Players fans don't rate but managers love them...

Siezard

McClair and Phelan. Fergie loved them both bang average at best.
McClair was really good in his younger years. He literally saved SAF from his job. Guess that's why Fergie love him.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
McClair was really good in his younger years. He literally saved SAF from his job. Guess that's why Fergie love him.
His first season he was brilliant. First player to score 30 goals since Best. After that though he seemed to be moved into a deeper position and his lack of pace and technique was severely highlighted. Fergie loved him though. I’m sure Red Issue used to call him the prodigal son or something similar.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Swiss Charlie Adam for us aka Xhaka. Awful player that ever manager insists on starting.

We need an rvn

Milner? Liverpool fans love Milner, or am I missing the point of the thread?
I think if you look historically, milner was never appreciated by a lot of fans other than liverpool ones (and even that's just recently given they appreciate his age and actually what he has brought to the club).

You can say the same for Barry at villa. Never truly appreciated what he brought until towards the end of his career, other than by villa fans.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Marten de Roon for the Dutch national team. (pretty sure he is massively valued by Atalanta fans).

Joel Veltman for the Dutch national team and Ajax. (pretty sure he is massively valued by Brighton fans now)

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Saul.

How he even makes the bench is beyond me, even in a crisis. I’d be more confident with Stamford the Lion having a seat on the bench.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Wasnt Antonio Valencia in this category for a long time. I think it was only near his end here where (and after leaving) where fans really started to value/rate him..

Lentwood

Keep seeing Jordan Henderson pop-up....who still doesn't rate Jordan Henderson?

I genuinely think he has been one of the best midfielders in Europe over the last decade.

Looking at the players mentioned in general, I suppose you could re-title this thread, "players who don't score/assist but still perform vital functions so are rightly highly-regarded by actual football managers". Not that snappy, I know.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Mason Mount for England under Southgate
Read a stat somewhere the other day that Mount, at 2.5 years younger and taking less penalties and free kicks, is outperforming Lampard by about 50 minutes per goal/assist across their first 2.5 seasons at Chelsea. That was a bit of an eye opener for me.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
McClair was anything but "bang average". :eek:
He was, fergie loved him but he had no great qualities. The fans groaned that he played as often as he did. He used to score about six goals a season after his first season.

Nicolarra90

Wasnt Antonio Valencia in this category for a long time. I think it was only near his end here where (and after leaving) where fans really started to value/rate him..
Probably in his middle years. 2012 to 2015. Was brilliant before and rediscovered as a RB and captain after.

antk

Moussa Sissoko has played 71 games for the french NT.

KetilOwren88

He was, fergie loved him but he had no great qualities. The fans groaned that he played as often as he did. He used to score about six goals a season after his first season.
How can you get close to 500 games for the greatest manager of all time if you are bang average? Beeing a reliable squad player who can play in multiple roles is a great quality to have. In fact, it’s one of those qualities that win you the league.

MalaysianRed7

Scott McTominay, simply unbelievable how Jose, Ole, Ralf and even Fergie all love him. Such an average player in my opinion. Decent energy, not Premier League level technically and even defensively, which everyone heralds him for, all I see is the least positionally aware midfielder in the top half and a very weak player in the challenge.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Marten de Roon.

Or any other defensive midfielder who's not good on the ball.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
How can you get close to 500 games for the greatest manager of all time if you are bang average? Beeing a reliable squad player who can play in multiple roles is a great quality to have. In fact, it’s one of those qualities that win you the league.
That’s a great question….one that many reds asked week in week out for years….listen this thread is what it is but McClair was never a player who won us the league….Robson, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Ince, kanchelskis, Sharpe, Bruce, Pallister, Schmeichel, Irwin, Hughes, Cole, Yorke, Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic, Evra, Rio, VDS, RVN, RVP he was not.

Those players and more were leagues above him, there are other players like O’Shea for example who had hundreds of appearances for us but were bang average players also. When you look back at the history of United players and premier league players his place will be run of the mill, he won’t be revered like SAF will revere him because ability wise he was simply a run of the mill player. Bang average in comparison to the list above.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Scott McTominay, simply unbelievable how Jose, Ole, Ralf and even Fergie all love him. Such an average player in my opinion. Decent energy, not Premier League level technically and even defensively, which everyone heralds him for, all I see is the least positionally aware midfielder in the top half and a very weak player in the challenge.
Agreed. I’ve a season ticket in the stretford end….I’ve never seen so many players get into scoring positions by running off the back of a player.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Fans that read the official magazine did not want him to retire because of his brilliant diary that he published in said magazine. He scored 31 goals in his first season, then he didn't gel with Hughes (when Sir Alex bought him back), and that was the major reason why he scored so few goals. But he was still important because he lent his experience to Scholes and Butt especially. I remember Choccy time and time again intercepting a pass from the opposition and passing it to one of his teammates. He read the game well. McClair also scored the equalizer against West Ham (in the last match of the season) in 1995 in that trophy-less season.