PL Top 4 race

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The defeatism here is exhausting and demoralising… We’ve beaten the odds before; we can do it again.
It's not defeatist. It's just being realistic based on 12 months of form. I'd love everything to click and we suddenly play decent football for the rest of the season. I want to be entertained.

I've just watched enough football to know the chance of that happening is slim to zero.

NoPace

The Premier League earning that fifth spot is far from certain after last week, so really we need Villa to beat Ajax and, in particular, West Ham to knock out Freiberg.
That's somewhat our fault too for not getting out of the group stage.

foolsgold

End of last season from a similar position that we're in now Liverpool went on a great run with 8 wins and 2 draws from the last 10 league matches, they still fell short of the CL. It's difficult to see us going on a similar run, and even if we did we'd also probably fall short.

If it happens great, but like Liverpool showed the important thing is to finish the season strong and carry momentum into the next one.

always_hoping

Did the Premier league predictor thing. Was as unbiased as I could be and ended up having Tottenham 4th, Villa 5th. United in 6th missing out on 5th and possible champions league spot on scoring difference.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Reckon there’s a slight chance of 5th if we get players back. Villa will drop plenty of points.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think Spurs will make the top 5. Villa are the more likely ones to fall out. Heavy favourites over us but we have a chance given its Villa.

Mr Smith

Knowing us... Yes probably.
We are more likely to drop points vs Sheffield at home and Bournemouth away.
You know, I'm not sure the stats actually bear that out. We've had a couple of shocking home results this season, but in general we beat the teams we're expected to beat and lose to most top six rivals. Our away form against the bottom half in particular has been pretty solid (as long as you dint look to closely at each individual game).

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
As expected all three sides will drop plenty of points. Anything could happen.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
May as well change the thread to Pl Top 5 Race

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We'll still need a mini collapse from Spurs or Villa to overtake them

Dominos

The problem we have isn't that we need Spurs and Villa to drop points, it's that we need a complete meltdown from them because we're guaranteed to drop significant points too.

We need to get 7 more points than Spurs for the rest of the season. We need to get 9 more points than Villa for the rest of the season.

Effectively we'll likely need Spurs and Villa to drop points in 3 more games than we drop points in, obviously depending on how many draws vs losses each team gets in the games where they drop points.

United would do very very well to win 7 out of our last 10, considering how shite we are. In that scenario we'd likely be relying on Spurs/Villa going 4 wins from 10.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Jesus give it a rest ffs. Spreading your misery in every fecking thread.
Still remember he said wel get thumped at Villa after we beat wolves (or West ham).

We won all those games. 6pts is not a big gap, when you consider their run in too, it looks like they are playing certain sides at the wrong time. After Luton it's West Ham, which is a banana skin in itself before they go play Liverpool Arsenal City.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Still remember he said wel get thumped at Villa after we beat wolves (or West ham).

We won all those games. 6pts is not a big gap, when you consider their run in too, it looks like they are playing certain sides at the wrong time. After Luton it's West Ham, which is a banana skin in itself before they go play Liverpool Arsenal City.
Well done for remembering I thought we'd lose to Villa given the performance level. I presume you can predict every result? As I predicted the performances caught up with us when we played Fulham though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well done for remembering I thought we'd lose to Villa given the performance level. I presume you can predict every result? As I predicted the performances caught up with us when we played Fulham though.
You just lazily assumed we won't get the type of form Ten Hag had reached in his best 10 game period (23 points).

This is despite us navigating 19 points in our last 10 with vital players injured, who are now back, and with a better fixture list in the next 10 compared to the previous 10.

And you try to accuse me of predicting results. Alright kid.

Leftback99

You just lazily assumed we won't get the type of form Ten Hag had reached in his best 10 game period (23 points).

This is despite us navigating 19 points in our last 10 with vital players injured, who are now back, and with a better fixture list in the next 10 compared to the previous 10.

And you try to accuse me of predicting results. Alright kid.
I didn't 'accuse you' of anything. I simply asked if you can predict correct results? Must be rich if so.

I've made a prediction we won't get 23 points from the next 10 games. Nothing 'lazy' about it, I watch us play and there's no sign whatsoever of title winning level form on the horizon.

By the sounds of it you're predicting we'll match it or better then?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I didn't 'accuse you' of anything. I simply asked if you can predict correct results? Must be rich if so.

I've made a prediction we won't get 23 points from the next 10 games. Nothing 'lazy' about it, I watch us play and there's no sign whatsoever of title winning level form on the horizon.

By the sounds of it you're predicting we'll match it or better then?
Im actually agreeing with the sentiment of another poster who has called you out for effectively overly whinging with pessimism.

If we are getting 19 from the last 10 whilst playing poorly without a lot of key players and with harder oppositions, in what world would anyone think we can't do similar with key players back and easier opponents?

sepulturite

Yeh I know, it's ridiculous being that miserable. I'm not ETH biggest fan these days, but being this negative constantly is just annoying as feck.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Put me back on ignore if you don't like hearing realism.
You're not being realistic though. You can't actually apply reason toward your punt outside of "I watch us and there's nothing to suggest we can do xyz in the next 10 games, even though we've just achieved this in the last 10 games".

Leftback99

Im actually agreeing with the sentiment of another poster who has called you out for effectively overly whinging with pessimism.

If we are getting 19 from the last 10 whilst playing poorly without a lot of key players and with harder oppositions, in what world would anyone think we can't do similar with key players back and easier opponents?
So you're predicting we will? That's fine, we can all have opinions.

If we don't I'll 'remind' you of your wrong prediction. If you're right, great because we'll be in with a chance.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So you're predicting we will? That's fine, we can all have opinions.

If we don't I'll 'remind' you of your wrong prediction. If you're right, great because we'll be in with a chance.
As I said in my original reply, I said there is greater chance of us showing form more similar to 19 points than not.

Irwin99

I still feel pessimistic but on the bright side, there have been some astonishingly awful top 4 races over the years where seemingly every side competing kept losing game after game. Hopefully the same will happen to Spurs and Villa and we can sneak in there. Can see a lot of points being dropped.

Woziak

Watching Son and Ange Postecoglou just get interviewed, they looked like the penny has just dropped and they were fuming inside, they need 7 points minimum from next three games, Spurs at home to Luton should be a formality and that would put them on 60 points, before their nightmare run.
Villa should be on 60-63 after the next 3 games and United might be on 50-51 points so not to much to see here just yet, United after those next three games might be more concerned about finishing 6-8th!

If we have 53 points so take 7 from our next three games then I’ll be extremely optimistic?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let's see if we're even in the conversation after the next 3 league games.
Brentford and Chelsea away and Liverpool at home.

Leftback99

As I said in my original reply, I said there is greater chance of us showing form more similar to 19 points than not.
The spread betting markets forecast us to get around 15 points so I'm not sure that's entirely correct.

Leftback99

Oh no not spread betting!
I wish I could have bet that that response was coming!

I refer back to my earlier you must be a rich man point. Someone that knows better than the betting markets and can predict results must be. If not you're wasting your superior knowledge.

We should watch out for Wolves. They also have 19 points from the last 10 so will carry on the same form or better, right?

Last edited:

FujiVice

Damage has been done I'm afraid. It would take a miracle just to beat Liverpool, let alone go on a run of 8 games after it.