Phil Jones | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Thought he had a decent game today. Looked solid throughout most of the game. Had a few heavy touches which is probably understandable after being out for a while. All in all I thought he done well, though.

Loved the tackle he put on Anichebe at the end. Epitomizes Phil 'the power' Jones.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Really hoping he can stay fit until the end of the season and put a run of games together at CB.

Next year will be huge for him.

Gannicus

Phil was a bit ragged around the edges but overall he looked good. If he can get in 3-4 games straight at CB without suffering another injury he'll put in sensational performances thereafter.

GA-RON-TEED

Bebe

Only thing I'm worried about is how easily Anichebe kept the ball, turned with it, outmuscled both him and Smalling and he looked pretty good for a shite player. Don't want to sound stupid but we need some more physicality from our CBs, 'need to bulk up' basically :nervous:
To be fair, Anichebe does that to a lot of defenders. He's just such a thick bastard.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Some of his crunching tackles were fantastic to see while being scary at the same time. Could have given away dangerous freekicks or penalties but got it right almost every time.

Amir

To be fair, Anichebe does that to a lot of defenders. He's just such a thick bastard.
Yeah, I mean, when it your one redeeming quality and the only think keeping you in the Premier League, it's not that illogical that you'll be able to do that against quality defenders. Since you won't be able to do much else.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You have to admire his complete disregard for his own personal safety...

Also, how hard is his head?!

LLMU

One thing about Jones is that when he goes in hard like this, he is always getting the ball. This shows good timing and anticipation.

Eric'sCollar

One thing about Jones is that when he goes in hard like this, he is always getting the ball. This shows good timing and anticipation.
It's great to see. There is no real dirty side to the challenges, it's just old fashioned ball and all.

Eric'sCollar

Thing is, if Jones plays in midfield, it forces one of Rooney or RVP to the bench in my opinion. That's assuming a 3 man midfield.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Next to Carrick or Fellaini or both in a 3-man midfield?
I'd absolutely play him in the 3 man midfield with Fellaini and Carrick. I think that Vidić / Evans could jump into CB for that one game and we'd be very sound in the midfield.

Not like having Rooney and RVP starting will do wonders goals-wise but that's most likely the scenario we're going to see, bleh.

ricky-romeo

Some of his crunching tackles were fantastic to see while being scary at the same time. Could have given away dangerous freekicks or penalties but got it right almost every time.
scary because he could easily injured himself, which has been the case for a few times already. but he is a fantastic hardcore toughie player to have, without a doubt our new vidic.

definitely future united and england captain material.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Important Update

Further to the megathreads announcement, this megathread has been renamed and should be confined to discussing Phil Jones's performances this season. For any other discussions about Phil Jones, please bump or create separate threads.

Thanks!

Melvyn

prostate examiner
I only watched the second half, but he won basically every header in that 45 minutes.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Started nervously but despite getting beat by Campbell that time i thought he was great. Should start imo.

mufcwarm92

Couple of dodgy moments in the first half but grew into it and was a fecking titan by the end of it.

Rossa

Thought he was great considering Rio decided to do feck all tonight.
Except that Rio covered his arse a few times you mean? Rio did things without much fuss. Kept the ball well, read the game and covered for both Rafael and Jones a few times. I thought they played very well together. Jones is great in the air - he isn't the tallest centre back either, is he?

Lu Tze

Except that Rio covered his arse a few times you mean? Rio did things without much fuss. Kept the ball well, read the game and covered for both Rafael and Jones a few times. I thought they played very well together. Jones is great in the air - he isn't the tallest centre back either, is he?
About 6ft/6 ft 1.

Rossa

About 6ft/6 ft 1.
OK, so neither tall nor small. I tend to think that an inch or two more is ideal, but if he can compensate with timing and a good leap then that's enough. Nesta, Maldini, Cannavaro weren't huge players, but decent enough. Puyol can't be taller, and he was amazing in the air.

Get In Scholesy

Very good in the air tonight, his performance was not excellent, but those are the type of games we have come to accept from Man United defenders. If you don't have an outstanding match personally, at please provide solidity and composure - which I thought he did well to provide - as well as keep a clean sheet. Did his job well tonight, deserves some credit.

Ekeke

Did very well next to Rio "I'll just back off another 5 yards and let the other guy do all the defending" Ferdinand. Wasn't faultless by any means but did a good job.

jamesblonde

As mentioned already Rio bailed him out a few times.
They also always attacked down his and Evra's side - both of them caught out many times, positionally and in one-on-ones.
He's very raw and will get killed against somebody like Barca. Hope to see Smalling back. Rio was class today.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
About 6ft/6 ft 1.
5ft 11

Status
Not open for further replies.