Gaming PlayStation 5

AaronRedDevil

Good to hear, I'm torn on what to start next. Had about an hour on days gone, about 30 mins on GoW and I've got TLOU2 staring at me after just finishing the 1st one.

Feel like a change of pace could be good there with GoW
While TLOU 2 is great. God of War is just perfect, the story is really interesting and the gameplay is fun. You won’t be disappointed. Lucky that you’ve 2 great games to play next. I’ve no new games and I’ve played them all :lol:

Moby

Dick
Just finished God of War for the 3rd time. What a fecking masterpiece. Everything about it is perfection. And hearing all the stories of Thor and Odin makes me scared as hell to them. Don’t think I’ve ever had a massive expectation going into the next game. I’m expecting Odin to be one of the most evil bastard in gaming history with how smart and manipulative he is.
I've finished it once, I guess if you feel invested in all that lore and history they keep talking about then it would be a really great experience. For me, I couldn't be less interested in which god once farted in which other god's face or whatever so I barely ever paid attention to any of that and pretty much powered through the main story. Still a pretty good experience in terms of visuals, cinematics and combat no doubt.

As for the rest, are we sure Odin and Thor are gonna show up as enemies in the next one. For one, there are some theories that the dream Atreus had about Thor coming to their house is actually not a fight but Thor coming to Kratos for help regarding Ragnorak. But even otherwise, if they show up as enemies, based on the main story enemies we had in this one i.e. Baldur, Thor's sons and the rest of random stuff, they were all pretty manageable, especially as compared to the Valks where the boss design is quite challenging and you have to be on top of your reflexes. But the rest of the main story enemies were always too slow and gave massive windows between attacks, unlike the Valks. Based on that even if Odin/Thor etc show up in a fight they'd probably be on the same lines, as I feel they don't want to make the main story too hard for the mass audience. For those interested in harder fights, they've added the Valks as optional in this one, and could have something like that.

Moby

Dick
I barely got past the first section before deleting it.
Basically the part that is in the demo? I remember playing the demo and finishing that first chapter and almost immediately bought it. Glad I held out and got it for free now. Absolutely enjoyed every second of that first chapter, that was so much fun, not sure how anyone isn't entertained by that.

You couldn’t beat the Scorpion boss could you?
:lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Basically the part that is in the demo? I remember playing the demo and finishing that first chapter and almost immediately bought it. Glad I held out and got it for free now. Absolutely enjoyed every second of that first chapter, that was so much fun, not sure how anyone isn't entertained by that.

:lol:
I just found it too annoying having to switch between characters in real time whilst also having to dodge, plan attacks, aim at specific parts and heal the characters. That was with only two of them, I'm sure the party gets bigger.

Moby

Dick
I just found it too annoying having to switch between characters in real time whilst also having to dodge, plan attacks, aim at specific parts and heal the characters. That was with only two of them, I'm sure the party gets bigger.
You misspelt 'exciting'.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I deleted it. Not downloading it again so you'll have to suffer through Esmu's presence.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah, I meant the original. I imagine this is a similar (albiet much smaller) experience in the modern age.
No it's not similar at all, really. It pretty much follows the same storyline but it expands on it massively and totally changes the look and feel and the combat of the game. Midgar was a 3-4 hour segment in the original game, it's 30-40 hours in this.

It's also a massive nostalgia trip for people who loved the original which is why people who haven't played the original probably don't enjoy it as much.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The original hasn't aged very well. IX has aged the best out of the PS1 games. X and XII have aged well too, bar some dodgy voice acting.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I've finished it once, I guess if you feel invested in all that lore and history they keep talking about then it would be a really great experience. For me, I couldn't be less interested in which god once farted in which other god's face or whatever so I barely ever paid attention to any of that and pretty much powered through the main story. Still a pretty good experience in terms of visuals, cinematics and combat no doubt.

As for the rest, are we sure Odin and Thor are gonna show up as enemies in the next one. For one, there are some theories that the dream Atreus had about Thor coming to their house is actually not a fight but Thor coming to Kratos for help regarding Ragnorak. But even otherwise, if they show up as enemies, based on the main story enemies we had in this one i.e. Baldur, Thor's sons and the rest of random stuff, they were all pretty manageable, especially as compared to the Valks where the boss design is quite challenging and you have to be on top of your reflexes. But the rest of the main story enemies were always too slow and gave massive windows between attacks, unlike the Valks. Based on that even if Odin/Thor etc show up in a fight they'd probably be on the same lines, as I feel they don't want to make the main story too hard for the mass audience. For those interested in harder fights, they've added the Valks as optional in this one, and could have something like that.
Stop playing games on easy mode :p

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The original hasn't aged very well. IX has aged the best out of the PS1 games. X and XII have aged well too, bar some dodgy voice acting.
I struggle with X’s linearity now, or I certainly did the last time I played it.

Do love the Dark Aeon battles though and the fact you could break the 9999 cap.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No it's not similar at all, really. It pretty much follows the same storyline but it expands on it massively and totally changes the look and feel and the combat of the game. Midgar was a 3-4 hour segment in the original game, it's 30-40 hours in this.

It's also a massive nostalgia trip for people who loved the original which is why people who haven't played the original probably don't enjoy it as much.
I know. But it just doesn't feel like a remake of one of the greatest games ever. I mean, I'm liking the remake. But me thinks FF games are a bit overrated. Plus I've always disliked turn based combat so I think I'd like the original less.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Yeah, I finished GoW a few weeks ago, and I kind of lost interest in it towards the end. I think the game is good, but I don't get how it's held up as this masterpiece. I think the combat is fine, but it's nothing special for me. Visually it's obviously very striking, but I found the story quite tedious towards the end and just switched off every time a cutscene would take place. Also, that bloody kid was pissing me off more as the game went on! :lol:
Always surprised by how much reverence people have for it. But hey, that's opinions for you.

I know they are very different games, but I see you mentioned you had TLOU Part 2. That game is infinitely better, IMO. Both story-wise and in terms of combat.

Moby

Dick
Stop playing games on easy mode :p
:lol: I play on Balanced. And in these kinda games increasing difficulty basically just means stat buffs and debuffs. So just same fights but longer. But yeah, Balanced is not much challenging but increasing the difficulty won't make magni and Modi suddenly teleporting around Kratos with new range of attacks instead of taking 5 minutes charging an attack before releasing it. :lol:

rotherham_red

Also Game Collection always seem to sell games much cheaper, are they the new Shopto?

Steelbook edition of Like a Dragon is only £25 on there. It was £45 everywhere else.
They're great. My go to for any game releases.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm in the middle of chapter 16 of ff7 and it's taken me 32 hours on normal. I've done every side quest.

What a terrific game.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Is there any PS4 games where you feel the updated graphics have increased your enjoyment of the game? I feel atm apart from the PS5 being out of stock everywhere there aren't really any must have games out on it. Demon soul's remake looks nice, but I played through the original tons of times already.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Is there any PS4 games where you feel the updated graphics have increased your enjoyment of the game? I feel atm apart from the PS5 being out of stock everywhere there aren't really any must have games out on it. Demon soul's remake looks nice, but I played through the original tons of times already.
Destiny 2 was massively improved. Free to play combined with the increased frame rate and improved fidelity of the particle effects has blown me away and is great fun.

I think the Days Gone update has done it big favours. On my OG PS4 the game would stutter and drop in frames and I never really thought it was a great looking game. With the PS5 update running at 4K/60fps it’s made a noticeable difference for me and it’s free on PS plus collection which is a bonus.

I’ve heard similar things to the above with Ghost of Tsushima too but that’s on my list to pick back up.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Hmmm. Think I'm like 50-60 hours in, chapter 18...
Up to 37 hours and near the end of chapter 17 now.

How many fecking boss fights do they want to cram into this game?

I'm actually at the point where I'd like to finish the game now but I'm still two bosses from ending this penultimate chapter