Portugal | WC 2022 Discussion | Roberto Martinez to become next manager

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Portuguese football needs a long look at itself. If Argentina can make 2 finals in 3 world cups. This Portugal generation should at least be getting to a semi final in recent tournaments. Is it a mentality issue ? Always pointing fingers at the referee ?
Argentina has Messi.

There is no way Argentina without Messi reach 2 finals in 3 world cups, they are gonna struggle once Messi retires from the national team, cause the quality of the the new argentinian players, bar Julian Alvarez and Enzo Fernandez, is far from being top.

Portugal has a very good names, but international football is very random sometimes in the sense that teams like Morocco reach a WC semifinal while barely having any top player in their squad (except Hakimi).

Not the first time it happens either, Portugal with great names in 2002 got knocked out in group stage while Turkey and South Korea reached semifinals.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Imagine sacking Santos and hiring one of the only other managers at the World Cup who was objectively worse than he was. :lol:

What an absolute clown show. Sympathies to our resident Portuguese posters.

The Firestarter

Martinez job interview:
-Will you start Ronaldo if he can barely walk?
- Siu
- You are hired

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I really don't think Martinez is that poor, I actually think he may get them closer to performing at their full potential than Santos.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I don’t get it. Is there a world class manager called Roberto Martinez they all keep confusing him with?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
What an amazing gig international management is for a spoofer as well.

Only have to do any actual work a few times every couple of months and spend the rest of the time watching footy, if you can be arsed. Once you've bluffed your way into a job, it's probably at least 2-4 years before you get found out, whereas it'd be weeks or months in the club game. Even if you shit the bed completely, some FA with more money than sense in the middle east will probably still give you a nice cushy gig as long as you've been dossing around the top levels of the international scene long enough to have a name.

Where do I sign up?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I reckon people are overestimating the salary the Portuguese FA can offer.

Irwin99

That's actually a decent Portugal squad too I thought. What a waste.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I really don't think Martinez is that poor, I actually think he may get them closer to performing at their full potential than Santos.
Yeah, i think he is decent.

Played pretty good football with Belgium in 2018, much better than whatever Belgium showed in the last 5 years.

The squad is a bit old now, i didn't expect them to perform that high again in 2022

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Honestly thought they'd wait until May and tempt Mourinho.

A strange move for sure.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Feckwit appointment, they're gonna waste another few years of their talent.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This reminds me of when Everton appointed Benitez.

The Portugal-Spain rivalry is friendly but serious. I reckon if he was Pep Guardiola the Portuguese public would be alright with it. However, Martinez...I'm sorry there's a bunch of Portuguese coaches who are as good as him.

You appoint someone who has history with your rivals they better be THE BEST. Otherwise the second it starts going wrong, it goes wrong really bad.

Martinez for Portugal is up against it from day one. The Portuguese media is going to eat him alive.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I thought this was a joke at first ! Maybe he’ll completely prove me wrong (I hope he does as I want Portugal to do well as someone who loves visiting the country especially Porto and Sesimbra), but I think this a daft appointment. Then again as others have said, it’s probably more difficult than ever for many national federations to attract mangers in work with reasonably strong clubs (or even those out of work but holding out hope for a return to club management).

I did defend him when he was at Wigan, after all he led them to major trophy thumping a very good Everton team at Goodison and outplaying City in the final. Yes they continually struggled against relegation during his time there, but let’s face it they overachieved by spending 8 consecutive seasons in the top flight anyway

redshaw

There's not a great deal of choice out there for international management so it's not that surprising and he could do well given the standards.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
So Belgium wasted their golden generation with this clown in charge and now Portugal intend to do the same.

Amusing.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I thought this was a joke at first ! Maybe he’ll completely prove me wrong (I hope he does as I want Portugal to do well as someone who loves visiting the country especially Porto and Sesimbra), but I think this a daft appointment. Then again as others have said, it’s probably more difficult than ever for many national federations to attract mangers in work with reasonably strong clubs (or even those out of work but holding out hope for a return to club management).

I did defend him when he was at Wigan, after all he led them to major trophy thumping a very good Everton team at Goodison and outplaying City in the final. Yes they continually struggled against relegation during his time there, but let’s face it they overachieved by spending 8 consecutive seasons in the top flight anyway
While I am not impressed with the choice, if he is able to renew the team (something he didn't make with Belgium) and if he is able to close the Ronaldo chapter I will support him, that and if he is able to choose players from his head and not by pressure of the clubs and Mendes here, so I will keep my judgement until the next Euros, we certainly would qualify whoever was in charge.

What is mind boggling for me is reading comments from people here not wanting someone from Spain coaching the National Team, I thought this type of sentiments regarding International Managers was a thing of the past, I never had a issue with Scolari and he was from Brazil, and I particularly don't have the feeling that younger generations here hate people from Spain.

NoPace

He turned Belgium into a decent side with slow CBs so he makes some sense for Portugal, but it feels like a Southgate sort of thing where his overall record will be very, very good but he won't actually cross the finish line and win anything. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I think it's a solid B- type appointment for them.

He looks bad right now because he got the most important question wrong by not pivoting in November of 2021 when Belgium qualified and biting the bullet in things like the Nations League and bringing in a fresh generation of Trossard, Faes, Theate, Opendu and Saelemakers (the kind of hardworking winger you can use in a tournament when you have De Bruyne as a 10 to win games) to give the team some legs.

But overall he did a decent job.

NoPace

He can play good attacking football and excels with good attacking players which Portugal have.
Yeah, he suits the squad, it's one of the 2 solid arguments for his appointment, along with Belgium losing to basically nobody who wasn't very, very good under him.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Honestly i thought Portugal will get Mourinho.. Martinez is a strange appointment but not too risky.. i would have loved if they were brave or insane enough to hire retired LVG, who lives in Portugal anyway.. i guess the big headed Dutchman can go to Belgium now and do the rebuild that Martinez was affraid or unable to do haha

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Isnt this the clown who got exposed in Wigan ? Why these big nation keep giving him chances ? Did he blackmail the head of federations to leak their nudes ? Maybe Pogba should hire his witchdoctor :lol:

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Martinez since his EPL days. I'm a bit surprised that Portugal appointed him as a new manager. Maybe he will show us a big surprise, who knows. Portugal has a hell of talent like Bruno, Rafael Leao, Ramos, Dias, Cancelo, Bernado, etc. In terms of pure talents, I rate this Portugal squad as one of the best in the world alongside France, Brazil and England. If he can do his job well, Portugal will go far in Euro and WC.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Honestly i thought Portugal will get Mourinho.. Martinez is a strange appointment but not too risky.. i would have loved if they were brave or insane enough to hire retired LVG, who lives in Portugal anyway.. i guess the big headed Dutchman can go to Belgium now and do the rebuild that Martinez was affraid or unable to do haha
Maybe LVG will be the next Belgium manager, who knows?

Honestly, in my mind, I want to see LVG as a Belgium manager. His time as a full-time club manager has already ended.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/belgium...job-after-world-cup-campaign-with-netherlands

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
And Van Gaal already had said to the portuguese Media if they wanted to make him a phone call he would listen. My theory is that no one in the Portuguese Federation would try someone with so many strong convictions and personality, reason why they went for someone seen as more soft minded like Martinez.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
While I don't really rate Martinez, I prefer him to Mourinho. I want Mourinho miles away from our National team. Enough tumescent, defensive crap football. Has anyone seen Roma matches? Dreadful football. Let's see what Martinez does. Football quality can't be worse than Santos

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
That’s an absolutely horrendous appointment that. How on Earth does he keep getting big jobs at teams with really good squads?

Yet another nation where he will destroy any chance of winning anything.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's hard to get decent managers for national teams. While it's an underwhelming appointment, it's better than other names like Mourinho or freaking Rui Jorge. The names like Jorge Jesus or Abel Ferreira are not attainable. Belgium had a poor world cup but if it wasn't for donkey Lukaku, they would get out of group stage at least.

Speaking of Lukaku, saw Monza vs Inter and my god he really is an atrocious footballer. Not a single decent play. Portuguese commentator was desperate regarding his contribution. Any Primavera footballer would do better than him. Waste of wages.

mu4c_20le

Am I the only one here who seems to remember Martinez doing fairly well with Everton? If he can replicate that style then this young Portugal side are in for a treat.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I wouldn't mind Bielsa. We would probably win nothing but it would be entertaining.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

What weird spell does this nothing Bloke have over people in this sport.
It's not just him.
Most national team managers are extremely average.
There are very few actual top coaches who choose to go into NT management before their 60s

fallengt

Ruined Wigan. Ruined Belgium's golden generation. Portugal's golden generation is next.
His agent must be a genius