Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TehRed

He's doing well alongside Bailly. Those two are my starting centre-back pair for the moment.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Still maintain he is a quality defender. He just needs to stay fit. Hopefully he has a miracle and is able to. He was great last season during his run with Rojo.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
He's doing well alongside Bailly. Those two are my starting centre-back pair for the moment.
Me too. All things standing, we'll start the season with them.

Sylar

When he stays fit consistently, hes good for us. His partnership with Rojo was enjoyable last season. He did well with bailly too. But when he plays you just keep thinking 'when is he going to get injured?'

el3mel

Very good game today. The problem is if he keeps his consistency or not, not him performing well now or not I believe. I said earlier he can be a beast in one game and terrible in the next one. He has the abilities to be a beast, but he needs to be this consistently.

Robertd0803

He was pretty good last night vs Madrid. Has never really been his issue being a decent defender though the fitness and consistency has been.

CG1010

Same. He is about that age when Vidic joined us. So there's still time for a turnaround and be a mainstay CB for us for years. He mainly has to remain injury free for that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't think he gets enough credit for his recovery speed. He really is lightening quick when he needs to be. There was an incident last night where he gave away a 2m head start and still beat the Madrid player in a footrace over 10m. Seriously impressive.

togg

I don't think he gets enough credit for his recovery speed. He really is lightening quick when he needs to be. There was an incident last night where he gave away a 2m head start and still beat the Madrid player in a footrace over 10m. Seriously impressive.
If he can stay clear and not add to his rather frustrating injury list this could be a very good season for him. I get the feeling Mourinho really likes him and appreciates his attitude in playing for United.

Walters_19_MuFc

I get the feeling Jose really likes Jones, and when he was fit last season, he did really well. He normally does. The issue is staying fit, which I guess is why Mourinho bought Lindelof.

Jaybomb

Can't believe I'm hearing this honestly.

Jones and Smalling should feck off out of our club. No "decent performances" will make me ever think they can keep it up and become world beaters.

We have Lindelof, Rojo, Bailly and if we need back up we can give the minutes to Blind, Tuanzebe and TFM.

If a bid over 15m comes in for them, get rid.

automaticflare

Has the talent and is an out and out defender.
It's the constant injuries that have stopped him being first choice center back here.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Not sure if same one but there was also a very impressive one which ended up being called offside anyway. I just hope he can somehow have a miracle fitness wise and get over it. Smalling has gotten a lot better at staying injury free so hopefully Jones can do the same.

There is no need to sell Smalling or Jones for me, it would actually be stupid to sell either.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not sure if same one but there was also a very impressive one which ended up being called offside anyway. I just hope he can somehow have a miracle fitness wise and get over it. Smalling has gotten a lot better at staying injury free so hopefully Jones can do the same.

There is no need to sell Smalling or Jones for me, it would actually be stupid to sell either.
That's the one. The 2m head-start I referred to was exactly how far he was offside!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Jones and Smalling should feck off out of our club. No "decent performances" will make me ever think they can keep it up and become world beaters.

We have Lindelof, Rojo, Bailly and if we need back up we can give the minutes to Blind, Tuanzebe and TFM.

Jesus H Christ.

Jaybomb

Jesus H Christ.
There's no other way to put it really. I felt the same way about Cleverley and Welbeck.

I want United to be dominant again and no team with Jones and Smalling at the back is ever going to be dominant. That is a fact.

izec

There's no other way to put it really. I felt the same way about Cleverley and Welbeck.

I want United to be dominant again and no team with Jones and Smalling at the back is ever going to be dominant. That is a fact.
Smalling no, a fit Jones with a good momentum maybe.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Jones is a really solid defender with not a lot of mistakes in him. Some people still think he is the same defender he was in 2012.

Dazzmondo

Lindelof hasn't shown that he's ready to start for us at all yet and Rojo is out until Dec/Jan

Stactix

Jones is a pretty good defender when he's not injured, Smalling I don't like simply because he's quite possibly the worst player on the ball I've ever seen, defensively apart from his positioning he's actually pretty good.

Going into the season with Lindelof/ Bailly & back ups is suicide. Firstly Lindelof is new to the club hasn't exactly impressed in preseason so far.
Secondly have you not been around for X amount of seasons where it's been a fecking pandemic in regards to injuries?
Rojo is injured until xmas/Jan. Blind is a solid back up but can be caught out with pace / height. Tuanzebe is not ready yet same with Fosuh who is most likely going to be playing RB/ Midfield. So going into the season with 3 defenders 1 of which isn't a CB and 2 youth players 1 of which isn't a CB is a brillant fecking idea.

Also, no guarantees bailly / Lindelof will become worldbeaters either. Jones isn't much older and hasn't put many steps wrong bar getting injured all the fecking time.

FromTheBench

Was our best Cb so far in pre season. Hope he can stay fit.

Should have Baily and Jones 1st choice right now.

kundalini

Agree with that.

Only thing I hate about Jones is his complete lack of confidence playing the ball forwards.

Walters_19_MuFc

Glad someone bumped this. Was about to say the same thing. Think he's been terrific. Seems to be improving on the ball too.

peridigm

Based on Jose's post match comments it appears Lindelof and Smalling will be the pair for Super Cup. I'd argue it should be Jones instead of one or the other. Have we seen Lindelof and Jones pair up yet?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Completely this. Jones and Bailly is our best pairing currently. Expect Lindelof to push for that once he's settled.

AbstruseAlan

Seems much more composed on the ball lately. Nice turn today too when Romero played it to him under pressure on the edge of our area. Definitely think him and Bailly are our strongest partnership at the minute.

savais

Bit curious about Jose's post match comments. He mentioned in a few days we would understand why he played Smalling and Lindelof as a pair. He stated Bailly is suspended. But still mention we would understand later why he chose this pair to start. Sounds ominously like Jones will be leaving. Or am I reading too much into it?

RikRuud

Bit curious about Jose's post match comments. He mentioned in a few days we would understand why he played Smalling and Lindelof as a pair. He stated Bailly is suspended. But still mention we would understand later why he chose this pair to start. Sounds ominously like Jones will be leaving. Or am I reading too much into it?
Maybe because Smalling has one of the worst distributions of the ball for a modern CB? Where as Lindelof is very good on the ball. Smallings height for aerial duels compliments Lindelof. I see similar traits in Jones' qualities when compare with Lindelof. Jones has been very good this pre season though.

savais

Jose's comments:
I think we will understand the reason in a couple of days. [Eric] Bailly is suspended for the first two matches in Europe as you know, and in the next couple of days you will have the understanding of why I am playing [Victor] Lindelof and [Chris] Smalling.

He already mentions Bailly being suspended...and then says in the next couple of days you will understand...

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Jones is the best centre back at the club. I don't mind if some put Bailly above him. But he's head and shoulders above Smalling and Rojo. Jury is out on Lindelof but I still wouldn't have him as being better.

His problem is staying fit. That's it.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Jones started 18 out of 19 PL matches when he was available last season - the only exception was the middle one of 3 matches in 8 days at Xmas. Safe to say that Jose likes him.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He's better on the left of the back 2, he had a decent run there under LVG circa 2015.

He's looked like John Terry in the first half to me; he kept the ball moving nice and simply, made a few decent interceptions. He's always got a bit too giddy in chasing the ball, but if Jose can instill some positional and decisional intelligence, and his body hold up, he will be widely accepted as England's best defender by the World Cup.

He's taken a lot of abuse in the post-Ferguson wilderness, but he really does have a lot of class once he's got some continuity.

Paul_Scholes18

Looked good today again although had not very much to do. I think him and Bailly should start the season together.

Status
Not open for further replies.