Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irrational.

Solid next to Bailly.

Our first team CB partnership?

Really hope he can steer clear of injuries, he deserves a break in his career.

TsuWave

Good performance. He's been around so long its easy to forget he's only 25, and that's still pretty young, with a break from injuries could still end up having a really great career with us.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Don't think many doubt his ability, he can just never stay fit long enough. Which is a surprise with that challenge he made on the half way line :lol:

Camilo

Was utterly solid today. Always talking, always pointing, committed defending and really calm on the ball and on the end of high balls.

He's seen it all and has twice as much experience as any other CB in the world (probably) at the top level - just keep fit and let the good decisions continue.

Devil may care

I thought he was the best of the back 4 today, he's very front foot in his approach which isn't ideal with Bailly as he's the same, but if he can stay fit he'll get plenty of games.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm not really a fan of Jones, but he was our best central defender during the pre-season and he continued that form today. Deserves to remain first choice for now. The question is whether he can maintain it, both in regards to form and also fitness.

Alabaster Codify7

No point in getting our hopes up, he'll be injured by September if not before. I strongly suspect Bailly/Smalling will be our first choice pairing when Jones inevitably crocks it again.

He was good today, though.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
The better CB today. Think this could be the season where he finally shows everyone how good he actually is.

FromTheBench

He has been good for a while now. It is the constant injuries that deny him the recognition.

Yeah,he may have a error here and there sporadically but everyone does. Gets highlighted more due to injuries and previous reputation.

Fracture90

Can't help it, I love our Jonesy! There's no doubt the quality is there, just hope he can stay fit.

He's been very good with pretty much everyone he's been paired with.

DeOddi

Has always been a case of "if" he stays fit he can be a very good player for us. Just a shame he rarely does. Certainly won´t get my hopes up again.

Apart from that i think Jones and Bailly really help our offensive game with their ability to win the ball early. Gives us so much space and opportunities for counter-attacks.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
I suppose the best you can say about the "haters" who can't wait to get rid of players like Jones (and Smalling) is that they are passionate and due their opinion reglardless of the validity.
Jones was excellent today. Aggressive yet under control. He's forging a really solid relationship with Bailly. Let us not forget the times he has strung a number of consecutive games together and put in solid performances over the years, only to go down clutching a leg and going missing. Hopefully he's learned from previous mistakes and really make his mark this time. At the risk of sounding repetitive, as long as he stays away from the long-term injury, he may make it very difficult for Lindelof, Smalling or Rojo get anymore than the odd match.

Last edited:

pseudo_canadian

We all know that Phil is a naturally great defender - and he proved it once again today.

The real issue is his health. I really hope his history with injuries is in the past.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
When fit, England's best centre back.

I'm really hoping this can be his year. With some you can just see they aren't top level, Jones is for my money and for him to be denied a good career by injury would be a damn shame.

Art

Art the artist
Jonesy becomes Beckenbauer for a handful of times every season. Today was one. He was immense at the back.

InfiniteBoredom

4 Utd managers in a row have had Jones in the first XI when fit.

Been banging that drum for years. He's twice the footballer Smalling is, it's his fitness that is even worse than the latter.

Hope he has finally turned his luck, not likely though.

Hope he can string a few games together. He's our best partner for Bailly when fit and settled. He has a few shockers especially when he's fresh from injury, ie almost always, but he's a much more natural footballer than Smalling.

Lj82

Good game from Jones but boy did he give me a real scare when he went in for the tackle when Valencia had already won the ball. Thought for a moment that he was going to injure our captain. :lol:

NoPace

I'm not really a fan of Jones, but he was our best central defender during the pre-season and he continued that form today. Deserves to remain first choice for now. The question is whether he can maintain it, both in regards to form and also fitness.
Same for me. I think he often looks okay personally but somehow the backline is still shakier with him in it. But he had an excellent pre-season and he's okay on the ball unlike Smalling (who I still prefer defensively), so hard to argue with him being first choice for now.

Mercurial

Phil just admitted on the US interview that they practiced the setup yesterday that led to Lukaku's second goal.
I noticed that one too, Mourinho points and they exchange some back and forth, then when the ball goes in, Mourinho walks back to the coaching staff like he got away with highway robbery. Great moment! He was solid yesterday!

Robbie Boy

He had an underrated season last year imo, was very solid up until his injury. I think he can still be a big player for us in the future.
Did he? From what I remember, the praise for him and Rojo was pretty unanimous after they had several good performances together. A hell of a lot of people, myself included, were won over by some of his performances last season. Unfortunately, as is always the case with Jones, it was injuries that fecked him over once again. If he managed to somehow stay fit for the whole season, I feel he would become a very highly rated player indeed.

WoodysWallet

I'm praying he stays fit now. He can be rash at times, but he does get it right on most occasions. No nonsense display from him yesterday.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I noticed that one too, Mourinho points and they exchange some back and forth, then when the ball goes in, Mourinho walks back to the coaching staff like he got away with highway robbery. Great moment! He was solid yesterday!
@GifLord do you have that moment? Sounds iconic

Frank Grimes

Did he? From what I remember, the praise for him and Rojo was pretty unanimous after they had several good performances together. A hell of a lot of people, myself included, were won over by some of his performances last season. Unfortunately, as is always the case with Jones, it was injuries that fecked him over once again. If he managed to somehow stay fit for the whole season, I feel he would become a very highly rated player indeed.
By underrated I mean generally from his mark out of ten average on the caf. I'm sure some people noticed he'd played well.

MkPaul

learnt from the best
He is a fantastic defender, another really good performance from him today. If he can stay fit and get rid of his brain fart moments, we've got a great player on our hands besides big Eric. It's often those brain fart moments that cause him to get injured tbh, going balls in to a 50/50 challenge that doesn't need to be won.

Robbie Boy

By underrated I mean generally from his mark out of ten average on the caf. I'm sure some people noticed he'd played well.
Fair enough, I personally don't look at the ratings on here as they always seem pretty low for everyone. But his performance thread from last season was full of a-lot of praise and the usual disgruntlement over his chronic injury problems.

ColvaleGoa

I thought he had done himself some harm when he went in typical Phil Jones style in first half. Thought he is not getting up now..But he did and went on to have a great game. Keep it up Jonesy!

Obiorahking_

He can be world class if he can continue to have great performances like that both here and in the CL

Status
Not open for further replies.