Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Look at the prick, smiling away knowing he somehow pulled off the greatest football con of the year. I can't stand him.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He's not as terrible as United fans like to make out. He'd start for any club outside the top 6.
That's the problem. Which club outside the top 6 would fork out for him and the likes of Smalling for that matter?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Good news.

Yes, he is useless. But really there is no-one else out there who would be better on the wages he must be on.

I'm sure he's on no more than £150k a week, which is nothing nowadays.
Very good :lol:

AgentP

Why not? The most important thing anyway is that he's still got it, and he is usually in the team whenever he is fit.
Still got what? It's not like he is Ledley King. Even when fit, he is a liability on the pitch. Making stupid mistakes and getting owned by semi-decent players on a regular basis.

Kostov

We ain't letting him leave until we give him a testimonial. He'll probably score a hat trick of own goals just to celebrate.

EDIT: Is this Mourinho's fault also?

Revan

Assumptionman
Why do loads of people on here believe that a 4 year contract = he'll definitely be here and play for us for four more years?

It's bizarre.
Considering that he should have been out of the club at least 3 years ago, a new contract means that the club for some bizarre reasons known to no one really rates him. Let's not all fool ourselves, they didn't give him this contract in order to sell in the summer, they give it to keep him. If they wanted to sell him, they could have sold him last summer, or the one before that, or virtually every summer since Fergie left, cause he has been a fecking joke since then.

JoaquinJoaquin

I think it's a good decision. This says to me that the club believes that Lindelof and Bailly are probably the long term solution at centre back, so it makes sense to have experienced heads around them (Smalling, Jones, Rojo[contract till 2021]) who can provide competition and cover. I was never convinced that the club needed to spend 90+ million on a centre back to be honest.

There are more pressing issues in midfield.
Lindelof and Bailly isn't the long term solution though. We need better.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
He is one of our few players left from our last title win. So he is an experienced head at this point.
By virtue of being one of the last ones standing, yeah. In fact I don't think I have ever questioned his mentality, I think it's fair to say he has always had a decent winning mentality and mental toughness, he always seems well up for big games. But if you watch the way he plays in games he doesn't act by any means like an experienced defender.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Fellaini was willing to go to China though, Jones won't feck off past fecking Greater Manchester or Lancashire.
Exactly this. Now he has 5 years contract which i doubt smaller clubs can cover. He knows that he will get his chance sooner or later no matter what new coach says. So why would he accept any offer from lets say Cardiff or Newcastle?
I said few times in his thread before. Phil Jones is biggest survivor in football. This is second time that he got new contract despite the fact that he didn't earn it on the pitch. In terms of performances and in terms of actually being on your job.
He will retire in United. Survivor

Djemba-Djemba

It is, isn't it? He is one of the best defenders at the club, and part of our efforts should be directed towards ensuring that he is always fit.
First of all, I don't think he is one of the best defenders at the club.

Secondly even if he was, the current defensive crop at Utd are shite so it's hardly some great achievement is it?

You seem to think that after 8 years of constant, constant injuries he's suddenly going to be fit enough. It's just never going to happen, how many years of "Phil Jones injured, out for 7 weeks" headlines do you have to read before you stop thinking things will be different?

And that's before we get into the fact that when fully fit and given a run in the side, I still think he's useless.

Kostov

It is, isn't it? He is one of the best defenders at the club, and part of our efforts should be directed towards ensuring that he is always fit.
He's better than Rojo and..... Di'Shon Bernard, yeah that probably makes him "one of the best defenders at the club".

That'sHernandez

Why do loads of people on here believe that a 4 year contract = he'll definitely be here and play for us for four more years?

It's bizarre.
I don't think he'll definitely be here and play for us for four more years, and I understand that 4+1 is the standard contract we give to all of our players under the age of 29/30, but I think Jones is one of the few players who doesn't really contribute enough to warrant a new contract.

CM

Bizarre that we've signed all of Jones, Rojo and Smalling to 4 year deals in the last 12 months. I could stomach something like 2+1 but this is a fecking commitment.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Exactly this. Now he has 5 years contract which i doubt smaller clubs can cover. He knows that he will get his chance sooner or later no matter what new coach says. So why would he accept any offer from lets say Cardiff or Newcastle?
I said few times in his thread before. Phil Jones is biggest survivor in football. This is second time that he got new contract despite the fact that he didn't earn it on the pitch. In terms of performances and in terms of actually being on your job.
He will retire in United. Survivor
He was in great form at the back end of Van Gaal's first season which is why he got that extension.

sam147

As predicted the dross continues. Smalling, Jones and Young here next season. Its amazing how the dopey oaf managed to stay fit when he needed a new contract. He will be injured again soon knowing him.

settembrini

We're not extending Jones's contract to sell him. Don't know why anyone thinks this is a possibility. Nobody is going to pay a transfer fee for a not very good defender with a terrible fitness record who will want parity with his inflated United wage. Even with his contract expiring there seemed to be no interest in him and now it's been extended he's our problem for the foreseeable future.

Revan

Assumptionman
By virtue of being one of the last ones standing, yeah. In fact I don't think I have ever questioned his mentality, I think it's fair to say he has always had a decent winning mentality and mental toughness, he always seems well up for big games. But if you watch the way he plays in games he doesn't act by any means like an experienced defender.
His mentality is to become the bitch of every semi decent attacking opponent we have. Yes, he has a title, during which he was the fifth choice CB (and played a few games in the pitbull role in midfield).

L1nk

This club is an absolute joke. Why the fu do we keep rewarding such mediocrity. I just can't wrap my head around this.

Bojan11

He’d get injured soon. Just like Smalling did after signing his contract.

That’s how these wasters operate.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
His mentality is to become the bitch of every semi decent attacking opponent we have. Yes, he has a title, during which he was the fifth choice CB (and played a few games in the pitbull role in midfield).
He was injured for the first half of that season but, then basically started every match he was fit for once he was fit.

Mcking

Still got what? It's not like he is Ledley King. Even when fit, he is a liability on the pitch. Making stupid mistakes and getting owned by semi-decent players on a regular basis.
He is a good defender, and persistent injuries has barely deprived him of that. He makes the occasional mistakes and has bad games like many other players. It is just that everything Phil Jones does wrong is blown out of proportion.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Has anyone heard about Jonny Evans since he left us? Jones would've been a nobody had he left in the summer, it's beggars belief we handed him a 5 year contract :lol:

Expect another few years of 'squad rebuilding' mainly because we'll be unable to offload shite like him.

That'sHernandez

He’d get injured soon. Just like Smalling did after signing his contract.

That’s how these wasters operate.
:lol: I can't imagine Jones has wanted his career to have ended up being largely marred by injury... Bit harsh.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He is a good defender, and persistent injuries has barely deprived him of that. He makes the occasional mistakes and has bad games like many other players. It is just that everything Phil Jones does wrong is blown out of proportion.
Exactly.

That'sHernandez

I'm not sure that's true, he put in a stellar performance man-marking Ronaldo...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I would love to know based on what he got not extension and wage raise. Based on fecking what? In one of the biggest clubs in the world.
In any other job you must prove athat you earn bigger wage. He was injured all the time, cost us Fa cup, League cup, many points in PL and the thing which is the most annoying to me; his recent performances were not good. Any kid could see that he is not good enough for us. And what we do? We gave him 4 y contract. 100k per week. Bloody hell, i am fuming

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Amazes me the stupidity of some on here. They think we can just throw money away.

By giving Fellaini a new deal we were able to sell him and make a tidy sum rather than letting him leave for nothing. Rough calculation is we are £5m up from that deal.

Utd are protecting Jones's value. We can't afford to let all out players leave for nothing despite what some of you believe. There's no way Jones is going to be first choice next season. No chance at all.

staniswin

Ok this is something you've completely made up in your mind and there is absolutely no evidence for. Change my mind.
Made up ? Let's talk about our club having ambition again here. Mourinho ambition is clearly bigger than the club and it's exactly the reason why he got sacked. Club with ambition won't extend Smalling, Jones and Young.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Really surprised by this.

Thought him and Rojo would be certs to be moved on.

Creates log jam at CB now. You have Lindelof looking good, Smalling who has long term deal and now Jones so already three established CBs. That's without coming to Bailey who I presume is in negotiations over new deal given he's been at Man. United 3 years now.

stevoc

:lol:

So he's here until he's 31-32 at least. He'll get a testimonial then, hope he doesn't miss that because of injury.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I assume we sell Rojo Darmian and mata in the summer and then that’s pretty much all of lvg and Moyes disaster signings out of the club. I’ll take that. Jose at least bought players of the required potential. Jones is a decent squad player and putting up huge numbers a few seasons back. The truth is he’s decent when he’s fit. Just he’s never fit for any length of time. This contract protects our investment and keeps the squad stable. I do understand the people saying we will never be able to sell him. If we ever do it’ll be a Jonny Evans job....

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Amazes me the stupidity of some on here. They think we can just throw money away.

By giving Fellaini a new deal we were able to sell him and make a tidy sum rather than letting him leave for nothing. Rough calculation is we are £5m up from that deal.

Utd are protecting Jones's value. We can't afford to let all out players leave for nothing despite what some of you believe. There's no way Jones is going to be first choice next season. No chance at all.
Or it could have just been that Mourinho wanted him to stay so he stayed. And Mourinho left so he was gone.

DRM

Lets give Rojo a new long term contract too ffs