Poppies and remembrance at football matches

Sweet Square

In fairness I hate the British Army and I still buy a poppy every year.............................only so I can crush it in front of the old bint who sells them outside Tesco. Muahahaha

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
You can't say that football has nothing to do with wars, as hundreds of footballers fought in them and plenty died.
Hundreds of ***insert your own profession*** died in wars.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Bit of a side note but that stat is pretty amazing. It can hardly be accurate? Only ten foreign players in the PL from countries that haven't been invaded by the UK at some point?
Yes, it's a bullshit statistic, you've got Boruc playing for B'mouth and I cannot recall Britain in any form attacking us.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Not saying they are, but don't anyone say football has no connection to war. War affects everyone.
It also affects the like of James McClean & Matic when UK forces were murdering and bombing their people.
Hence they're not wearing a poppy.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Looking at the video above . . . and I doubt Matic will be getting that next weekend.

So to what extent is the not wearing of the poppy by McClean more about anti-Irish Catholic bigotry?

Classical Mechanic

I mean, if you can't understand my point of view then there's no point arguing. I find his statement hypocritical, my whole country does (this was news here too). I had two months when his country bombed mine for four years, had to watch out for landmines when I started going to school. It's not his fault, it's his country's, but he's not defending himself in his statement so it's not about him. Do you even know why NATO bombed them in 1999?

I like Matić, always did, but this thing bothers me.
I wasn't commenting on the rights or wrongs of his opinion, just the way he handled it.

GeorgieBoy

Looking at the video above . . . and I doubt Matic will be getting that next weekend.

So to what extent is the not wearing of the poppy by McClean more about anti-Irish Catholic bigotry?
I think that certainly plays a part.

Josep Dowling

Poppys on shirts is a recent phenomenon though. Why would a football player need to explain himself over a what? 8 year rabble fest?
It’s not a case of him needing to give an explanation it was just pure curiosity on my part. I know it’s the type of question he would be asked by a media outlet so just wondered if he had provided an answer, which I have seen on instragram he has now done.

Josep Dowling

You seem to be suggesting everyone should wear one regardless of their views or nationality. That's ridiculous. I don't wear one, no particular reason other than that it makes no difference to how I remember the lives lost in war.
I am not saying that. I literally do not care if someone wears a poppy or not. In fact I think the whole use of the poppy has gone way over the top and is almost being used as a form of fashion rather than remembering soldiers who have died.

I just asked if he had given a reason to the media, which I have seen he has today. End of.

OverratedOpinion

I don't find it classy, I find it hypocritical, but I'm from Bosnia so I'm very biased about it. His country wasn't bombed (if you can even call that thing bombing) for no reason, it's because of Serbia's 90's warmongering politics. He's playing in England for years and now he's making thing out of it, c'mon. :)
Do you imagine that Matic had much sway within the Serbian government when he was 12?

He also didn't make a thing out of it, he chose not to wear it and was questioned.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You can't say that football has nothing to do with wars, as hundreds of footballers fought in them and plenty died.
Exactly. English football has a history with the wars, and it's part of the English game now.

If people don't like that, fine. But a small minority finding it tedious/not wanting to wear a poppy should not mean that the entire thing has to stop. Nobody should be forced to take part, or be ripped to shreds if they don't want to wear one though.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Bit of a side note but that stat is pretty amazing. It can hardly be accurate? Only ten foreign players in the PL from countries that haven't been invaded by the UK at some point?

I've seen nonsense statistics like this before 'only like 5 countries haven't been invaded in the U.K in history!!!'

These kind of lists include British troops literally crossing through countries, I believe some lists even include Latvia despite British troops literally going there to liberate it. And yeah, places like Serbia and Poland where British troops were sent to assist. Lists like this always portray the U.K as a bloodthirsty invader on par with Nazi Germany, when really we were just the key European power for a while so naturally found ourselves embroiled in a lot of conflict.

Britain has invaded a lot of countries, just like every European power has, the continent has a long history of warfare which spread across the globe due to colonialism. That said, are we at a point where if your country has ever been at war with another one, you no longer have any respect for them and their war dead?

I'm not sat here hating France for Napoleon, Germany for Hitler or the Danish for the Viking invasions. The past is the past.

RedDevil@84

Do you imagine that Matic had much sway within the Serbian government when he was 12?

He also didn't make a thing out of it, he chose not to wear it and was questioned.
I think the poster is heavily biased because he is from a rival country to Serbia. His other posts are almost border-lining "The Serbs deserved it" argument.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I've seen nonsense statistics like this before 'only like 5 countries haven't been invaded in the U.K in history!!!'

These kind of lists include British troops literally crossing through countries, I believe some lists even include Latvia despite British troops literally going there to liberate it. And yeah, places like Serbia and Poland where British troops were sent to assist. Lists like this always portray the U.K as a bloodthirsty invader on par with Nazi Germany, when really we were just the key European power for a while so naturally found ourselves embroiled in a lot of conflict.

Britain has invaded a lot of countries, just like every European power has, the continent has a long history of warfare which spread across the globe due to colonialism. That said, are we at a point where if your country has ever been at war with another one, you no longer have any respect for them and their war dead?

I'm not sat here hating France for Napoleon, Germany for Hitler or the Danish for the Viking invasions. The past is the past.
No one should be forced to do so by wearing a poppy, and you are also not forced to wear anything to show respect to German soilders who died in the war so its doesnt mean much to say you are not sitting there hating.

At the end of the day people should be free to show respect or not to. Its up to them.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I think that certainly plays a part.
No I don't think so. The religious divide has long since passed into history and the white British populace is almost wholly a secular one.

He's regarded as someone who disrespects something that a section of white Britain holds dear and that has nothing to do with him being a catholic. Those hurling abuse probably only see the inside of a church at weddings and funerals, if at all. and wouldn't know the difference between a protestant and a catholic.

He needs to quit quoting Bobby Sands though.

Eire Red United

No I don't think so. The religious divide has long since passed into history and the white British populace is almost wholly a secular one.

He's regarded as someone who disrespects something that a section of white Britain holds dear and that has nothing to do with him being a catholic. Those hurling abuse probably only see the inside of a church at weddings and funerals, if at all. and wouldn't know the difference between a protestant and a catholic.

He needs to quit quoting Bobby Sands though.
He really doesn’t.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think it might be because to many McClean isn’t seen as foreign enough. With Matic people probably don’t question it as much. Eastern Europe seems a world away and Serbian is his main tongue, whereas Ireland is on the doorstep.

RedDevil@84

That said, are we at a point where if your country has ever been at war with another one, you no longer have any respect for them and their war dead?
This is not true though. Some people are indifferent, do not intend to show respect overtly, but are hardly disrespecting anything.

It was a different thing if the said footballers were acting like d**ks when the moment of silence was being observed before match.

Josep Dowling

Same time the Tories took power. When a government implements austerity measures they also seek to bolster patriotism to offset it. It’s the way the tides were turning, 2010 was also the same year The Great British Bake Off started and we began to have a swathe of things called “The Great British” blah blah. Poppy is now just another symbol of being a True Patriotic Brit.
I can’t work out whether this is a joke or serious.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Same time the Tories took power. When a government implements austerity measures they also seek to bolster patriotism to offset it. It’s the way the tides were turning, 2010 was also the same year The Great British Bake Off started and we began to have a swathe of things called “The Great British” blah blah. Poppy is now just another symbol of being a True Patriotic Brit.
Yeah the same thing happened in 1997 with Cool Britannia and Tony Blair, leader of the....oh.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
No one should be forced to do so by wearing a poppy, and you are also not forced to wear anything to show respect to German soilders who died in the war so its doesnt mean much to say you are not sitting there hating.

At the end of the day people should be free to show respect or not to. Its up to them.
For like the millionth time, I have absolutely no problem with somebody not wearing a poppy. It doesn't bother me and is absolutely a free choice, forcing people or making them feel guilty is ridiculous .. I myself have not even bought one yet, it's not something I go out of my way to do.

I was just addressing the point about Britain supposedly having invaded the entire world. If everybody held grudges against countries who at one point invaded their own, we would be nowhere as a world.

Also, if I was in Germany and asked to take part in a minutes silence in respect of German war dead, I would absolutely observe it. Vast majority who served were decent men either forced in to duty, or just guys who felt it was their civic duty to sign up. I don't blame them at all for the slaughter.

But yes, people are absolutely free to wear a poppy, no questions there.

Nick7

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history...-of-ten-countries-so-look-out-Luxembourg.html

This seems to be what he's basing it on. I can't think of anything that might even remotely count as Britain invading Poland though.
That's bollocks. Britain haven't invaded or been in battle with most of those countries. By proxy, maybe. The Soviet invasion of Poland, although the Soviets weren't part of the allies at that time. There were also medieval battles in Poland that the "English" may or may not have taken part in. The Frisians help in the Battle of Grunwald, but that's far more likely to be Dutch Frisians, rather than the Frisians who migrated to Britain.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I don't bear grudges but as an Englishman I reserve the right to not shake the hand of anyone called Norman.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
For like the millionth time, I have absolutely no problem with somebody not wearing a poppy. It doesn't bother me and is absolutely a free choice, forcing people or making them feel guilty is ridiculous .. I myself have not even bought one yet, it's not something I go out of my way to do.

I was just addressing the point about Britain supposedly having invaded the entire world. If everybody held grudges against countries who at one point invaded their own, we would be nowhere as a world.

Also, if I was in Germany and asked to take part in a minutes silence in respect of German war dead, I would absolutely observe it. Vast majority who served were decent men either forced in to duty, or just guys who felt it was their civic duty to sign up. I don't blame them at all for the slaughter.

But yes, people are absolutely free to wear a poppy, no questions there.
I agree in general. Although it should be pointed out that some peoples lives are still affected by those things (for instance if they had to flee a wore torn country or lost friends or family, or come from countries where the affects are still apparent)

All in all any invasion or war will leave a bad taste in someone peoples mouths.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's bollocks. Britain haven't invaded or been in battle with most of those countries. By proxy, maybe. The Soviet invasion of Poland, although the Soviets weren't part of the allies at that time. There were also medieval battles in Poland that the "English" may or may not have taken part in. The Frisians help in the Battle of Grunwald, but that's far more likely to be Dutch Frisians, rather than the Frisians who migrated to Britain.
Ya I figured. The Telegraph article is a weird one.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I agree in general. Although it should be pointed out that some peoples lives are still affected by those things (for instance if they had to flee a wore torn country or lost friends or family, or come from countries where the affects are still apparent)

All in all any invasion or war will leave a bad taste in someone peoples mouths.
Sure, that's more understandable and I totally understand why somebody like Matic (who personally experienced warfare) would not want to wear a poppy.

I don't think he hates England or the English though, and overall I'd say holding a grudge against entire countries based on political & military acts is not a good idea. All it does is lead to further tensions down the road, in a perfect world when the war is over people from both sides should be able to respect each others dead and try and move past the aggression so nothing similar ever happens again.

Sadly, it seems people want to hang on to the anger, and are totally set on how they view a nation. Articles like the one above don't help, where Britain is basically portrayed as a total warmongerer stomping all over the world, there's plenty of examples of genuine aggressions by the U.K without needing to get creative.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think it might be because to many McClean isn’t seen as foreign enough. With Matic people probably don’t question it as much. Eastern Europe seems a world away and Serbian is his main tongue, whereas Ireland is on the doorstep.
McClean, an outspoken Republican, not only plays in front of a group of fans whose international song repertoire still includes "No Surrender" but has almost entirely played in what we might call Brexit towns throughout his career. It really doesn't surprise me that they hold him to a different standard than someone like Matic.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
where Britain is basically portrayed as a total warmongerer stomping all over the world, there's plenty of examples of genuine aggressions by the U.K without needing to get creative.
Well Britain did over large parts of it. As did the Belgians, the Danish, the Dutch, the French, the Spanish, the Germans, the Italians, the Portugese, the Russians etc

Naval power was the bedrock for Britain establishing the largest empire and prevented it from being subsumed by another's.

stevoc

Yeah i doubt religion really comes into it but there will definitely be an anti Irish element to it. With a section of the Stoke fans anyway.

He does if he wants to deflect accusations of being pro Ira which got a few Irish lads in a sweat here earlier.
To be fair quoting someone doesn't necessarily mean you are ''pro IRA'' or support and condone the actions of others that belong to a group that person was once a part of. If that were the case then everyone who's quoted Nelson Mandela over the last 20-30 years supported the actions of the ANC in the past, which obviously isn't the case.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
McClean, an outspoken Republican, not only plays in front of a group of fans whose international song repertoire still includes "No Surrender" but has almost entirely played in what we might call Brexit towns throughout his career. It really doesn't surprise me that they hold him to a different standard than someone like Matic.
Agree to an extent but Matic has only just made this announcement. Wait until he's next at Stoke etc.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He really doesn’t.
Well Britain did over large parts of it. As did the Belgians, the Danish, the Dutch, the French, the Spanish, the Germans, the Italians, the Portugese, the Russians etc

Naval power was the bedrock for Britain establishing the largest empire and prevented it from being subsumed by another's.
I'm very aware of Britain's colonial past, but I'd argue it was a little bit more complex than just marching around like a mongol horde.

Anyway, that's not really a discussion for this thread .. the point being that yeah, like the other European powers Britain did it's fair share of colonising, but that article singles us out as if we were particularly aggressive. It justifies this by including countries we never actually invaded.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I'm very aware of Britain's colonial past, but I'd argue it was a little bit more complex than just marching around like a mongol horde.

Anyway, that's not really a discussion for this thread .. the point being that yeah, like the other European powers Britain did it's fair share of colonising, but that article singles us out as if we were particularly aggressive. It justifies this by including countries we never actually invaded.
Yes it's actually just factually incorrect.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Interesting points as ever, lads. Does anybody know, I wonder, where James McClean stands on the Great British Bake-Off?

Last edited:

stevoc

Interesting points as ever, lads. Does anybody now, I wonder, where James McClean stands on the Great British Bake-Off?
He'll probably be forced to release a statement thought his club or social media to explain his stance on it.