Portugal | WC 2022 Discussion | Roberto Martinez to become next manager

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
OMG - a man who spoiled the golden generation of Belgium is now going to spoil the golden generation of Portugal.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think it's fair to say that he 'spoiled' a generation. Underperformed a bit, yeah, but not spoiled. They lost to the winners of the 18 and 20 tournaments.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
How exactly did he ruin Wigan I wonder. If anything, he made them punch above their weight.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think it's fair to say that he 'spoiled' a generation. Underperformed a bit, yeah, but not spoiled. They lost to the winners of the 18 and 20 tournaments.
Indeed. Euro 2016 may have underwhelmed by going out to Wales but what was the expectation for 2018? They lost to France for fecks sake! Euro 2020 they lost to the eventual winners Italy.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Indeed. Euro 2016 may have underwhelmed by going out to Wales but what was the expectation for 2018? They lost to France for fecks sake! Euro 2020 they lost to the eventual winners Italy.
Wilmots was in charge in 2016, so it wasn't even Martinez wasting that.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Ruined Wigan. Ruined Belgium's golden generation. Portugal's golden generation is next.
His agent must be a genius
I don't think he ruined anything in Belgium bar the last WC, though.

Belgium under him reached 3rd place at WC 2018 losing in semis to the future champions, quarter finals at Euro 2020 losing to the eventualn champions, and lost in semis at the NL against the future champions as well.

The only thing you can claim on Martinez is losing to Morocco, and not getting out of group stage in the last WC, and even then Morocco reached the semis, so they were a very good team.

Winning stuff as a non-big nation is very difficult, Portugal did in 2016 but it was a fluke, they should have lost to France in the normal time, can't get more lucky than the opponent having a shot on post at the very last minute, and then scoring a screamer from an unfancied player in the extra time.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I wouldn't mind Bielsa. We would probably win nothing but it would be entertaining.
You say that now, then when you lose to a pragmatic team after dominating them, you are gonna get even more mad than when losing with a defensive manager.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Martinez is a fair average manager, but expecting Belgium to win tournaments just because of golden generation is bs.

For a non-big team winning trophies it's super difficult, even with "golden generation".

I don't know where people get the idea that "non-big nation golden generation = trophies"

We have go back to Denmark 1992 to watch a golden generation from a non-big nation winning fair and square, because Greece 2004 and Portugal 2016 seemed a fluke, and involved a lot of luck (way more luck than the usual needed to win a international trophy).

The Siege

I want a powerpoint presentation masterclass from this man, and I hope he calls it 'How to slides into a job you don't deserve'.
Hasn't done anything of note in football since like 2014, and yet here he is. What an absolute legend.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Yes I don't think that he failed with either Wigan or Belgium. He messed up at the end with Belgium, by continuing to pick players that were out of form / well past their best, and not giving more opportunities to younger players. But reaching the semis in 2018 beating England and far more notably Brazil before narrowly losing to the eventual winners France, and beating Portugal in 2021 before losing to the eventual winners Italy in a high quality quarter-final, definitely weren't failures IMO.

Wigan were always going to go down eventually and I think that keeping them up 3 years in a row and then leading them to major trophy constitutes a success. They suffered quite a few heavy defeats under him, but also beat Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal (home and away), Liverpool (home and away), Tottenham (twice at White Hart Lane) and of course beat and outplayed City in the FA Cup final.

Everton were excellent during his first season there. They still had the defensive spine left behind by Moyes, plus they had the firepower of Lukaku, another loanee Deulofeu performing well and and a more progressive style, and I think that's their highest ever points tally in the Premier League era (and since the Howard Kendall glory days). But they failed to kick on became a soft touch when that defensive spine declined with age / disintegrated.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What's the secret? He did well with Wigan and that's it really.

Has anyone else been linked with the job?

Fts 74

I have no idea how he gets into the frame for Big jobs like this.

Talks a good game I'll give him that.

RedDevilQuebecois

Martinez has to be the biggest bullshitter of an used car salesman of a manager there is. I just don't understand how countries can still fall into his bullshit by now.

Lay

Given Belgiums FIFA world ranking as the best team or one of the best in International football for the past few years, you assume they would win ‘something’.
They weren’t better than France in 2018 and finished 3rd. Thats not a failure. They then lost to the eventual Euros winners in 2020. Only this past World Cup was a failure but the golden generation was old and past it.

Only other thing is the nations league but I have no idea who won the last one

Joel Miller

Absolutely mystifying how he keeps landing top jobs, even if it’s international football.

AshRK

2018 was his best work. Finishing 3rd place is no mean feat. Also, their draws minus 2016 has been hard. Even this WC, I felt if Lukaku wasn't Lukaku they could have reached RO16. He is a decent coach and may out perform his belgium stint with Portugal. (Although Portugal could do better)

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Given Belgiums FIFA world ranking as the best team or one of the best in International football for the past few years, you assume they would win ‘something’.
Brazil has been number 1 for a while, and they won nothing either, and they are big nation...unlike Belgium.

What are you on about mentioning ranking FIFA as "Belgium should have won something"?

And don't mention Greece 2004 or Portugal 2016 flukes as example of winning stuff as small countries due to "golden generation", cause you know better that those victories were very lucky, and not a product of masterclass individual quality.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Martinez has to be the biggest bullshitter of an used car salesman of a manager there is. I just don't understand how countries can still fall into his bullshit by now.
The definition of failing your way to success, watch him get the brazil job after crashing Portugal out of the WC.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
They weren’t better than France in 2018 and finished 3rd. Thats not a failure. They then lost to the eventual Euros winners in 2020. Only this past World Cup was a failure but the golden generation was old and past it.

Only other thing is the nations league but I have no idea who won the last one
They are supposed to be a force. They SHOULD be better than France and Italy. It’s every bit a failure, if the so called ‘golden generation’ can triumph during their peak years.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think it's a bad choice. National football is different and having Flick or Luis Enrique doesn't guarantee anything.
Sometimes it's about the coach's idea fitting in with what he has and not being a terrorist with his decisions.
It's more about letting everything flow.
They want an attacking coach and I think Martinez is one, without weird ideas as far as I know.

Lay

They are supposed to be a force. They SHOULD be better than France and Italy. It’s every bit a failure, if the so called ‘golden generation’ can triumph during their peak years.
Why should they be better than France :confused: France who have reached 3 finals in 6 years and won the nations league.. that France?

Belgium at no point were the best team in the world, on paper or on the pitch. They had a golden generation but at the same time they had to compete with a French team with incredible depth.

poleglass red

whoever his agent is, he needs a pay rise, how this man walked into a top job after that shambles they just had in Qatar, wow.....

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, I'm not quite sure I understand the stick he gets. Done well with Swansea in his first job. Then done ok with Wigan, won them the cup, ok they got relegated but that only seemed a matter of time.

Then went to Everton and finished 5th first season. It kind of unravelled a bit 2nd season but they finished 12th and made 2 Cup Semi finals.

Belgium again I thought he done well. 3rd in 2018, quarter in 2020, by this World Cup Belgium had a full stack of old, unfit and out of form players.

I think he speaks well, comes across well, seems intelligent enough. I don't mind him at all.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
People laugh hysterically at Martinez but he was manager of Belgium during what was for me one of the best ever tournaments from a WC team who didn’t win the trophy.

He also won a major honour at Wigan keeping them up against the odds year after year. He was also manager of Everton during their best season of the last 15 years.

I don’t think he’s a top draw coach and there’s plenty of bad moments as a manager but his CV overall isn’t too bad.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yeah, I'm not quite sure I understand the stick he gets. Done well with Swansea in his first job. Then done ok with Wigan, won them the cup, ok they got relegated but that only seemed a matter of time.

Then went to Everton and finished 5th first season. It kind of unravelled a bit 2nd season but they finished 12th and made 2 Cup Semi finals.

Belgium again I thought he done well. 3rd in 2018, quarter in 2020, by this World Cup Belgium had a full stack of old, unfit and out of form players.

I think he speaks well, comes across well, seems intelligent enough. I don't mind him at all.
Well done convincing me he's not crap but why do I still have the feeling they could have done better?