[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He could be a car crash like Moyes as he could be like Poch. At least Poch shown he could take the next level at Spurs from Soton. I dont want United being Howe's pet project if he could make it or not.

I think Howe spent is much more than Moyes already. If Moyes can do much better with much smaller budget than Howe i dont think thats a good sign for Howe.
You're comparing different eras. Players cost peanuts in Moyes time, its a bizzare criticism of Howe.

History shows the big names bring as much risk as the smaller ones. Pep coached Barcelona from less experience, Zidane coached Real from less experience, Poch obviously is a success from Southampton and Espanol. Sarri was at a much smaller Empoli side before a title challenging Napoli took the punt on him.

Then you have examples like Ancelotti who failed to galvanise Bayern, Mourinho with us according to some, Conte etc. Who come in with a short term vision and either see it out or implode and leave the team needing to start again.

It begs the question whether we need a big name or someone who wants to build a structure and base for long term growth.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Let him make that step at a smaller club, like West Ham or Leicester or Newcastle, not at Manchester United.
But the options are so bleak, who else can we consider free from risk relative to Howe? Just playing devil's advocate here.

Hoping for Zidane. The players have the ability, the club has the coaches, we simply need someone to inspire the team. Zidane is an icon to the current generation.

Judas

Open to offers
To be fair, at this point, I don't think it could be any worse under Howe than it is at the moment, which is a truly amazingly turn of events when you think of all that Jose has achieved in the game. That's not me saying or thinking he's the right man for the job, but I doubt he could make us this miserable.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Would be happy with Jardim. Seems flexible and plays to team's strength. Deserves a chance at a top club after Monaco. Don't think he is big enough of a name for our Ed though.

Would be good to keep an eye on Tuchel and Nagelsmann work also.

Sterling Archer

I do like Poch but it just seems mad to go with someone that has yet to win a single trophy as a manager.

Trophy Room

To be fair, at this point, I don't think it could be any worse under Howe than it is at the moment, which is a truly amazingly turn of events when you think of all that Jose has achieved in the game. That's not me saying or thinking he's the right man for the job, but I doubt he could make us this miserable.
I don't think we quite appreciate how amazingly well Howe has actually done. If we are looking for a young, repeatedly successful, progressive manager that plays good football, I can't quite see past him. I think given a bit of time he'll be great for us.

Mcking

I'd love Howe if we go the DOF route. The funny thing is people belittle Howe and then big up Nagelsmann and some 35 year old Wender Bremen coach on the same thread. Textbook Redcafe.

I'd love Howe if we go the DOF route. The funny thing is people belittle Howe and then big up Nagelsmann and some 35 year old Wender Bremen coach on the same thread. Textbook Redcafe.
It's true - TSG Hoff were a relegation team before he took over.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Let him make that step at a smaller club, like West Ham or Leicester or Newcastle, not at Manchester United.
Howe's Bournemouth is ahead of all those teams, whilst also being ahead of us and hipster favourites wolves.
Only two points off of Arsenal and Tottenham and four points off Chelsea.
It's only 7 games, but considering his squad that's a big achievement, he's clearly a talented manager.

daveyjones

It's baffling how many people really want this.
Nothing would make me happier than seeing Ryan Giggs succeed as Man Utd manager.

I just have very limited belief he ever would.

But it sure would make me happy.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Nothing would make me happier than seeing Ryan Giggs succeed as Man Utd manager.

I just have very limited belief he ever would.

But it sure would make me happy.
Why? What does a - lets me honest - woefully underqualfied ex-player have going for him that others do not?

Dec9003

Why? What does a - lets me honest - woefully underqualfied ex-player have going for him that others do not?
Hes not neccesarily woefully underqualified, he was at United learning from Fergie for years, and was the no2 under Van Gaal
If he does well with Wales he'd absolutely be qualified based on his connection to the club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hes not neccesarily woefully underqualified, he was at United learning from Fergie for years, and was the no2 under Van Gaal
If he does well with Wales he'd absolutely be qualified based on his connection to the club.
No he wouldn't. So far he's never have managed a football club and it looks like he wants it on a silver platter. He didn't go abroad like Zidane or take a lower league club like Lampard or even the SPL like Gerrard.

There's shit loads of managers more qualified than Giggs. Having experience under SAF doesn't suddenly make you qualified. Nor does doing half decent as national manager.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's true - TSG Hoff were a relegation team before he took over.
Difference in acheivements. Nagalsmann took Hoff from relegation to top 4. But yeah, Howe is definately underrated everywhere. Which is weird because he's English.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
To manage one of the biggest clubs on the planet? Yes, yes he is.

Yes, he was number 2 under a manager who failed at the club. There's literally dozens of ex players who have more management experience that have played under Fergie. So what is it Giggs has has others doesn't.

Last edited:

Mcking

Difference in acheivements. Nagalsmann took Hoff from relegation to top 4. But yeah, Howe is definately underrated everywhere. Which is weird because he's English.
Howe took over a Bournemouth team in crisis and languishing at the bottom of league one and in four years, established them as a comfortable Premier League side. That's a few years after taking them from the bottom of League two to League one and they almost got relegated when he left for Burnley.
Nagelsmann does not deserve as much adulation as Howe.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Howe took over a Bournemouth team in crisis and languishing at the bottom of league one and in four years, established them as a comfortable Premier League side. That's a few years after taking them from the bottom of League two to League one and they almost got relegated when he left for Burnley.
Nagelsmann does not deserve as much adulation as Howe.
I'm a huge fan but Nagelsmann definately deserves much praise. He took Hoffenheim on at an age 10 years younger than Howe and dragged them from relegation, to top 4, to Champions League.

In any case I wouldn't be against Howe as a manager for us. He will be a cert for a top role eventually.

Web of Bissaka

Whoever the next manager is would be a risk. We're not moving forward with Mou atm anyway. Rather take that risk than stalling.

Voted Ancelotti, doubt he's interested unfortunately. I tend to like his teams play football. Won big trophies, and good at player management supposedly.

Don't mind Zidane (tactician and proven record) or Poch (a big doubt in terms of winning but he's fairly well mannered and disciplinary). Tbh, I don't find both of their football fun to watch so there's another prob, but a sure much better than the dross football of now.

G. Nev (naah, good at analysing, not managing), Giggs (that revealed team talk is soo imprissive), Simeone (don't need another defensive football), Hughes (....).

No idea about any of the other managers on that list.

Mcking

I'm a huge fan but Nagelsmann definately deserves much praise. He took Hoffenheim on at an age 10 years younger than Howe and dragged them from relegation, to top 4, to Champions League.

In any case I wouldn't be against Howe as a manager for us. He will be a cert for a top role eventually.
Howe was 31 when he first took over at Bournemouth and got them somewhere they'd never had dreamt off.
Although Hoffenheim where languishing in 17th when Nagelsmann took over, but they had finished 8th and 9th the two seasons prior. He's done well to get them where they are now, but Howe have done much more.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Barca and Real Madrid can basically hire a coach with no more experience than from their own B-team. Bayern hire Kovac.

But Man Utd cant hire Howe due to lack of experience. That is such a weird english thing.

Dec9003

No he wouldn't. So far he's never have managed a football club and it looks like he wants it on a silver platter. He didn't go abroad like Zidane or take a lower league club like Lampard or even the SPL like Gerrard.

There's shit loads of managers more qualified than Giggs. Having experience under SAF doesn't suddenly make you qualified. Nor does doing half decent as national manager.
Out of interest, what would you need to be qualified to manage Manchester United in your opinion?

BigRon1985

Hi guys this is my first post on the main forum so be gentle with me please! :eek:

Just my opinion but the next appointment needs to be the right one so I don't think we should rush the decision. I'm all for a Caretaker manager until the end of the season so we can assess availability of the various candidates as and when they emerge (a lot can happen in a short time in football as we all know)

Anyway I'm going to stick my neck out and say give it to Wenger till next May. The reasons are as follows -

1. He's had a rest and has theoretically recharged his batteries and is ready to go again
2. He knows how to put an attacking team together
3. The Pogba/Martial wanting to leave issue should resolve itself with a fellow Countryman in charge - hell he might even get Sanchez firing on all cylinders again!
4. He knows the Premier League inside out and has a track record of success albeit not recent
5. Best of all the opportunity to stick one over his Nemesis for all these years especially if he got the team playing decent attacking football again would be a chance too good to miss - he'd love it!

Or am I being completely deluded??? :confused:

UtdfromSpain

For me McKenna, he's the best manager at the club and he's shown it the last years with the U-18's with modern, flexible, attacking football but he needs a Sporting Director. Anyone saying Butt (he's a shit coach) or Carrick (he doesn't even have the badges) is delusional.

If McKenna doesn't get it should be Pochettino or Jardim. I like Pablo Machín but it it's too early.

Reiver

See a lot of people saying Poch, Giggs, Howe shouldn't get the job because they haven't won anything.
Mourinho and LVG are 2 of the most decorated and experienced managers around and look where we are now. We should know better than most supporters that past success as a manager doesn't mean they will be right for us. You can argue that past success means that appointing them is less of a gamble but it is still a gamble.
I'm starting to think that the success of a manager has a lot to do with appointing the right man at the right time. Mourinho and LVG might have been good for us at some point buy not when we got them.
To that end, I'd like the Board to show a bit of balls and appoint somebody with a clear vision on how they want the team to play and what direction they want the team to go in. Restoring our identity as a good footballing, exciting team would be a start. This might mean appointing someone with little or no trophies. But the Board could show some bravery by doing everything they can in supporting them and giving them a platform to succeed. We are Manchester Utd - that should be some fecking platform. This could well include appointing a DOF.
Anyway, there's risk involved in whoever we appoint and recent appointments have made me think that I would support the Board if they made the bold move of appointing someone like Howe for example. Hopefully, whoever it is will be the right man at the right time.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Out of interest, what would you need to be qualified to manage Manchester United in your opinion?
A good record of managing a club and taking them above and beyond expectations would be a good start. This is why someone like Howe would be on my shortlist.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
So you guys better hurry up with this one or we’ll end up getting Zidane.

Dec9003

A good record of managing a club and taking them above and beyond expectations would be a good start. This is why someone like Howe would be on my shortlist.
I like Howe too he's a very good manager.
I think international management is underrated though.
Bielsa is a good example, I'm pretty sure he's commented on the fact that as an international manager you can be better at quickly implementing your style on a side, like he's done with leeds this season.
If Giggs has good ideas for a style of play and coaching, then managing Wales will be a good learning experience For him.
He'd be much less likely to demand years and years to leave an imprint on the team like previous managers, I think Moyed thought he'd have his full contract!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I like Howe too he's a very good manager.
I think international management is underrated though.
Bielsa is a good example, I'm pretty sure he's commented on the fact that as an international manager you can be better at quickly implementing your style on a side, like he's done with leeds this season.
If Giggs has good ideas for a style of play and coaching, then managing Wales will be a good learning experience For him.
He'd be much less likely to demand years and years to leave an imprint on the team like previous managers, I think Moyed thought he'd have his full contract!
Bielsa had club management experience too. Giggs literally has no experience of managing a club. You don't just manage a big club because you played for them. Zidane had to manage another club before Real, Pep was inherited through the Barcelona system but was a coach and managed the Barcelona B team first. Gerrard isn't expecting to be handed the Liverpool job and Lampard isn't expecting to be gifted the Chelsea job.

Makes zero sense to consider Giggs.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
There's no way Howe would be considered. Not unless he does something really out of the ordinary like making the CL. The reality is, not many would be comfortable giving the job to a Bournemouth manager. I suspect he might have to move if he wants to get the bigger jobs.