Gaming PlayStation 5

Tiber

Here's the fine print...

Upgrade may be offered at no additional cost or for a fee and may be available for a limited time. If players have a PS4™ game on Blu-ray™ Disc, they will need to insert the PS4 game disc to see the upgrade path, download the PS5 version and keep the PS4™ game disc inserted each time they play the PS5™ version of the game. To upgrade eligible PS4 disc titles to digital PS5 versions, players need a PS5™ console with a disc drive.
oh, thats different then. Glad to have the physical edition.

b82REZ

I’ve looked it up and the general consensus seems to be you’ll get the full digital download on the PS5 but you’ll still need to insert the disc as a pseudo key but it won’t read from the disc after that
Yeah. You're not getting an digital edition of the game. You're getting a free upgrade for your old games (or certain old games). It'll be like downloading a day one patch. It'd absoultely ruin the industry if you could buy a physical edition, upgrade and then trade in while keeping a digital edition.

I don't think a lot of games will have this day one, or even for the first few months. I know the Cyberpunk upgrade is going to available until 2021. I'd imagine some first party Sony games will have the enhancements on the PS5 release though.

Heardy

Is there any reliable estimate of how many pre orders have been made? Just curious but would be interesting to see how big demand was given how many struggled to get one this week.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Paxi

According to the specs it's only HDMI 2.0 though so can't do 4k 120hz with PS5?
No but you’ll still get a smoother experience as the panel will be 120hz. I had the last years offering which was 60hz and it’s definitely noticeable even if you’re not playing at 120hz refresh rates. Also, you’ve no chance getting HDMI 2.1 unless you’re looking to spend £1500 on a tv. Only LG Oled, Premium Samsungs and Premium Sony’s are doing 2.1. I’d maybe expect 2.1 to come to cheaper sets in summer 2021.

Tiber

I'm sure it would be nice to have a flashy TV, but I have never been able to prioritise it. I did pick up a decent curved Samsung last year, but it was for around £399 in a sale, good TV but far from top spec. Before that I never even had a smart TV or 4k.

Its the same with my PC, I would rather have a few new games or a part of for the actual PC than a fancy monitor.

Balljy

No but you’ll still get a smoother experience as the panel will be 120hz. I had the last years offering which was 60hz and it’s definitely noticeable even if you’re not playing at 120hz refresh rates. Also, you’ve no chance getting HDMI 2.1 unless you’re looking to spend £1500 on a tv. Only LG Oled, Premium Samsungs and Premium Sony’s are doing 2.1. I’d maybe expect 2.1 to come to cheaper sets in summer 2021.
I'm not saying it's cheap, but I managed to get HDMI 2.1 in the Samsung Q70T. Still £999 though, but may go on sale at some stage.

fergosaurus

Hi, can anyone advise me of a good TV to get the best out of the PS5. I am not looking at super expensive ones, just an idea what people are using?
Misread your post initially and thought you were just curious about what the best specs were so my reply made no sense because LG OLEDs are over a grand. What @MaxiPaxi said, 120hz / 1080p is better than 60hz / 4K. Hopefully HDMI 2.1 options come down in price now that next gen gaming is here and there will be more being produced.

Paxi

I'm not saying it's cheap, but I managed to get HDMI 2.1 in the Samsung Q70T. Still £999 though, but may go on sale at some stage.
Oh, right. Thought only Q90T and last years versions did 2.1. Poster did mention he wasn’t looking for something overly expensive - which subjective but most people don’t feel like spending a grand on a tv.

Paxi

Misread your post initially and thought you were just curious about what the best specs were so my reply made no sense because LG OLEDs are over a grand. What @MaxiPaxi said, 120hz / 1080p is better than 60hz / 4K. Hopefully HDMI 2.1 options come down in price now that next gen gaming is here and there will be more being produced.
Well I got the LG OLED which is 120hz and comparing to GX800 which is 60hz - you can notice the difference, despite the consoles being locked at either 30/60. I certainly did. Obviously it also comes down to motion as well.

Bojan11

Even HDMI 2.1 monitors are going to cost a bomb.

For those considering an RTX 3000-series card, AMD’s Radeon 6000, or want a monitor for the PS5/Xbox Series X/S, the Acer XV282K KV could be an enticing upgrade. It’s priced at ¥8499.00 (around $1,246), and pre-orders are now live with shipping expected in January.
https://www.techspot.com/news/86768-acer-reveals-28-inch-4k-144hz-gaming-monitor.html

2E_MUFC

What’s going on with Argos? I was told yesterday my order didn’t go through and I would get my money back. Yet tonight they text me saying my pre order will arrive
On release day. With an order number. :confused:

Tiber

What’s going on with Argos? I was told yesterday my order didn’t go through and I would get my money back. Yet tonight they text me saying my pre order will arrive
On release day. With an order number. :confused:
Check with the live chat?

How did you find out it didn't go through?

2E_MUFC

Check with the live chat?

How did you find out it didn't go through?
I nipped in one of the stores and asked them and the woman put my email in and said nothings had gone through. I’ve signed into my account and it’s also in my orders

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Holy shit. I forgot about this game. It really felt next gen at the time. I remember thinking how good and shiny it looked. Just watched a video there and while it holds up quite well, it’s certainly not wowing me. Funny how that works.
It really was next gen though. The difference between motorstorm and an equivalent PS2 game is crazy.

You can tell evolution studios made both driveclub and motorstorm though.

Now we have 5 PS5 launch window titles that in hyped about but most of those are coming to ps4

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
One thing I’m dreading is the lack of back buttons on the new controller. Have gotten so used to the back button attachment on the PS4 controller for playing games like Apex and going back is going to be horrible.

Seems strange not to have a similar item or pro controller available at launch for those who loved the PS4 one.

Does anyone know if it’ll be possible to use the PS4 controller on PS5?

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
So if there is another wave of pre-orders, which places are reliable that don't require you to pay the full whack up front?

Shark

@NotShark
One thing I’m dreading is the lack of back buttons on the new controller. Have gotten so used to the back button attachment on the PS4 controller for playing games like Apex and going back is going to be horrible.

Seems strange not to have a similar item or pro controller available at launch for those who loved the PS4 one.

I'd imagine most definitely not. Never happened in previous generations.

Adamsk7

I'd imagine most definitely not. Never happened in previous generations.
Apparently yes for PS4 games, no for PS5. Considering what constitutes which is a bit sketchy at best anyway, who knows!

CallyRed

John Lewis. The details not checking out is bollocks. Probably what they’re saying to people they’re cancelling.
I had this message from John Lewis when I ordered a Mac using a credit card years ago.

shabz

Will the console be shipping with a 2.1 HDMI cable? I've got a TV that has a 2.1 port, with the cable I use make a difference?

Tiber

You can play PS4 games on a Ps5 using a DS4 but all PS5 games require a dualsense.

I never got a back button attachment, game sold out before launch and never restocked

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
You can play PS4 games on a Ps5 using a DS4 but all PS5 games require a dualsense.

I never got a back button attachment, game sold out before launch and never restocked
How will that stand with games like Fortnite/Warzone/Apex etc?