Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I enjoyed his imitation of a Phil Jones tackle... just needed to injure himself/his teammate/ their player/ a fan for it to have been the real thing

ZAGREB RED

Don't think there is much doubt that properly fit and on form he is an asset, but obviously his injuries are the main problem along with the way he throws himself into challenges at times which leads to self-inflicted injuries. I'm sure I read somehwere that Mourinho is said to have told Jones he could be United's version of John Terry - I'm sure he is talking about on the field not off it though - but the injuries will always be a worry unless he manages to stay fit.
If the injuries become a thing of the past, his composure might improve also as he no longer needs to commit to crazy challenges if he is playing with an injury which affects his pace and recovery. When both are fully fit and on form, he is the better of the two from him and Smalling.

InfiniteBoredom

One thing i noticed yesterday, he is very quick for a center back.
Watch his performance against Spurs at home in his debut season. Matching Bale stride for stride to make a tackle inside the box. He's rapid, only sluggish and heavy footed when coming back from an injury (which is quite often).

Ashley R1+O

Superb performance. @GifLord can you gif that insane challenge at around the 24th minute mark. He took out the WHam player and his own player running back (Valencia/Eric I think). So Jonesian.

Green_Red

He did well yesterday, put in the type of performance that shows why I rank him above Smalling. Injuries are a big issue with him though. Hopefully he gets a full season in this year...

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Watch his performance against Spurs at home in his debut season. Matching Bale stride for stride to make a tackle inside the box. He's rapid, only sluggish and heavy footed when coming back from an injury (which is quite often).

CG1010

A question: when was the last time he got injured due to a reckless tackle in a match?

IhabX7

As many have said, if he keeps fit he is an excellent defender. I'd easily take him over Smalling. Easily.
Smalling is also very good. They both need Bailly beside them, who is, in my mind, without doubt our best defender.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Bailly and Jones looks like the centre-back 'pairing of choice' now, but its all about injuries with Jones, it might become the same with Eric, both at times have that 'kamikaze' urge when tackling.
Jones was like an 'exocet' missile at times yesterday, took out the opposition and one of ours as well.

It reminded me of Harry Gregg's days in goal, after he got so called 'shoulder-charged by Nat Lofthouse (1958 FA Cup final) Harry was determined it wouldn't happen again and he would come out for a ball and clear everyone, opposition and his own players. Billy Foulkes (our centre half) got more bruises from Harry than he did from the opposition............... sorry forgive me, I've got my 'rabbling old man head on' today

Smores

Haven't got a clue who will start at the back for us at the moment. They both played well but i can easily see Jose deciding to change it up next game.

A Jones fit for even 80% of the season would be a huge boost

IhabX7

Smalling is a good defender but he just makes me nervous. There's always a mistake in him waiting to happen, and it's like he shits himself when in possession of the ball.
His facial expressions are in a constant state of worry as well. His very best (start of LVG era) was quite a bit better than Jones has ever shown for United, and that was not a short period.

arthurka

Our team is so full of big guys many times yesterday he didn´t even push up for corners and set pieces. He was great yesterday.. Ball playing and aggressive something Smalling isn´t.
Hope he stays injury free this time around..

Robertd0803

Can anybody post a gif of his tackle when he tackled one of ours, west ham players and himself at the same time :lol:
And still got the ball :lol: I thought he was very good yesterday the only thing is how long can he stay fit for. You could repeat this ad nauseam after every decent game he has unfortunately.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When fit he is very good CB. Shame about his injury record.

He is getting his confidence back, he is showing some confidence on the ball too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Our team is so full of big guys many times yesterday he didn´t even push up for corners and set pieces. He was great yesterday.. Ball playing and aggressive something Smalling isn´t.
Hope he stays injury free this time around..
he stopped going for set pieces long back, maybe something to do with injuries.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Phil Jones when fully fit was always a more than adequate defender. No surprise really.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Was utterly solid today. Always talking, always pointing, committed defending and really calm on the ball and on the end of high balls.

He's seen it all and has twice as much experience as any other CB in the world (probably) at the top level - just keep fit and let the good decisions continue.
Come again?

Tiber

Would love to see him stay healthy and locked down a starting spot

Inebriated bison

Jones was solid yesterday. When he's at his best he's got everything you want in a centre back. He's quick, strong, aggressive, brave, good in the air, good at reading the game and he could injure anyone who goes near him, which must put some of the mentally weak players off going in for challenges with him.

There was a moment yesterday when Hernandez had the ball near the corner and Jones was behind him anticipating everything Hernandez was trying to do. And you just knew Hernandez was not going to turn him or pass to a team mate. He didn't stand a chance.

If he can stay fit all season and be as solid as yesterday it will be like having a new signing. Hopefully all his injury problems are behind him and he can become uniteds best player ever (that's what SAF said wasn't it?)

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
:lol:

I still remember that. I remember Jones starting out as a meandering RB for us and he looked very promising in that position for a period of time.
He absolutely destroyed Chelsea and Bolton from RB in that season. It's easy to forget now but he was genuinely good no matter where he played in his first season.

AP88

Supports
Man City
I've said it before: Ferguson, Capello and now Mourinho can't all be wrong about him.

Capello compared him to Baresi, and people still laugh, but that's because they probably didn't actually watch Baresi play and imagine him to be a graceful Scirea/Beckenbauer-type libero....which is completely wrong.

He was a tough-tackling, intense, rugged beast of a player who charged forward decisively with purpose and simplicity; Jones circa 2012 was partial to such rampaging runs forward, and even now when he does step out with the ball it's justified. Baresi loved to defend, in the same way Jones does, and similarly used to take a physical beating as a result.

Jones is actually a better footballer in that regard than John Stones; he is far more efficient with the ball and his carrying of it upfield. Stones does Cruyff turns and has this really annoying habit of jogging 20 yards out of defence with the ball unchallenged, only to pass it 5 yards sideways; that's not a sweeper, it's a peacock and a liability on the counter.

I'm not saying he'll ever be Baresi, but not many will, especially in the Premier League; what he can be is a very accomplished, effective, complete defender and a mainstay of United defence for another half decade at least. When he's available, he starts for Mourinho; that says it all.

It's annoying that the fellas who put together the individual match compilations never seem to do any of Jones; I think if there were more accessible people would see how good he actually is.

AdNani

Please, please stay fit. Him and Bailly is an excellent pairing. Jones was excellent on Sunday.

Dante

Average bang
I've said it before: Ferguson, Capello and now Mourinho can't all be wrong about him.

Capello compared him to Baresi, and people still laugh, but that's because they probably didn't actually watch Baresi play and imagine him to be a graceful Scirea/Beckenbauer-type libero....which is completely wrong.

He was a tough-tackling, intense, rugged beast of a player who charged forward decisively with purpose and simplicity; Jones circa 2012 was partial to such rampaging runs forward, and even now when he does step out with the ball it's justified. Baresi loved to defend, in the same way Jones does, and similarly used to take a physical beating as a result.

Jones is actually a better footballer in that regard than John Stones; he is far more efficient with the ball and his carrying of it upfield. Stones does Cruyff turns and has this really annoying habit of jogging 20 yards out of defence with the ball unchallenged, only to pass it 5 yards sideways; that's not a sweeper, it's a peacock and a liability on the counter.

I'm not saying he'll ever be Baresi, but not many will, especially in the Premier League; what he can be is a very accomplished, effective, complete defender and a mainstay of United defence for another half decade at least. When he's available, he starts for Mourinho; that says it all.

It's annoying that the fellas who put together the individual match compilations never seem to do any of Jones; I think if there were more accessible people would see how good he actually is.
I've made this point numerous times on the Caf.

Arguably the 3 best defences of the last 30 years were made by Fergie, Capello and Mourinho. And all of them love(d) Jones. When I see people fail to rate him, I can't help but question their ability to judge talent.

Disagreeing with managers is what this forum is about. But disagreeing with three of the best defensive coaches in history, when all of them share the same opinion... that should tell you something about how valid your own might be.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

To be fair, I don't think the problem with Jones has ever been over whether he's got any talent, or as to whether he's got the potential to be good enough. When we signed him we new he was a very good emerging talent.

The problem's always been issues such as fitness, and ironing out the rashness in his game that was often present. Naturally, when he wasn't able to play consistently due to injury, improvement was always going to be partly limited.

Mercurial

@GifLord do you have that moment? Sounds iconic
It's during the after talks on NBC-SN with Jones that they show the full sequence. Jones is such a stand-up guy, he gave a sympathetic interview, very likeable, the clip would indeed be iconic, they had a mischievous plan that locked in perfectly! @GifLord

AP88

Supports
Man City
You only noticed that yesterday?!

That's Gareth Bale, by the way. Playing for Spurs.
Note how much smaller he was then; I think he had a freak growth spurt circa 2012/13, and that's probably played a big part in his injury issues since. His coordination did seem to go tits up around that time as well....

He needs to take inspiration from Sergio Ramos, who's really curbed his impulsive, chaotic nature and become an immense central defender as a result; if Jones learns when to impose his physicality and gets into the habit of defending primarily with his brain, he can become one of the very best in Europe.

Grande

Bailly and Jones looks like the centre-back 'pairing of choice' now, but its all about injuries with Jones, it might become the same with Eric, both at times have that 'kamikaze' urge when tackling.
Jones was like an 'exocet' missile at times yesterday, took out the opposition and one of ours as well.

It reminded me of Harry Gregg's days in goal, after he got so called 'shoulder-charged by Nat Lofthouse (1958 FA Cup final) Harry was determined it wouldn't happen again and he would come out for a ball and clear everyone, opposition and his own players. Billy Foulkes (our centre half) got more bruises from Harry than he did from the opposition............... sorry forgive me, I've got my 'rabbling old man head on' today
:D Brilliant story!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Most of our CBs are very fast. Jones is similar to Smalling in that his top speed is fantastic but he takes a yard or two to get there. The likes of Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, and Bailly have acceleration to burn. Haven't really seen much of Lindelof to judge, and Rojo is hardly slow.

Robbie Boy

I think because of his physique, there's a misconception that he's slow and cumbersome but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Marcelinho87

Last year he had a spell in the side alongside Rojo and they looked very good together. I like Jones and rate him far higher than Smalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.