Pogba: "There are things I cannot say, otherwise I will get fined"

Jojo <3 Mou

So, maybe the comments were related to Martial's fine (as someone speculated earlier). I still think they were unnecessary and he shouldn't have made them. But, what's done is done.

The manager/head coach seems to be ready to move past all this drama and hopefully the team (including Pogba.... and Martial) are as well. The fans (me esp) really want to move on.

The tone has been set for the season by the press though, so we can expect to have many more mini dramas ahead. My hope is that us fans learn to discern the truth and stop jumping to conclusions. And, that the team will be united around a common goal, playing well and winning.

:keano:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I would hope people by now realize Pogba is not a trouble-maker. I keep repeating it but he is a model professional, and you will be hard-pressed to find his current or former coaches that will say anything remotely contrary to that. Hopefully this is all water under the bridge now and we can focus on the actual game but everyone knows the press won't allow that.

OL29

I would hope people by now realize Pogba is not a trouble-maker. I keep repeating it but he is a model professional, and you will be hard-pressed to find his current or former coaches that will say anything remotely contrary to that. Hopefully this is all water under the bridge now and we can focus on the actual game but everyone knows the press won't allow that.
Good post, it annoyed me how quick some of our fans were to turn on him.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don't see why it's going a bit too far to call him a model professional.
Depends on your definition of the term. If you are for player empowerment and all that jazz then there is a case to be made. I see model professional as someone who doesn't care for the media, including social media, and instead quietly gets on with things. Someone like Scholes, in his playing days at least. Pogba isn't the same to me.

OL29

Depends on your definition of the term. If you are for player empowerment and all that jazz then there is a case to be made. I see model professional as someone who doesn't care for the media, including social media, and instead quietly gets on with things. Someone like Scholes, in his playing days at least. Pogba isn't the same to me.
This myth that Scholes etc never were model professionals for their whole career needs to die, this is the same guy that outright refused to play in a league cup match.

If that was any modern day player everyone would be kicking off about how he thinks he's bigger than the club and all that nonsense. I love Scholes but hardly any player, past or present, is perfect so I don't get why people hold Pogba to such harsh standards whilst pining for the olden days.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Model professional is maybe going a bit far.
It's really not. If your reference of model professional is a guy like Scholes then fair enough, but Pogba is not a quiet, reserved personality and that goes more in line with today's footballer who market themselves. Despite all the attention he brings on himself, and the money it generates, you're never going to hear (true) stories of him getting into fights with his team-mates, missing practice, or being disrespectful, and he has played for some very demanding coaches so far in his career. Model professional is very apropos, it doesn't mean you have to be this guy who is quiet and never talks to the press....that's a recluse by today's standards.

Tarrou

be interesting to see if Pogba comes out over the weekend and says some nice things about jose too, which would indicate they've kissed and made up

good comments from the gaffer though

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
be interesting to see if Pogba comes out over the weekend and says some nice things about jose too, which would indicate they've kissed and made up

good comments from the gaffer though
But, most likely his comments had nothing to do with Jose to begin with, so why even entertain this vicious press by having to speak on it?

Tarrou

But, most likely his comments had nothing to do with Jose to begin with, so why even entertain this vicious press by having to speak on it?
What else could they be about? I’d never even contemplated they were about something else tbh.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
José confirm that Martial was fined.

That's not the best tweet to use to show Martial has been fined as half of that tweet is a lie.

Jose said Martial is the ony player that has been fined while he's been there, he didn't say he fined him and he didn't give a reason he was fined so it could have been anything over the last two years, even the first season with Jose where he was being a miserable twat and letting his personal life get in the way of football.

oz insomniac

Pogba reminds me of a really good 14 year old junior rugby league player here in Sydney whose father moves him from club to club in order to 1) win premierships 2) to boost his profile ahead of signing senior terms.

His manager get seems to manipulate the saga to earn even more and larger commissions, and the player seems to be influenced by the trashy social media hype. No way am I suggesting he isnt a good player, but lacks guidance and has not really performed week in week out, other than of course his Instagram posts.

Seen this behaviour year in year out in junior sport, seems to have transferred into the current cycle with Pogba, he really needs to knuckle down and not be so easily influenced

Conor

Paul Pogba is very unhappy.

Not that I think anything is wrong in the dressing room, but these collages of players smiling and having fun at training never make any sense in the context of trying to prove nothing is wrong. Even if you hated your manager, you can still have fun with your mates in training, they aren't 4 year old children that visibly sulk all day when they're not happy about something.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's not the best tweet to use to show Martial has been fined as half of that tweet is a lie.

Jose said Martial is the ony player that has been fined while he's been there, he didn't say he fined him and he didn't give a reason he was fined so it could have been anything over the last two years, even the first season with Jose where he was being a miserable twat and letting his personal life get in the way of football.
Thanks.

redIndianDevil

This myth that Scholes etc never were model professionals for their whole career needs to die, this is the same guy that outright refused to play in a league cup match.

If that was any modern day player everyone would be kicking off about how he thinks he's bigger than the club and all that nonsense. I love Scholes but hardly any player, past or present, is perfect so I don't get why people hold Pogba to such harsh standards whilst pining for the olden days.
Because none of us knew what happened on the inside in the older times, now with social media and a nosey media, we get exposure to what the current generation players do and a lot of people judge them harshly.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What else could they be about? I’d never even contemplated they were about something else tbh.
So many things, my best guess would be that he's been extremely frustrated with the way the press and pundits cover him, and when he says he can't speak on it because he'll be fined is because if he spoke frankly on it, it'd be an expletive-filled rant. His whole not wanting to speak for fear of fine is more likely to do with the language he'd like to use rather than rant against Mourinho, but that's not as juicy of a story.

Tarrou

So many things, my best guess would be that he's been extremely frustrated with the way the press and pundits cover him, and when he says he can't speak on it because he'll be fined is because if he spoke frankly on it, it'd be an expletive-filled rant. His whole not wanting to speak for fear of fine is more likely to do with the language he'd like to use rather than rant against Mourinho, but that's not as juicy of a story.
Yeah maybe it's that, hope so. But if that was the case then you'd think he'd want to clarify it wasn't about Jose still.

Infra-red

He's obviously not going to have lied. All the dailies went with "Martial fined for going AWOL" stories - they'll have had clarification from Mourinho/Shotbolt, probably at the end of the conference.

Nucky10

Pogba will leave in January or next summer. He is perfect for Barca.

James_42

No chance the club will let him leave in January, finding a suitable replacement is going to be difficult, but to try and get one in the January transfer window would be close to impossible.

cyberman

Nah, we'll hear of excuses about fees and wages etc.
The Spanish big two will focus on players with contracts winding down who are based in England.
Even Coutinhos price will be at the lower end of the scale for the top EPL players in the coming seasons