refined enough to play there against the very best sides. Moyes needs to pull his finger out and sign proper midfielders. I want him to start at CB at every game alongside Evans or Vidic.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He was actually quite good bar that Eto'o goal, not completely fecking useless like Carrick.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He was actually quite good bar that Eto'o goal, not completely fecking useless like Carrick.
I don't know about that, he was careless in possession, his touch was poor, and he generally wasn't winning challenges the way he normally does.

He looked very unfit to me.

ArmchairCritic

I don't know about that, he was careless in possession, his touch was poor, and he generally wasn't winning challenges the way he normally does.

He looked very unfit to me.
Yep, but it has gotten to that stage where trying is enough for me and he was the only one trying to push forward and make things happen.

nemanja15

Carrick had a much better second half than Jones. Agree with Annihilate Now!, the ball bounced off him, he didn't make enough tackles or interceptions and I only ever feel comfortable with him in possession when he passes square.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Rushed back, possibly. Heavy touch, and whilst he huffed and puffed, he looked short of fitness. No fault to him really, as he still put himself about, made some good challenges and dealt with David Luiz's usual bullyboy approach, who seems to get away with murder on a weekly basis.

Bojan11

Not a big fan of throwing players on after being injured for a month or so.

Giggsforever

We are linked with alot of players, but with Nani, Rooney and RVP coming back, I think we could make a great push for fourth if we add one central midfielder.

If I was Moyes, I would not dare to play the rest of the season without adding a quality player in the centre of the park. It would sort out so much of our troubles in attack and defence. As long as we secure a forth, he can think of a left back, covers and all then.

ArmchairCritic

Well he got an assist today half-fit and out of position which is more than Kagawa+Cleverley+Carrick+Young+Giggs have done all season in attacking areas.

ArmchairCritic

It was a shot to be fair!

Still he did well to get into the position.

Sssssh! That's what our midfielders need to do every game to be honest, thing is as we all know Jones isn't quite good enough on the ball to do that consistently himself.

kundalini

I thought he was absolutely awful. I bet Moyes was sat wishing he had selected Fletcher instead.

smallred

I personally think he's very overrated by United fans...No doubt I'll be torn apart for thinking that
most over rated player at the club.

can anybody say he is a better player than when he joined? people say he is young and of course that is true, but his lack of improvement and development is very startling.

Zen86

most over rated player at the club.

can anybody say he is a better player than when he joined? people say he is young and of course that is true, but his lack of improvement and development is very startling.
Not surprising if he's been played across half the pitch since he joined.

Take any young defender learning his trade, throw him into midfield on a regular basis and you'll more than likely end up with another Phil Jones.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He needs a run of games at centre back. He's definitely not a right back, and I'm very glad he's no longer playing there any more. I think he's done some good jobs in midfield sometimes, but he's a defender, and needs to play there. I don't think we'll see the best of him until he plays in his natural position.

Chabon

He's been largely very good in midfield this season, not sure why people have suddenly taken against hi...oh wait, he missed a penalty.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's been largely very good in midfield this season, not sure why people have suddenly taken against hi...oh wait, he missed a penalty.
Seriously. It seems like only a few weeks ago he was one of the first names on the team sheet according to most posters. Now he's overrated, unable to play in midfield, and apparently hasn't gotten any better from when he joined United.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
Has nothing to do with the penalty, he just doesnt suit RB and is not a lot better in midfield. He runs around like a chicken on smack, horrible first touch, not great at passing.
As i said i presume he was bought based on his performances as a CB at Blackburn in which case its time to play him there for a few games as the longer he gets fecked about the harder it will become for him to establish himself.

smallred

nothing to do with the penalty...he was brutal against chelsea and again last night.

him playing in midfield is a spoiling, negative tactic. part of the reason our football has decreased so dramatically in the last few seasons is limited players like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.