Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

. What he is good at is recovery tackles after he makes a mistake, which I personally feel clouds peoples opinions because that is all they remember is him making a last ditch recovery. They forget the reason he is doing that is because he already screwed up.
I agree with this. Especially CBs are praised if they play tough with violent tackles, but it is really the CBs who don’t need to make last second tackles who should be praised.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fecking fuming that a pro thinks it's ok to use his right leg in that situation.
Idiot.

gza the genius

He's equally capable of playing great or playing like he did tonight. He's good enough as back up but with performances like tonight and with his injury record in mind he very clearly shouldn't be relied on.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
OG's happen and normally you just accept it and move on, but this was an atrocious error.

He was under no immediate pressure. I mean, yes he had to deal with the ball, but he was in space, without a Spurs player on top of him. He could have thrown his left at it. He could have taken a touch, but to get tangled in himself while trying to fire his right at it and turn it past De Gea is a very, very bad error.

He's rarely fit, he's prone to errors. He does occasionally go through a patch of form and fitness where he looks a decent player. But it's not enough. He needs to be replaced. And so does Smalling.

Giggs86

I'm speechless. How did that clown survive under four different managers? He is utterly out of his depth and today's performance was unacceptable.
And I don't buy that it was a "brainfart", it wasn't. he simply doesn't have a brain. Fecking goof.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Terrible game but he will bounce back. He's had a great season. He's not shit, not clumsy, etc. I know everyone is fuming and the own goal was comical but losing a header to Kane happens.

Everyone bar Valencia, Sanchez and DDG were bad.

ThaReaper01

Lost the header for the first goal but I blame Young more than him. As Spurs flooded players into the box, he stood and watched. Smalling got dragged out of position to cover whoever’s run and Eriksen was all alone. Can’t lose that header under any circumstance but not all his fault.

OG was also quite poor but I didn’t think he was run ragged by any means. Spurs didn’t do a whole lot today. Tons of pot shots that skied over the bar. When they did try to play, Smalling and Jones more or less mopped up.

Below par game but still a good Center half with potential to be even better.

ash_86

He is not that good. Game after game i see posters saying that he's been good, but sorry i don't see it. He along with smalling is a very messy player with the ball at their feet, looses many of the headers and is not composed defender. He was the culprit for both the goals today and it should have been three when he didn't pick out Dier , who failed to test keeper 5 yards out. Looks like we need atleast 2 defenders.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
If we shipped players out based on the Caf's reactionary feelings after a loss DDG would literally be playing by himself.

Jones has had a great season so far. Made a couple of mistakes in one that resulted in goals. That is not going to happen again. He makes last gasp potential goal saving tackles ten times more often that howlers that costs us a goal.

The funny thing with Jones is when he does feck up he does look like a clumsy donkey.

Swift Football

neither Smalling nor Jones is top class, yet they are better than Rojo and LIndelof. Baily is injured too many times and I am yet to be sold on him either.

Is there a thread where we can discuss probable center halves transfer. I have heard good things about Hanover's Sane.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You guys are just the worst. Guy has one bad game and the whole mood turns. He’s been arguably the best CB in the league this season. This place is so depressingly predictable.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You guys are just the worst. Guy has one bad game and the whole mood turns. He’s been arguably the best CB in the league this season. This place is so depressingly predictable.
Agreed. What hope does he and the rest of the defence have when the system leaves 4 spurs players running at our back 4 with the ball (though Young was constantly caught out of position so it was Matic dropping and trying to cover the midfield). There was no midfield base covering the defence at all, slowing down Spurs' attack, and they just waltzed right through the middle every time. Obviously we had a big feck up for the first goal and he got his feet tangled up for the 2nd, and sometimes you can't account for that. But the rest of the game was a mess as well, not just those 2 moments which are sometimes out of your control. The rest of the game they struggled because of the shit system.

AP88

Supports
Man City
If we shipped players out based on the Caf's reactionary feelings after a loss DDG would literally be playing by himself.

Jones has had a great season so far. Made a couple of mistakes in one that resulted in goals. That is not going to happen again. He makes last gasp potential goal saving tackles ten times more often that howlers that costs us a goal.

The funny thing with Jones is when he does feck up he does look like a clumsy donkey.
I rate him and have advocated him being given a run over a long period, and been largely vindicated in that....but amateurish errors like that, Stoke and Chelsea make it hard to defend him. Reminds me a lot of Richard Dunne; big, deceptively quick, sometimes a colossus....but when he’s bad, he’s hilariously bad.

Harry Maguire looks a solid replacement next season; seems to have a bit more intelligence to his game.

InfiniteBoredom

I wonder if people had the same reaction when Vidic got sent off by Torres.

Shit happens, he'll learn from it. Of course it's never easy to lose a game like that but on the whole scheme of thing with Chelsea losing we aren't worse off, so why freak out? We aren't catching City this season.

Mr Smith

I think people are being harsh on him. He made a terrible mistake (arguably two) that cost us the game, but defenders make mistakes. No defender is flawless. And he actually didn't play that badly outside of the first 10 seconds and the own goal. Both he and Smalling were terribly exposed by our midfield (or lack of). He should be criticised for the mistakes, but calling for him to be dropped or concluding that he's no longer good enough for us is OTT. He's a good player who had a bad day at the office.

ti vu

While he has great ceiling and his injury is bad luck not his fault, if we aim to be the best, shunt him out of the plan to become our long term starter may need to be considered. Ironing out all these brain farce needs time and Jones fitness means he is unlikely ever be able to as he doesn't stay fit enough. We as a team already invested heavy so to lest the Arsenal situation we need to try to complete the team to push for the trophies as soon as possible.

RooneyLegend

Time to call time on this one. Terrible under the high ball, just not so great defensive awareness. He does put it all out there though which is more than you can say about a lot of our players but honestly, this experiment has just run its course.

prateik

One poor game and the idiots are out with their pitchforks.
He has been our best defender for almost a year now. He still is.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Time to call time on this one. Terrible under the high ball, just not so great defensive awareness. He does put it all out there though which is more than you can say about a lot of our players but honestly, this experiment has just run its course.
Because he had one bad game?

roonster09

Scout
I rate him and have advocated him being given a run over a long period, and been largely vindicated in that....but amateurish errors like that, Stoke and Chelsea make it hard to defend him. Reminds me a lot of Richard Dunne; big, deceptively quick, sometimes a colossus....but when he’s bad, he’s hilariously bad.

Harry Maguire looks a solid replacement next season; seems to have a bit more intelligence to his game.
Eh? Did you miss Maguire's mistake this season?

roonster09

Scout
No, because he's poor in the air and has poor defensive awareness.
He doesn't have poor defensive awareness, he had a mare yesterday that's it.

So a player who wins 68% of aerial duels is poor in air? So much knee jerk after 1 game.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I've never been his biggest fan, but he has been good this season. Absolutely terrible in this match though. Not only did he lose the header for the first goal, he then stood and watched instead of trying to get back to help (Young was even worse at this). Of course the own goal. He also lost his man from a freekick who had a decent headed chance at goal, and got embarrassingly pushed over from Kane to create another good chance. All in the first half.

He had a mare and it's not the first time unfortunately. He's a very good defender overall but he has these games where he looks like he's won a raffle to play with his heroes. We cant rely on a player like that for a full season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No, because he's poor in the air and has poor defensive awareness.
If he's poor in the air, I'd hate to know what you think of our other defenders. Jones is probably our second best after Smalling.

Jones certainly isn't 'good' in the air, but I wouldn't say he's poor either.

That's a key issue we have at the moment. Other than Smalling, all our other defenders are at best average in the air, and some are flat out poor.

RooneyLegend

He doesn't have poor defensive awareness, he had a mare yesterday that's it.

So a player who wins 68% of aerial duels is poor in air? So much knee jerk after 1 game.
Keep your stats, i'll use my eyes. He gets lost under the high ball which means he wont be in the duel in the first place to win it. Im amazed you think he's only had one poor game.

roonster09

Scout
Keep your stats, i'll use my eyes. He gets lost under the high ball which means he wont be in the duel in the first place to win it. Im amazed you think he's only had one poor game.
:lol:

So he lost header against Kane, so yeah he is poor under high balls even when stats tell he wins 68% aerial duels which might put him among the best in the league.

Yeah at max 2 including Stoke where he slipped and a mistake for goal. Such a shame there aren't any perfect CBs in the world.

The Hacker

He isnt united quality. He had a good first season, but that’s it. When all our CDs are fit he has to be at the back of the pack because of how calamatous he is! I’ve said it for a few years now, he’s an accident waiting to happen and makes the rest of the defence nervous. He needs to go if we have any chance of winning anything of note.

Alan Partridge

I honestly think he would be world class if he wasn't such an idiot at times. Gary Neville summed it up at half time - he's rash. He panics. This is why he injures himself a lot, diving in rashly, and this is why he'll always have stupid mistakes in his locker. Sadly this rashness can't be trained out. A cool temprament can't be taught. And Phil Jones will never be the world class defender we need.

ti vu

I honestly think he would be world class if he wasn't such an idiot at times. Gary Neville summed it up at half time - he's rash. He panics. This is why he injures himself a lot, diving in rashly, and this is why he'll always have stupid mistakes in his locker. Sadly this rashness can't be trained out. A cool temprament can't be taught. And Phil Jones will never be the world class defender we need.
This I disagree. Rashness can be ironed out. The problem is it needs plenty of time which Jones' problem with injuries makes it look like a goose chase. Talent is clear to see, but too big a gamble to hope for as his lay off may be around the corner. His injury is more about his body than his style. Evans is not rash and he is still injure prone. Just like Jones it's their physicality ain't fitting well with football.

Pepe had a bad reputation due to his early year, but in his peak (past 4 seasons at Madrid), he bexomes great and "clean" defender.

roonster09

Scout
So was he trying to be smart by trying to flick the ball away or he had no choice as he couldn't readjust properly ?
For the second goal? He was just pathetic for not trusting his weaker foot and ended up looking like a clown. It was a simple clearance had he used his left foot.

Jaybomb

Again with this “one” poor game rubbish.

I can’t stand how the likes of Smalling and Jones get excused on here for having “one” poor game and yet the likes of Rojo and Fellaini have stigmas and reputations attached to them for doing less.

Fellaini costs us a penalty against Everton and Old Trafford start booing him during his warmup. But Smalling puts on a horror show against Chelsea last season and costs us almost four goals and it’s “just one game”.

Jones blasts it into his own net under zero pressure and its “just one game” but Rojo gives away a penalty against Watford and he’s a liability.

I can see why people don’t rate Fellaini but I can’t see why those same people would rate Smalling. It reeks of hypocrisy and blind favouritism.

I blame the English media. The pundits never point out how much rubbish the English players are. If a foreigner did what Phil Jones did tonight, you’d hear the commentators talk about how much he’s cost his team tonight.

norm87cro

I'm not making excuses for him but at least he has some balls and plays with some level of responsibility. Unlike Smalling who is so afraid od making a mistake. That Being saif I can't wait for Bailly to return

Status
Not open for further replies.