Gaming PlayStation 5

Bosws87

Bungie made destiny, right?
Some other crap game called Halo also.

Seems an obvious purchase Sony have never had a decent First Person Shooter studio they have been trying forever (Haze anyone :lol:) finally they have one capable of it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
For now, we will see.

Thats exactly the route Microsoft took us down with their acquisitions.
It is pretty clear cut in Bungie's statement

We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play.
with the Bethesda and Activision acquisitions there's only been the commitment to fulfill the "current contractual obligations". After 2023, there'll be no more CoD on PS outside of Warzone. In neither statement there was nothing anywhere near as commital as that so I'm confident Bungie games will stay multiplatform for years to come.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm surprised it's Bungie. If they were going to buy anyone I would have guessed Square Enix. I guess EA's the next big one and I'm not sure if Sony could afford that one, so could be another Microsoft purchase.

redom

Bit of a strange one, Bungie are a big studio but they only really have the Destiny ip right?
They're in development of a new ip, tentatively titled "Matter", which very little is known about right now and probably won't release for another 3-4 years at least.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Was saying the other day after the Activision purchase that Sony should focus one of their studios on making a multiplayer shooter. Well, I guess they got one now.

Damien

Staff
I'm surprised it's Bungie. If they were going to buy anyone I would have guessed Square Enix. I guess EA's the next big one and I'm not sure if Sony could afford that one, so could be another Microsoft purchase.
My guess is they were kinda cornered into going for Bungie as MS has pretty much got most of the entire shooter market locked down so it was a case of go for Bungie or have nothing outside of those agreements with the new studios formed.

It's still one of the most played games out there and bungie will have the architects coming soon
Is that what their new IP is about? Or is it an expansion for Destiny?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So what changes for here? For Sony and Bungie? They get access to Sony studios (sharing of ideas and tech)? They have Sony fully behind them in terms of budget and marketing? Timed exclusivity deals? Bargaining chip when dealing with MS? :confused:

DavelinaJolie

My guess is they were kinda cornered into going for Bungie as MS has pretty much got most of the entire shooter market locked down so it was a case of go for Bungie or have nothing outside of those agreements with the new studios formed.

Apparently this deal has been in the making for months. And Jim Ryan (okay, he's a proven liar, but still) himself has said:

"Bungie’s successful track record in multi-format publishing and live game services will assist us in realizing our ambitions to take PlayStation beyond the console and increase our potential audience."
They know the game isn't consoles now, its various revenue streams, Bungie is an attempt to help them diversify.

Damien

Staff
So what changes for here? For Sony and Bungie? They get access to Sony studios (sharing of ideas and tech)? They have Sony fully behind them in terms of budget and marketing? Timed exclusivity deals? Bargaining chip when dealing with MS? :confused:
No exclusivity but on Bungie's end they get access to the Sony support studios and the marketing, and on the Sony side of things they get a steady revenue stream from a GaaS and a publisher/developer with big experience in a genre that they're weak in as well as the knowledge of working on live service games which will help the Sony side of things with Factions, Twisted Metal, Haven's game etc etc.
Q. Will any announced seasons, events, packs, or expansions be changed or impacted by Bungie becoming part of PlayStation?
No. Bungie retains full creative independence for our games and our community. Our plans for the Light and Dark Saga are unchanged, all the way through The Final Shape in 2024.

Q. Will Destiny 2: The Witch Queen include any platform exclusives?
No. The Witch Queen will not contain any platform exclusives. Every player should have an amazing Destiny experience, no matter where you choose to play

Q. Will cross platform features, like Cross Save, Cross Play, the Destiny 2 Companion App, or third-party apps like Destiny Item Manager (DIM) be changed or removed?
No. Bungie’s commitment to cross-platform play and social features remains unchanged. We believe games are best shared with friends, wherever they choose to play, and will continue to invest in new features and platforms.

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives?
No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community.

Q. I play Destiny on Steam, Xbox, or Stadia – will my platform still be supported?
Yes.

Chairman Steve

If Sony really wants to make some noise, then buy Capcom.

Future Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry games being console exclusives would be a killer app move.

afrocentricity

No exclusivity but on Bungie's end they get access to the Sony support studios and the marketing, and on the Sony side of things they get a steady revenue stream from a GaaS and a publisher/developer with big experience in a genre that they're weak in as well as the knowledge of working on live service games which will help the Sony side of things with Factions, Twisted Metal, Haven's game etc etc.
Not ruling any future console exclusives there. Anything more clear-cut Damo?

Damien

Staff

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

I think that's what some of the characters in the new IP will be named, as in destiny you are killed by the architects when dieing via falling off and I think they did something similar for destiny when they had halo.

Revan

Assumptionman
Very good move by Sony. Was expecting it to be SquareEnix, but Bungie makes more sense considering that Microsoft now controls almost the entire shooter space. With Bungie, Sony can now have a shooter of its own and if it becomes big, can play tit for tat with Microsoft when it comes to new shooter games (lock Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 12 and we lock New Shooter 2).

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Good move by Sony. Even if it they do continue to output multiplatform, they had to make that move else risk Bungie being acquired by Xbox again and being locked away. Bungie are 100% capable of a huge FPS multiplayer game (less GAAS as destiny and more pvp/arena), and I'd be very surprised if Sony didn't push for a 2nd team to make an exclusive in time for 2025 holidays (multiplayer only).

Like with Insomniac, it's cheap (cheaper, I should say..) because of the lack of IPs. But Destiny blew up, and Bungie are no doubt well placed to spin up another big IP.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Some other crap game called Halo also.

Seems an obvious purchase Sony have never had a decent First Person Shooter studio they have been trying forever (Haze anyone :lol:) finally they have one capable of it.
Yeah it's been a while for sure. Killzone was probably the best. Resistance was alright too.

Anyway good news for us Sony gamers :)

If Sony really wants to make some noise, then buy Capcom.

Future Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry games being console exclusives would be a killer app move.
Sony have been moving much further into operations in the West over recent years so I imagine this acquisition was easier to get over the line. While Sony as a brand are JP, Sony Interactive Entertainment, which is basically the gaming side of things now, are more American. The head office is based in California IIRC.

Capcom would have been huge though, no doot aboot it.

b82REZ

Not too interested in anything in Bungie's catalogue, but secures Sony a dev that have a rich history of creating new IP and especially in a genre Sony lack.

However I think the bigger plan is to use Bungie and their future projects as a bargaining chip. I think this will have been more a response to the Bethesda acquisition than Activision.

While Starfield will be Gamepass exclusive, I can see deals being made for Elder Scrolls 6. Admittedly that is a minimum of 5 years away and the whole gaming landscape could be completely different by then but I think Sony are trying to stem the tide of MS making all major third party IP Gamepass exclusive.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Seems like a waste of money from my perspective.
But then again I was never a fan of bungie games so it isn't supposed to matter to people like me.

Bosws87

Seems like a waste of money from my perspective.
But then again I was never a fan of bungie games so it isn't supposed to matter to people like me.
Thankfully you aren't in charge, hates a first person shooter :nervous:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Who is left on the table? There is no longer any unrealistic possibilities. MS might look to EA or Rockstar and Sony might consider Konami or Square

5 years from now there might be no major publishers left it will just be Sony, MS and Nintendo and a bunch of indie studios

If everything is subscription by then too..

Traub

Who is left on the table? There is no longer any unrealistic possibilities. MS might look to EA or Rockstar and Sony might consider Konami or Square

5 years from now there might be no major publishers left it will just be Sony, MS and Nintendo and a bunch of indie studios

Cloud gaming with subscription… seems inevitable

Bosws87

Can't see any others that jump out, i don't believe Activision thing would of happened if they weren't already getting hammered for all the work environment stuff they had been in the press for.

Can't see EA/Take two being open to the prospect.

Bosws87

Cloud gaming with subscription… seems inevitable
PC player base will see to that not being a thing, not so sure on the console people they seem to just accept whatever's thrown at them unfortunately.

Chuck us an underpriced service for a few years with some quality content then slowly phase out the hardware so you are tied in then bang up the price.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
PC player base will see to that not being a thing, not so sure on the console people they seem to just accept whatever's thrown at them unfortunately.

Chuck us an underpriced service for a few years with some quality content then slowly phase out the hardware so you are tied in then bang up the price.
I have no issue with subscription based but wouldn’t be interested in cloud streaming. And I think many console players would be the same. Also the world as a whole is nowhere near being ready for that for the foreseeable future, far too many places don’t and won’t have internet capable of running games seamlessly

Bosws87

I have no issue with subscription based but wouldn’t be interested in cloud streaming. And I think many console players would be the same. Also the world as a whole is nowhere near being ready for that for the foreseeable future, far too many places don’t and won’t have internet capable of running games seamlessly
No doubt it's a long way off but you can see the process of it happening now.

I'd be fine with the option of cloud gaming on single player titles for sure, but i still want my game copy with mods etc.

I'd hate to be 3 years into a platform and then if i decided to stop paying it i own nothing.

They should co-exist not be slowly trying to cut out the hardware approach.

Adam-Utd

Good move by Sony. Even if it they do continue to output multiplatform, they had to make that move else risk Bungie being acquired by Xbox again and being locked away. Bungie are 100% capable of a huge FPS multiplayer game (less GAAS as destiny and more pvp/arena), and I'd be very surprised if Sony didn't push for a 2nd team to make an exclusive in time for 2025 holidays (multiplayer only).

Like with Insomniac, it's cheap (cheaper, I should say..) because of the lack of IPs. But Destiny blew up, and Bungie are no doubt well placed to spin up another big IP.
bungie are already working on another IP and have been for quite a while. it’s still quite secretive atm but I believe it’s supposed to be a ‘competitive shooter’. I wonder if this is mainly what sony is buying it for (along with destiny)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Like MS last purchase don't care. Budgie make games that don't interest me at all.