[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

L1nk

ha! - I don't know what to say anymore. This guy is so deluded and out of touch. He starts with Matic and Fellaini vs Crystal Palace at home and is surprised that we lack aggression and intensity. I need a stiff drink!
Lack aggression and intensity, leaves Herrera, Fred and young Pereira with a point to prove, out. Can't make it up at this point.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

ha! - I don't know what to say anymore. This guy is so deluded and out of touch. He starts with Matic and Fellaini vs Crystal Palace at home and is surprised that we lack aggression and intensity. I need a stiff drink!
Utterly painful. Not only has he bought 3 midfielders now, he constantly plays 2 defensive ones, like you say. This has actually pissed me off.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yeah don't play those who have aggression and intensity(Andreas, Fred and Herrera) and play Matic and Fellaini instead. Feck me sideways

Needham

I don't want Conte solely based on the fact that I don't want another egotistical petulant easily wound up manager prowling the touchline. Let's have someone who is all about the football.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I don't want Conte solely based on the fact that I don't want another egotistical petulant easily wound up manager prowling the touchline.
I can't stand Conte for the reasons you mention but it says everything that I'd be fine with him replacing JM immediately.

cheekygetinnit

I'm not turning on Mourinho just yet, but hypothetically Pochettino would be a good fit . Apart from City, Spurs have been the most consistent team in the premier league the last 4 years.

All done on a shoe string budget

Last edited by a moderator:

Will Singh

If we get Pochettino and get taking over by oil money then it's world domination... Seriously even if we get him and the Glazers stay we will be back to the top.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What do people think about the idea of Wenger? He’s always played good football and never been given a proper budget like we have at Utd.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'd accept Bernard Manning at this point.

Sir Scott McToMinay

What do people think about the idea of Wenger? He’s always played good football and never been given a proper budget like we have at Utd.
I’d be fine if it’s until the end of the season, we’ll see some fine football and he’s a top top coach for developing young players, but no way I would want him here permanently.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’d be fine if it’s until the end of the season, we’ll see some fine football and he’s a top top coach for developing young players, but no way I would want him here permanently.
I just want to see some good football again. I couldn’t give a toss where we finish this season.

croadyman

I just want to see some good football again. I couldn’t give a toss where we finish this season.
I feel exactly the same I am just sick of watching tumescent Football and just want to enjoy watching my team again rather than feel bored for 90 minutes

Kharhaz

Supports
Liverpool
If we get Pochettino and get taking over by oil money then it's world domination... Seriously even if we get him and the Glazers stay we will be back to the top.
So if you get one of the top proven managers, and not just one big boost of money, but two big boosts of money, then all good? Why dont you just go the whole hog and rub that golden lamp and demand all the trophies?

Seriously even if you get the lamp, why stop at trophies, two big spending owners, the latest craze in talented managers, go for free tickets also for all fans, money wont be no object to you supporters, and hell, why stop at undersoil heating? go for heated seats during winter, and not just scarfs, the full on duffel coats.

I get your frustration, but come on, have realistic wishes at least!

mav_9me

Likewise. We are 7th with GD of - 1. I think an improvement in football is the first step.

ash_86

Pogba - Martial - Wenger . French connection would be complete :drool:

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us

I don't even..
It's fecking hopeless, isn't it. From the Glazers and Woodward to Mourinho and the players. Everything's rubbish.

In Rainbows

1. I have repeatedly said from the start if United DONT fix the structure and planning issues in football operations things are unlikely to change regardless of who we hire.

You instead insist I'm saying that next boss is 'guarnteed to fail inANY circumstance'.

2. What part of the phrase 'sustained success' do you not understand?
Is 'sustained success' shor term?

3. That is why I insist. You clearly think merely hiring a progressive manager is a magical cure to all our ills. Because you simply don't umderstand what my argument is about. Plain and simple.

4. Which he has flunked at stupendously three times due to his current methods and planning skills. But you expect him miraculously to suddenly do it right, without changing a thing.

5. I mean you clearly admit you think picking the right manager through competence and a great plan is the same as merely stuff.bling on to one by a pure fluke. Which says it all and ends the argument right there. Nothing further needs to be added.
1. Pay attention to the context under which you used "unlikely" and I said you said "guaranteed to fail." When you say "regardless of who we hire," I'm naturally going to think you're saying "guaranteed to fail" because at this point you're saying it doesn't matter who we hire, we can't achieve on the pitch improvement due to Woodward.

Meaning you're linking on the pitch short term improvement with Woodward's failings and not the manager's failings. I disagree with this. I think it's unlikely we achieve on the pitch short term improvement only due to not hiring the right manager. I think the manager is to blame for the performances on the pitch, and I think Woodward is the overall problem for the long term failures all because he hires the wrong managers which leads to the managers dictating transfers (ie. inconsistent players fit for each hired manager).

We all know Woodward's failures. Both of us stated them. However, those failures only doom the team by making it more likely he hires the wrong manager. This is why "regardless of who we hire" is something I fundamentally disagree with. The manager is key in my eyes to fixing us in the short term. All it takes is a great manager to be hired and for Woodward to back him. Note, I'm not saying it solves the underlying issue at the club long term because what happens when that great manager goes away? The wrong process is again going to be tested and it increasingly becomes unlikely he gets it right which is why I feel it's possible to fluke 1 managerial hiring, but not continuous hirings.

2. When you say "Meaning its doubtful a different manager wont face the same challenges Mourinho or his precessors have. To deny it is plain naive." What else am I supposed to think other than short term if those problems are intrinsically linked to 1 specific manager's term at United? Managers can only face problems with Woodward while they're at United.

A manager not being backed can be a problem every manager can face which makes it constant. However, that has not been the case so you can't state every manager will face that. LVG certainly didn't. Mourinho didn't his first 2 seasons at United. So that problem is not some looming problem every manager must face. Does Woodward act unprofessionally and undermine the manager at every turn? No. He only bit back after Mourinho went public to criticize the board and only because Mourinho after 2 seasons proved he wasn't worth believing in 100%. I don't believe he undermined Moyes or LVG. Therefore, I cannot say this problem is long term as well. This is why I automatically assumed you meant short term because these problems aren't long term problems.

The only problem that every manager will face is the inconsistent vision leading to drastic changes in managerial choices. And because these managers have more power with no DOF to check them, players (transfers) are more likely to not fit the next manager's style. However, having said this, this problem is going to be present regardless of Woodward fixing his mistakes for the next man after Mourinho because what's done is done. We already catered to Mourinho who ended up buying his own players for the 1st two years and the next manager will have to decide who fits him or not.

When you also say " Meaning the issue lies deeper than a mere manager change." What else am I supposed to think other than short term? If I feel the short term success is entirely dependent on the right managerial hire, I'm going to think you're speaking in the short term.

Woodward and the board solving their incompetency and having a shared vision for United, hiring a DOF, etc... ultimately leads to consistent managerial choices. This leads to proper player turnover. That's all what fixing our board accomplishes. Meaning only in the long term will this (fixing of Woodward or sacking Woodward) guarantee it pays dividends for United. It's not necessary for the short term, though obviously preferred. Like if Woodward hires a DOF, the board has a vision, or Woodward gets sacked, it doesn't change the fact that the next manager will still be backed in the same manner as previous managers did, which is heavily. It doesn't change the fact that this new manager will have to face the problem that is having to work with players he did not sign, but his predecessor signed. Meaning only in the short term, it's possible and very realistic for a simple managerial change to have the same effect as solving our club's structure will have.

3. I do think a simple managerial hiring can fix us in the short term. In the long term it's impossible because Woodward is guaranteed to get found out again as the process in selecting managers would lead to a higher chance of failure. I understand your position well.

4. No I don't think he'll suddenly get it right. This is why I said it's unlikely he gets it right. However, I do think it's possible he gets it right and realistic that he can get it right just this one time. This is why I disagree with Neville because if the option is to keep Woodward, but sack Mourinho or keep Woodward, but keep Mourinho, I'm going to choose the first option every day because that 1st option allows a realistic, but unlikely chance that he does hire the right manager. That's better than just keeping Mourinho and giving him more time. My absolute preferred option is for the club's structure/process to change and to also sack Mourinho.

5. I don't think it's the same thing. I only think it's possible for both processes (as incompetent and as competent as they each respectively are) to come to the same managerial hiring. Which means it's possible to fix us in the short term, though unlikely, but in the long term impossible unless the club completely changes how they operate.

This will be my last post as I don't think I have anything more to offer on this subject.

In Rainbows

I can't stand Conte for the reasons you mention but it says everything that I'd be fine with him replacing JM immediately.
Reason why I don't want Conte is if in the hypothetical that he does fail, if after his managerial term we still lack movement in attack and still look like there is no chemistry, I would not be surprised in the least bit that a manager known for his defensive prowess failed to get the best out of attacking players Not saying that happens, just that I wouldn't be surprised just like I wasn't surprised when Mou didn't accomplish that.

I would be completely surprised that problem still persists if say Klopp was in charge of this side.

R'hllor

Depends of us making a clean cut and start over or just continue from where we are. I mean, in my case there is difference between who i want and who i see is the best fit with current squad. We had Moyes, then LvG, then JM, from Blind as CB to him not being a bus driver and being sold etc. You cant give contract extension to Fellaini and then get some tiki taka loco manager.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Poch is not going to come. What about that guy at Dortmund? Favre? Is he any good?
Had this discussion with other cafters already. He's good, but very unlikely to come here unfortunately.

Revaulx

I agree that Wenger for the rest of the season would be an interesting choice, and it would be good to see what he manages to get out of our attackers.

He would probably get us top four playing nice football. Great! The board would then get all giddy and give him a five year contract. Not so great. @CA1 would be vindicated though :D

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just to lift the immediate gloom how about McKenna with Fegie's old team assisting - Phelan and Muelensteen (sp)?
It would give us a sense of familiarity and continuity. McKenna can implement his attacking philosophy but with some wise old heads to guide and advise in case he gets too overexcited.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
We must stay clear of managers who have initials which relate to Roman numerals. The more of those you have in your initials, the least successful you'll be as a Man Utd manager these days. It's the incontrovertible truth. That's why David Moyes was such a disaster. Louis van Gaal didn't escape from this nefarious phenomenon either. And that's why Jose Mourinho won't ultimately succeed here. In case of Jose, he was a Roman (Abramovic) general as well, and that counts double against him.

Now you know why Sir Alex triumphed. He was immune to the Roman Initial Syndrome.

So long, MP, LF and LJ.

Hello, ZZ, EH,and, oh let's say, SA.

AlwaysRed66

If Moyes was our Wilf Mcguinness and LVG was our Frank O'Farrell then Jose is our Tommy Docherty.

We're due the new millennium Dave Sexton next.
I haven't yet seen rumours to suggest he is having hanky panky with the physios wife:cool:. at least that would be a good excuse to sack him if he was.

Steerpike

Firstly, we need to be rid of Jose sooner rather than later. It's apparent to everyone that it isn't working, and there seems little point in prolonging the agony.

Regarding a replacement, and the apparent lack of an obvious 'big name' right now, we could take an altogether different approach. We could fill the vacancy from within - we have some ex-players on the coaching staff who are presumably looking at a career in management in the longer term, and a reserve team manager who already has some experience of managing in the Premier League - and at the same time put a new structure in place, possibly including a Director of Football. The risk could be mitigated by bringing in an experienced manager to act as an advisor (though with the greatest manager of all time still on site, perhaps that wouldn't be necessary).

The benefits of such an approach:

- The new management team would understand the ethos of the club, including its identification with attacking football.
- Th new management team would understand the challenges of the Premier League.
- The conveyor belt from the youth teams through to the senior ranks, another key part of our heritage, would get an immediate boost.
- We wouldn't have to take on all the baggage, preconceived ideas, and strings attached which would inevitably accompany the hiring of another 'big name'.
- We would be making a significant contribution to developing and supporting home grown coaching talent.
- The arrangement could be put in place with the proviso that there would be a review at the end of the season.

There are obviously risks as well:

- The United job is high pressure and the incumbent(s) would obviously be in the spotlight. It isn't clear how a relatively inexperienced management team would cope with this.
- Some of the 'star' players may be disaffected by the change - e.g. I have to play for a respected manager - and agitate for a move (they should play for the club rather than the manager/themselves, so let them go, and good riddance!).
- In the short term there's no guarantee results or performances would improve (right now, with JM at the helm, it's nigh on a certainty that they won't).

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be good if it was United pioneered the move away from this slavish adulation of the big names, and re-established the trend for growing the club organically.

jimmyb2000

I haven't yet seen rumours to suggest he is having hanky panky with the physios wife:cool:. at least that would be a good excuse to sack him if he was.
I suppose you could say that Jose (like Docherty) is quite a controversial character. Also like Docherty, once Jose is sacked I suspect he'll never have a good word to say about the club.

Cantonagotmehere

Why can't Pereira get a freaking game in midfield if he feels this way? He's killing me now....I hung on for a while but he's sucking the life out of me.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Lucien Favre would be my dream pick if he didn't have a track record of turning down big jobs in the past due to not handling the pressure very well.
He's turned Dortmund into a machine this season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Poch starting to make noises in the media regarding a lack of backing from Spurs.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Nobody worth their salt is coming here. I'd actually think less of someone for wanting to manage us whilst Woodward and the board are here. It would show a lack of intelligence on their part. For e.g if Pochettino decided to leave Spurs for us, he would go down in my estimations.
You're like a football fan equivalent of a Cuckold...

And that's not a slight upon you, or cuckolds, just an observation.

spud u like

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He also said this -

My contract expires in four-and-a-half years - if Daniel Levy does not fire me first".

"Seriously, today I see myself here. I dream of winning a trophy with Tottenham, maybe the Premier League in our new stadium.

IrishGlen

He’s as good as any other available candidate for the short term (only until the end of the season). He would guarantee a better style of football than say Conte and obviously more experienced than the likes of Carrick, McKenna, etc. On a longer deal - no thanks. Zidane, Pochettino or Simeone should be targeted for the future IMO.