Portugal | WC 2022 Discussion | Roberto Martinez to become next manager

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I think my favorite version was between 2008 and 2013 or so when he was still unplayable but incredibly efficient at the same time. I was never a big fan of the showboating on the sideline. Not that I don't love skills but Cristiano tended to do them purely for entertainment, not to dribble somebody. That was always the difference to somebody like Ronaldinho or later Neymar for me. But when he cut that away and still regularly dribbled past two or three players and was involved in all sorts of way in the majority of attacks.. that was something else.

I'm also more optimistic of the future in this regard. There are lots of very exciting players out there that still dribble a lot and entertain the crowds. Personally, I have not given up on Sancho and Felix - those two are so much fun to watch on their day.
By Felix you mean João?

He is a strange player if you ask me, what stood out at a younger age was his decision making, more than dribbling or finishing, he needs to sort out what’s his best position/role, doesn’t help the stupid expectations and price tag associated with that Mendes snake around him.

But he isn’t as entertaining as Cristiano was with the same age. The Sancho situation looks even more stupid, everybody talks about him as an ex player.

Regarding young players at European level the most exciting is Musiala to watch, and let’s see how Wirtz recovers from injury.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
By Felix you mean João?

He is a strange player if you ask me, what stood out at a younger age was his decision making, more than dribbling or finishing, he needs to sort out what’s his best position/role, doesn’t help the stupid expectations and price tag associated with that Mendes snake around him.

But he isn’t as entertaining as Cristiano was with the same age. The Sancho situation looks even more stupid, everybody talks about him as an ex player.

Regarding young players at European level the most exciting is Musiala to watch, and let’s see how Wirtz recovers from injury.
Was referring more to skill moves and Musiala uses them very rarely. Wirtz is a bit different but still far away from Quersma or CR7 stylewise. But of course very exciting players. Pedri and Gavi also spring to mind in this context.

And I love watching Joao Felix. I think when he finally joins a positive team he'll be one of my favorite players to watch. Sometimes reminds me a bit of Isco.

Raw

He'll probably get a better tune out of the attacking players but that's such an underwhelming appointment.

Member 125398

A Spaniard managing Portugal, a shite one at that. This will go down really well, I'm sure.

Heinzesight

Even though he’s not had hair for years, it still surprises me every time I see him and he’s bald.

Anyway, what a terrible appointment.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Is it April already!? What the actual feck is this

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Weird decision. His teams tend to lack a certain mental strength, ruthless streak and defensive discipline.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Well Portugal aren’t a contender at the next few tournaments.

led_scholes

Suprised by some of the comments regarding Martinez here. Martinez is a good manager who has won the Fa Cup and almost reached the top four with Everton.

In 2018 they were great and imo the best team in the tournament (above France). Is not his fault Hazard, Lukaku and Carasco (to name a few) could not maintain their level and some became pub players with beer belly.

If anything the previous manager completely ruined them in 2016 when his go to tactic was to sub in Fellaini who coulndt keep up with a Championship level, job-less striker. He is in fault of course that he made the same mistake as last year and picked the pensioners again.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:lol:

he will start CR7 just like he kept on starting Hazard

Anustart89

Ah yes, the perfect replacement for someone who has wasted your country’s golden generation.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
His style will suit their attackers but he will need to do much better coaching their defence if he's to win anything. Still, Pepe is going strong so maybe he will just organise them all on Martinez' behalf :lol:

Zoo

He’s cheap and talks a good game but is not up to it. A crying shame for Portugal.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Oh my fecking god. How is this prick allowed to ruin another great generation of players. fecking parasite

crossy1686

career ending
He’s cheap and talks a good game but is not up to it. A crying shame for Portugal.
This is it really. He's willing to do it for less than everyone else and FA's love that. Plus, he'll just pick up the phone and call Nuno Gomes, Rui Costa, Figo etc and ask them to come and do the actual coaching.

kaku06

feck this shit. I’m not Portuguese but even I’m triggered over this buffoon getting appointed to waste another golden generation of players. This shameless moron should be binned from football forever.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's a shame Mourinho isn't available for them. Despite his faults, I think he'd suit international football well at this point in his career. He's still somewhat competant as a cup manager.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
How does he keep getting jobs?!
Seriously scratching my head. I am shocked that Portugal, with all the quality coaches they have, would a chose a foreigner. And not just a foreigner but a SPANISH coach. And not just a Spanish coach but one who appears to be relatively average at the elite level. How?! Why?!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Absolutely unreal.

No wonder people talk about the managerial merry go round.