PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 02 November 2014

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm not too disappointed. I thin we played well inn that second half. Valencia was brilliant after a shaky first half. We had another performance from Fellaini to suggest that he does have a future at the club. We saw the return of Carrick, who was a rock at the back, and Rooney performed well considering it was his first game back after suspension. I'm proud of the way we went down fighting and just disappointed we didn't take one of those chances near the end. But any hope I had of us getting something out of the game went when Smalling got sent off.

If anything, this game has cemented my feelings towards Van Gaal's tenure so far. We saw clear signs that we're heading in the right direction, but once again one of our defenders has reinforced the feeling that until we buy a better, more reliable CB all our progress risks being undermined by our defence. We're building a house on sand. It's starting to look like a nice house, but that doesn't make the sand any less of a threat.

Matty7

Chris Smalling cost us potentially 3 points as they were there for the taking. City should of had a couple pens so we were lucky there. Other than that we did well with 10 men and if anything looked likely to nick a point.

ell

There were 2 scandalous things in that match, Smalling's absolutely moronic actions, and from a non bias point of view, how the ref didn't give city at least 1 penalty.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just hope that we can find some defenders to wheel out for the next game
Carrick and McNair might be our best defenders to be fair. Both of them can pass and aren't idiots. Which we cannot say for our other four defenders.

Moonred

Not completely disappointed as I had zero expectation of winning against them, but I wait for the day when our defenders show a bit of maturity that comes with experience. Such a stupid way to accumulate a yellow. Smalling Ffs.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Moral victories are for minor league coaches. They deserved at least two penalties and had some very good chances. We only were semi-dangerous. Respect for the effort and it's not that bad a result, but this was just sad.

Shark

@NotShark
There are a lot of positives to take from that, but it's hard to see them right now when you look at the result. Smalling cost us big time and to be honest he sickens me. Two of the most retarded yellow cards I've ever seen.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Liverpool had these exacts fixtures around christmas (Chelsea, city) and lost both. They went on to finish 2nd. I think we showed a lot of character today and the future is bright for this team.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
McNair should be starting every game for us. He's our most confident and assured centre-back at present.
Absolutely. He allowed a couple of headers, for which he should have done better, but overall he has looked our best defender so far this season.

De Gea and the ref saved us from a total embarrasment today. We showed fight in the last 30 minutes today, though that shouldn't be taken as a positive. We have 13 points from 10 game. We are in troble.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
City were there for the taking in the first half - they were nervous as hell. We continued our boring shitty slow build-up, but I felt we would have got a draw a least if Smalling wasn't such a bloody tool.

I hope the club gives him the maximum fine, he's cost us points today. Needs to be gotten rid of in January, he simply isn't good enough.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
We've matched City and Chelsea in the last two games. Happy with that, although to only have the one point from them is annoying.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Very disappointing result. We played well enough at times that you have to think 11 v 11 we could have beaten City. That last 25 minutes shows, after two losses on the trot their confidence was shaky, with 11 men we would have been able to apply sustained pressure and played on their nerves. Hard to feel positive about losing even though there are positives to take from the game.

We should have tested Hart more. We got to the edge of City's box a lot in the second half but I cannot remember Hart having to dive to make saves. Given that Hart is a keeper with a mistake in him I felt we missed a trick not shooting from distance more. Di Maria was particularly guilty of fannying about on the edge of the area.

On the subject of Di Maria, I think we need to vary our set pieces. Some of his were abysmal today. We had a shot on from the edge of the box. Why not Van Persie or Rooney, who have both scored free kicks at the emptyhad? As for his corners...if Nani had hit those the CAF would have erupted.

Genuinely looking forward to Falcao coming back. Do not think we have looked as penetrating or effective since we ditched the diamond, I've thought that since we drew at West Brom. Januzaj is not in form. Di Maria looks less effective when he dribbles up against a full back rather than between the lines from midfield. We've played well/very well at times but its nothing to write home about really.

Oh well...

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Why isnt Mcnair starting ahead of Rojo or Smalling anyway, both are terrible defenders whilst Mcnair seems decent, also ADM's form seems a bit concerning.

Suspensions affect you a lot harder now because when a player is suspended for say 3 games they miss up to a month out rather than being able to play in midweek games or using suspensions up in cup games. That said Rooney looked good today, maybe the break did him some good.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Twice McNair could have been at fault for a goal had Toure been more clinical (the header and the turn and curling effort).

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Last two three seasons most of us in here wouldn't have even thought about getting a result after going down a man and a goal against City away. But even with McNair and Carrick in that backline, we had a belief.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
McNair should be starting every game for us. He's our most confident and assured centre-back at present.
Agreed. He looks surprisingly composed given his age and experience. Have a feeling this is the beginning of a long career at OT for him.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
11 vs 11 and I feel confident we would have won that. City were there for the taking and were a bag of nerves in the last 15 minutes. We're showing a lot of fight, but it's still annoying not to be picking up wins. Smalling's first booking was stupid as feck. Absolutely needless. Nobody ever blocks the keepers kick and gets away with it, otherwise players would be doing it every week.

Rooney, Fellaini, Blind and De Gea were huge. Shaw did really well defensively. He's fantastic in the tackle. Carrick and McNair did well when they came on.

Valencia did really well in spells, winning some tricky one on ones and physical challenges. But then he is found watching the ball and in completely the wrong place. He'd be a terrific full back if he kept his concentration for the full 90.

I don't think City played well, but certainly took advantage of the extra man. The goal was coming.

Woodzy

To be honest, even before the red, a Blind-Fellaini midfield was never going to do much against City. Not to mention this was the first game of Rooney's "easing his way back into professional football after an extended period out."

Need Herrera back. ADM should play in the centre. Valencia should never play again. Smalling's second yellow is at least 30% Valencia's fault.
Our midfield was all over them for the first 20 minutes. We crumbled because of our defence and their weak mentality.

stu_1992

Very frustrating, City were there for the taking at the end but we just couldn't capitalise. Very annoyed at Smalling, first yellow was so stupid and obviously ridiculous to tackle like he did when on a yellow. It's not an embarrassing loss at least. We actually played quite well, especially considering that makeshift defence. Promising signs, if only we had kept 10 men. Though I must say we got lucky with penalty appeals.

Leg-End

Why isnt Mcnair starting ahead of Rojo or Smalling anyway, both are terrible defenders whilst Mcnair seems decent, also ADM's form seems a bit concerning.
He was starting ahead of them, then got injured like all our defenders do.

Devil may care

Poor first half from us both with the sloppiness of the passing and the stupid red card for Smalling, he has zero excuses. I was pleased with the spirit in the second half and after City scored we looked more likely to make it 1-1 than they did of making if 2-1.

The CB position is a huge concern though, it can't be fixed without buying IMO, and I worry about Di Maria if he continues to play wide, he wasn't terrible today but his effectiveness has been dulled by the switch out of the AM role.

I think we need to have a bit of a rethink with our CM set-up in general, we don't have a conductor in there and it showed in passages of play.

De Gea once again was excellent, need to get that 5 year contract signed ASAP.

Overall I'm gutted, can't lie, but at least the spirit in the team is back.

Zoo

Moral victories are for minor league coaches. They deserved at least two penalties and had some very good chances. We only were semi-dangerous. Respect for the effort and it's not that bad a result, but this was just sad.
Both their penalty claims were when we were down to 10 men. Who knows what would have happened if Smalling hadn't been so stupid.

ZDwyr

Just wanted to say that Luke Shaw was brilliant IMO. Good fighting spirit. But feck I hate City. I hope we do them at OT badly.

Dylan94

I wouldn't have cared what the result was after Smalling got sent off. But given that we were still in the game for the final 20-25 minutes we should have got something from it.

Litch

I'm not too disappointed. I thin we played well inn that second half. Valencia was brilliant after a shaky first half. We had another performance from Fellaini to suggest that he does have a future at the club. We saw the return of Carrick, who was a rock at the back, and Rooney performed well considering it was his first game back after suspension. I'm proud of the way we went down fighting and just disappointed we didn't take one of those chances near the end. But any hope I had of us getting something out of the game went when Smalling got sent off.

If anything, this game has cemented my feelings towards Van Gaal's tenure so far. We saw clear signs that we're heading in the right direction, but once again one of our defenders has reinforced the feeling that until we buy a better, more reliable CB all our progress risks being undermined by our defence. We're building a house on sand. It's starting to look like a nice house, but that doesn't make the sand any less of a threat.
Agree. Our defenders constantly let us down. They can't be relied on either with their poor decision making or fitness levels. We need 3 players minimum.

Get In Scholesy

We were never going to beat City either way, but that was some impressive stuff. Nothing to show for it, though, which is bad.

Point-wise, we're worse off than last season. Play wise, we're lightyears ahead.
I hate comments/attitudes like this. Such garbage reasoning. Why not?

I have mixed feelings about this game. But I'm certainly a bit proud of how we played with 10 men, should have at least scored one goal I feel. I know Van Gaal will be annoyed as he should be. As it can be attributed to individual errors costing us the game once again.

As for Smalling, stupid stupid boy for lunging in like that. However, is it just me, or does anyone else think Valencia's shoddy positioning left him out to dry? Mind you, that doesn't forgive him for his tackle, but maybe a proper full back presence wouldn't have allowed Milner with that much time and space in behind the defence. I may be wrong though, as I haven't fully analyzed the images of the goal.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The good thing is we only lost by 1 goal. Lucky to not concede a penalty or two. Didn't create too many chances. Defense still a huge problem.

RORY65

Difficult game to judge because I thought City were pretty poor, even in the first half we seemed to have a better balance in midfield but cocked up every decent situation and it was inevitable that at least one of our defenders would do something idiotic. There's clearly a bit more confidence and spirit in the team but we still could've conceded several if the referee had given the penalties he probably should have and we didn't create anything until we were behind. I get why people are positive about the way are things are going and I do believe that Van Gaal will get it right with time but the performances and results are still a bit disappointing given how much we've spent.

DevilRed

Undone by the red card. I think we would have gotten a point (at least) had we kept 11 on the pitch.

Having said that lets not forget that we were torn apart at least twice by our silly little high defensive line. DDG was immense yet again.

Not sure why we keep playing such a high line...but players like Rojo always seem to be dropping deeper and not having full trust in his other defenders. Its caused us to concede a few too many chances...not to mention was the primary reason why Smalling had to cover for an out of position Valencia which led to the red card.

Something needs to be done about this defence but at this point im not sure what. We cant even keep the same back four for two consecutive matches. We've now got Rafael, Smalling and Rojo out for at least the next match. Its borderline insane.

Good effort by the team in the second half though. They really tried and ran till they dropped. Unlucky not get something out of this.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Ref had a mare. City should have had a couple yellows early but most importantly city should have had 3 pens. Smalling should give a months salary to his favourite charity. How can a so-called professional player take 2 yellows like that? Fellaini is an odd player. Does well high up the pitch. Put him anywhere near our back 4 and he's a total liability.

BW.k

Very good fighting spirit towards the end. Could have been a different result if it wasn't for Smalling's couple of silly mistakes.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 477 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man City 1:2 Man Utd
  • 11% Man City 2:2 Man Utd