Pogba and Fernandes

Gasolin

Come on man! Let's just agree to disagree on him. We've had this conversation over two different threads now ;)

The numbers fully support what I'm saying in terms of his quality, and calling him a 'virus' is a bit OTT. I'll leave you to your frustrations with him. You are at Graeme Souness levels of 'sour'ness levels with Pogba. Here's hoping you don't loose your mind like him.

I thought fans often have 'rose tinted glasses' for their own players. Just a question - can you list out which of our outfield players you really rate as 'united quality'? Will be good to see if your cynicism stretches beyond Pogba
I for one agree with you, Pogba can have an extra option to pass to with Bruno, a player who will always ask for the ball. When that happens, he will be lifted as well. Bruno can be our catalyst, the Cantona we have been waiting for, because Pogba was not able to do it.
But when Pogba is lifted, he is able to do world class passes and shots and that would translate into goals. Essentially, he's able to get into the box for us. He would be a fantastic option.

izzydiggler

I'll be surprised if fans boo him on the ground when he comes back. Will he quite sad if it happens. I still feel that the haters are a minority but I could be wrong.
Sad? I genuinely don't get it. We can argue about his effort and application but I think it's beyond question that he has disrespected the club and is desperate to leave.

I'm not a 'booer' myself but If he was booed, I don't think he could feel aggrieved at all.

Last edited:

Shiva87

Sad? I genuinely don't get it. We can argue about his effort and application but I think it's beyond question that he has disrespected the club and is desperate to leave.

I'm not a 'booer' myself but If he was booed, I don't think he could feel aggrieved at all.
I don't think he has disrespected the club. Is there a direct quote linked to him anywhere on this? Mino is his problem, I agree. But Mino isn't Pogba. We as fans need to separate the two. Shouldn't be booing our own players at all. It happened to Fellaini, and I thought that was sad as well.

I for one agree with you, Pogba can have an extra option to pass to with Bruno, a player who will always ask for the ball. When that happens, he will be lifted as well. Bruno can be our catalyst, the Cantona we have been waiting for, because Pogba was not able to do it.
But when Pogba is lifted, he is able to do world class passes and shots and that would translate into goals. Essentially, he's able to get into the box for us. He would be a fantastic option.
Agree. I don't want to overrate Bruno yet given its early days. However Pogba and him in the same team could really influence our play in the attacking third. There is always the chance that they both get in each other's way, but fingers crossed - they are both smarter than that.

RUCK4444

He won’t be booed, took years and years for the match going fans to turn on Fellaini ffs, never mind our best player :lol:

Jokes aside though I doubt he will be booed at all, nor do I agree with booing any player within the squad.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We might have to mess about a bit with a 5-3-2 where the wing backs sit centrally at times to make up for Pogba and Fernandez being up field.
Basically how City play at times when they incorporate D Silva and De Bruyne.

fps

I don't think he has disrespected the club. Is there a direct quote linked to him anywhere on this? Mino is his problem, I agree. But Mino isn't Pogba. We as fans need to separate the two. Shouldn't be booing our own players at all. It happened to Fellaini, and I thought that was sad as well.
Don't need to separate the two at all. Raiola is doing everything he's doing to make his client happy, it's all done with Pogba's absolute, 100% approval.

I'd certainly prefer to see him rot in the reserves than see the club bow to a thing like Raiola. £100m and off in the summer, I hope.

wolvored

He won’t be booed, took years and years for the match going fans to turn on Fellaini ffs, never mind our best player :lol:

Jokes aside though I doubt he will be booed at all, nor do I agree with booing any player within the squad.
Its already happened. Here

izzydiggler

Do you genuinely believe this? I can't believe any sane person would...I'm trying not to be an arsehole about it but it seems complete delusion to me.

Wayne's World

Imagine If we kept Pogba and bought Partey in with Bruno :drool:

Under a new manager, we would be challenging for the league with that midfield

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's weird how there is no one in the United camp complaining about pogba.
Every player and manager that has worked with him (barring the narcissistic Mourinho) speak highly of Pogba. Andy Mitten has time and time again reiterated what a fantastic person Pogba is. Fred just recently spoke about Pogba being a fantastic person to Brazilian media.

mancan92

Every player and manager that has worked with him (barring the narcissistic Mourinho) speak highly of Pogba. Andy Mitten has time and time again reiterated what a fantastic person Pogba is. Fred just recently spoke about Pogba being a fantastic person to Brazilian media.
Yeah it really makes no sense. You would think atleast someone would comment on him but literally not one person has. It's a bit weird.

Danillaco

This in a 4222 would be great, Fred and McT behind Pogba and Bruno, with Rashford and Martial up top would destroy some teams.

Allows the front four to fully drift around whilst having more than one creative outlet for low blocks to worry about.
This. The best we can put out, and it's a hell of a team.

But we need a manager that can make the team play and be a great tactician. Ole is not.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Could happen soon. Pogba posted a picture today with the emojis implying hes back to playing really soon. Hope we do this, and basically make Pogba a left winger. Could work tbh.
Martial
Pogba Bruno Greenwood
Fred Matic/McT
Back 4 + gk​

micmac

With Pogba and Bruno comes alot of flair and excitement. Hopefully we can hang on to Pogba and bring in another midfielder who is a defensive beast. As good as Matic is or combative as McT/Fred is we would really need somebody who can put in that extra shift to protect the back 4.

cyril C

Could happen soon. Pogba posted a picture today with the emojis implying hes back to playing really soon. Hope we do this, and basically make Pogba a left winger. Could work tbh.
Martial
Pogba Bruno Greenwood
Fred Matic/McT
Back 4 + gk​
4 central MF although not exactly parking the bus. Absolutely no width at all although we don't have too many true wingers neither.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Martial - Bruno Fernandes - Greenwood
Fred - Pogba
Matic
Shaw - Maguire - Lindelof/Bailly--AWB
I'd like something like this -

Bruno Fernandes playing as a False 9/CAM

With Martial & Greenwood as strikers playing off him in a wider way on the counter but narrow on the attack.

I think we will have to play defensive fullbacks though to make it work.

I doubt Ole is really going to change tactics this late in to the season though.

A bit like the diamond 442 with some slight tweaks.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
4 central MF although not exactly parking the bus. Absolutely no width at all although we don't have too many true wingers neither.
4 midfielders but Bruno plays as a proper #10 and Pogba has in the past basically played out wide. Think he'd actually play the role really well (and wouldn't look like a central midfielder playing wide). His qualities suit the position tbh.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Martial - Bruno Fernandes - Greenwood
Fred - Pogba
Matic
Shaw - Maguire - Lindelof/Bailly--AWB
I'd like something like this -

Bruno Fernandes playing as a False 9/CAM

With Martial & Greenwood as strikers playing off him in a wider way on the counter but narrow on the attack.

I think we will have to play defensive fullbacks though to make it work.

I doubt Ole is really going to change tactics this late in to the season though.

A bit like the diamond 442 with some slight tweaks.
It looks like a variant of 4-3-1-2 with Bruno in Deco's.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It looks like a variant of 4-3-1-2 with Bruno in Deco's.

Yeah that looks quite similar.

It was actually seeing him after I think it was the first game he played in the 352 vs Chelsea where Martial & James was playing upfront - Bruno Fernandes was having to play quite high up to try get anything to them & at the same time Fred & Matic couldn't get the ball to Fernandes because he was quite high up the pitch aswell. I felt at time he looked like he was almost playing as the CAM he is but making these intelligent runs where you couldn't really distinguish him from the forward line & I thought he would be good if we could get the ball to him more often.

I think if Pogba does get back in to the team though - we can push Fernandes a bit higher up the pitch and let him become a more deadly version of himself, get him in to some more goal scoring positions and places where he can set up Martial & Greenwood to score goals on rotation.

Make him a proper focal point.

Whilst some of the deeper creativity drops to Pogba.

Try to unlock that Sporting Lisbon goal scoring potential in him a bit earlier out of him.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah that looks quite similar.

It was actually seeing him after I think it was the first game he played in the 352 vs Chelsea where Martial & James was playing upfront - Bruno Fernandes was having to play quite high up to try get anything to them & at the same time Fred & Matic couldn't get the ball to Fernandes because he was quite high up the pitch aswell.

I think if Pogba does get back in to the team though - we can push Fernandes a bit higher up the pitch and let him become a more deadly version of himself, get him in to some more goal scoring positions and places where he can set up Martial & Greenwood to score goals on rotation.

Make him a proper focal point.

Whilst some of the deeper creativity drops to Pogba.
Yeh, that definitely could work. Pogba had his best at World Cup by spraying passes from relatively deep position, with occasional forward run.

bryant_s

Juventus once dominated Serie A with midfield consist of Pirlo-Vidal-Pogba. I wonder how Pogba-Fred/McT-Bruno will work for us.
Pogba as Deep-Lying Playmaker just like Pirlo
Freed/McT to cover ground and do the dirty work
Bruno in advance position

On paper, it will work in 4-3-3, 3-5-2, or 3-4-1-2
Imagine the service that will be received by our forward...

croadyman

Would be good to see Pogba & Bruno play together against City,my worry is that if Fernandes is only creative option he could end up getting shut down.

We saw the same thing with Pogba in first leg against PSG last season and have a feeling it could happen again.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I also like been fair but what his agent has done has been disrespectful to the club considering how we have accmodated him even at the expense of one of our manager.
It just gets draining and deviates focus from the issue at hand. I just feel like we will not be a stable team with him still around.
I don't disagree tbh. This is why he needs to come back, gain full fitness, finish the season strong and have a good summer tournament. This way, if the club decides to sell, his value would have increased at least.

EricTheKingTheKing

Going back to the OP's question, of how could we line up right now if Pogba was fit, i think it would be something like this
(i realise that a 3 at the back is unpopular, but clearly OGS is liking it)

DDG
LIND/BAILLY - MAGUIRE - SHAW
MCT - FRED
AWB - POGBA - BRUNO - WILLIAMS
MARTIAL

2xDM's for stronger teams (City, Pool etc

Possibly 4-1-4-1 for teams where we're going to dominate possession

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He isn't there for them to complain about. It's like saying why aren't the players complaining about Ole.
They didnt complain when he was their either

romufc

They didnt complain when he was their either
Tbh, we have a good team spirit and there aren't that many players that can point their fingers at Pogba. As a person, from what I see he is a good laugh and gets on with the players. His issue are not the players, it is the club.

Cassidy

Tbh, we have a good team spirit and there aren't that many players that can point their fingers at Pogba. As a person, from what I see he is a good laugh and gets on with the players. His issue are not the players, it is the club.
Agree

Cassidy

Anyway I for one cannot wait to see them in the team together. Sooner the better, yes probably only for this season but it will at least bring some much needed entertainment

cyril C

4 midfielders but Bruno plays as a proper #10 and Pogba has in the past basically played out wide. Think he'd actually play the role really well (and wouldn't look like a central midfielder playing wide). His qualities suit the position tbh.
Someone capable of playing out wide, like someone prefer playing out wide, is not the same as someone capable of playing out wide. Mata and Periera play out wide but you will never see them as winger. Lingard has got a bit of speed but he is still not a winger.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yeah, but if the die hard armchair fan thinks he is shit and has a terrible personality with too crazy hairstyles, it must be so

romufc

I mean Fred recently did.

Anyway in reference to the thread it can absolutely work just need our full backs to be at the top of their game to supply the width
He didnt complain about Ole. he was actually quite complimentary of him.