Please read: Upgrade to XenForo v1.2

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I have just completed the upgrade of XenForo to version 1.2.

There are a number of improvements to the forum with this release, including:

New WYSIWYG editor
The old TinyMce editor was a bit flaky and didn't work on many mobile devices. The new editor is based on Redactor which works on mobile and is a welcome improvement.

The new editor also includes auto-saving of drafts every 60 seconds so if you reload a page without posting your message, the editor will remember it.

Read more about the new editor here:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/a-new-editor-and-much-much-more.50519/

User tagging
Related to the new editor, you can now tag user's names in a post. You can use @Niall style syntax to tag users in a post:

Tagged users will receive an alert when they're tagged, so it's a nice way to draw their attention to your post. Just don't go around spamming people willy-nilly or banning sticks will be waved :)

Responsive design
The site design now works much better on small screen devices like mobile phones and tablets. So no more fiddly zooming and scrolling on your phone.

It isn't perfect in all areas of the site but I'm trying to work through and fix the rough edges. If you spot any weirdness when using your phone or tablet, please let me know and I'll sort it out.

Watch a forum
You can now receive updates about new content is specific forums.
Read more here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/watching-a-forum.51048/

Conversation / Private Message Management Improvements
Bulk modifying of conversations is now easier.
Read more here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/conversation-management-improvements.51204/

New Members Page
Previously you could browse all members on the site. This came with quite a performance overhead so now the Members section just shows notable members, members celebrating a birthday today and staff members.

Add-on Updates
The main add-on upgrade was Tapatalk, so if you are a user, please let me know if you encounter any issues. I know push notifications aren't working, but that's not a new problem :)

I hope you like the new improvements. As always with these updates, if you notice anything that's not working quite right or just plain broken, please let me know.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It is so much better on mobiles now it's ridiculous. Awesome job.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
First in!

How does the @ tag work? I tried it, but could not get the menu dropdown.
Type '@' followed by the name of the user you want to tag (no space after @). As you type a menu should appear with users matching that name. If there is no menu it means you are spelling the name wrong :)

Last edited:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Great job. About 50% of my caf time is on my phone and it is already miles better.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Finally we have the editor on mobiles and ipads. Being able to tag users with spaces is good too!

I like how it looks on the mobile when you're in the thread, but I don't like how the homescreen looks on the mobilel, at all and I got no clue how to delete these damn smileys that have appeared.

Edit: ignore that last bit.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Such upgrade, much pretty, many shiny. wow.

Gladiator

Excellent work niall. From someone who does a bit of coding, this is really great stuff. The migration to Xenforo looks really smooth. Great updates too.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Type '@' followed by the name of the user you want to tag (no space after @). As you type a menu should appear with users matching that name. If there is no menu it means you are spelling the name wrong :)
Doesn't work for me. Maybe it is because of old browsers not supported anymore (still using IE8 in office). The emoticons/formatting munu in reply (More Options) is also not visible anymore. Same reason?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
@Niall the mobile compatibility is awesome however I have noticed when writing a long post (bigger than the viewable text box) it doesn't seem to scroll down easily to show you what you are typing, which is slightly annoying.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
@Niall the mobile compatibility is awesome however I have noticed when writing a long post (bigger than the viewable text box) it doesn't seem to scroll down easily to show you what you are typing, which is slightly annoying.
If everyone learned to speak like doge this wouldn't be an issue.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
It's awesome when viewed via a mobile...none of the zooming in and out.

Happy days!

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Finally we have the editor on mobiles and ipads. Being able to tag users with spaces is good too!

I like how it looks on the mobile when you're in the thread, but I don't like how the homescreen looks on the mobilel, at all and I got no clue how to delete these damn smileys that have appeared.

Edit: ignore that last bit.
Agreed that the home screen responsive design is pretty poor. It definitely needs work, it's on my list as of now :-)

MoneyMay

Great update, Niall.

I can't access the site when I type the url in the search box. I can only access it by either typing it on Google or loading a thread I have bookmarked (or stored in my history). I've also cleared my cache.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Great update, Niall.

I can't access the site when I type the url in the search box. I can only access it by either typing it on Google or loading a thread I have bookmarked (or stored in my history). I've also cleared my cache.
What URL are you typing exactly?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Drop down boxes with the @ function is great.

Though boo to the update forcing me to work properly today :lol:

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Wooooo. Fancy stuff Niall.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
When I view the site on my phone, all the text is down one side of my screen, the other half of the screen is blank (or grey). The writing is so small I still have to zoom in. Is this a phone setting that I can do something about (on Android)?

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Looks so much better on mobiles now! Top work Niall.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
When I view the site on my phone, all the text is down one side of my screen, the other half of the screen is blank (or grey). The writing is so small I still have to zoom in. Is this a phone setting that I can do something about (on Android)?
Screenshots?

Joemo

whistling in the wind
In conversations, and in threads too really, there could do with being a button that allows you to post without having to scroll to the bottom of the page. Or a button that takes you to the bottom of the page would be good.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Any update pending to sort out the multi quotes @Niall ?

I weep for @Big Red every time he has to quote all the lineups in the lineups thread.