PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 02 November 2014

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
One thing I know for sure after today, City wont win a pot this season.

vibe

I hate comments/attitudes like this. Such garbage reasoning. Why not?

I have mixed feelings about this game. But I'm certainly a bit proud of how we played with 10 men, should have at least scored one goal I feel. I know Van Gaal will be annoyed as he should be. As it can be attributed to individual errors costing us the game once again.

As for Smalling, stupid stupid boy for lunging in like that. However, is it just me, or does anyone else think Valencia's shoddy positioning left him out to dry? Mind you, that doesn't forgive him for his tackle, but maybe a proper full back presence wouldn't have allowed Milner with that much time and space in behind the defence. I may be wrong though, as I haven't fully analyzed the images of the goal.
Coulda shoulda woulda, he did what he did. Not saying he should be lynched for it. Everyone makes mistakes and sometimes mistakes have huge impacts.

That doesn't change the fact that Chris Smalling is the biggest reason we lost today. The faster he himself owns up to it and gets over it, the faster he can learn from it and get better.

Dylan94

Jones and Smalling need to leave. 2 world class centre backs in January. Shaw and Valencia were fantastic. Rooney was good. De Gea his usual brilliant self. Di Maria was the worst player on the pitch by far. Van Persie a close second.

Zoo

As well as Joe Hart. Apparently sticking your head into the ref isn't even a yellow. Who knew...
Yeah no comment from Neville and Tyler on that. England's golden boy protected as usual.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think given the whole game and fight towards the end we deserved a point. City really folded towards the end and we should have taken one of our chances. Rooney, Di Maria, Fellaini and van Persie all had opportunities and we only needed one of them to go in.

The red card cost us but I felt Carrick and McNair did really well coming at the back.

Rooney did well first game back playing in the advanced CM role.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Showed a lot of heart! Smalling is an Asshole! That sending off sums up our centre of defence no experience! Would love to have even Demichalis he would do great for us!

entropy

We could have done better without starting Januzaj and have mata in instead.But then the red card just fecked everything for us in terms of tactics.

MarcRed96

I'm confident we would have won that game if Smalling hadn't been so stupid.

Absolutely gutted that we lost but I was really pleased with the heart we showed, especially towards the end. On another day, we could have at least grabbed a point from this.

Shaw was MOTM for me. Gave absolutely everything and I've been really impressed with him so far. De Gea and Fellaini were good as well.

FromTheBench

The fight last 30 odd minutes only good thing.

Could have nicked a draw but dissapointing.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Presumably because Smalling/Rojo did alright against your lot. Think today put that one to bed.
They did but they were up against an aging Drogba where movement isnt going to be too much of an issue. Aguero is a different proposition. I think Mc Nair should be starting from now on, as he may well have been anyway.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I'm disappointed but also hugely encouraged. Most teams would get absolutely battered being down to 10 men at the Etihad (1-6?) City were shitting it at the end. Proud of the lads for that second half.

Our defence actually looked a lot calmer when McNair came on - think he could be a star.
A year ago we'd have probably lost 4-0. Definitely making progress. If we had 11 men throughout we probably could have got something.

FromTheBench

Showed a lot of heart! Smalling is an Asshole! That sending off sums up our centre of defence no experience! Would love to have even Demichalis he would do great for us!
Demechils in this high line and our organization would look even more clueless.

Deleted member 78215

Our midfield was all over them for the first 20 minutes. We crumbled because of our defence and their weak mentality.
If by all over them you mean we dominated the passing on the halfway line, then yeah. Once we got into the final third we were barren.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Yes there is progress.
Yes Smalling is a tool and shouldn't be playing for us
Yes there is some spirit back in the squad but, let's call a spade a spade here, City should have had a few penalties and if it weren't for two great saves, should have been 2 up before the red card.

They carved us open quite a bit while we didn't threaten until the last 15 mins.

13 points from 10 games is utterly shocking and can't be dressed up any other way.

Having said that, there is no hope of City catching Chelsea.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
As much as losing to those so-and-sos sucks, this was further proof we're moving in the right direction. I reckon we'll be the second best side in the league come January and top 4 should be a piece of urine.

McMarmite

Soon as smalling got that yellow, i could smell the red. Players like smalling and rojo should be our 3rd and 4th choice centre backs. Just tired of these bargain bucket defenders when we spend 20 million on a loan striker.

We need to have one experianced defender and one promising future world class defender.

Go get someone like howedes for 15 mil. And then go for laporte for 30. Simple.
A defence of jones laporte smalling howedes and rojo will be absolutely fine

JUPITER

I am saying Rooney had a good game so not sure what your argument is?
Check how many times he gave unpressured possession to City in the first half from a midfield position, and check how many of their attacks came from that.

It was a mistake from Van Gaal to play him there.

An Irish Red

Yeah no comment from Neville and Tyler on that. England's golden boy protected as usual.
I thought I was seeing things with that, v.aggressive from Hart.
If you stick your head into an opponent it's a straight red. You'd expect that to be enforced just as strictly (if not more so) when it's a ref.

We're not getting the breaks so far.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Agree. Our defenders constantly let us down. They can't be relied on either with their poor decision making or fitness levels. We need 3 players minimum.
Maybe not 3, but we definitely need at least one - desperately. Until the opportunity to strengthen comes around I agree with everyone calling for McNair to be the first centre back on the team sheet. I'm increasingly of the opinion that Jones, Evans and Smalling are lost causes because of a combination of their injury proneness and their susceptibility to lapses in concentration, so now is the time for LvG to mould McNair into the centre back we need. Rojo is another that doesn't fill me with confidence, but he's at an early enough stage in his United career to be given more time (also helps that our options are limited).

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I hate comments/attitudes like this. Such garbage reasoning. Why not?

I have mixed feelings about this game. But I'm certainly a bit proud of how we played with 10 men, should have at least scored one goal I feel. I know Van Gaal will be annoyed as he should be. As it can be attributed to individual errors costing us the game once again.

As for Smalling, stupid stupid boy for lunging in like that. However, is it just me, or does anyone else think Valencia's shoddy positioning left him out to dry? Mind you, that doesn't forgive him for his tackle, but maybe a proper full back presence wouldn't have allowed Milner with that much time and space in behind the defence. I may be wrong though, as I haven't fully analyzed the images of the goal.
Exactly. Stoke beat City at the Emptyhad, as did Newcastle just midweek. Why couldn't we go there and win? On the evidence of my eyes we could have easily won that. Even after Smalling got sent off had Di Maria's delivery been better or we'd have dallied about less around the box we'd have gotten goals today. Its a times like this I especially miss Ronaldo. You know he'd have got p'd at the fannying about and just started smashing them at Hart from range, and knowing Hart he'd have fumbled one.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Demechils in this high line and our organization would look even more clueless.
No way! Rojo and Smalling are all over the shop as they don't know how to manage the line not because it high as its them who are in charge of it! Need a couple of leaders with experience back in there!

siw2007

Thought it was going to be a nightmare to watch but we actually put in a fairly good performance given the circumstances.

Smalling is an outright idiot and brain dead. There is no excuse for those 2 bookings. LVG wants his players to play with their heads yet Smalling has perhaps provided one of the most needless sending offs in my recent memory. I reckon we would have got something from the game without the red.

Despite losing Rojo and Smalling we did rather well in defence. I know that there were 3 clear pens but we were resolute and put in some good performances here including De Gea who was once again excellent, Shaw put in his best display yet and McNair wasn't fazed. Our attacking players did okay, Fellaini had another good how while Rooney and Di Maria showed flashes of their ability at times. Perhaps we should have done better with some of our chances like when Rooney ran through the Man City defence including nutmegging Kompany.

We shouldn't throw a hissy fit over this result because it was a good performance again and I am sure the results will follow soon.

On another note, City are the champions and have many great players including Aguero who is scary good. But, it is clear they are getting complacent and unless they can shake it then it will cost them further results and ultimately trophies.

jaimoe

Check how many times he gave unpressured possession to City in the first half from a midfield position, and check how many of their attacks came from that.

Rooney was our best attacking player today. he should have taken that shot late but I thought he did very well today.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
We could have done better without starting Januzaj and have mata in instead.But then the red card just fecked everything for us in terms of tactics.
So in those 35 minutes that Januzaj was on, your take away from this whole match was that we'd have done better had Mata played his role hugging the right side touchline? That's your verdict is it?

Minimalist

Smalling ruined the game with his stupidity. Can't be trusted again.

Decent effort from the players for the rest of the game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Encouraging but ultimately no result, again. We have to start picking up the points our performances probably deserve and I'm sure we will. But still, before the red we were decent enough, comfortable but not doing enough going forward. Definitely think we would have got something if Smalling wasn't an idiot. Seriously, feck him. Let everyone at the club down today with that.

Di Maria wasn't at his best as we were so defensive after the red, but he came alive at the end and caused problems. Rooney started the game off really poorly but then put in a good performance, though why he didn't shoot after that run I don't know. Van Persie looked sharp, not sure if I would have taken him off personally. Blind is class, just looks better every game. Great to have Carrick back and he looked excellent when he came on, really missed him. Shaw and Valencia played well too, bar a couple of moments in the first half when they were caught out. De Gea is amazing and finally getting the recognition he deserves.

Fellaini I thought was "meh" at best. Pretty clumsy and didn't get around enough. Missed that great chance with his head. Hopefully Herrera comes in for him in the next game. Rojo was poor, and now he's injured. Though I was probably more confident on the whole with McNair and Carrick at the back then Smalling and Rojo, which probably says it all.

I'm pleased enough, only 1-0 which isn't too bad considering the back 4 and Smalling getting a red. The way we responded to going a goal down was very encouraging as well, we could easily have grabbed something from the game.

Walters_19_MuFc

Thought we were the better team with eleven men. Unfortunately, Smalling had a rush of blood and from there it was always going to be hard, but I think the lads give a great effort today, and ran their socks off until the last minute.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
A encouraging performance but what is disappointing and kind of theme this season is that glaring individual errors are costing us valuable points. If we compare with last season, our football is better, there is more purpose in play and we create good chances but defensive errors keep costing us. Had it not been 11v10 today, we definitely were good to get something from game. Even with 10 men and losing another CB through injury, we limited the chances City could create and created few ourselves. I have liked the intensity we have shown in last couple of games. We need to keep it up and cut out the individual mistakes. A strong run of wins is needed now.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
DiMichelis looks like the kind of sleazy bastard that offers oral sex to a hooker. I can't believe we couldn't out on past him and a clearly half arsed Kompany.

Litch

Maybe not 3, but we definitely need at least one - desperately. Until the opportunity to strengthen comes around I agree with everyone calling for McNair to be the first centre back on the team sheet. I'm increasingly of the opinion that Jones, Evans and Smalling are lost causes because of a combination of their injury proneness and their susceptibility to lapses in concentration, so now is the time for LvG to mould McNair into the centre back we need. Rojo is another that doesn't fill me with confidence, but he's at an early enough stage in his United career to be given more time (also helps that our options are limited).
We need a right back. Rafa just isn't consistent enough. We need 2x CB cause not sure about any of the CB at the club.....

TheReligion

Abusive

You seem to be the only person harping on about this and discrediting Rooney's performance. I thought his high tempo and work rate was well suited to the role today and when down to 10 men he still had the drive to create.

The issue we had was the sending off and the back four, more notably the CB and RB positions.

Dylan94

This.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Positives
  • Shaw is starting to show his quality and has all the ingredients to cement that position for the foreseeable future
  • LvG looks like he can get a lot more from Fellaini that Moyes did at United
  • Rooney and Carrick performed well on their returns to the team (albeit with too many sloppy passes from Rooney in the first half)
  • Not only did we show good fighting spirit in pursuit of a goal towards the end, but we did it intelligently rather than just going gung-ho recklessly
  • Another couple of good saves from De Gea
  • I felt Blind played well and he's settled some of my concerns about him in the bigger games
  • Valencia recovered from a shaky start to really step up in the second half
  • More minutes for the juice
Negatives
  • Smalling
  • Rojo's injury
  • Smalling
  • No points
  • Smalling
  • Wasted a couple of good chances that you need to take in the biggest matches
  • Smalling
  • Di Maria needs to be taken off corner duty
  • Smalling
  • City really seemed to lose their momentum towards the end and were denied two penalties (one of which was a stonewall penalty), which makes it harder for us to truly assess our positive end to the game
  • Smalling

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 477 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man City 1:2 Man Utd