POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
So basically, you are using Mourinho's worst season in his entire career, as the yard stick to judge him and ignoring all his other seasons?
So you compare his worst spell.
This season isn't really representative of Mourinho's career though. It's a complete outlier.
Its his most recent season with the same club. No important attacking players sold, and though yes he has been very successful in the past, is it not at all concerning to any of you what has happened to Chelsea this season? If we're to bring him in during the season, we'll be wanting an improvement in goals scored. Can he bring that this season - as well as make us more solid defensively - so soon after what happened there?

Bojan11

From a cnut to an another cnut, to an another cnut. Changes nothing.
Guardiola is the biggest Angel on here. Claps at his medical team when player gets injured.

His medical team quit because of him. But everyone is so keen to focus on Eva and Mourinho. But forget that.

I bet the people calling him cnuts want Giggs as temporary manager. Giggs has done far worse things off the pitch then Mourinho can ever do on it. He also has been apart of two failed managements.

Sam

Surely there should be an 'undecided' option?

Personally I'm torn. A year ago I would have bitten your hand off, but whats happened at Chelsea does put doubts in my mind.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I cannot believe any of you would want Mourinho.

He's the cynical new day equivalent of Don Revie of 'dirty Leeds' notoriety

Like Revie, he's too much of a coward to let his teams play even though they possess superior quality.

Bottle job, pussy boy.

Go look at his trophy cabinet and success in major competitions then come back, he shows a type of love/hate passion compared to LVG who can't even be arsed getting off his seat.

Bojan11

Its his most recent season with the same club. No important attacking players sold, and though yes he has been very successful in the past, is it not at all concerning to any of you what has happened to Chelsea this season? If we're to bring him in during the season, we'll be wanting an improvement in goals scored. Can he bring that this season - as well as make us more solid defensively - so soon after what happened there?
He wanted Griezmann, Stones and Pogba. He knew that Chelsea team wasn't right hence why his frustration.

He knew from the day they lost 5-2 to Spurs that the Chelsea team wasn't right. And he started parking the bus. That Chelsea team needed new players. If you don't refresh your team then you will stay back.

He had falling outs with players. I don't think he can do anything to Costa, when all Costa does is pretend to be tough and not score goals anymore. Hazard clearly showed he's a bottler just like Fabregas.

I think he'd give the players confidence and I think the players will love him. Maybe not Mata.

Ixion

It will be interesting to see how Jose responds to how badly this season has gone for Chelsea, how far his stock has fallen. How much of it was down to him, how much to the players? He isn't going to walk in somewhere and have that air of invincibility anymore.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Yep. He motivated Chelsea to win the title last year. And he motivated Real Madrid to also win the league (which included a stellar Barca side).
That's fine, as long as you blame Mourinho for this season's woes, or for Madrid's pathetic displays his final season. Do you though? There are a hell of a lot of Mourinho fans about right now crediting him for any success but apportioning no blame for any failure. Doesn't work.

Revan

Assumptionman
FFS Damo, it is just a few months away that he won the title. Technically it is the past, but it is a very recent past.
And while he did worse than LVG in the league this season, he did better in UCL. In this season, both have been equally shit, but LVG has been mostly shit and irrelevant for the last 15 years while Mourinho has been brilliant for most of that time.

Guardiola is the biggest Angel on here. Claps at his medical team when player gets injured.

His medical team quit because of him. But everyone is so keen to focus on Eva and Mourinho. But forget that.

I bet the people calling him cnuts want Giggs as temporary manager. Giggs has done far worse things off the pitch then Mourinho can ever do on it. He also has been apart of two failed managements.
Yep, the stick Mourinho got for Eva while Pep did even worse and was mentioned for like 2 hours is interesting.

Btw, I prefer Pep to Mourinho, but I would be happy with either of them. Those two have been 2/3 best managers in the world in the last 10/15 years, and the other top 3 manager is retired. So unless Fergie is coming back, or Pep had said yes, Mourinho is the best next choice. Especially that the comparable choices are unavailable too (Ancelotti apparently in Bayern, and if we want to be generous, Klopp is at Pool while Simeone isn't thinking to change his job).

Regardless, is like not signing Ronaldo because Messi might be available. But if Messi goes to City, then we get stucked with Rooney. Or have to promote Wilson.

I would love to know what people are smoking.

Revan

Assumptionman
That's fine, as long as you blame Mourinho for this season's woes, or for Madrid's pathetic displays his final season. Do you though? There are a hell of a lot of Mourinho fans about right now crediting him for any success but apportioning no blame for any failure. Doesn't work.
Second in the league, reached UCL semi-final and in fact they were just one goal away from reaching the final. Also, lost in the final of the Cup.

Sure, not great for his standards but that is only because he had set crazy standards.

PS: call me crazy, but I would take a season like that.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Second in the league, reached UCL semi-final and in fact they were just one goal away from reaching the final. Also, lost in the final of the Cup.

Sure, not great for his standards but that is only because he had set crazy standards.

PS: call me crazy, but I would take a season like that.
Taking a season like that isn't an option for you. Man Utd don't have a set of players like Madrid did back then who would guarantee wins even in poor form.

They never even once looked like threatening for the league which was a crime with that squad, 2nd or not, and they were knocked out by the first good team they faced in Europe.

It was a poor season by any top level manager's standards, not just Mourinho's. There's a reason why the talk of him being sacked pre-dated Christmas and there's a reason why all the key players there wanted him gone.

hobbers

If Pep and Ancelotti are both unavailable there is no valid reason for not turning to Mourinho, as he would be the only option with the ability to put us at the top of the pile domestically and at least competitive in the CL. If City get Pep, Ancelotti goes to Bayern and we don't get Mourinho we will be fecked, end of story. Klopp, Pochettino, Wenger, Pep..... Giggs? Get real.

Obviously you can't present it to Mourinho or to the media as that being the order of preference, but that's easily done.

Revan

Assumptionman
Taking a season like that isn't an option for you. Man Utd don't have a set of players like Madrid did back then who would guarantee wins even in poor form.

They never even once looked like threatening for the league which was a crime with that squad, 2nd or not, and they were knocked out by the first good team they faced in Europe.

It was a poor season by any top level manager's standards, not just Mourinho's. There's a reason why the talk of him being sacked pre-dated Christmas and there's a reason why all the key players there wanted him gone.
Well, the same team finished worse in the league in the following season. Sure, they fluked UCL, but in the league they finished not only below Barca, but also below Atletico.

They also defeated United, which was a very good team, having easily won EPL.

It was a poor season only if you're a Madrid fan (when everything bar winning the treble, while playing sexy football, crushing Barca means failure, and even then there is the risk of getting sacked just because it is fun to change managers) or if you have an anti-Mourinho agenda. Which clearly you have from your posts here.

bri2013

Not Mourinho related but hugely significant if true

We learned : #Guardiola leaves FCBayern end of the season and replaced as manager to #ManCity . Guardiola's successor Carlo #Ancelotti

Ryan7

Well, the same team finished worse in the league in the following season. Sure, they fluked UCL, but in the league they finished not only below Barca, but also below Atletico.

It was a poor season only if you're a Madrid fan (when everything bar winning the treble, while playing sexy football, crushing Barca means failure, and even then there is the risk of getting sacked just because it is fun to change managers) or if you have an anti-Mourinho agenda. Which clearly you have from your posts here.
That only happened due to Nani's red card. Even down to ten men we still created chances. Jose even admitted they were outplayed. I'm a Jose fan but don't see that as anything special.

Bojan11

I wouldn't really take his posts seriously. I don't even know who he supports. One day it is Barca. The next Liverpool.

But that's two reasons for hating Jose.

Oo0AahCantona

Surely there should be an 'undecided' option?

Personally I'm torn. A year ago I would have bitten your hand off, but whats happened at Chelsea does put doubts in my mind.
For me it doesnt reflect as badly on him as it does to the turd mercenaries that got him the sack. there are some proper cnuts at chelsea, the likes of Fabregas, costa, hazard, terry and apparently matic.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
They didn't deserve to beat us though let's be clear :)
Yes, I was pissed off as anyone but things like that happen. Guardiola didn't deserve to won UCL in 2009 too, but Ovrebo happened.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool

Surely you remember a big reason why they knocked you out that season?

R.e. The following season - agreed. I've consistently criticised Ancelotti's league performance that season though, so you won't find a single post on here with me saying anything other than the fact it was a poor season.

You can't use Premier League standards of a good season to judge Real Madrid or Barcelona. Quite clearly, they have ultra high standards to meet - Mourinho was only hired because Pellegrini getting a record points total wasn't enough to be deemed acceptable, after all.

To be 15 points worse off than Barcelona that season, or if you prepare, to be 15 points worse off than their own points total, was unacceptably poor. The reason was clear too, Mourinho lost the dressing room just like this season. He behaved like a child towards his captain, lost the respect of Ramos, Cristiano, Pepe and other key players. He had to go, and it wasn't a harsh decision.

Revan

Assumptionman
That only happened due to Nani's red card. Even down to ten men we still created chances. Jose even admitted they were outplayed. I'm a Jose fan but don't see that as anything special.
It wasn't anything special. It was a decent season though.

For example, we finished 2nd in the league in 2012 and out of UCL in group stages, but no-one says that Ferguson was bad that season and it was a failure. That is worse than Mourinho's third season with Madrid. Or well, any of the seasons: 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2009-2010. In the first two seasons there we finished 3rd in the league and out of UCL in quarters, in 05-06 we finished second in the league but out of UCL in group stage, in 09-10 we finished second in the league but out of UCL in quarters.

But all, were decent seasons. Sure, not great, but also not bad.

The fact that finishing second in the league and losing 4-3 against a brilliant Dortmund side makes people say that 'it was a shit season from him' tells just how good he really is. Because, if any of the last two useless managers we had did so, we would still be signing about him.

Ryan7

It wasn't anything special. It was a decent season though.

For example, we finished 2nd in the league in 2012 and out of UCL in group stages, but no-one says that Ferguson was bad that season and it was a failure. That is worse than Mourinho's third season with Madrid. Or well, any of the seasons: 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2009-2010. In the first two seasons there we finished 3rd in the league and out of UCL in quarters, in 05-06 we finished second in the league but out of UCL in group stage, in 09-10 we finished second in the league but out of UCL in quarters.

But all, were decent seasons. Sure, not great, but also not bad.

The fact that finishing second in the league and losing 4-3 against a brilliant Dortmund side makes people say that 'it was a shit season from him' tells just how good he really is. Because, if any of the last two useless managers we had did so, we would still be signing about him.
I was referring to the Champions League game specifically as not being special, not that season as a whole. :)

zvezdar

voted yes.

I wanted Mourinho in to replace Fergie. Of the managers who were realistically available at the time, he was the one with a big enough ego to take over and not shrink in Fergie's shadow.

Now, we need to think about the bigger managerial picture. Van Gaal is not here for the long term, so we must move for the best managers when they become available. Guardiola, Ancelotti and Mourinho are the three best available managers. If Guardiola and Ancelotti have already been snapped up, then we must go for Mourinho now, otherwise we'll find ourselves yet again trying to pick from the managerial scraps as it were. The worst situation would be for us to end the season looking for a new manager when no obvious candidates are available.

Mourinho is a winner, and the counterattacking version of the game he has played in the past would actually be decent to watch and fit with the United ethos of fast-paced waves of attack (ie not possession football). He can handle big egos, and if he is allowed to fully run the club (rather than others making player decisions for him) he'll have the power necessary to keep players in check and refresh the side.

A big part of Fergie's success was rotating 3 in, 3 out most seasons as well as being ruthless with players who are stirring trouble. Let Mourinho do that and he could be successful well past his usual 2-3 seasons.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I always felt that, for Jose, we are his natural home. The place where he belongs. I think a lot of the things that we've grown to dislike him for would become things that would become adored by our fans. Much like Cantona, the flawed genius.

I also always had the feeling that he'd settle here. He's got Madrid out of the system, he's just been knocked down a peg or three. Bring him in, get the club back into that seige mentality, and watch us and him flourish once again. I'm convinced that it would be one of the most important decisions we make and would see us back where we belong, with a manager that the players and fans love.

Member 5225

Seems Jose was pissed at owners not spending the cash to get the top tier players he wanted; and seems the United board have a ton of cash and top players in mind that they want the manager to purchase and build a team around - seems an ideal fit!

Member 5225

I always felt that, for Jose, we are his natural home. The place where he belongs. I think a lot of the things that we've grown to dislike him for would become things that would become adored by our fans. Much like Cantona, the flawed genius.

I also always had the feeling that he'd settle here. He's got Madrid out of the system, he's just been knocked down a peg or three. Bring him in, get the club back into that seige mentality, and watch us and him flourish once again. I'm convinced that it would be one of the most important decisions we make and would see us back where we belong, with a manager that the players and fans love.
Nailed it with 'flawed genius'

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Chelsea in a week would be fun with Mourinho at the helm.

Revan

Assumptionman
Surely you remember a big reason why they knocked you out that season?

R.e. The following season - agreed. I've consistently criticised Ancelotti's league performance that season though, so you won't find a single post on here with me saying anything other than the fact it was a poor season.

You can't use Premier League standards of a good season to judge Real Madrid or Barcelona. Quite clearly, they have ultra high standards to meet - Mourinho was only hired because Pellegrini getting a record points total wasn't enough to be deemed acceptable, after all.

To be 15 points worse off than Barcelona that season, or if you prepare, to be 15 points worse off than their own points total, was unacceptably poor. The reason was clear too, Mourinho lost the dressing room just like this season. He behaved like a child towards his captain, lost the respect of Ramos, Cristiano, Pepe and other key players. He had to go, and it wasn't a harsh decision.
He had to go, but that talks more about how stupid Madrid are, rather than how shit he is. They aren't doing much better with Benitez, are they? Or if they didn't score in 94th minute against Atletico, the following season would have been just as bad? But they did, slim margines.

Ronaldo is a petty boy, everyone knows that. Casillas was absolute shit and needed to be shipped. Varane was playing better than Pepe. I don't remember Ramos ever falling with him, or saying something bad about Mourinho.

My point is, second isn't that bad, after you win the title the previous season. Especially, if you have to go against Barca. It might not be great, but it isn't the failure people meant out to be. They slightly underachieved in the league that season, compared to slightly overachieving the season before that, but it isn't bad.

Similarly, I don't think that Ancelotti was bad last season despite that they finished only second and reached only the semis of UCL. It is virtually - on results - the same season as Mourinho's. I think that Madrid are crazy though, but that is nothing new.

Riz

It was a poor season only if you're a Madrid fan (when everything bar winning the treble, while playing sexy football, crushing Barca means failure, and even then there is the risk of getting sacked just because it is fun to change managers) or if you have an anti-Mourinho agenda.
:lol:

AshfordLad

Bob's wife probably has him put on a Mourinho mask to bed, everytime he wants some action. :lol:

Sam

For me it doesnt reflect as badly on him as it does to the turd mercenaries that got him the sack. there are some proper cnuts at chelsea, the likes of Fabregas, costa, hazard, terry and apparently matic.
Maybe, but for him to lose the players so badly, and so quickly, does raise the alarm bells. Plus the whole Eva situation, which was terribly handled.

I'm genuinely torn. We need to get rid of LVG, but the options to replace him are so limited.

I've always been a huge Jose fan, and wanted him at OT (as SAF's successor) for years. But he does seem to have genuinly lost the plot this year.

If I had to make a snap choice now, I'd say go for him as he's better then LVG and *shiver* Giggs, but I have my reservations. In all honesty, we should have just got him from the start, when Fergie went, and none of the mess thats followed would have happened. Maybe thats what the universe is trying to do, push us together like it should have happened in 2013 :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, it is true to be fair.

Capello was sacked twice for only winning the league. Del Bosque was sacked for winning only the league and not UCL too, despite that he won UCL twice in four years there. Heyckness was sacked for only winning UCL in his only season there.

Yep, they are crazy! Batshit crazy!

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He had to go, but that talks more about how stupid Madrid are, rather than how shit he is. They aren't doing much better with Benitez, are they? Or if they didn't score in 94th minute against Atletico, the following season would have been just as bad? But they did, slim margines.

Ronaldo is a petty boy, everyone knows that. Casillas was absolute shit and needed to be shipped. Varane was playing better than Pepe. I don't remember Ramos ever falling with him, or saying something bad about Mourinho.

My point is, second isn't that bad, after you win the title the previous season. Especially, if you have to go against Barca. It might not be great, but it isn't the failure people meant out to be. They slightly underachieved in the league that season, compared to slightly overachieving the season before that, but it isn't bad.

Similarly, I don't think that Ancelotti was bad last season despite that they finished only second and reached only the semis of UCL. It is virtually - on results - the same season as Mourinho's. I think that Madrid are crazy though, but that is nothing new.
Again, the difference between our views here seem to be caused by the fact you're judging Real Madrid using Premier League standards.

They're a La Liga giant who, no matter how their manager performs, will finish 3rd at worst (2nd up until Mourinho's final season, before the recent Atlético emerged). You have to look beyond that to judge whether they were successful. It would be like saying every Bayern manager was a success even if they just scrapped a league trophy and won nothing else - the vast majority of managers would have done that anyway.

Mourinho's final season was filled with petty disputes with his players, the media and the fans, with very little quality football on show. Ring any bells?

R.e. Ramos. You must have been living in a bubble if you missed him and Mourinho's fall out.

Anyway, we're never going to agree on this. Maybe you'll change your mind after Mourinho's ways wear you down in a year or two.

Member 5225

:lol: love how the poll settled at about 70% against, and 30% for, and suddenly has started swinging wildly, the other way!

Riz

Well, it is true to be fair.

Capello was sacked twice for only winning the league. Del Bosque was sacked for winning only the league and not UCL too, despite that he won UCL twice in four years there. Heyckness was sacked for only winning UCL in his only season there.

Yep, they are crazy! Batshit crazy!
Oh I 100% agree with you. They sacked Carlo Ancelotti a year after winning the CL and Copa in his debut season to replace him with fecking Benitez. Rafa Benitez. Rafa fecking Benitez.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
What would you all expect Mourinho to do with the squad? A few things I can think of:

- Mata sidelined pretty rapidly.
- We can probably forget Januzaj, Pereira, Wilson, Tuanzebe etc ever establishing themselves.
- Could see Valencia used on the right wing against stronger opponents quite often.
- I'd imagine Herrera would become first choice and we wouldn't see two DMFs at home to teams we should we beating anymore. He does favour a 4-2-3-1 but I think he'd realise that formation does not suit our squad.
- 3-5-2 never to be seen again.
- Don't think we'd see Blind at CB again.

Member 5225

Manchester United have contacted Jose Mourinho within the last hour we’ve been told.

We do not know any exact details, for now, but United have moved quickly to secure the former Chelsea manager as it seems increasingly likely that Louis Van Gaal is to be jettisoned.

There are a lot of things to be ironed out before Mourinho could be appointed. Some on the board are concerned by his behaviour and the way his sides play football but it seems the lure of the success, he undoubtedly brings, is outweighing any negativity.

At the moment that is all we know but we will work on bringing you more as soon as we hear anything else.

** Update 7.00pm **

What we’ve also been told, from a different source this, that a key player and member of staff went to see members of the board on Friday night and told them “appoint Mourinho now”. The feeling is that the season can be saved and United can still win the league IF Mourinho is appointed instantly. Our source says they were told this before today’s game and had doubts straightaway that United would win today.

http://www.theunitedpages.com/breaking-the-call-has-been-made/

Sam

Manchester United have contacted Jose Mourinho within the last hour we’ve been told.

We do not know any exact details, for now, but United have moved quickly to secure the former Chelsea manager as it seems increasingly likely that Louis Van Gaal is to be jettisoned.

There are a lot of things to be ironed out before Mourinho could be appointed. Some on the board are concerned by his behaviour and the way his sides play football but it seems the lure of the success, he undoubtedly brings, is outweighing any negativity.

At the moment that is all we know but we will work on bringing you more as soon as we hear anything else.

** Update 7.00pm **

What we’ve also been told, from a different source this, that a key player and member of staff went to see members of the board on Friday night and told them “appoint Mourinho now”. The feeling is that the season can be saved and United can still win the league IF Mourinho is appointed instantly. Our source says they were told this before today’s game and had doubts straightaway that United would win today.

http://www.theunitedpages.com/breaking-the-call-has-been-made/
Rooney and Giggs.

Bet your house on it.