Phil Jones

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Fergie's just called Smalling and Jones our "long-term partnership" so it looks like playing him in midfield and out wide is just about making his game more rounded and finding ways to give him game-time.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I hope there are no more arguments about what his long term position will be. He's a centre back all day long. What a leap he's got
He's also a very good centre mid imo. Great prospect to have at the club. Plus we have Smalling Rafael DDG Welbeck Cleverly Evans and now Zaha by God we are spoilt.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He's also a very good centre mid imo. Great prospect to have at the club. Plus we have Smalling Rafael DDG Welbeck Cleverly Evans and now Zaha by God we are spoilt.
He might do a job there in an emergency but he's got all the raw ingredients to be an outstanding centre half and thats surely where his future lies.

Thought he was superb today.

Leg-End

Excellent performance, Smalling looks to compliment him well too. The future is bright.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Low and behold played at centre-half Phil Jones looks pretty damned good and doesn't spend his time charging about obviously trying to figure out where in midfield he's actually supposed to be. If we just played the guy in his natural position he'd develop incredibly fast. The way he started last season was proof enough of that for me. I still remember the last ditch tackle in the 2011/12 Norwich (H) fixture. Lets stop mucking him about and give him a chance to nail down a place at centre back, eh?

Wan

Rio, Vida, Smalling and Evans..that's why he's been played all over the place. Plus we needed some cover for Rafael at RB anyways.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's not had many games at CB this season (3?) but he's been very good in all of them.

Promising.

Drainy

Like the look of Keane, never seen Morgan, Wootton won't make it here.
Think there has been crossed wires.

As far as I know there isn't a Morgan at United, so I guess there has been a mix up after reading the Michael Keane thread where I mentioned that Wes Morgan (the Leicester City club captain) is a great partner for Keane.

I agree on Wootton, he's probably a Championship level defender.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I'm sort of feeling stupid about how quickly he's made me change my mind about how good he'll get and how quickly as a centre back, especially given that it'll only take a few poor performances to cast doubt again.

He does look very, very good though. The thing with Smalling and Jones (at the moment) is that they don't just get through games dependably looking quality young centre backs; they actually look noticeably excellent.

Shark

@NotShark
SAF rarely calls a young player a 'top prospect' and gets it wrong. I've always seen Smalling as a future world class CB, but I've had my doubts regarding Jones.

I must say though, he's been brilliant when given his chance at CB this season and has the ability to be a very good footballer too.

The White Pele

He was great today. Didn't go walkabout too often which he was guilty of when playing centre-back last season. Obviously he is still very young for a defender so pleasing to see him maturing.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Will Keane will make it here too. good catch by Drainy re: Morgan. I though he was our player.

have heard good things about Wooton. but have not seen him other than in one league cup match I think. thought he did well enough.
You're thinking of Michael Keane.

Will Keane's the striker, his twin brother.

And I think the pair of them looks good. Wootton won't make it.

Platato

Psst!
Whenever Jones and Smalling play together, you never really worry. They work in tandem and complement each other quite well. I was convinced of their partnership ever since I saw them perform in U-21 euros.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think there has been crossed wires.

As far as I know there isn't a Morgan at United, so I guess there has been a mix up after reading the Michael Keane thread where I mentioned that Wes Morgan (the Leicester City club captain) is a great partner for Keane.

I agree on Wootton, he's probably a Championship level defender.
Was said about Shawcross!

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Smalling and Jones will be the new Rio and Vidic and possibly turn out even better. If De Gea fulfills his potential then it will be a hell of a triumvirate.

Smalling is the composed ballplayer, the equivalent of Rio, but arguably better in the air.

Jones is the muscle of the operation, the new Vidic - a bit of the John Terry Lionheart about him but he has that modern CB ability to burst forward when required.

The best thing (for me) is that they will become Englands first choice CB pairing as well. Playing together for both club and country will be fantastic for them and they should develop a great understanding.

acrebo

I didn't see it....so who was reponsible defensively for QPR's goal...if there was any blame that is...
Rooney really, but it was quite a smart checked run from Hughes. If the game was closer then I think Rooney would have been more switched on.

dhstriker

President of the Jamie Redknapp fan club
He's a bit Vidicesque, but a (much) better footballer.
Jones is better than Vidic? What are you smoking? Vidic at his best is one of the best, if not THE best, players in the Prem. Sure, he's been injured this season, but I'm not sure how you can make statement like that.

wr8_utd

:'(
I watch him at CB this year and I can't believe this is the game who played the same position last year. He's been our best CB in every game he's played this season in that position IMO.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Jones is better than Vidic? What are you smoking? Vidic at his best is one of the best, if not THE best, players in the Prem. Sure, he's been injured this season, but I'm not sure how you can make statement like that.
He didn't mean purely as a defender but as an all round footballer, Jones definitely has more ability on the ball than Vidic (that's why you could employ Jones in midfield or at right back, he has some of the attributes necessary to fit in there whereas Vidic has none).

Obviously Vidic used to be a much better defender and he still probably is. If Jones continues to develop he might be as good but there's still a very long way to go.

I'm pleased to finally see him in his natural position. After some of his performances at centre back last season I feared he may lack discipline to play there - he's been proving me wrong constantly this season. Hopefully he'll get to play there more because it's one position in which he might excel and become truly world class - not right back, not defensive midfielder, there he could be decent at best.