Player of the Season vote

Well...

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

JB7

I could not disgaree more. This is what happens when some fans are swayed by a good individual performance.

Bruno bottled the game against Arsenal at the weekend, don't tell me he miraculously recovered for this (Newcastle) game, which in fact, meant little at all. Even Rooney called it out. That tells you everything about Bruno and the season he has had. He has been much better in recent weeks, (because he responded to much criticism) but for significant majority of the camapign, he was everything that does not reflect a Manchester United Captain: uncommitted, uninspiring, selfish, and inconsistent. He epitomised the problems the team were having. Bruno has had a very poor season, considering a player of his ability. Of course, he wasn't responsible for the players around him, but his role, as Captain, was to inspire, to elevate, to lead. And Bruno Fernandes did not do that this season. No way.

How can you say that he has had a better season than say, Garnacho? That's unbelievable...
Must have missed the part where Rooney named Bruno. What makes you think he's on about Bruno rather than the obvious players such as Varane and Martial who are magically back in training after 43 years out with the Cup Final coming up? Blind bias?

Cantonagotmehere

Very hard to answer this. I honestly don't know. Soon it was apparent the season was a wash and I just cared about the youth. They did well , but not player of year well.

Maybe De Gea.....like when we were not good and he won it for 8 years.....

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
It's been such a terrible season with injuries and a forever changing team that it only comes down to a few players.

Bruno Fernandes gets my vote followed by Dalot and Garnacho.

Other players just didn't play enough games or lacked quality when it really mattered. McTominay, Mainoo, Maguire, Evans were pretty reliable with some good moments. Hojlund worked hard without any real service.

The others mostly had a poor season by their own standards and I wouldn't even consider them.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
No one stands out and it was a pretty bad campaign. Maybe there should not be a player of the year. Can we just skip it?

If we must, I would say it's a tie for Bruno and Dalot. Both had many good matches, but both had a handful of really poor matches.

Dominos

Dalot is the only real answer I think. I honestly struggle to name another contender. The likes of Garnacho might fall under "somewhat promising for a young player", but he's had far more bad games than he's had good games. Everyone has been pretty bad or injured, or both. We have a couple of young players who at least have justification for their inconsistent performances.

Baffled by the votes for Bruno but I guess you could say he's the best of a dreadful bunch. He's had a good 6 or 7 game run recently but he was bad for most of the season. His best quality has been reliability from the penalty spot.

mu4c_20le

Dalot is the only real answer I think. I honestly struggle to name another contender. The likes of Garnacho might fall under "somewhat promising for a young player", but he's had far more bad games than he's had good games. Everyone has been pretty bad or injured, or both. We have a couple of young players who at least have justification for their inconsistent performances.

Baffled by the votes for Bruno but I guess you could say he's the best of a dreadful bunch. He's had a good 6 or 7 game run recently but he was bad for most of the season. His best quality has been reliability from the penalty spot.
Nah it's not baffling at all. Bruno's highs are way higher than dalot, he's carried the team with his moments of brilliance and won many points for hag, probably saving his job several times. His lows are when he's quiet, but still creates chances, the numbers speak for themselves. Dalot is the safe choice for being consistent, without looking exceptional or too badly. It's closer than you think.

Dominos

Nah it's not baffling at all. Bruno's highs are way higher than dalot, he's carried the team with his moments of brilliance and won many points for hag, probably saving his job several times. His lows are when he's quiet, but still creates chances, the numbers speak for themselves. Dalot is the safe choice for being consistent, without looking exceptional or too badly. It's closer than you think.
Well, he is a full back. He's obviously not going to be putting up the same number of goals and assists as Bruno. The idea is who's performing their role to a higher standard and who's performing their role well more consistently, and that has to be Dalot.

Lost bear

I’d guess I’d go for Mainoo, Dalot, Bruno and, for the reasons alluded to above, Slabhead. But the team is so uncoached and chaotic it’s hard to assess anyone, tbh.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I could not disgaree more. This is what happens when some fans are swayed by a good individual performance.

Bruno bottled the game against Arsenal at the weekend, don't tell me he miraculously recovered for this (Newcastle) game, which in fact, meant little at all. Even Rooney called it out. That tells you everything about Bruno and the season he has had. He has been much better in recent weeks, (because he responded to much criticism) but for significant majority of the camapign, he was everything that does not reflect a Manchester United Captain: uncommitted, uninspiring, selfish, and inconsistent. He epitomised the problems the team were having. Bruno has had a very poor season, considering a player of his ability. Of course, he wasn't responsible for the players around him, but his role, as Captain, was to inspire, to elevate, to lead. And Bruno Fernandes did not do that this season. No way.

How can you say that he has had a better season than say, Garnacho? That's unbelievable...
So he’s guilty of pretending to be injured, but played well after criticism? Which is it?

Rooney wasn’t talk about Bruno. The fella plays almost every game.

Orange Tree

Malacia for not playing any minutes of this horrible season.

Real answer, Dalot. He also had a purple patch last season as we saw the level he can reached, which was pretty good.
This season he started not so great but eventually gained some form back and has been consistently one of the top performers in the team.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Dalot
Mainoo
Garnacho

Hojlund for a brief spell

Jonny

No one else I can think of.

Nicolarra90

Mainoo for me. One of the only players who fills me with hope for the future.

But Dalot will win it.

criticalanalysis

Agree on Bruno's highs being better than Dalot but the bolded is a very generous summary. When Bruno is poor, he is losing possession on the edge of our area box with cute/lofted flicks and chips, constantly launching long through balls to no one and first time passes into crowded spaces where we lose it and can't hold possession etc. All of those are fine in isolation and is quite typical of your creative player but not when almost everything goes through him; it's live or die by Bruno. The manager has to take a lot of blame for enabling this and setting the team in this way but Bruno's lows are not when he's just 'quiet', it's self sabotaging stuff.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Dalot. If he plays for another top 4 team that is functional people will rave about him even more.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
It's Dalot. He doesn't have the heights of Mainoo or Garnacho or even the comeback story of Harry. But he was consistent in a terrible side with terrible tactics.

High technical ability and one of our few players who is actually strong and fast.

BigRon1985

I'm nominating Jonny Evans - 100% professional and deserves a 1 year extension to his contract......

Cantonagotmehere

It's Dalot. He doesn't have the heights of Mainoo or Garnacho or even the comeback story of Harry. But he was consistent in a terrible side with terrible tactics.

High technical ability and one of our few players who is actually strong and fast.
I'm so glad he has developed and gotten better and better each year. At 1st, he lacked hustle, and sense of urgency to me on defense. He has fixed that. RB is one of only a couple positions we do not have to worry about.

It says a lot he is our player of the year , but I have noone else to vote for. The young players development and Dalot are the only positives about this season (unless we in the Cup!)

NoPace

It feels like Dalot because he's been better than expected and Bruno has been worse, but it's probably Bruno.

The award should be cancelled and players should be subject to a cultural revolution style struggle session, except maybe Mainoo, Hojland, Garnacho and Dalot.
This communist has my vote for next manager, though.

SecondFig

Dalot for me - has been consistently one of our best performers all season. Maguire, Mainoo, Garnacho and Bruno have all had good periods of the season. The rest...

Juansar_07

In an abysmal season filled with average to dreadful performances, the two probably noteworthy players are Bruno and Dalot.

Although, Dalot has his fair share of defensive mistakes and was prone to lapses, there was a discernable progress in his performance over the course of the season. Additionally, he was the most consistent defender/player across the squad covering either flank.

Ideally, it should be Bruno again but he is viewed based on a higher standard. The higher bar that he has himself set. If I am not mistaken, hasn't he created 114 chances this season, the most by any other player in PL? (after creating 119 last season) wherein our attack has been toothless.
All in all, his overall contribution was inconsistent but customarily higher than the rest of the squad.

So, a close call between the two.

Mike Smalling

Dalot has been a fairly consistent performer all season - probably one of the only ones. But it has to be said that Bruno has caught up a lot recently with his performance, so he'd be my second choice.

Mainoo and Garnacho both deserve a mention as well, but they both suffer a bit from the consistency issues that come with being a young player. Mainoo had some really quiet games, and Garnacho has struggled a lot with decision making recently.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Dalot is crushing the vote more than I thought he would.

He's my second choice because I think the fullback has the easiest job in the team. Or rather, it's much easier to get an OK rating as a fullback. The hard part is to remain consistent and also be an offensive threat. If a fullback is your best player then it's usually a huge problem. And fair enough, we have huge problems so it makes sense that Dalot is one of our top performers.

The reason I put Bruno ahead of him is because he's had a harder and more important job. Even if he's not been as consistent as Dalot nor delivered at every given task, his overall output and importance to the team is clearly higher.

Pughnichi

Bruno has been great recently but too hot and cold throughout the season

Dalot jumps from good to bad week to week

Maguire has had a decent campaign

Mainoo was only in late

Garnacho gets my vote. A youngster available all year putting effort in

GueRed

Diogo Dalot for me. Ever present and consistent... Has greatly improved over previous years.

Special mentions go to Maguire who has been solid. October and November he was our best player, a pillar at the back. Jonny Evans whenever played never put a foot wrong.
Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund. Good young players who have been good in spells, they have been shining lights in what has been a disappointing season

frostbite

Opinions depend on expectations.

Diogo Dalot was better than his previous mediocre self, so people are impressed.

Bruno was worse than his previous magnificent self, so people are not impressed.

However, objectively Bruno was much better than Dalot. Dalot might be the "most improved" player, but he wasn't better than Bruno.

Dalot for me. He's proven he is a consistent top performing full back able to do whatever the coach asks of him. Cant ask for more from him.

Mainoo second.
Garnacho was in the running but he's becoming too selfish in his play.
Bruno put the numbers up but he's shown zero leadership as Captain.
Maguire has done well to turn things around but hes still far from good enough.
Hojlund has had a decent first season but not more than that.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Opinions depend on expectations.

Diogo Dalot was better than his previous mediocre self, so people are impressed.

Bruno was worse than his previous magnificent self, so people are not impressed.

However, objectively Bruno was much better than Dalot. Dalot might be the "most improved" player, but he wasn't better than Bruno.
Not sure if I agree that he was MUCH better, but he was better for sure.

And yeah, expectations matter in these votes. Mainoo wouldn't have gotten many votes if not for his age. The hype is understandable and his highlights are great, but he's been very average if we judge him like an "adult".