Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Chairman Steve

Bet he’ll do what Smalling did when he got a new contract and get randomly injured for two months.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
He always looks like he's late to everything, even when he's free and passing to a teammate nearby. Mr. Last-ditch effort.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why do loads of people on here believe that a 4 year contract = he'll definitely be here and play for us for four more years?

It's bizarre.
Because some people are smart enough to understand that because of our crazy wage structure, it makes it almost impossible to offload deadwood on longer contracts unless China comes calling.

Whilst others want Jones, Mata and every other dud in the squad to sign new deals for some utterly bizarre reason. Some people are just content with mediocracy I guess.

Djemba-Djemba

The Rojo one was seriously baffling at the time.
Smalling was the only one I could understand.

He's not progressed into the world class centre back we hoped he would but he's solid and his injury record is pretty decent these days.

To give Jones and Rojo, two average at best injury prone players, long contracts is just terrible terrible business. Stuff like this, it really does give off the impression the Glazers and the board are happy to accept mediocre.

Andrew~

I think it's a good decision. This says to me that the club believes that Lindelof and Bailly are probably the long term solution at centre back, so it makes sense to have experienced heads around them (Smalling, Jones, Rojo[contract till 2021]) who can provide competition and cover. I was never convinced that the club needed to spend 90+ million on a centre back to be honest.

There are more pressing issues in midfield.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Because it makes him harder to shift? No ones paying a lot of money for him or matching his wages. When a player is as injury prone, old and simply not that great as Jones, it gives the player the power, and takes it away from us. He'll be in no rush to leave, and why should he be?
I dunno, I think the majority of players want to play football after a while. We've shifted on plenty of long-standing club players in the past.

Because with his injury record and the type of salaries our players earn, its going to be difficult to shift him.
Because some people are smart enough to understand that because of our crazy wage structure, it makes it almost impossible to offload deadwood on longer contracts unless China comes calling.

Whilst others want Jones, Mata and every other dud in the squad to sign new deals for some utterly bizarre reason. Some people are just content with mediocracy I guess.
It has literally never stopped us moving on players before. I can't think of one player who has just hung around for us and been a drain on the wage bill... we've always shifted them on when they need to. Not sure why it would be any different now?

Plus, there will always be clubs that will pay good money and front the wages for an ex United defender (cough West Ham).

It'll make selling him for money harder, but then selling him for money should be harder - it's not like the club hasn't done it before/can't do it.

Trizy

That shouldn't mean anything.

We're not competing with clubs outside the top 6.
What are you on about? My whole argument is we're just protecting our investment who could leave on a free. Then I replied to someone saying ''who would buy him'' with my argument any club below the top 6 basically would. Your post makes no sense.

marky

Not a fan of Jones, but my guess is that this is a case of asset protection. It will give us a stronger position, if we were to sell him.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Who else has got a new long term contract?
I dunno, I think the majority of players want to play football after a while. We've shifted on plenty of long-standing club players in the past.

It has literally never stopped us moving on players before. I can't think of one player who has just hung around for us and been a drain on the wage bill... we've always shifted them on when they need to. Not sure why it would be any different now?

Plus, there will always be clubs that will pay good money and front the wages for an ex United defender (cough West Ham).

It'll make selling him for money harder, but then selling him for money should be harder - it's not like the club hasn't done it before/can't do it.
Darmian this summer?

Judas

Open to offers
I think it's a good decision. This says to me that the club believes that Lindelof and Bailly are probably the long term solution at centre back, so it makes sense to have experienced heads around them (Smalling, Jones, Rojo[contract till 2021]) who can provide competition and cover. I was never convinced that the club needed to spend 90+ million on a centre back to be honest.

That is a terrifying thought. Lindelof looks to be getting better and better to be fair, but people still banging the Bailly drum are weird, he still looks miles off being good enough.

Revan

Assumptionman
This if fecking pathetic. Typically defender Woodward here but don't know how anyone can justify this.

edgecutter

Knowing what Jones is like, he probably fractured his hand signing that contract and is out for the next 6 weeks.

Revan

Assumptionman
More than I thought, thanks! It's 8 as a minimum, isn't it?
There is no minimum. Just that you can have at most 17 foreigners in a 25 men squad. However, you are not obliged to have a 25 men squad (and players under 21 years old don't count).

izec

That is a terrifying thought. Lindelof looks to be getting better and better to be fair, but people still banging the Bailly drum are weird, he still looks miles off being good enough.
I agree. I see Bailly leaving next season if he plays another shit season. This season has been horrific for him. He still isnt on high wages and relatively young, we can get a decent fee

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How so?

We're likely getting rid of Rojo, possibly Bailly too, that leaves 3 CB's. Plenty of room for a 4th.

Also people seem to be forgetting that Woodward was willing to shed out something like £100m on Varane last summer if Real played ball.
If we presume that Lindelof is our best defender and first choice and we buy world class defender. Then on the bench we need two proven defenders. We have that in Bailly and Smalling who are much better than Jones. 5th choice who will maybe play few games in season can be Tuanzebe or TFM. So this is really ridiculous decision. Waste of money and space.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So we now have to hope Everton will be stupid enough to buy one of our players for loads of money? They are the only club who are possibly daft enough. Pair him with Michael Keane.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe too long a deal but im still pro it. People forget a squad is needed. Jones isn't going to be number 1 or 2 but is a very competent sub, one of the best replacement centre halves in the league. Given his smalling and Bailly injury record we need 5 anyway
No he is not. First, he misses roughly half of each season with the injury, and is a headless chicken in the remaining half. He is the definition of a totally unreliable squad player.

PeteManic

Good news.

Yes, he is useless. But really there is no-one else out there who would be better on the wages he must be on.

I'm sure he's on no more than £150k a week, which is nothing nowadays.

Mcking

How many years are you going to be hoping "If he can just stay fit"

He's been here 8 years, it's not going to happen.
Why not? The most important thing anyway is that he's still got it, and he is usually in the team whenever he is fit.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

Christ alive, the squad must be in dire straits if Phil Jones is considered an experienced head. He doesn't play as though he's experienced, he's shockingly rash and he hasn't yet seen out a season for us without a long injury lay-off.

reddaz71

Jones, Young, Smalling all deadwood being extended points to another frugal summer ahead in the transfer window, we won't be selling them either unless its to a club in China, these are business decisions from a club run by businessmen who clearly as a -£10m transfer margin from the last window clearly illustrates!

settembrini

Maybe we are going to keep him until he scores another goal for us. It's been five years now.

I think I could score a goal for United if I played for them for five years.

Judas

Open to offers
Good news.

Yes, he is useless. But really there is no-one else out there who would be better on the wages he must be on.

But that 150k could easily go on someone better and fitter. It's still a big old wedge even now.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Good news.

Why are so many people concerned about the wages he's on? It's an irrelevance really, he doesn't add enough to the squad irrespective of wages. There's no point in banging on about the value for money in the sport's current climate.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Christ alive, the squad must be in dire straits if Phil Jones is considered an experienced head. He doesn't play as though he's experienced, he's shockingly rash and he hasn't yet seen out a season for us without a long injury lay-off.
He is one of our few players left from our last title win. So he is an experienced head at this point.

AgentP

Good news.

I sure hope not. He should be on less than 100k.

Zlatattack

This news nearly killed me. I have man flu - I can't cope with this BS right now.

Imran Mamdani

I've never felt laughter and sadness at the same time, what do I make of these tears - joy or bemusement? bahhh, happy friday!