POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Win with style>win without style>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lose with style>lose without style.
And Chelsea this season is worse than all of them. :p

But on a more serious note, I don't particularly think he's this guarantee for success, not sustainable success at least.

Cal?

CR7 fan
And Chelsea this season is worse than all of them. :p

But on a more serious note, I don't particularly think he's this guarantee for success, not sustainable success at least.
The main difference between our season and Chelsea's is that it seems we get our calamitous results in the CL when they do it in the PL.

NJM78

I'd rather have a manager talk some crap rather than a manager who talks crap and pokes people in the eye and insults his peers regularly. As classless as they come. LVG may have been before but for us he's not lacked class at all.

Fair enough. I don't mind people wanting Mourinho as our next manager. He has a great track record. But for me personally, I just don't want his sort of manager at United. He stands for too many things I don't want at this club.

My biggest fear.

Good reply, I always enjoy reading yours as you get to the point with sound reason and not by resorting to abuse like some on the Caf if you disagree with them.

Also my biggest fear, guess a lot will be clearer come May or maybe sooner should we lose to Norwich.

Bojan11

Laughable that you think they are the same as Makelele. I don't think you get what Makelele's role at Chelsea was.

Not that I'm per say against having one defensive screener either, nor did I suggest that he's the only manager to play with a defensive midfielder (not sure where you got that from), however, it epitomizes him in comparison to Wenger and Ferguson (or other attack minded managers). It was a point used to highlight the bigger picture, which you seem to be missing.

Are you actually seriously telling me Mourinho is a) as attack minded a manager as SAF and Wenger, and b) as much a believer in youth as them?

If the answer to those is YES, then we need to stop this discussion because I refuse anyone can believe that and take seriously.
Ranieri bought Makelele to the club. Mourinho got the best out of him by sticking him alongside Essien and Lampard. One of the best midfields the EPL has ever seen. Are you going to argue against that? Makelele was the best cdm in the world at the time. Why wouldn't you use him? Real Madrid sold him and you saw what happened to them. All their players were saying it was a mistake. So what have you got against Jose playing Makelele? I don't get it. So you have it against Jose playing a cdm yet countless other managers do too. Potchetinno plays Dier there. He had Wanyama and Schneiderlin at Southampton. He's definitely not a option for us.

There's your problem also. You are comparing Jose to managers who have been at the same club for 20 years. Let's be honest, if at any other top club Wenger would have been sacked for not winning the league for 11 years. But there's no pressure on him really. He can bring through all the young players he wants. That would change if he was working for someone like Perez or Roman. Owners who buy players for their managers and force them to play them.

I don't get peoples fascination with finding the next Wenger or Fergie. It's not happening in this day and age. A few bad months and you end up getting sacked.

You don't win all the trophies or have the records that Jose has by just playing dull football is what I am saying. These lazy arguments of oh he plays dull football or doesn't give youth a chance are annoying. Chelsea have had like 10 managers in the last 10 years. How many have actually given youth a chance?

Real Madrid buy a shiny new toy every year rather than give youth a chance. Their best player promoted from the youth team Carvaljal has been ousted by their latest shiny new toy, who isn't even that good as him. Before him the only consistent starter from their youth development for the last 10 years were Casilas and Raul. It's hard to bring players through when Perez is signing new toys and forcing you to play them.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'd love to have him manage us mainly for his managerial skills and tactical insight into the game. The way he sets up teams to bring the best out of his players is something I really admire.

However, you can see that, whenever he tries to stick with the team for the long term, he creates a state of disarray within the squad and conflicts with certain players as well. As talented as he as a manager, he's poor at handling certain players and situations that arise at big clubs, which ultimately lead to his downfall. If van Gaal's troubles with his past boards led him to troubles, then Mourinho's issues with players is something even worse and something that I'd prefer not to occur at this club.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
McEachran and Bertrand were given a few games but on the whole managers haven't been there long enough and in the past their youth haven't been great but in last few years they've cleaned up.

Chelsea have cleaned up at youth level. Don't think there's a big issue with developing youth, its just that they don't get played and end up getting loaned out. Would be interested in @Gol123, @duffer and possibly @khoazany's thoughts if they have any on that front.
Brilliant youth players that are severely mismanaged at the moment. A big part of this was Mourinho's fault and is my biggest gripe with him.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I don't like him.
I am not a big fan of the style of football his teams play.
His antics can be annoying.
Don't think he is very good at squad rotation and giving youth a chance.

Still...in a scenario where: Pep is managing City, Wenger is all reinvigorated at Arsenal & Klopp is managing Liverpool - I would definitely take Jose Mourinho. We have already fallen behind the other European giants and top teams in the league, we cannot have more seasons of our managers fecking around. It's hypocritical, but yeah, that's where we are.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
SAF would love him being in charge. That would be another thing going for him, that close friendship and mutual respect.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Of course I'd take him. His track record speaks for himself. All this armchair psychology bulls*** is no reason to not sign him. After a few months away from the game, he'll be back to his old self, ready and motivated to manage this team. People are claiming he was solely or mostly responsible for Chelsea's demise. All you have to do is look at the shape some players are in to see the main reason for their shortcomings.

For a guy who is as obsessed with winning as Mourinho is, a situation such as the current one is gonna lead to frustration. There's no need to make the surroundings at Chelsea sound more dramatic than they are though. It's the unusual environment on a title winning team that has lost its track. I'm sure it wasn't all gravy at Dortmund when they were crashing in the first half of the season, Klopp is simply not as obsessed with winning and has a more personal bond to his players, which is why there wasn't as much drama surrounding the team then. It also has something to do with the German press only having one truly sensationalistic paper (BILD) whereas in England there are plenty of them.

With all that being said, we'd be foolish to turn down the chance of signing him. Based on recent polls, most people here want us to get back to our winning ways. If there's an almost sure-fire way to do it, it's with Jose, who is also Premier League proven.

amolbhatia50k

Brilliant youth players that are severely mismanaged at the moment. A big part of this was Mourinho's fault and is my biggest gripe with him.
Exactly. Strange that Chelsea fans can acknowledge this about Mourinho but not United fans.

amolbhatia50k

The main difference between our season and Chelsea's is that it seems we get our calamitous results in the CL when they do it in the PL.
The main difference is that they are abysmal and we are not.

amolbhatia50k

Good reply, I always enjoy reading yours as you get to the point with sound reason and not by resorting to abuse like some on the Caf if you disagree with them.

Also my biggest fear, guess a lot will be clearer come May or maybe sooner should we lose to Norwich.
Cheers, mate. Disagreeing cordially and discussing the logic/point is a lot more enjoyable than personal attacks and aiming to "win" arguments.

I just hope the club have learnt from their mistakes in the past.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
He's winner...why not!

Plus he would be a massive step up from LVG.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
He's one of the very best, only top tier managers from now on - no Moyes' - are there people I prefer than Jose? Yes, are there any better than Jose? Not really.

Godfather

He wouldn't he my first choice. But I'd definitely take him before someone with no experience at all like Giggs even comes into consideration

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Got a feeling he'll be United's manager should they move van Gaal on at the end of the season. If van Gaal stays at United beyond that, i'd say it'll Ryan Giggsiola.

ants7

McKola actually has some excellent points, worth sharing. I think I'll change my vote to "No".

Callum93

Don't get me wrong, his achievements have been phenomenal and he is still young. I wouldn't mind Mourinho, should Pep be unavailable. However, his recent season - combined with the fact that he doesn't spend more than 3 years at a club at a time, and finally his antics - have led to me voting "no". I'd still gladly back him as the manager should he take over at some point.

entropy

The fact that Jose has been dumped is enough proof that we should stick with lvg longer. It would be stupid to abandon the current project and jump ship for someone who has been on a downward trajectory.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
No. it's tempting, he'd win us a title with all of that moolah to spend. But I'd favour long-term success over a quick jump back to the top. And of course I'd never be able to watch another presser while he was here, can't stand the cnut.

United22

Outrageous that people are claiming that hiring him goes against the club morals. You would think the man was a part of ISIS the way people talk about him on here , absolutely ridiculous :lol:

Member 5225

Am warming to the idea now.
I wanted him to replace SAF but his last 18months have made me despise him.
However, he's still a top5 manager in the world IMO.
Am not bothered by his football (winning is everything to me), but his brash arrogant approach.
But maybe having a SAF or Bobby Charlton to keep him in check, have a sounding board etc might work wonders?
Esp now in this state as he'd be as hungry as ever, esp in England.

NinjaFletch

This thread title basically reads to me: "Would you want Manchester United to play a park the bus style?". And the answer is easy - No.
Ok.

Firstly: Do you really believe he parks the bus in every game?
Secondly: Do you realise we've done it before multiple times?

nick2004

At the moment we are so far from winning anything... and here we have a proven winner and some people... it is not even funny!...

It is like you are starving for months, alone in an island, and suddenly someone offers you a big juicy steak... and you reply "no thanks, I am a vegetarian!"...

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

Give him quality attackers and the team will be amazing offensively. The season Real won la liga they scored an inordinate amount of goals, numbers that are still records if I'm not mistaken. In all his seasons they scored over 100 goals in the league. Out scored Barca in 2 of those seasons.

Fact is his record speaks for itself. 8 out of 13 league titles, 2 out of 11 CL's won, including plenty other semi final appearances.

It'd be wonderful to have him here with full control over football matters. The only negative about him is his inability to develop young players but I'm sure he could get that right if he didn't work in places where his job has always been on the line if he didn't win titles.

Member 5225

Give him quality attackers and the team will be amazing offensively. The season Real won la liga they scored an inordinate amount of goals, numbers that are still records if I'm not mistaken. In all his seasons they scored over 100 goals in the league. Out scored Barca in 2 of those seasons.

Fact is his record speaks for itself. 8 out of 13 league titles, 2 out of 11 CL's won, including plenty other semi final appearances.

It'd be wonderful to have him here with full control over football matters. The only negative about him is his inability to develop young players but I'm sure he could get that right if he didn't work in places where his job has always been on the line if he didn't win titles.
Yep - that's very well put.

itso 7

I'd love to have him manage us mainly for his managerial skills and tactical insight into the game. The way he sets up teams to bring the best out of his players is something I really admire.

However, you can see that, whenever he tries to stick with the team for the long term, he creates a state of disarray within the squad and conflicts with certain players as well. As talented as he as a manager, he's poor at handling certain players and situations that arise at big clubs, which ultimately lead to his downfall. If van Gaal's troubles with his past boards led him to troubles, then Mourinho's issues with players is something even worse and something that I'd prefer not to occur at this club.
Well at this club the manager comes first and any players that get on his bad side, regardless of the merits of their case, always walk. Maybe the issue at Chelsea was that he wasn't allowed to get rid of the bad apples (in his view) and the subsequent fall outs were a manifestation of his frustration at such impotence. However, things got so bad there that it's hard to know exactly what went on and how much of the blame belonged to who.
Here we had a manager who spent close to a decade and a half falling out with players and we always backed him in such fights which established one key fact - the manager's supremacy. Fergie did however have a skill which enabled him to isolate his conflict and not allow it to spread throughout the dressig room.